Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,291 members, 7,780,680 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:23 PM

Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers (67962 Views)

Hey Book Lovers! What Book(s) Are You Currently Reading? / Would This Fly For Book Lovers? / Nairaland Book Of Puns- Lovers Of Wordplay, Let's Pun! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (30) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Sleekyshuga(f): 10:41pm On Aug 01, 2016
@Teespice, thanks for the mention darling..

@Obinoscopy, apt description smiley.. You are in for a jolly ride cheesy. For me, Americanah remains her best work.

#ForTheLoveOfBooks..
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by bibijay123(f): 10:41pm On Aug 01, 2016
Obinoscopy:
Sure

Send me a pm.

Thank you.
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Obinoscopy(m): 10:45pm On Aug 01, 2016
Teespice:

cc: sleekyshuga
Welcome Teespice. Glad you're here smiley
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Obinoscopy(m): 10:48pm On Aug 01, 2016
Sleekyshuga:

@Obinoscopy, apt description smiley.. You are in for a jolly ride cheesy. For me, Americanah remains her best work.

#ForTheLoveOfBooks..
Really? Wow, guess I'll enjoy this ride. Maybe we'll ride together? wink cheesy
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by MidasTouche01(m): 10:52pm On Aug 01, 2016
Anybody reading Dan Brown's Langdon series here

Angels and Demons
DaVinci's Code
Lost Symbol
Inferno
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Sleekyshuga(f): 10:54pm On Aug 01, 2016
Obinoscopy:
Really? Wow, guess I'll enjoy this ride. Maybe we'll ride together? wink cheesy
Hahahahahaha... I'm done riding, and not spilling tongue. Take you time, picture every scene, and you'll be glad you did.

It's an intriguing book.
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Obinoscopy(m): 10:56pm On Aug 01, 2016
Obinoscopy:
Sure

Send me a pm.
Sent @Bibijay123
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by bibijay123(f): 10:57pm On Aug 01, 2016
Obinoscopy:
Sent @Bibijay123

Thank you!
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Obinoscopy(m): 10:58pm On Aug 01, 2016
Sleekyshuga:

Hahahahahaha... I'm doing riding, and not spilling tongue. Take you time, picture every scene, and you'll be glad you did.

It's an intriguing book.
I'll take my time dear. Thanks for the heads up. And of course......no spilling, just riding !) grin
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Obinoscopy(m): 11:00pm On Aug 01, 2016
bibijay123:

Thank you!
You welcome dear. Let's take a ride into Chimamanda's world.
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by bibijay123(f): 11:25pm On Aug 01, 2016
Obinoscopy:
You welcome dear. Let's take a ride into Chimamanda's world.

Am so excited!

#ForTheLoveofBooks

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Teespice(f): 3:06am On Aug 02, 2016
Obinoscopy:
Welcome Teespice. Glad you're here smiley

sorry I even saw the mention late.

nothing can separate me from literature. hehe
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Teespice(f): 3:10am On Aug 02, 2016
I have read americanah. that book left me learning a lot of lessons and I can say it is worth reading over and over again.

#fortheloveofbooks.
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Teespice(f): 3:11am On Aug 02, 2016
Sleekyshuga:

#ForTheLoveOfBooks..

anytime.

I knew you would be interested in a thread like this.
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by kaybams1(m): 5:32am On Aug 02, 2016
Obinoscopy:
Guys I've commenced reading Chimamanda's novel, Americanah. Just finished reading Chapter One. Will read the next chapter later today.

This is the first Chimamanda's novel I'm reading. She writes just like Chinua Achebe except, of course, for her use of contemporary words. Her use of simple, easy to understand words is very appealing......just like her mentor Achebe (I'm not even sure he's her mentor but her writing suggests so). Also love the Nigerian characters she used in the novel: Ifemelu, Uju, Ginika, Obinze, Dike, etc. I also noticed they are mostly of the Igbo tribe.

Loved her sense of humour too. That part where she depicted how some African Americans of Anglophone origin made a caricature of the phrase: "I'm like, Oh God, I was so mad" to read "Amma, Oh Gad, Az someh" got me laughing. Reminds me of that Etisalat advert: "Amma tell you son'n (nasalised)." Also the part where Ifemelu had to cast a mocking look at the tattered looking Aisha when she (Aisha) was bragging about her two Igbo boyfriends got me laughing.

Her grammatical construct is okay, although I'll have to read a full more chapters to have a full grasp of it. Her use of words is quite possessive and authoritative. For example, the part where she said Princeton "smelled of nothing" got me wondering. She further compounded my confusion by talking of towns that "smelled of neglect" and towns with "musty scent of history." Her sense of smell must be very deep grin. Also loved the way she used some seemingly common words for uncommon sentences. For instance, the part where she said the residents "drove with pointed courtesy. " She sure has a strong command of words, I must say.

Finally, I must warn that you must have a very strong imaginative mind lest you get lost in her novel . The way she transits from one stage to other while still centred on a character is very unique. When Ifemelu was on the train bound for Trenton, the author took us to several places which were far distinct from the train but were all centred on Ifemelu and the reason she's on that particular train bound for Trenton.

All in all, I think it's a nice novel. And I'm now obsessed (albiet not compulsively) to finishing it cheesy.

#ForTheLoveOfBooks

Wow. awesome review. You've made my mental picture of the plot and style of writing clear already without having read the book yet. I think that's how Achebe wrote too in his later years. Anthills of the Savannah similarly has this complicated switching of plots when he wanted to take us down memory lane. Thanks. #fortheloveofbooks

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by kaybams1(m): 7:04am On Aug 02, 2016
MidasTouche01:
Anybody reading Dan Brown's Langdon series here

Angels and Demons
DaVinci's Code
Lost Symbol
Inferno

Do you have the soft copies of Da Vinci code and Angels and demons?
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by MidasTouche01(m): 7:10am On Aug 02, 2016
kaybams1:

Do you have the soft copies of Da Vinci code and Angels and demons?

I have all the series....

I just finished reading the Lost Symbol, now moving on to Inferno (these books are addictive)
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by kaybams1(m): 7:19am On Aug 02, 2016
MidasTouche01:

I have all the series....

I just finished reading the Lost Symbol, now moving on to Inferno (these books are addictive)

Sent you a pm. kindly send them to me. thanks.
#fortheloveofbooks
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by MidasTouche01(m): 7:42am On Aug 02, 2016
kaybams1:

Sent you a pm. kindly send them to me. thanks.
#fortheloveofbooks

No problem..

#ForTheLoveOfBooks
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Sleekyshuga(f): 8:29am On Aug 02, 2016
Teespice:

anytime.

I knew you would be interested in a thread like this.
Indeed smiley.. Good morning.

Hope you slept well? Best of today..

#ForTheLoveOfBooks
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Poorboy: 8:34am On Aug 02, 2016
Sleekyshuga:

#ForTheLoveOfBooks
You have been holding that bag since at ur profile picture, your hand no pain you?
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Sleekyshuga(f): 8:46am On Aug 02, 2016
Poorboy:
You have been holding that bag since at ur profile picture, your hand no pain you?
You hear say na human being head dey inside?

grin grin Oya, coman take it, and relieve me of the pain..

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Poorboy: 8:48am On Aug 02, 2016
Sleekyshuga:

You hear say na human being head dey inside?

grin grin Oya, coman take it, and relieve me of the pain..
Hahahahahaha i dey come Ph where u dey?
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Teespice(f): 9:15am On Aug 02, 2016
Sleekyshuga:

#ForTheLoveOfBooks

morning.
I slept very well. rain fell and it was cold for comfort.
have a nice day.
#fortheloveofbooks

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Obinoscopy(m): 5:20pm On Aug 02, 2016
Finished Chapter Two (which concludes Part One). I don't want to jump the gun here but I have the feeling the novel will be centred around Ifemelu and Obinze. I'm guessing Obinze will re-awaken the love between both of them despite the fact that he's married to Kosi.......fingers crossed.

Jotted down some words I need to look up in my oldfashioned Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary 7th Ed. (I'm so attached to that dictionary). The words include: gothic, hectoring, melded, eponymous, histrionics, augury, frisson, languorous, colonnaded, sequinned, etc.

I might be tempted to say Americannah has lots of "polysyllabic words" as Femi (a cast in the novel) would say, but all in all I still maintain my position that Chimamanda uses simple day-to-to words.

#ForTheLoveOfBooks

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by bibijay123(f): 6:40pm On Aug 02, 2016
Obinoscopy:
Finished Chapter Two (which concludes Part One). I don't want to jump the gun here but I have the feeling the novel will be centred around Ifemelu and Obinze. I'm guessing Obinze will re-awaken the love between both of them despite the fact that he's married to Kosi.......fingers crossed.

Jotted down some words I need to look up in my oldfashioned Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary 7th Ed. (I'm so attached to that dictionary). The words include: gothic, hectoring, melded, eponymous, histrionics, augury, frisson, languorous, colonnaded, sequinned, etc.

I might be tempted to say Americannah has lots of "polysyllabic words" as Femi (a cast in the novel) would say, but all in all I still maintain my position that Chimamanda uses simple day-to-to words.

#ForTheLoveOfBooks

I just finished chapter one, i love the way she ejects humour into her work but i think some words are better used in their simpler forms. I also underlined some new words, on a second thought I think it is good she used those grammars because they are educative #ForTheLoveOfBooks
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Obinoscopy(m): 6:47pm On Aug 02, 2016
bibijay123:

I just finished chapter one, i love the way she ejects humour into her work but i think some words are better used in their simpler forms. I also underlined some new words, on a second thought I think it is good she used those grammars because they are educative #ForTheLoveOfBooks
Yea, she sure does have a good sense of humour. The part where she said Obinze became intoxicated (high) by peppersoup in Chaper Two got me laughing. I never knew one could get high with peppersoup grin. Yea, those grammars are educating. Learnt a few words and figurative expressions thanks to Americannah.

#ForTheLoveOfBooks
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by bibijay123(f): 6:57pm On Aug 02, 2016
Obinoscopy:
Yea, she sure does have a good sense of humour. The part where she said Obinze became intoxicated (high) by peppersoup in Chaper Two got me laughing. I never knew one could get high with peppersoup grin. Yea, those grammars are educating. Learnt a few words and figurative expressions thanks to Americannah.

#ForTheLoveOfBooks

Loool. High on pepper soup? I think what makes one a good writer has much to do with how you can play with words. Hope to get to that stage someday. Going back to chapter 2.

#ForTheLoveOfBooks
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Obinoscopy(m): 7:11pm On Aug 02, 2016
bibijay123:

Loool. High on pepper soup? I think what makes one a good writer has much to do with how you can play with words. Hope to get to that stage someday. Going back to chapter 2.

#ForTheLoveOfBooks
Yea, mee too. Happy reading dear.

#ForTheLoveOfBooks
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Janet101(f): 7:22am On Aug 03, 2016
pweshboi:
I'll b glad if I can get the e-book of americana by chimamanda ngozi adichie

I have d hard copy
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by sirzee1660(m): 7:23am On Aug 03, 2016
Lolz Lolz Lolz
Re: Nairaland Book Club For Book Lovers by Tintinnoty(m): 7:28am On Aug 03, 2016
Finally this thread makes it to front page after months in doldrum

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (30) (Reply)

Tales Of Abigail / Ijeoma Oluo's "So You Want To Talk About Race" Is New York Number 1 Bestseller / As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.