Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,693 members, 7,802,025 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:06 AM

Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? - Culture (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? (90035 Views)

The 10 Most Expensive Cultures/tribes In Nigeria To Marry From / If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) / 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 11:27am On Apr 04, 2015
To a brother and friend. I admire your willingness, energy, and organizational abilities. Given a complex problem, you have a rare and enviable ability to find a simple solution. It is delightful to see how your eyes light up when you are working on new ideas. Thank you for the enthusiasm you added to our team. You are a great contributor. We hope you will be inspiring us with your innovative thinking for years to come, most especially as you come to represent us with the wind of POSITIVE CHANGE. Please vote for change. Thank you. — with Nnamdi Chukwudebelu — with Nnamdi Chukwudebelu.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 10:08am On May 27, 2015
CHM11:

Delta/Urhobo
Served in a PPA with 15 corpers, 11 were igbos and it was hell for the 4 of us non igbos.

and they rape'd you twice, didn't they?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by ValentineMary(m): 7:11am On May 29, 2015
CHM11:
Dear OP, please leave igbos alone if you are not igbo. Let them keep marrying themselves, its better for them.

I just pity peeps who date igbos!!,..especially igbos who live or have lived in the east...how do you cope with them??

Had to live amongst some east-based igbo guys and ladies during my NYSC..... Worst experience of my life....
Its worse that when they are told they are hard to understand, they all fall back to insulting in their local dialect.. You will hear things like ewu, anuofia etc...proving my point again....

igbo ndị karịsịa ndị na-dabeere nọ n'ebe ọwụwa anyanwụ dị
nnọọ na-akpa ọchị ndị mmadụ. Ha anaghị akpa àgwà ka
nkịtị mmadụ. Ndị njem dị anya ma obosara ịmụta na-akpa
àgwà dị mma ma ndị na-ahụ n'ebe ọwụwa anyanwụ bụ nanị
larịị na ụmụ anụmanụ. Onye ọ bụla na-anaghị amasị nwere
ike iji kacha nso eriri ka kpọgidere ya onwe ya. na-akpa ọchị
ndị mmadụ.

Plenty tongue out!!!!
so what's your point because u are talking too much nonsense.
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by CHM11: 9:06am On May 29, 2015
ValentineMary:
so what's your point because u are talking too much nonsense.

This early morning 1diot, thread that have decomposed is what you went to look for. Poo faced butthead!
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Agrika: 9:41am On Jul 21, 2015
Guests:
So after all the bashing and bad talks about the igbos, you still want to marry them? shocked
Ahahahahahaha

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by mabea: 9:37am On Aug 22, 2016
Anambra is not a tribe.
I have also seen a number of anambrarians marry from ebonyi state and other parts of igbo land.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by henchie201(m): 10:50am On Nov 24, 2016
If we look at the tribes/tradition/culture and judge whether someone should marry another differedifferent from h/her tribe/radition/culture even a different country, we are not looking at them as God does. That is sin.
First Samuel 16:7b says, “The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." So should we.

Every human bleeds red blood. We are all created in the image of God (Gen 1:26) and so we have no reason to forbid interracial marriage or to look down on those who choose to marry from different races, because “the LORD looks at the heart."

Let us all learn to accommodate and live with one another.
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by WomanOfRace(f): 11:24am On Nov 24, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Igbo bashing has become quite a common thing in Nigeria such that it has become normal to bash Igbo on every single thing, even on things that are meaningless.

You created this thread to ask why Igbo prefer to marry from their tribe. Are you really serious? This is a question you opened this thread for looking for 'answers'? Would you have opened this very thread in the first place had a Yoruba or Hausa guy been the one who preferred to marry from their tribe? Yes or No? Why would a Yoruba parent reject a non-yoruba suitor, and that will not be an issue. In fact, such action is justified. A Hausa parent will do the same and no dust will be raised about it. But when an Igbo parent does the same, then its a big deal. It is a serious issue that calls for serious attention and criticism, then you begin to get tags like ''Igbos are 'tribalistic'', 'they are 'selfish'', it is an 'Igbo problem' e.t.c. Minor issues that aren't issues when done by other tribes become a serious issue when Igbo is involved.

I look around me, majority Ibibios marry within the Ibibio tribe, majority Hausas marry within Hausa, Yoruba within Yoruba, why should the Igbo marrying within themselves even be a question in the first place? Despite the level of inter marriage between whites and blacks here in the US, majority whites marry within whites, chinese within chinese, blacks within blacks, and you're going to sit there and tell me that it is a problem when Igbos prefer to marry Igbos?? Like seriously??

I get your point about love being the most important factor between 2 people from different tribes and there are marriages between Igbo men and non-Igbo women however majority Igbos don't need to look outside for love when they can find it within themselves. The same love you mentioned as important, Igbo men get it from within the tribe. Why look outside? What about culture preservation and values? Why should Igbo preferring to marry from within even be an issue in the first place when other tribes are doing the same? Is the creation of this thread even justified in the first place?

Igbo people are tribalistic, they are evil, they love money, yet you want to marry them? Seriously?

Tomorrow you're going to open another thread asking 'Why do Igbo people speak Igbo?' Like seriously??

You are true son of the soil.
leave them o, they hate us yet want to be part of us.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by WomanOfRace(f): 11:27am On Nov 24, 2016
CHM11:

I've noticed that Nairalanders based in the USA can write long epistles, couldn't even finish my igbo brother's comment.
But I get his point.
@bigfrancis21 nice point, but here's my view.
Others do it doesn't make I right.
Additionally, Nigeria is made up of major 3 regions. North west and east. The people in the North inter marry freely, fulani, gwarri, benue, hausa, Tiv etc....people in the west intermarry freely too, yoruba, egun, badagry, etc. But because tribes in the EAST are much, igbo's don't like marrying others and its justified because it favours them better.

I for example wouldn't want any of family member to marry an igbo man or woman, I'd rather marry a yoruba or even a fulani. This is because I have not had a good experience as regards the igbos I've encountered in life.
All in all, igbos!!..marry yourselves, its good for you bcause other tribes will hardly understand your behavior and character.

Yes, you are right. We should marry ourselves because i'm still not happy we have to share a country with tribes that is always on our neck and still won't let us be.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Ngozi123(f): 4:17pm On Nov 24, 2016
henchie201:
If we look at the tribes/tradition/culture and judge whether someone should marry another differedifferent from h/her tribe/radition/culture even a different country, we are not looking at them as God does. That is sin.
First Samuel 16:7b says, “The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." So should we.

Every human bleeds red blood. We are all created in the image of God (Gen 1:26) and so we have no reason to forbid interracial marriage or to look down on those who choose to marry from different races, because “the LORD looks at the heart."

Let us all learn to accommodate and live with one another.

Who created all of these tribes?
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by CHM11: 8:55pm On Dec 08, 2016
WomanOfRace:

Yes, you are right. We should marry ourselves because i'm still not happy we have to share a country with tribes that is always on our neck and still won't let us be.

That post was made a sometime ago dear, I've learnt a lot over that short period of time...the world is small, we don't have enough time to be happy, not to talk of time to hate... I've met awesome Igbo's , really nice peeps who have shown me that my experience was probably because I was with inexposed persons during nysc. Life can be much better than it is now. I love my Igbo peeps as much as I love my delta peeps.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by AmuDimpka: 8:58pm On Dec 08, 2016
I am from Anambra I didn't marry from Anambra , all my uncles and aunts didn't marry from.anambra but we married Igbo ..from.anioma to ikwerre

once you are Igbo speaking we marry you..that's a standard and we are happy with that

no apologies or do you want us igbo to marry non Igbo

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Ceska(f): 1:16am On Apr 12, 2017
OP am sorry, I have no explanation as to why we ndi anambra like to marry from home. But both my parents are from the same town, I married a guy from my town likewise my sister. In fact, in my entire extended family, we don't have a history of marrying even from the neighbouring towns. Same goes for my inlaws.
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by cbravo(m): 10:01am On Apr 20, 2017
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by cbravo2: 10:06am On Apr 20, 2017

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jun 01, 2019
Just fresh!!
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by EbenezerTriumph: 4:21pm On Mar 06, 2021
Locapito:
your fellow igbos from other state confirmed it fof me. I also dated an Anambra lady for close to two years and told me point blank that we re just razzling that nothing will comes out of it. Why? She said i should just enjoy it till when it last cos, she can't marry from outside anambra and its their best kept secret in order to protect the secret of the man's wealth from outsiders. Ask ur bondaged mother about ur father's ritual wealth, u'll be be shocked to ur marrow concerning the revealation. Bunch of ritualists.
chai see finishing.
Those Anambra people Sha, I myself have my own share of experience.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply)

List Of Yoruba Dialects / Remember Babalorisa Tyomolu, Dopest Babalawo? He is Still Stunting! / Igbo Name For Fruits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.