Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,468 members, 7,801,183 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:05 PM

Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? (90013 Views)

The 10 Most Expensive Cultures/tribes In Nigeria To Marry From / If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) / 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by CHM11: 4:14pm On Feb 22, 2015
AreaFada2:

Wrong regarding Igbo don't marry outside. My cousin is married to an Igbo man.

We have several Igbo ladies married to extended family members, some since 50 years ago.
They have been excellent wives & mothers, and genuinely part of our family. We couldn't have wished for better wives.
It's good to keep an open mind.

The one truly meant for you would be different from all your negative experiences.
Very good post from someone with a functioning brain.
If you read my comment, I said I WOULDN'T want to marry an igbo person...didn't say I WON'T marry an igbo person.....there are some that are still very intelligent and real...atleast I know a few here in Lagos. My bad experiences were with those that are based in the east....

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Lilimax(f): 4:14pm On Feb 22, 2015
onila:
Anambra men are the most desired igbo men
all the igbo girls die to date Anambra men

me I think Imo state men are the best

I cant date an igbo man from abia or ebonyi

I look down on them
smiley
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Feb 22, 2015
splashbaby:
Wrong! Igbos find it difficult to live with others.. Instead owanbe unite and create love.
Foolish tribalistic yoruba mofo and fool.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 4:16pm On Feb 22, 2015
CHM11:

I've noticed that Nairalanders based in the USA can write long epistles, couldn't even finish my igbo brother's comment.
But I get his point.
@bigfrancis21 nice point, but here's my view.
Others do it doesn't make I right.
Additionally, Nigeria is made up of major 3 regions. North west and east. The people in the North inter marry freely, fulani, gwarri, benue, hausa, Tiv etc....people in the west intermarry freely too, yoruba, egun, badagry, etc. But because tribes in the EAST are much, igbo's don't like marrying others and its justified because it favours them better.

I for example wouldn't want any of family member to marry an igbo man or woman, I'd rather marry a yoruba or even a fulani. This is because I have not had a good experience as regards the igbos I've encountered in life.
All in all, igbos!!..marry yourselves, its good for you bcause other tribes will hardly understand your behavior and character.
Thank u very much,u've said it all.I've never had a fairly good experience with them,they are just too complex,& weird in behaviour.No matter how good they may pretend to appear,right at the back of their minds,they secretly strive to drain u.God forbid for this race!

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Feb 22, 2015
onila:
most of the Nigerian men that treat me badly are Igbo men

remember one time in highschool
some igbo boys read my diary

and told me to commit suicide

how mean
Nonsense yoruba tribalist. Keep spewing rubbish.

10 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Feb 22, 2015
sleekangel85:
A friend of mine has being dating a guy for some years now. She's not an Anambrarian. She's a very lovely lady,beautiful, kind, down to earth and she loves the guy so much.

I'm worried because the guy hasn't proposed and he is from Anambra state . I don't know if he'll eventually marry her because I've heard and I've seen a lot of people from Anambra state marrying from their tribe.

I need to know why they do that even when most times it's against their wish. What's your advice for her? Don't you think that the guy may eventually leave her for an Anambra Lady?

Thanks
jobless girl

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Themandator: 4:19pm On Feb 22, 2015
I'm Igbo from Netje in Anambra state. My wife is from Mbaise in Imo state.

10 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by squaddy(m): 4:20pm On Feb 22, 2015
Locapito:
comfortable with you or to protect ur ill-gotten wealth through rituals?

This is the same excuse your lazy father gave his dirty slut(who happens to be your mother) when every igbo male around him were climbing the ladder of success. Clearly you are following his foot step. Way to go imp!!

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by onila(f): 4:20pm On Feb 22, 2015
nnannaidoko:
Nonsense yoruba tribalist. Keep spewing rubbish.
not Yoruba

dummy
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Feb 22, 2015
[quote author=sleekangel85 post=30927459]A friend of mine has being dating a guy for some years now. She's not an Anambrarian. She's a very lovely lady,beautiful, kind, down to earth and she loves the guy so much.

I'm worried because the guy hasn't proposed and he is from Anambra state . I don't know if he'll eventually marry her because I've heard and I've seen a lot of people from Anambra state marrying from their tribe.

I need to know why they do that even when most times it's against their wish. What's your advice for her? Don't you think that the guy may eventually leave her for an Anambra Lady?

1. The people are rich and are satisfied with their rich men.
2. Most part of Anambra charge high to their daughter's suitors. So it is only people that are well-to-do like their business moguls that can afford it.
3. An average Anambrarian feels superior and will not like the mortification of being looked down upon to marrying the people they consider inferiors. A particular place in Anambra has a popular saying that "Amakam ihe n'Ozobulu bu ofeke na Nnewi" meaning the wisest among the Ozobulus is a fool in Nnewi.
4. Some parts of Anambra culture demand that their first daughter must marry within. (I was told) etc
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Lilimax(f): 4:22pm On Feb 22, 2015
Sweetlemon:

Nobody said 100% Anambrans are like that. But the truth is that over 90% are like that. You yourself you know that very well because all Igbos know that. Check out comments from your fellow Igbos on this thread.
In a way you're right. We are four sisters from the same mother and I'm the only one that married outside my state Anambra. Personally I never liked guys from my state for some reasons and
I know I'll not marry any of them and it happened so. smiley
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by wisdompraise(m): 4:22pm On Feb 22, 2015
sleekangel85:
A friend of mine has being dating a guy for some years now. She's not an Anambrarian. She's a very lovely lady,beautiful, kind, down to earth and she loves the guy so much.

Thanks

Well, @Op I need you to know that i'm from Anambra. First son for that matter. There's this understanding between us when we do it Igbo to Igbo, the love, understanding and prosperity in the marriage is almost guaranteed.

#teamANAMBARA.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by REMMEI(m): 4:23pm On Feb 22, 2015
mascaraWand:
Ehen! I really need an answer to this o. That is how my bobo left me high and dry and port all because he's from Anambra and in from another part of Igbo land. embarassed
I just don't understand. cry

Why do you sound like her.. so much like her.
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by PreciousBro: 4:23pm On Feb 22, 2015
This Issue Of Tribe Thing In Nigeria Is Ridiculous, You Lot are Pathetic Beings. Pointing a Finger at One For Tribalism and Forgetting The Rest Of Your Scruffy Ugly-Looking Fingers are Pointing Back at You.

Are You all Daft In Nigeria ? Don't We all Know How Tribalism Has Eaten Half The Brain Of a Below-Average Or Average Nigerian ? Even On Here(Nairaland).

~{Everyone Is Tested Positive Of This Disease}~

If The Igbos Marry Themselves For Better Communication and Understanding, Isn't That a Good Reason, Or are Yorubas,Hausas,Fulani,Nope,Istekiri,Ijaws,Urhobos Not also Guilty Of This ? Saying Otherwise Would Be Agreeing They Don't Fancy Marriage grin

The Igbos,For What I Know Value The Institution Of Marriage and They Happen To Have Good Tastes, If They Marry Only Themselves Should We also Agree That Quality Lies Within Them alone ? grin

See, Its Not a Tribe Thing,an Igbo Man Won't deceive Himself If He Finds That Priceless Gem" Be It Imo,Anambra,Enugu,Abia,Ebonyi, Or Non Igbos.

Like I Don't Get How Half Retarrded Some Of You are!!

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Adaezeagu(f): 4:23pm On Feb 22, 2015
kayciano:

U hate IGBOS...YET u want to marry them..
Please...please.... Please... LEAVE IGBOS ALONE.
LEAVE US , ALONE.....
IF U SEE IGBOs don't DATE.....
PLEASE DATE UR PEOPLE...
IGBOs are this and that...
Kindly date your people...
Leave our daughters...

IGBO s love MONEY...
;
YES leave us...

IGBO weddings are expensive..
Leave our DAUGHTERS..
ITS NOT BY COMPULSION, DAT u marry them.

Hausas marry from their TRIBE ,yet nobody TALKS.
yorubas marry from their TRIBE, yet people are mute.
BUT when it is IGBO, people start GRUMBLING..
grin grin IGBO mata dey give Dem ORGASM

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Lilimax(f): 4:24pm On Feb 22, 2015
[quote author=2293c7a9 post=30977766][/quote]lol at your Ozubulu and Nnewi adage smiley

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by squaddy(m): 4:24pm On Feb 22, 2015
enkay4love:
Thank u very much,u've said it all.I've never had a fairly good experience with them,they are just too complex,& weird in behaviour.No matter how good they may pretend to appear,right at the back of their minds,they secretly strive to drain u.God forbid for this race!

Cry us a river. We don't marry promiscuous ladies. Please kindly stick with men from your ethnic extraction. No be by force you hear? Cheer up

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 4:25pm On Feb 22, 2015
This bigoted thread made front page?

Jesus Christ! Igbo people don suffer. Seun, you really need to change your admin policies.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by iconize(m): 4:25pm On Feb 22, 2015
A nation populated by moronic and vacuous folks is equivalent to a cesspit.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by laudate: 4:27pm On Feb 22, 2015
sleekangel85:

Thanks

He will NOT marry her. Tell her to move on....before it is too late! angry
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Feb 22, 2015
nzeobi:
We prefer people who understand us better. Nobody will marry from a tribe that will using his hard earned money for owambe and stuffs like that.
Ka chineke mezie okwu

Lol

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by KAYCEEJUNIOR(m): 4:27pm On Feb 22, 2015
Chai......una no go finish this topic oo, even here in Anambra there are some town we self don't marry from....eg Onitsha, Nnewi, Ozubulu and Awkuzu..

Btw.....Many Anambrarians marry from Enugu and even prefer Enugu self than Anambra.....in every family in Anambra, you must see atleast 2or 3 Enugu Daughter inlaws

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by donigspain(m): 4:28pm On Feb 22, 2015
enkay4love:
Are you really at peace with what you wrote in the bolded? I mean, if it gives you orgasm, then enjoy. kiss

enkay4love:
How would u feel if ur father was called an OLD FOOL? Besides are u younger than Obasanjo? I just hate it when people can't just respect themselves & give respect to whom it is due! So what was his offencê in undertaking this task on his own? And where has he commited a sacrilege against u to be branded such an insulting tag?
So you actually feel hurt when a Yoruba elder is insulted but you, yourself, feel at peace insulting the totality of an ethnicity. Hypocrisy!

10 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Noneroone(m): 4:28pm On Feb 22, 2015
ITbomb:
They understand themselves

One thing I have come to realise is that while most other tribes marry for love, Igbos marry mostly anyone who can take care of them and the love seems to grow after marriage. Apart from that, they are generally suspicious about other tribes, you can't say a word in another tongue that they won't ask 20 questions for explanation but they will flow in their tongue with their friends with no one raising an eyebrow
sorry but the statement in bold is actually a yoruba thing.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by waternogetemeny: 4:28pm On Feb 22, 2015
Calculia:
In Nigeria today igbos remain the highest group of all the tribe in some sought of inter-tribal or inter-racial marriage. 1 in 5 igbos are likely to be married to a person outside their tribe. The Fulani and hausa are least likely followed by yorubas.

Nairaland encourages tribal bashing against igbos becos the site is owned by a yoruba.

Pics Anambra Nnamdi Asomugha married to American Kerry Washington

I thought Anambra dont marry outside their tribe.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by vega84(m): 4:28pm On Feb 22, 2015
CHM11:
Dear OP, please leave igbos alone if you are not igbo. Let them keep marrying themselves, its better for them.

I just pity peeps who date igbos!!,..especially igbos who live or have lived in the east...how do you cope with them??

Had to live amongst some east-based igbo guys and ladies during my NYSC..... Worst experience of my life....
Its worse that when they are told they are hard to understand, they all fall back to insulting in their local dialect.. You will hear things like ewu, anuofia etc...proving my point again....

igbo ndị karịsịa ndị na-dabeere nọ n'ebe ọwụwa anyanwụ dị
nnọọ na-akpa ọchị ndị mmadụ. Ha anaghị akpa àgwà ka
nkịtị mmadụ. Ndị njem dị anya ma obosara ịmụta na-akpa
àgwà dị mma ma ndị na-ahụ n'ebe ọwụwa anyanwụ bụ nanị
larịị na ụmụ anụmanụ. Onye ọ bụla na-anaghị amasị nwere
ike iji kacha nso eriri ka kpọgidere ya onwe ya. na-akpa ọchị
ndị mmadụ.

Plenty tongue out!!!!
. U are indeed an ewu. #vegatalks#

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Sunnybobo3(m): 4:29pm On Feb 22, 2015
ITbomb:
They understand themselves

One thing I have come to realise is that while most other tribes marry for love, Igbos marry mostly anyone who can take care of them and the love seems to grow after marriage. Apart from that, they are generally suspicious about other tribes, you can't say a word in another tongue that they won't ask 20 questions for explanation but they will flow in their tongue with their friends with no one raising an eyebrow

Last time I checked, the Igbos assimilate better with others than non Igbos. This is evident in Igbo people who can speak fluently other Nigerian languages even when they've spent just a short time in the locality. Nnamdi Azikiwe could speak Hausa and Yoruba fluently and same went for Ojukwu. I do not know of any political leader from another tribe that can speak any other 2 Nigerian languages fluently.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Feb 22, 2015
REMMEI:

Why do you sound like her.. so much like her.

Like who? undecided The babe you dumped?[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font] angry
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by DonDiego(m): 4:29pm On Feb 22, 2015
VirginFinder:
I dont fancy a Yoruba lady marrying an ibo man, at all.
But the reverse is ok by me.

Same here. I hate the Ifeanyi/Paul Adefarasin combination. But I hail the Emeka/Modupe Anyaoku combo.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by whatx: 4:29pm On Feb 22, 2015
squaddy:

Oooh shut the hell up with your stupid lies. Ofe nmanu masking as igbo. Where in anioma are you from? Bloody Arrow!

Akpala gbakapu isi èba é nò.

Tribalistic and racial nkapi
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Sunnybobo3(m): 4:31pm On Feb 22, 2015
Sweetlemon:
Funny I was just about starting a thread on this.

Igbos are generally stiff but the Anambrans take the cake. Those ones will not even marry outside Anambra sef (if possible their LGA) not to talk of crossing Igbo. Abomination! Only very few exposed Anambrans have been able to marry out of Anambra after fighting through heavy resistance from their nuclear and extended families.

My favourite SE states are Imo and Enugu. Very liberal people.

Are you saying that those Anambrarians who married from Anambra are not exposed?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by whatx: 4:31pm On Feb 22, 2015
jmoore:

Osi Umenyiora(Anambra) engaged to Leila Lopes(Angola) tongue

[img]http://4.bp..com/-Q9vP2zQzSzw/U7sEMNyl1tI/AAAAAAAAzxM/UeQW510kZD4/s1600/osi+umenyiora+weds+leila1.jpg[/img]

Engagement na marriage? Tell that babe to drop the handcuff, its uncalled for.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (25) (Reply)

List Of Yoruba Dialects / Remember Babalorisa Tyomolu, Dopest Babalawo? He is Still Stunting! / Igbo Name For Fruits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.