Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,396 members, 7,808,424 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:45 AM

Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? (90158 Views)

The 10 Most Expensive Cultures/tribes In Nigeria To Marry From / If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) / 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by squaddy(m): 4:31pm On Feb 22, 2015
onila:
not Yoruba

dummy

Khalessi please your attention is needed here. Your dog is on the loose grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by CSTR: 4:32pm On Feb 22, 2015
Calculia:

Dat is a lie, it is the other way round. Yorubas will only promote themselvesa bove their igbo superior that is if they dont first sack them. The pay they give their yoruba is different from that the igbo get.
I thought i was the only one that noticed the error in her statement.
When it comes to work-place tribalism ,yorubas take the cake.
Sweetlemon is probably yoruba or married to a yoruba man,hence her bias.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by laudate: 4:33pm On Feb 22, 2015
Ishilove:
'Clannishness is not restricted to a single tribe. It's a general thing.

The issue is dating a person you have no interest in marrying. Why date someone you can't envision a future with? If you know your folks won't accept people from a certain tribe then why date such people?? It is the height of callousness. You waste their time, resources and emotions etc and still end up dumping them.

It's like dating a non-Christian when you know your folks will not accept a non-Christian. That's wickedness.

And don't give me that 'love is blind' crap. The love of nowadays is wearing long range field lens.

Tribalism is part and parcel of our human relations. It's called 'sub-conscious ethnic identification'. While I don't support it, let's make life less complicated for ourselves. If you know your folks will not accept someone from a certain tribe, then try as much as possible not to bring sorrow on yourself and others. Nip it at the bud.

If you can't help the love, if the love has consumed the both of you completely then elope. Or marry without your parents approval/blessings, though I wouldn't advice this (I will not be held responsible for whatever kasala you encounter when you elope. O.Y.O grin).

Well said!! True talk! cool

In fact that comment about "The issue is dating a person you have no interest in marrying. Why date someone you can't envision a future with? If you know your folks won't accept people from a certain tribe then why date such people?? It is the height of callousness. You waste their time, resources and emotions etc and still end up dumping them. It's like dating a non-Christian when you know your folks will not accept a non-Christian. That's wickedness....." is so authentic, that if this was a term paper, you would get an A-plus for it! grin

When you said "The love of nowadays is wearing long range field lens..." I started laughing, and haven't been able to stop since cheesy. Chai! I weak oh! LWKMD

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Faibuhari: 4:33pm On Feb 22, 2015
Sweetlemon:
Funny I was just about starting a thread on this.

Igbos are generally stiff but the Anambrans take the cake. Those ones will not even marry outside Anambra sef (if possible their LGA) not to talk of crossing Igbo. Abomination! Only very few exposed Anambrans have been able to marry out of Anambra after fighting through heavy resistance from their nuclear and extended families.

My favourite SE states are Imo and Enugu. Very liberal people.
I think you are wrong, it boils down to individual diffrences, my Mum is a Ghanian and most of my Sisters married outside Anambra and I've dated a girl from other tribe with intention of marriage but it didn't work out because of individual diffrences. The more enlightened a man is will make it easier for him to grow above religeon and tribalism in a relationship

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by ACM10: 4:33pm On Feb 22, 2015
whatx:

@Bigfrancis21

Trying to observe nairaland rules, else i would have rained it on you.

You don't have to justify your culture nor comment on every post you come across.

If you don't have real experience, hold your peace. Am from the ibo speaking part of delta state and also a victim of such relationship.

Even being from the igbo-speaking part of delta state did not help me, as the particular family in question told my girl that it will be over their dead body.

On hearing the news i took time to strategies how to tackle this challenge, but to my surprise the babe made a shocking revelation.
She told me that the mum has actually being informing her of one spare part dealer who is from Anambra who she wants her to marry (true story), and that she has visited the guy severally (ehn ehen?).

On hearing this people i change am for hear. WHAT DO YOU MEAN? WHAT NONSENSE? WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN? YOU VISITED HIM WITHOUT MY PERMISSION? Screaming at the top of my voice. I angrily went home that day from our meeting joint.

To be fair with her, she later called and tired to calming me down asking; "what do i do"? By then i have already Googled the dude from the names she gave me (serious under cover sh#t). And my people Wetin i see nor help matters oh, the guy already has a car and am still using my most trusted two leg slabaquin.
I told her to follow her heart, which is the most stupid advice i have ever given. I tried analysing it for her as a wafi man,
- you Stick with me we try make it in life together, i graduated top in my department, a chartered accountant, currently doing my msc in accounting, though no job yet but tomorrow MAY be better.
- you go with them, married the guy within the next two years, and thing may blossom between you two.
I decided to ask her one question which i didn't get the answer till date- do you love him? She replied that he is a cool guy (ukpabiokpabio okpokicha, cool guy).

I discharge her that day thinking say my qualification go save me and thus decided to give her the silent treatment. Two weeks later she finally broke the silence with an outright personal invitation for me to their wedding (i die stand) this is a girl i have dated for the past 12 consecutive months, no break. See Wetin first silent treatment bring me, i almost poisoned my friend who gave the silent advice.

Well, that's about my experience with an Anambra babe, she is now married with one issue, leaving happily.

So bigfrancis21, i do not give what i don't have, this is my true story. That our forefathers are corrupt does not mean you should be corrupt, that everybody is going left does not mean you should go left (check ur boko alert before you move oh), that ever tribe is tribalistic dies not been you should be.
Further revelation from her on the negative pressure she received from her parents and siblings (whom i chat and play with every visit)was so shocking that i didn't even bother to go discuss with any of her family members.

I tort i was igbo until i met a lady from across the niger. just one bridge made me realised that there is difference between IGBO and IBO. Today, if you referred to me as IGBO i might slit your throat.

ADVICE: tell your friend to ask the guy directly if he is serious, thereafter discuss marriage possibility. If you must be a relationship ref, you have got to be good in what you are doing. Life is too short for wasting around.

PEACE OUT

Nna mechie onu ure gi. Ain't you ashamed that a spare parts dealer is smarter than you. You were outsmarted and schemed out of the game, and now you are bleating like an Xmas goat. If anyone is proving an obstacle to your ambition, you better quietly load the girl. I bet you that the spare parts dealer is richer than you. . .
more educated than you. . .
has more swag than you. . .

Rise above you bitterness, love is not blind when it comes to marriage in Anambra. Our girls go for responsible men that can live up to their duty as a husband. That's why they prefer their fellow Anambrarians. Stop whining! you were outsmarted. Get another girl and stop hating. We don't care if you choose to identify with the Kanuris or Gambaris. But stop behaving like a kid. With this quality of yours, I'm glad the fortunate girl dumped you. Quit boring us with your hateful epistle

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by whatx: 4:33pm On Feb 22, 2015
waternogetemeny:

Pics Anambra Nnamdi Asomugha married to American Kerry Washington

If na your sister you go prefer her to marry Charles Okafor instead?

Igbo's are wise, no doubt.
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by REMMEI(m): 4:33pm On Feb 22, 2015
mascaraWand:

Like who? undecided The babe you dumped?[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font] angry

You don vex?...lolz

I dumped no one though.. you just sounded like one of the Delta babe wey I know.
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by SWG1: 4:33pm On Feb 22, 2015
sleekangel85:
My cousin dated this anambra Guy for 6 yrs,she dated d guy wen he had nothing,yet she was still with him only for this guy to get money he told my cousin dat "my mother said I shud marry from my tribe".meanwhile he claimed he loved her.y didn't he define d relationship from d onset instead of wasting her time. Come to think of it y will a Man not be able to make his own choice nd decisions for a life partner,I believe he knows nd understands her better than his mother does to know if she'll make a good life partner.it's high time grown up men not boys or babies speak for themselves.Any man who does this kind of thing will face God's punishment for life.

Sorry to say but a girl needs to get her guy define Wat both of them are doing. Was She supposed to throw herself all out to a Guy that has not gone to her parents for introduction talk more of traditional marriage. I have seen girls do crazy things, like following a Guy u Jus met to His home town and sleeping over, BELIEVING in their own mind that the Guy will marry her.

Wisdom is profitable to direct.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Mrsixfeet(m): 4:34pm On Feb 22, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Igbo bashing has become quite a common thing in Nigeria such that it has become normal to bash Igbo on every single thing, even on things that are meaningless.

You created this thread to ask why Igbo prefer to marry from their tribe. Are you really serious? This is a question you opened this thread for looking for 'answers'? Would you have opened this very thread in the first place had a Yoruba or Hausa guy been the one who preferred to marry from their tribe? Yes or No? Why would a Yoruba parent reject a non-yoruba suitor, and that will not be an issue. In fact, such action is justified. A Hausa parent will do the same and no dust will be raised about it. But when an Igbo parent does the same, then its a big deal. It is a serious issue that calls for serious attention and criticism, then you begin to get tags like ''Igbos are 'tribalistic'', 'they are 'selfish'', it is an 'Igbo problem' e.t.c. Minor issues that aren't issues when done by other tribes become a serious issue when Igbo is involved.

I look around me, majority Ibibios marry within the Ibibio tribe, majority Hausas marry within Hausa, Yoruba within Yoruba, why should the Igbo marrying within themselves even be a question in the first place? Despite the level of inter marriage between whites and blacks here in the US, majority whites marry within whites, chinese within chinese, blacks within blacks, and you're going to sit there and tell me that it is a problem when Igbos prefer to marry Igbos?? Like seriously??

I get your point about love being the most important factor between 2 people from different tribes and there are marriages between Igbo men and non-Igbo women however majority Igbos don't need to look outside for love when they can find it within themselves. The same love you mentioned as important, Igbo men get it from within the tribe. Why look outside? What about culture preservation and values? Why should Igbo preferring to marry from within even be an issue in the first place when other tribes are doing the same? Is the creation of this thread even justified in the first place?

Tomorrow you're going to open another thread asking 'Why do Igbo people speak Igbo?' Like seriously??

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Adaezeagu(f): 4:34pm On Feb 22, 2015
aryzgreat:

My brother u get time for them.

An id10t will just wake up nd start writing jargon.

Because her friend's boyfriend has not proposed to her, she jumps into conclusion.

BTW, this is an issue that happens in every tribe. My friend that wanted to marry yoruba girl He met during nysc was rejected bc of tribe issue. Do We now generalized that yorubas are tribalistic?

OP with a prejudice mind opened thread to ask question, within the same front page she is already blaming Anambra people for not marrying other tribe but forgot that :

Peter obi married from akwa ibom

Psquare from Anambra married lola a yoruba

Mikel obi from anambra is about marrying a
Russian

Dora Akunyili Daughter married an oyibo

The traditional ruler of Awka married a Zambian woman

just a few example of known Anambra people that married from other tribes.

Their hatred for igbos will continue giving them high bp
from HB to stroke grin grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Krisddon: 4:34pm On Feb 22, 2015
unofficial:
Your friend or you?
Waiter!..... Sama him One Orijin.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Sunnybobo3(m): 4:36pm On Feb 22, 2015
xhamel89:

The truth is that Igbos are highly tribalistic. No tribe does it better. They are the best in their own eyes. Others are bad, hausas are illiterates, Yorubas are dirty. All sort of things you hear from them. That feature of them is a clear a position of their tribalism life. The day an Igbo rule Nigeria, we are finish.

One Company on Allen Avenue in Ikeja here, does not only teach his Igbo brothers that other tribes are bad, especially Yorubas, it also ensure that other tribes are like Isrealites in Goshen. Too bad for who create this mentality in them.

Quote me and.........

It's a pity that at the age of 26 your life is like this.

Pele!

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by CSTR: 4:38pm On Feb 22, 2015
Btw, i thought igbo women are the most inter-married of all ethnic groups.
I think its high time other ethnic groups match them.
If i were to have my way, every body will marry from their own ethnic group.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Jamean(f): 4:38pm On Feb 22, 2015
OMG...had same experience. 2anambra & 3abia chicks with only me the other tribe. I just really had to change room at a point, when earpiece no longer worked.

But I was careful not to be at loggerheads with them for that reason. They are still my distant friends today, and I learnt some Igbo from them.

CHM11:

Delta/Urhobo
Served in a PPA with 15 corpers, 11 were igbos and it was hell for the 4 of us non igbos.
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by squaddy(m): 4:38pm On Feb 22, 2015
whatx:

Akpala gbakapu isi èba é nò.

Tribalistic and racial nkapi

You are just a fellow who has lost his way. Continue in your foolery.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Krisddon: 4:40pm On Feb 22, 2015
CHM11:
Dear OP, please leave igbos alone if you are not igbo. Let them keep marrying themselves, its better for them.

I just pity peeps who date igbos!!,..especially igbos who live or have lived in the east...how do you cope with them??

Had to live amongst some east-based igbo guys and ladies during my NYSC..... Worst experience of my life....
Its worse that when they are told they are hard to understand, they all fall back to insulting in their local dialect.. You will hear things like ewu, anuofia etc...proving my point again....

igbo ndị karịsịa ndị na-dabeere nọ n'ebe ọwụwa anyanwụ dị
nnọọ na-akpa ọchị ndị mmadụ. Ha anaghị akpa àgwà ka
nkịtị mmadụ. Ndị njem dị anya ma obosara ịmụta na-akpa
àgwà dị mma ma ndị na-ahụ n'ebe ọwụwa anyanwụ bụ nanị
larịị na ụmụ anụmanụ. Onye ọ bụla na-anaghị amasị nwere
ike iji kacha nso eriri ka kpọgidere ya onwe ya. na-akpa ọchị
ndị mmadụ.

Plenty tongue out!!!!
Dude it's not peculiar to Igbos, it's applicable to every other tribe ok?!
So stop the hate! Ewu

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by AKPOSbaba: 4:41pm On Feb 22, 2015
tolexy007:
U are askin me now, bt who should I ask....

Omawumi
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Sunnybobo3(m): 4:41pm On Feb 22, 2015
@ Op, how many white men marry black women?
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by lyntiffany(f): 4:41pm On Feb 22, 2015
Noneroone:
sorry but the statement in bold is actually a yoruba thing.
my dear tell him always mean and lousy, they gossip a lot too don't know why.
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by SHETI: 4:41pm On Feb 22, 2015
My take about Igbo guys precisely those from Anambra in respect to ur question is this! U hardly would find an Anambrarian marrying from another tribe other than theirs, What is really strange is even among the Igbo's in the east Enugu, Abia, Imo and Eboyi thy prefer Enugu. I have lots of friends from the east, who are from Anambra and to be frank they marry from their state! But that doesn't mean they are wrong, Ur friend shouldn't use that as a point in deciding if the guy is right for her or not

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by bigfrancis21: 4:42pm On Feb 22, 2015
gemini35:
. I,really want to know why most of the tribes in nigeria hate igbo? Why why ?

Its quite a long story that dates back to about 1930 in colonial Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Feb 22, 2015
mascaraWand:
Ehen! I really need an answer to this o. That is how my bobo left me high and dry and port all because he's from Anambra and in from another part of Igbo land. embarassed
I just don't understand. cry

This English sounds like it's coming from someone I know.......
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 4:44pm On Feb 22, 2015
@ OP,tell ur cousin to simply move on,he simply was pitching tent with her when he had nothing,& now that he has"hammered" he has become over classy to marry her,using the lame cover of "my momma said I shuld marry from my tribe"like seriously? Tell her to ensure he pays her off to compensate her for the time wasted,so that she does'nt lose on both ends. They are very tribalistic & very cunning about marrying outside of their tribe.Imagine som1 telling me once that if an Anambra man marries a non-Ibo,he'll be deemed as being under a spell,hehehe grin like seriously.It was really a funny scenario cos one expected the person in question to reason differently based on education & exposure. Ibos should marry themselves alone abeg,so that they can understand their complex nature. Ur cousin should just regard it as a mistake & just move on,life is too beautifuul to dwell on disapointment for long.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by laudate: 4:44pm On Feb 22, 2015
aryzgreat:
[s][/s]

Continue to miss ur luck till u clock 40.

Anambra guys are d most caring guys. Ask Lola of p-square

Bros, P-Square did not marry Lola Omotayo while his mum was alive oh! The lady disagreed with his choice, despite the fact that Lola had 2 kids already for him. It was after the mum passed on, that he got married. wink

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by whatx: 4:44pm On Feb 22, 2015
ACM10:

Nna mechie onu ure gi. Ain't you ashamed that a spare parts dealer is smarter than you. You were outsmarted and schemed out of the game, and now you are bleating like an Xmas goat. If anyone is proving an obstacle to your ambition, you better quietly load the girl. I bet you that the spare parts dealer is richer than you. . .

Rise above you bitterness, love is not blind when it comes to marriage in Anambra. Our girls go for responsible men that can live up to their duty as a husband. That's why they prefer their fellow Anambrarians. Stop whining! you were outsmarted. Get another girl and stop hating. We don't care if you choose to identify with the Kanuris or Gambaris. But stop behaving like a kid. With this quality of yours, I'm glad the fortunate girl dumped you. Quit boring us with your hateful epistle

Hhn hnn hnn (Pete edochie laugh)

I am married oh, not underemployed, infact i thank God for my life. Because this family i marry nor get stress, no family shoving CV into my throat or giving me someone to train. Me and my family alone.

Ekenedili chineke

Hhn hnn hnn (Pete edochie laugh)
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Feb 22, 2015
ACM10:

grin
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by hardbody: 4:47pm On Feb 22, 2015
sleekangel85:
So are u trying to say dat if u marry from another tribe u guys won't understand yourselves? I believe dat what keeps a relationship long lasting is love and respect nd come think of it it's high time anambra men dat reason like you change their notion about marrying from their tribe because u think u'll understand her better .my dear if dats ur reason for getting married from ur tribe,den I'm sorry u 'll miss it.Haven't u seen married couple of d same tribe living as cat nd mice? Tribe shouldn't be a barrier for d choice of a life partner.Ask God for direction nd wisdom.

Dummy i have dated several yorubas and they have had no regrets. I could have married any of them but they were the ones still telling me i am igbo. As i speak i still have a a few them on my neck. Truth is most of you dont even know what u want. At least we have 2 yourba girls in my family. Fully married and they have begotten children ranging from age 5 to 18.

People like u are so myopic and not open minded that nothing outside yoruba makes any sense to you. I jave mentioned it before, the guy that fixed tiles in my house was a yoruba corper. He still does work long after he jas finished his service year. Your type gives the avearge yoruba a bad name.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by tivta(m): 4:47pm On Feb 22, 2015
Shame on who ever put this topic on FP without editing the tribal remarks from posters. Yet we say we are nigerians. This country is a failure from the start if we can't use our differences as strength. When I say nigerians are tribalistic people won't listen. So its now wrong for igbos to marry themselves but ok for yoruba and hausa to do the same? Ever since the civil war igbos have been bastardized yet you Nigerians won't allow igbos create their own country. Haba. What sort of country is this? Perhaps this bokoharm issue will FINALLY divide nigeria. Seun, pay more attention to this tribalistic fagggots. This thread does not speak well of nairaland, for goodness sake the whole world is watching. The moderator that published this seriously needs to be sanctioned.

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by DonDiego(m): 4:48pm On Feb 22, 2015
CHM11:

Very good post from someone with a functioning brain.
If you read my comment, I said I WOULDN'T want to marry an igbo person...didn't say I WON'T marry an igbo person.....there are some that are still very intelligent and real...atleast I know a few here in Lagos. My bad experiences were with those that are based in the east....

Be there splitting hairs while Igbo people are busy getting married to people of all races and nationalities who LOVE and DESIRE them. With or without you, an Igbo marriage will continue to hold till forever.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by praise010(m): 4:48pm On Feb 22, 2015
muyo2001:

Well I believe the solution is in the name of the state- (anambras) Adams bra? I can see that the males are always busty before marriage, while their ladies are sporty after marriage. But after the wedding rites and other rasmatas even copulation e.t.c the opposite happens. That is why they are predominantly farmers and hunters.

I am surprised that even on a Sunday, some people cannot reason well.
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Darchangel(m): 4:49pm On Feb 22, 2015
sleekangel85:
Lols grin
Now you are laughing like a clown. When I saw this topic I immediately knew this was your intention and I patiently waited to see your reactions to comments. There's no doubt you are out for trouble!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by mrsheddy(m): 4:49pm On Feb 22, 2015
an Israelite person can never marry non Israelite. Maybe that z one of d reasons. Jst thinking!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (25) (Reply)

List Of Yoruba Dialects / Remember Babalorisa Tyomolu, Dopest Babalawo? He is Still Stunting! / Igbo Name For Fruits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.