Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,320 members, 7,808,074 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:45 AM

House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash (21146 Views)

Reps Move To Bar Acting President, Governor From Second term / Obasanjo In Auto-Crash, Escapes Unhurt - Today.ng / Mark Wants Bayelsa Auto Crash Victims Immortalized (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by Nobody: 3:39pm On Feb 21, 2015
putting the cart before the horse. Provide good roads and traffic enforcement first before talking about road worthiness... how many vehicles are even road worthy in Nigeria by the way. Both the new and Toks.
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by owobokiri(m): 6:10pm On Feb 21, 2015
ugoonuoha:

I seldom comment on this forum, but I really want to address this your point.
If I get a dollar every time I hear "land (road) transport is better than flights in Nigeria" from foreign based friends, I'll be rich!
Flights are way safer than going by road in Nigeria. Don't believe, just check the stats. FRSC records the number of fatalities on our roads daily. I've haven't done the computation but I can bet the probability of a fatal accident happening is higher going by road. Save the major airline mishaps that happen once every few years or so, Nigerian passenger flights are safer (esp. Arik). However, I understand aero phobia is more frightening than any apprehension over road accidents.

Yoou are totally correct. . Yet while few can survive a car accident, the opposite is always the case with a plane falling off the sky.
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by Cargoed: 7:48pm On Feb 21, 2015
Why is it that road construction companies do not have proper traffic management arrangements for roads under construction. You are travelling on an express road doing the legal 90km/hr suddenly you see a trailer coming in the opposite direction. No warning that you are on a diverted road.

So the legislators should ask construction companies how many road cones do they have. Just go and inspect them.
No proper number of diverted road signs.
No responsible checks in calming down diverted traffic with traffic cones.
In fact they will divert you to use a dangerous bend that only God can save you at even a simple 60km/hr speed........
Please they should look into this.
Why is it also difficult for road construction contracts to not include reflectors on the roads. From 6pm it becomes very dark I mean by 7pm you can hardly see 100meters ahead of you so reflectors on our high ways will aid driving and prevent lots of accident.
Also on many trailers passing many road safety officers there is no reflector at their back when they brake down ....u can not really see them at the side or even centre of the road.
So legislators I think u have a lot to worry about.
The hiace buses if banned what is ur alternative.

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by Nobody: 9:00pm On Feb 21, 2015
amywonda:

You are missing the point, it was a multiple accident but only the hiace burst into flames, on most other occasions d same thing happens, increasing the mortality rate, hence the reason for the call

That poster was missing the point.

That you had to explain the reason to human the other league of dunces showcases why we are a failed nation despite our vast resources.
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by eaglechild: 9:06pm On Feb 21, 2015
owobokiri:
The way we shoot down good ideas sha. . Just read the posts above and you would think that the House of Reps are just blind but the opposite is the case. That thing is nothing but a flying coffin. This is a very very good idea. Hiace buses and their equivalents should be used to carry goods ONLY! THERE IS NO OTHER SERIOUS COUNTRY IN THE WORLD WHRE SMALL HIACE BUSES ARE USED FOR LONG DISTANCE JOURNEYS. It is only here. That bus is mainly used to carry goods. Not to pack humans like sardines from Lagos to Aba. That bus has been responsible for thousands of deaths on Nigerian roads. I lost one of my friends who flew into this country and tried going to the east from Lagos with that brand called "Hummer". They perished somewhre near Ore. It should be banned totally. It is small. It is speedy. And the small interior forces passengers into very uncomfortable positions leaving them with no room to negotiate an escape once there is an impact.. For inter city travels, we should either be using the 'luxurious' buses, or the one we call "civilians" or something like ANAMCOs "14-14". . They are a bit bigger, less speedy, more comfortable and more amenable to Nigerian roads.
Bless you brother.

I was beginning to think everyone was blind.

Toyota Hiace is not used in most first world world country for commercial intercity commutes because it falls far below the required safety standards.

It is simply a wake up call for toyota to make it a safer vehicle.

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by Nobody: 9:10pm On Feb 21, 2015
tosag:
This is not a matter of literacy bro. I almost lost my twice December 4th, 2009 on my way home for the xmas break during my NYSC and Jan 8th 2011 while travelling to Lagos for a job interview.If I had enough money I wouldn't even think of travelling such long distance by road. What we have as roads are just "death traps". All the same, death will come when its time for it to come.

Some of us, especially those that travels from abroad like the person you responded to, love Nigeria and we miss her and her culture. We love traveling and by road which enables us to soak in the people and culture in a way that you cannot do from the air.

To call us stingy because we choose to motor around the country is an afrontation to all decent human beings.
Re: House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash by eaglechild: 11:09am On Feb 22, 2015
Cargoed:
Why is it that road construction companies do not have proper traffic management arrangements for roads under construction. You are travelling on an express road doing the legal 90km/hr suddenly you see a trailer coming in the opposite direction. No warning that you are on a diverted road.

So the legislators should ask construction companies how many road cones do they have. Just go and inspect them.
No proper number of diverted road signs.
No responsible checks in calming down diverted traffic with traffic cones.
In fact they will divert you to use a dangerous bend that only God can save you at even a simple 60km/hr speed........
Please they should look into this.
Why is it also difficult for road construction contracts to not include reflectors on the roads. From 6pm it becomes very dark I mean by 7pm you can hardly see 100meters ahead of you so reflectors on our high ways will aid driving and prevent lots of accident.
Also on many trailers passing many road safety officers there is no reflector at their back when they brake down ....u can not really see them at the side or even centre of the road.
So legislators I think u have a lot to worry about.
The hiace buses if banned what is ur alternative.
I like your concerns and they are very genuine ones.

Poor or absent diversion during road construction is a very dangerous practice.

Some of the proposed alternative to the Hiace, and similar vehicles will include

The Nissan NV passenger series similar to ford transit.
I have seen some transport companies using it.

The companies can also be made to improve the safety of the hiace and similar vehicles unless it should be limited to intracity use.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photos From President Buhari's Vsit To France / Kachikwu Sanctions NNPC Staff Over Scandalous Project Exposed By PREMIUM TIMES / Fuel Price Hike: Crack In Labour Camp Weakens Planned Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.