Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,188 members, 7,780,314 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:12 PM

Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) (136613 Views)

Java Study Group(online) / Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco / Cyberoam Study Group, Anyone? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (57) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by DanIndia(m): 7:54am On Apr 20, 2015
What are you talking about ? This isn't acting like you know everything. It is pretty obvious. CISCO knows there are simulators out there and try as much as they can to make sure you can't achieve the exam objective without a live gear. The only lab you can perform for CCNP SWITCH will be a basic one... . If you're aiming for CCNP, You can only ROUTE with simulators, you can't do SWITCH with it. You all give out options for passing exams but not skills for them to manage the certification. CCNP is not just the exam, it's about knowing how to tackle the labbings in a real world scenario. AGAIN, acquiring a cert is not encouraging people to pass it.

And yes, I know that one way or the other with the GNS3 v1.0 and Qemu's,VirtualBox and Dynamips, you'll be able to SWITCH a bit and if you're from a LINUX background, you're in LUCK.
The key concept that most people fail to realise is that GNS3 doesn’t emulate ANY routers and effectively* doesn’t emulate ANY switches. What GNS3 does is allow other emulators to connect multiple devices to each other.

Getting a rack rental or getting live gears or even connecting with friends who would give you access to telnet into their lab wouldn't hurt. Encourage people to get live hands on experience. The Job market is tough these days.
examdeal:

That is your own opinion if you DONT know how to tweak your system , you can ask - don't act like you know everrything. Anyways good luck to you .
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by snipesdam(m): 8:53am On Apr 22, 2015
henryskywalker2003:

Hi Snipesdam

Lol. I haven't "experimented" with redundancy on a large scale but I have actually implemented that. Now let me give you reasons why I say it is poorly designed based on what I am seeing on your diagram.

1. No one uses ROAS on an enterprise network if you want to implement redundany. If you can think back on the concept of ROAS, the vlans get routed using a single device which in your case is the router. Now the router isn't as fast as a switch is because it is software based unlike the switch that uses the ASIC which is a hardware implementation. Again, the way the ROAS works means that all the traffic comes to the router and exits it on a single port. Now imagine having a large amount of traffic coming and leaving the router on a 100mbps or 1gbps link. So, you will agree with me that ROAS isn't the way to go in this case.

2. Strictly speaking, I think you designed the network on the left to look good rather than to be functional, same thing for the bottom one. I mean, take a look at the way you arranged your switches. You didn't follow the basic hierachy of design which means that you should have an Access, Distribution and Core Layers, or at least have a Collapsed Core where you merge your Distribution and Core Layers. When STP kicks in, which it will or else you will have loops, All your redundant links will go down and you will effectively have only single working links at any given time, because the redundant ones will be blocked and hence not being used. So, in essence, you have a couple of links siting there doing nothing.

3. STP issues. Still on the network on the left, now, I don't know the config on those devices, but let's assume that the switch closest to the router gets elected to be the root bridge. Now, unless you specifically tweaked it, you know that what follows can be very random. Every switch finds the best way to get to the root bridge and still does that based on the same way that the root bridge is elected which means the oldest device/ lowest priority/lowest port number. So, imagine if the leftmost switch has a lower priority/mac/port number than that of the two switches connected to it and they in turn are lower than the other two, that means that the two switches closest to the root bridge will end up going all the way back to the leftmost switch in other to reach a root bridge that is directly connected to it. So, you need to re-arrange ur switches and optimise them for STP, which brings me to the next reason

4. STP presence. Looking at that network, it is obvious that you are using STP on the network. If you want a network with redundancy and high availability and very fast failovers, then you need to get rid of STP totally. This is 2015 for crying out loud, STP takes at best 15-30secs to failover. That is not good at all for any enterprise network. Even Cisco recommends that you get rid of STP on your network unless you ABSOLUTELY need it. So, designing an enterprise network with STP in mind and ending up designing it poorly isn't good at all.

5. Redundancy for the sake of redundancy is bad. You don't just start throwing redundant links just for the sake of it. Looking at your links, you even connected Access switches together which is also a terrible design. Access switches should ALWAYS be separate from each other unless they are feeding the same Vlans/subnet.

6. IP phones were eating up network ports. Why give your ip phones and PCs different ports when you can easily use one port on ur switch for an ip phone and a pc. The ip phones have an in built switch so, you can plug in your pc into the back of the ip phone and while the phone gets pluged into the switch. In the basic form, you can configure the native vlan of the switch to be that of the pc to still have your vlans working and if your switch supports it, you can configure a voice and access vlan on a single port.

I will like to see your configs on your network and also you ip address scheme.

Sorry it took so long to reply back. Lemme hit the points.

1. I can only agree with you that there is an error in my design with regards to Distribution layer and Access Layer. Which can be taken care of
bring in a few Multilayer switches.

2. My topology doesn't run on STP rather RSTP. Also since you haven't experimented on real life designs and its important for you to know that
switch ports go bad bad after sometime. Having that in mind you can't predict which will go off first regardless how simple or complex your
redundancy is. Imagine if one of your redundant port which has been forwarding goes down and your alternate port which has not been forwarding had earlier gone bad and you didn't notice because the root port has been doing its job well, then that switch cut off the grid talking from experience. Then comes why i choose to have my design that way. NOTE: When designing on simulators assume the worse that can happen in real life make provisions to contain it.

Take a look a the spanning tree simulation below and tell me what you think about it.

3. My VOip design. Your were taking like am a leaner grin. Note that my switch ports are configured to carry both voice and data.

Also hope you weren't excepting me to drop my configs here.

Besides i would like to see some of your designs if possible.

Also One question. I would like to achieve a design using a FRAME-RELAY, where branches (ROUTERS) with dlci 102, 103, 104 and communicate with the CORE dlci 101 with being neighbours yet branches can receive updates of subnets.

Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by DanIndia(m): 12:20pm On Apr 22, 2015
The core layer switches are screaming "Replace us with L3 switches"
Is this something you implemented on a site ?
I don't like to tell anyone what to do regarding their hierarchical design as this is something Cisco themselves defined as a logical model. You can replace whatever you want with what you want - as long as you can handle any issue come any may.
That being said, I was hoping I'd see at least a router in your topology. Why!!!!?? grin
Are you planning to implement VLANS and eradicate the need for Routers...?
snipesdam:

Sorry it took so long to reply back. Lemme hit the points.

1. I can only agree with you that there is an error in my design with regards to Distribution layer and Access Layer. Which can be taken care of
bring in a few Multilayer switches.

2. My topology doesn't run on STP rather RSTP. Also since you haven't experimented on real life designs and its important for you to know that
switch ports go bad bad after sometime. Having that in mind you can't predict which will go off first regardless how simple or complex your
redundancy is. Imagine if one of your redundant port which has been forwarding goes down and your alternate port which has not been forwarding had earlier gone bad and you didn't notice because the root port has been doing its job well, then that switch cut off the grid talking from experience. Then comes why i choose to have my design that way. NOTE: When designing on simulators assume the worse that can happen in real life make provisions to contain it.

Take a look a the spanning tree simulation below and tell me what you think about it.

3. My VOip design. Your were taking like am a leaner grin. Note that my switch ports are configured to carry both voice and data.

Also hope you weren't excepting me to drop my configs here.

Besides i would like to see some of your designs if possible.

Also One question. I would like to achieve a design using a FRAME-RELAY, where branches (ROUTERS) with dlci 102, 103, 104 and communicate with the CORE dlci 101 with being neighbours yet branches can receive updates of subnets.

Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by snipesdam(m): 1:08pm On Apr 22, 2015
DanIndia:
The core layer switches are screaming "Replace us with L3 switches"
Is this something you implemented on a site ?
I don't like to tell anyone what to do regarding their hierarchical design as this is something Cisco themselves defined as a logical model. You can replace whatever you want with what you want - as long as you can handle any issue come any may.
That being said, I was hoping I'd see at least a router in your topology. Why!!!!?? grin
Are you planning to implement VLANS and eradicate the need for Routers...?

That's just Spanning tree design.

Besides you haven't answered my last question wink
Go do some research and tell me grin
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by DanIndia(m): 3:18am On Apr 24, 2015
Is it that you like asking questions you already know answers to ?
snipesdam:

That's just Spanning tree design.

Besides you haven't answered my last question wink Go do some research and tell me grin

Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by tolekes(m): 5:20pm On May 01, 2015
I am a CCNA certified but passed the exam abt 3yrs ago. Unfortunately, it will be expiring later dis yr. I need to write my CCNP soonest but i lost my materials. Pls can someone help on how i can download CCNP tutorial videos online?
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by azygus11: 9:13pm On May 01, 2015
Hello good evening,,,..... I'm still a student of unilorin....... but I love to also be part in the IT world....so I need an insight on what to begin with.....I do hear abt networking,programing, ccna,ccnp,and others but I don't really understand them......I'll by so glad for a your replies.... thanks
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by olalekan225(m): 9:14am On Jun 15, 2015
P
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by olalekan225(m): 9:25am On Jun 15, 2015
And if u don't mind, u can send me ur numb so I can call u. Pls I want to do sth dis service year
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by DanIndia(m): 2:42pm On Jun 16, 2015
Hey Olalekan,

What questions do you have ? I currently am working on a more advanced CISCO certification but I sure would be able to squeeze time to answer your questions
olalekan225:
Pls am interested but need to ask a lot of questions has am a novice on d exam. Pls dis is my email "olalekan225@gmail.com
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by olalekan225(m): 5:45am On Jun 19, 2015
DanIndia:
Hey Olalekan,

What questions do you have ? I currently am working on a more advanced CISCO certification but I sure would be able to squeeze time to answer your questions
hw do I register for d programme, hw can I get the materials, lecture, hw long will it take to complete it and which course will u suggest I take thanks. Olalekan.ekundayo@yahoo.com
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by examdeal: 7:03am On Jun 19, 2015
olalekan225:
hw do I register for d programme, hw can I get the materials, lecture, hw long will it take to complete it and which course will u suggest I take thanks. Olalekan.ekundayo@yahoo.com

for CCNA/CCNP materials and Latest exam dumps, video tutorials, ebooks and more check www.examdeal.net
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by olalekan225(m): 10:49am On Jun 19, 2015
DanIndia:
Hey Olalekan,

thanks Dan
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by AweEngineer(m): 3:54pm On Jun 20, 2015
drcharles4me:
nice concept..... am Charles CCNp certified....
Ple where do you currently work ?

Could you help me get an IT place in any telecom sector ?
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by AweEngineer(m): 3:57pm On Jun 20, 2015
tolekes:
I am a CCNA certified but passed the exam abt 3yrs ago. Unfortunately, it will be expiring later dis yr. I need to write my CCNP soonest but i lost my materials. Pls can someone help on how i can download CCNP tutorial videos online?

I think youtube.com Would help
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by DanIndia(m): 11:42pm On Jun 20, 2015
I'll advise you to start with CCNA but you'll need to know a little something about networking and PC's before venturing into it. IF you happen to not have those basics then you'll need to get yourself acquainted with Network and PC Fundamentals. When you're admitted for a course, the Institute is bound to give you everything you need.
olalekan225:
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by DanIndia(m): 11:44pm On Jun 20, 2015
I agree with AweEngineer... and also the Cisco Official Cert Guide for CCNP
AweEngineer:

I think youtube.com Would help
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by wealthwage(m): 10:12am On Jun 21, 2015
Hello Dan,

Am interested in your online class. Kindly send me the link via " uoniah@gmail.com ".

Thanks
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by DanIndia(m): 3:53pm On Jun 21, 2015
Hey there,

Thank you for your interest. The classes may not hold soon as I'm currently working on an advanced level cert and I can barely make time for online classes. Hang around anyways, I may drop in anytime.
wealthwage:
Hello Dan,

Am interested in your online class. Kindly send me the link via " uoniah@gmail.com ".

Thanks

Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by alotofgrace(m): 6:18pm On Jun 22, 2015
DanIndia:
Hey folks,

DanIndia here. I'm planning to start a study group on Cisco certifications... as of now, it will be purely basic stuffs - CCNA topics mostly.
If anyone is interested in participating and is up for some hardcore hours labbing and has a laptop with the required specifications to run GNS3 and Packet Tracer, and is looking to motivate others, learn with others then comment on this thread and let me know if you're interested.

P.S: This is no advertisement for a Cisco Institution or some course with an Institution or whatsoever. This is just a personal invitation to learn together as a group. No charges and there will never be. It's 100% free... and this will continue for a long time and will be sharing career opportunities too.

Am in.

abume4life@gmail.com
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by olulove(m): 9:53pm On Jun 22, 2015
Im in also
Ajayifemmy@gmail.com
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by AweEngineer(m): 8:20am On Jul 07, 2015
DanIndia:
Hey there,

Thank you for your interest. The classes may not hold soon as I'm currently working on an advanced level cert and I can barely make time for online classes. Hang around anyways, I may drop in anytime.

good morning Dan,
please am currently studing for my CCNA .
In my course of study, i have not used any simulator . Do i need a simulator as i prepare for my CCNA ?

THANKS
warm regards.
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by debbie(f): 3:00pm On Jul 07, 2015
Who is ready to move to CCIE ? there is need to go past the CCNP.
There is something coming for those who wish to pursue their cisco career to that level.
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by AweEngineer(m): 7:22pm On Jul 07, 2015
debbie:
Who is ready to move to CCIE ? there is need to go past the CCNP.
There is something coming for those who wish to pursue their cisco career to that level.

i am ready to pursue my career to that level # CCIE# soonest .

Though still on the incubation stage, having difficulty getting an Industrial Attachment with my Ideal firm.if you could help me to that regard, i would be so greatful.

nevertheless,i know in a couple of years i would be there. .

Tell me what coming to them?
Can you tell me?

Thanks
warm regards.
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by Eddodoh(m): 10:19pm On Jul 07, 2015
DanIndia:
If you're planning to attend CCNA training and are thinking of paying an Institute then hold on on that thought.
For CCNA, you really wouldn't have to pay to pass it. You can self study online and can watch videos on CCNA online. Tons of them on youtube.
If you have a good and reliable internet connection, then please join us. Trust me, you never know until you try.
I find dis useful. I am not IT savvy, actually studied Cooperative Econs & presently work as a call center agent. Recently, i av bin thinkin of ways to chart a career path as i dnt really see my present job as a career.

I av bin in talks wit some on training i can do to chart a career. I met wit som1 in an IT firm who suggested i do CISCO & have bin considering making payment until i come across dis thread.
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by AweEngineer(m): 1:04am On Jul 08, 2015
Eddodoh:

I find dis useful. I am not IT savvy, actually studied Cooperative Econs & presently work as a call center agent. Recently, i av bin thinkin of ways to chart a career path as i dnt really see my present job as a career.

I av bin in talks wit some on training i can do to chart a career. I met wit som1 in an IT firm who suggested i do CISCO & have bin considering making payment until i come across dis thread.

you are most welcome.
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by DanIndia(m): 3:18pm On Jul 08, 2015
Yes, you do. Your best bet is Cisco Packet Tracer.
AweEngineer:

good morning Dan,
please am currently studing for my CCNA .
In my course of study, i have not used any simulator . Do i need a simulator as i prepare for my CCNA ?

THANKS
warm regards.
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by AweEngineer(m): 9:39pm On Jul 08, 2015
[/color][color=#000099]
DanIndia:

could you please help me with a link where i can download the packet tracer.

Or could you send the file to my email ?

Thanks.
Warm Regards.
DanIndia:

Thanks.
Warm Regards.
DanIndia:

Thanks.
Warm Regards.
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by Eddodoh(m): 10:18pm On Jul 08, 2015
AweEngineer:

you are most welcome.
Thank you!!! Wat opportunities are open to me wit skill in CISCO?
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by AweEngineer(m): 12:42am On Jul 09, 2015
Eddodoh:

Thank you!!! Wat opportunities are open to me wit skill in CISCO?

you can work in any
IT / TELECOM sector .

Where everything we do is digital.
Everywhere around us is IT.

OPportunities ar numerous.

I am sure your call center have IT department. You should visit them often and spend some extra time with them., i think it would be much more easier that way.

##MyOwn2Cent##
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by Eddodoh(m): 6:25am On Jul 09, 2015
AweEngineer:

you can work in any
IT / TELECOM sector .

Where everything we do is digital.
Everywhere around us is IT.

OPportunities ar numerous.

I am sure your call center have IT department. You should visit them often and spend some extra time with them., i think it would be much more easier that way.

##MyOwn2Cent##
Thanks
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by itcolony(m): 3:12pm On Jul 09, 2015
I am moving to networking field now after over 3 years experience in programming. I planned on having these certifications in few months

CCNA and CCNP Routing and Switching

CCNA and CCNP Security

Juniper (JUNOS, JNCIA and JNCIP Security)

Fortinet (FNCSA and FNCSP Security).

Total of 14 certifications.

With these a friend told me i could get a good job in Dubai. After that i will move to CCIE InshaAllah.

I will keep you updated.

Just passed the Fortinet FNCSA and FNCSP.

Next is cisco. I will start writing fully after ramadan. 12 exams within 2 months. I love challenge and i am enjoying it,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (57) (Reply)

Highest Paying Jobs In Nigeria And How Much They Pay / I Commented 'What A Nice Picture' On My Boss' Photo And She Is Taking It Up / Nigeria Immigration Salary Scale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.