Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,146 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:45 AM

Should Parents Barge Into Their Children's Rooms? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Parents Barge Into Their Children's Rooms? (2010 Views)

Is It Good For A Husband And Wife To Have Separate Rooms At Home? / 15 Lies All Nigerian Parents Tell Their Children / Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Parents Barge Into Their Children's Rooms? by uaphorism(m): 5:42pm On Feb 24, 2015
So, I went home to visit my folks on Sunday. Went to my room and discovered the bolts to it have been taken off undecided. I shrugged and settled in. Took the precaution of using an old pair of boxers as a sort of hook for the door to avoid someone barging in on me while I'm having my alone time which I observe nekkid..

Well, today while observing my alone time, earphones in my ear listening to Bon Jovi's, 'It Is My Life', I observed my door was being pushed; before I could get a cover cloth, my dad just bust into the room undecided I just lay there like roast chicken pretending to be oblivious of his presence..

Next, he tapped me and said, 'what are you doing? I replied, 'you shouldn't have barged in like that'.. he immediately went into a tirade of how it's his house and how he can damn well enter anywhere he wants to.. I simply packed my stuff and went back to base.

Anyway, my question is, should parents bust into their children's rooms, yes, even in their own house?
Re: Should Parents Barge Into Their Children's Rooms? by HURUCHI(m): 5:46pm On Feb 24, 2015
grin yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes
Re: Should Parents Barge Into Their Children's Rooms? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Feb 24, 2015
Even if he called out and knocked, would you have heard? If not, you'd be thankful he went against your wishes and saved your life should anything bad have happened God forbid.
Re: Should Parents Barge Into Their Children's Rooms? by cirmuell(m): 5:59pm On Feb 24, 2015
gringringrin

If u're above 18, NO! But if they barge in no lele, they own the house afterall.

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Barge Into Their Children's Rooms? by tpiah99: 6:28pm On Feb 24, 2015
uaphorism:
I simply packed my stuff and went back to base.

since you solved your problem yourself, why open a thread about it?

what kinds of comments are you looking for?
Re: Should Parents Barge Into Their Children's Rooms? by Zi: 6:41pm On Feb 24, 2015
Hahaha. OP you just made me remember growing up. My dad always came to peep in our room, like he was hoping to catch us in one crime or another. Even when we play cards, ludo etc, he will just open the door in ghost mode and peep.

We hated it (still do) but my dad was pro at it until one-day, I decided to tell him, "Mr, we are no longer babies in this house". Lol

It happened that I was changing sanitory towel on the cupboard beside the room door. Maybe instinct, but I knew he was coming to peep as usual. So I positioned the used one strategically kiss while fiddling with the nylon of the new one. And yes! He came and peeped. I held on a few seconds before I turned and gave him this horrible stare!

That was it! Done!

Funny thing is: I told my siblings that "Dad will never peep at us again", they waited for some weeks before hailing me "isi okpukpu" cheesy. We still joke about it till date.
Re: Should Parents Barge Into Their Children's Rooms? by opey112(m): 6:44pm On Feb 24, 2015
There should be courtesy I think
Re: Should Parents Barge Into Their Children's Rooms? by cirmuell(m): 6:49pm On Feb 24, 2015
Zi:
I hate it and my dad was pro at it till one day...
what did you do?
Re: Should Parents Barge Into Their Children's Rooms? by uaphorism(m): 8:44pm On Feb 24, 2015
tpiah99:

since you solved your problem yourself, why open a thread about it?

what kinds of comments are you looking for?
the purpose of the OP was to ask a question.. U didn't answer it..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Parents Barge Into Their Children's Rooms? by tpiah99: 9:01pm On Feb 24, 2015
Is there still a question after you have provided the answer?
Re: Should Parents Barge Into Their Children's Rooms? by Nobody: 9:31pm On Feb 24, 2015
It's very simple. . if you don't want anyone disturbing you, go build your own house. . You can't be forming Oga in someone else's house, your dad is a man like you so go get your own house. ..

Btw, why locking your door? undecided Abi it can't close without locking/bolting? which kind of private time can't be observed with clothes on?

Besides, could be he knocked but you didn't hear...
Re: Should Parents Barge Into Their Children's Rooms? by Joel3(m): 11:45pm On Feb 24, 2015
noo.

My dad, mum or any body always stand at the door calling if I am in.

I will have to give approval before they come in. Or if they wait and stay long for some minutes and I didn't respond then they will open even without approval.

This happened then....

Beside I don't use earpiece. And If I want to use I only make use of one ear.
Re: Should Parents Barge Into Their Children's Rooms? by coldgate(f): 9:55am On Feb 25, 2015
I don't think parents need to knock to enter any room in their own house, especially when they don't have guests staying over. OP, are you a guest? What are you hiding? Is it the weewee that they've been wiping and arranging inside your diapers since when you were a baby?

We often forget that we would always be children as far as our parents are concerned.
Re: Should Parents Barge Into Their Children's Rooms? by LewsTherin: 12:30pm On Feb 25, 2015
There is something called mutual respect. By the way, respect isn't given because someone is older than you. Respect is given because it is earned. Anything earned can just as easily be lost.

If I was looking in to check on the welfare of my kids, my under 15 kids, I must add, then all fine and good. But if I'm barging in simply because "it's my house!", that is plain irresponsiblility and a total lack of respect for the children I am supposedly raising right. After all, every parent believes they are raising their children right and if I have to sneak in with the expectation of catching them in the act of doing something wrong, I have obviously failed as a father in raising my kids right.

Talk less of when its a fully grown-assed young man.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

About To Marry? Check Your Genotype And Blood Group Compatibility! / I Broke Up With Her Because Of Bleaching / Pregnant For The Wrong Man???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.