Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,829 members, 7,802,653 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:19 PM

Female Maths Prodigy Says She's Studying 22nd Century Maths Today. Phew!!!! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Female Maths Prodigy Says She's Studying 22nd Century Maths Today. Phew!!!! (1363 Views)

She Says She Schools In Covenant University (photo) / Clay Math Institute Denies Century Old Math Problem Solved By Nigerian / See The Cost Of Studying For 5 Years In A Nigerian University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Female Maths Prodigy Says She's Studying 22nd Century Maths Today. Phew!!!! by DonDiego(m): 1:12pm On Feb 25, 2015
In view of the recent media hysteria about the 10 year old British girl of Nigerian parentage Esther Okade who is already studying for a university degree in Mathematics at the UK Open University after making A and B grades in Mathematics in her O and A Levels respectively, one had to seek out her other illustrious Maths forebear, Ruth Lawrence. Lawrence went ahead of Okade and was also a maths prodigy in the 1980s. She got admitted into Oxford University at 10 years of age after straight As in Maths at O and A levels and graduated three years later with a First Class in Mathematics. Today she is an professor of mathematics at the Einstein Institute of Mathematics, Hebrew University of Jerusalem after teaching at one of America's most prestigious universities for the study of maths: the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor. She still studies and teaches her pet love, Mathematics and this time Lawrence is into a branch of mathematics so arcane and abstract that they are referred to as the Knot Theory Algebraic Topology. According to a report on her, the Knot Theory is "so mind-bogglingly complicated for the non-mathematician that it will be years before technology and science advance enough to make any practical use of it."

Read further:

"Knot theory is the broad term for the rarefied branch of maths Ruth is now studying and teaching at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, near Detroit. Broadly speaking, it is about, well, knots - their geometry and behaviour, the more complicated they get. But try to narrow it down and you will find yourself in a dense thicket of phrases like "partition functions of a topological quantum field theory".

"Maths is in the end a tool which can be used," she says. "But you shouldn't expect that deep fundamental research will be applicable to anything in the next 50 years."

Ruth was the girl who, aged nine, won the top maths A-level mark; who went to study mathematics at Oxford in 1983 before she was even in her teens, accompanied for all three years by her father, Harold; and who graduated with a first in 1985.

After that, she seemed to disappear from view, though in fact nothing really changed. She simply carried on working, pursuing a brilliant career in mathematics that in 1993 led to her appointment at Michigan.

Nobody there, she says, has any problems with being taught by a 25-year- old. "I don't think they notice after the first day."

Like others her age, she has embraced the Internet with enthusiasm, using it to meet other mathematicians and scientists; she has her own Web page, offering links mostly to mathematical resources, but also to an exhibition of Chagall pictures and a florist. If a Web page indicates a person's character, one would judge that Professor Lawrence is intensely wrapped up in her work. That, certainly, makes no change from the past.

And her personal life does not appear to have changed significantly, either. When you call her home near the university, in Ann Arbor outside Detroit, it is her father, now 57, who answers. It was he who almost obsessively taught her maths from the earliest days. Is he visiting now, or living there? She pauses. "He's ... he does help with typing up papers. But we don't collaborate on them, on research. He helps with proofreading."

She has a word of advice for Sufiah Yusof, the Northampton girl who later this year will, just like her, go to Oxford to read mathematics at the age of 12.

"Enjoy the subject, the beauty of the subject, " she says. "My father brought me up with maths always around me. I always thought it was very beautiful."

Her chosen topic was topology, or the study of surfaces and interconnections. The language of it is complete gibberish to the layman. Her CV says: "My main research interests are in the vast area which has come to be known as Jones-Witten theory." This is where knots and those topological quantum field theories come in. Putting it into words is virtually impossible. Even pictures don't really do it justice. Like all high maths, only equations will do.

"Paraphrase it? Mmmmm," she says, sounding mistrustful of the idea. "Any reader would probably get the wrong impression. It's not like a piece of biology that you can put on a microscope slide. Knot theory is about the very beautiful connections that exist between the invariance of knots" - that is, how some knots just can't be untied or simplified - "and manifolds" (not engine parts, but multi-dimensional constructs).

Surely that's about as abstruse, and unapplicable to anything in real life, as they come? She systematically squashes the suggestion, citing the theory, developed at the beginning of this century, of infinite-dimensional complex spaces. Abstruse? Then, certainly.

"But it led in the 1920s to the possibility of quantum theory; and that made it possible to understand the idea of energy levels of quantum objects. Which led, in time to the laser.

"And even when lasers were invented, people were saying, 'What use is that?' Now, of course, it's everywhere, in compact disc players, laser printers... That's what maths is like: it has always shown itself to be useful in the end."

So somewhere in the future there lies a physical use for phrases she uses with carefree abandon, such as the Jones-Witten theory, and the Yang-Baxter equation, and braid groups, and the Iwahori-Hecke algebra. But it lies somewhere ahead - at a time when Ruth Lawrence will be remembered for her work, not her name."
Re: Female Maths Prodigy Says She's Studying 22nd Century Maths Today. Phew!!!! by kilokeys(m): 1:15pm On Feb 25, 2015
wtf cry " british girl with nigerian parentage"..

shouldnt it be Nigerian with a british passport?
Re: Female Maths Prodigy Says She's Studying 22nd Century Maths Today. Phew!!!! by DonDiego(m): 1:25pm On Feb 25, 2015
kilokeys:
wtf cry " british girl with nigerian parentage"..

shouldnt it be Nigerian with a british passport?

She apparently doesn't own a Nigerian passport having been born and raised in the UK. So, how does that make her Nigerian?
Re: Female Maths Prodigy Says She's Studying 22nd Century Maths Today. Phew!!!! by ERCROSS(m): 2:30pm On Feb 25, 2015
NIGERIA, when are we ever going to start from where this people start.. Sometimes I jst wish I am not a Nigerian...
For a typical Nigerian university, everything na theory theory, even the lecturers r not helping matters as some don't even care if u understand the topic under discussion or not... and one starts to wonder why he/she keeps failing an exam as simple as JAMB when u look back at those years after graduating...
To kon get work nkor... Na wahala,..

I wonder when dis economy will encourage students to follow their desired courses.. Not jst diz one that every science student wan study medicine and surgery while every commercial students wants to be an accountant jst coz of the money dey v been told d office offers...

I weep for my country....
Re: Female Maths Prodigy Says She's Studying 22nd Century Maths Today. Phew!!!! by Temmi001: 2:54pm On Feb 25, 2015
So??should that be New??I concluded everything about Quantum mechanics and Relativity at age three...
Re: Female Maths Prodigy Says She's Studying 22nd Century Maths Today. Phew!!!! by DonDiego(m): 4:01pm On Feb 25, 2015
Temmi001:
So??should that be New??I concluded everything about Quantum mechanics and Relativity at age three...

grin grin grin grin grin grin You must be a super genius.
Re: Female Maths Prodigy Says She's Studying 22nd Century Maths Today. Phew!!!! by TheGavy: 5:36pm On Feb 25, 2015
Ridiculous.
Re: Female Maths Prodigy Says She's Studying 22nd Century Maths Today. Phew!!!! by DharmyYinks: 10:03pm On Oct 23, 2015
Temmi001:
shocked shocked
Re: Female Maths Prodigy Says She's Studying 22nd Century Maths Today. Phew!!!! by Temmi001: 10:21pm On Oct 23, 2015
DharmyYinks:
shocked shocked
You still traced me here.. Ok!
Re: Female Maths Prodigy Says She's Studying 22nd Century Maths Today. Phew!!!! by DharmyYinks: 10:25pm On Oct 23, 2015
Temmi001:
You still traced me here.. Ok!
grin grin
Re: Female Maths Prodigy Says She's Studying 22nd Century Maths Today. Phew!!!! by haywhy911(m): 10:35pm On Oct 23, 2015
I sight u,DharymyYinks!
Re: Female Maths Prodigy Says She's Studying 22nd Century Maths Today. Phew!!!! by DharmyYinks: 12:23am On Oct 26, 2015
haywhy911:
I sight u,DharymyYinks!
Boss of life cool

(1) (Reply)

2015/2016 Waec Official Time Table / How Can I Make Second Class Upper Hons / 15 Causes Of Examination Failure....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.