Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,132 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:40 AM

Do Man Have An Immortal Soul? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do Man Have An Immortal Soul? (1068 Views)

How Can Jesus Give Everlasting Life To Immortal Beings? / Was Jesus Refering To An Immortal Soul In Mattew 10:28? / A Deadly Blow that DESTROYS the Doctrine of Immortal Soul (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Man Have An Immortal Soul? by oneda(m): 3:33pm On Feb 25, 2015
My regards to you all.

My questions goes to mostly my Jehovah witness brothers. One came to me sometime ago at home and I asked him this question, Do man have an immortal soul?
He was quick to point out to me from the book of Ecclesiastes that "the dead are conscious of nothing" and also from the book of Genesis that "out of the dust you were taken and to the dust you shall return." Therefore, according to him, man do not have an immortal soul which goes on living after death.

I won't argue this, but please, I beg answers to these questions

1. Genesis 4:10 ''... The voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground." Also Hebrews 11:4 :...and by it he being dead yet speaketh" I accept that this is a weak point because only God could know how one being Dead yet speaketh, but here implies Abel is conscious in deat for the dead do not speak. Where is he speaking from?

2. Deuteronomy 34:56 "So Moses the servant of the LORD died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the LORD. And He buried him in the valley in the land of Moab, opposite Beth-peor; but no man knows his burial place to this day.…"

Luke 9:29-31 And while He was praying, the appearance of His face became different, and His clothing became white and gleaming. 30 And behold, two men were talking with Him; and they were Moses and Elijah, 31 who, appearing in glory, were speaking of His departure which He was about to accomplish at Jerusalem.…

Wait o, If man do not have an immortal soul, where did Moses come from? I accept Elijah did not die but Moses died and was buried but since the resurrection of the dead had not yet happened, how come Moses now lives?

3. Revelation 6:9 When he opened the fifth seal, I saw underneath the altar+ the souls*+ of those slaughtered because of the word of God and because of the witness they had given.+ 10 They shouted with a loud voice, saying: “Until when, Sovereign Lord, holy and true,+ are you refraining from judging and avenging our blood on those who dwell on the earth?”+ 11 And a white robe was given to each of them,+ and they were told to rest a little while longer, until the number was filled of their [size=18pt]fellow slaves[/size] shocked shocked shocked and their brothers who were about to be killed as they had been.+ (I have to copy this verse from the JW bible; The New World Translation)

From the above passage as I emphasized, the following points are clear
(a) these are dead "souls" (according to the NWT, souls means man)
(b) These dead souls could shout
(c) These dead souls could wear clothes
(d) These dead souls could rest
(e) Their fellow "slaves" (Jesus do not call His followers slaves so i oneda where NWT got this term from) and brothers were still alive and in the world.

It is clear that the resurrection had not yet happened but these souls though dead in the altar in Heaven are consciously shouting for justice, consciously able to wear clothes and consciously resting (you do not tell a dead man to rest, he is already resting)
So please my JW brothers explain this to me; How did these dead souls, who should be conscious of nothing and resting in the dust of the earth, get to heaven to make requests?

Please i beg answers of you Jehovah Witnesses and any other person who do not support the notion of the immortality of the human soul.
Re: Do Man Have An Immortal Soul? by Tallesty1(m): 3:37pm On Feb 25, 2015
This place belongs to the army, keep off.
Re: Do Man Have An Immortal Soul? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Feb 25, 2015
You first need to understand what the term "soul" is and then understand how it is being used in the Bible in different places.

The consciousness of the dead is that they are dead. Yes ! The dead are dead.

Read the account of the resurrection of Lazarus by Jesus in John 11. The hope the sister of Lazarus had on him living again was on the resurrection. Why ?
Where did Lazarus go to at death ? Heaven ? Hell NO ! He spent for days in the grave. Remember how Jesus described his state ? He is asleep, which Jesus meant that he is dead. Why is sleep likened as death in the Bible ?

I might not be able to give you the answers you seek ok ? But note that the dead can't praise the Lord. The hope of the righteous is the resurrection.
If the dead are alive in heaven or anywhere, then it counters the possibility of the resurrection.

My question to you now would be , did Jesus have a soul ? Where did Jesus go at death ? Recall, he didn't go to heaven.
Re: Do Man Have An Immortal Soul? by MizMyColi(f): 3:43pm On Feb 25, 2015
There are more pressing things other than this inquest, which is just another avenue for everyone to come in and brandish how their belief/unbelief trumps others.

I am yet to understand why we take these dogmas and traditions too seriously.
I hold on loosely to them.

Like Jesus said, "Occupy, till I come".

Some of us have become so heaven, eternity and immortality conscious that we have become earthly unprofitable to our world in the grand scheme of things.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Man Have An Immortal Soul? by MissSlimbody(f): 3:48pm On Feb 25, 2015
Tallesty1:
This place belongs to the army, keep off.

And if I don't? tongue
Re: Do Man Have An Immortal Soul? by Tallesty1(m): 4:00pm On Feb 25, 2015
MissSlimbody:

And if I don't? tongue
My mistress, how are you?
Re: Do Man Have An Immortal Soul? by MissSlimbody(f): 4:03pm On Feb 25, 2015
Tallesty1:
My mistress, how are you?

I'm very fine...You?

@Mistress, that word is ambiguous ooo grin
Re: Do Man Have An Immortal Soul? by johnydon22(m): 4:13pm On Feb 25, 2015
If you can understand the state you were before you were conceived (complete state of none existence and nothingness) then you will understand the state you will go back to when you die...

oya make i occupy my own space shaaa grin
Re: Do Man Have An Immortal Soul? by Tallesty1(m): 4:18pm On Feb 25, 2015
MissSlimbody:

I'm very fine...You?

I am finer.

Ambiguous kee, it means exactly what it meanscheesycheesycheesy
Re: Do Man Have An Immortal Soul? by Nobody: 4:25pm On Feb 25, 2015
MissSlimbody:

I'm very fine...You?

that first meaning dat came to ur mind is what he meant
Re: Do Man Have An Immortal Soul? by Jeromejnr(m): 4:32pm On Feb 25, 2015
johnydon22:
If you can understand the state you were before you were conceived (complete state of none existence and nothingness) then you will understand the state you will go back to when you die...

oya make i occupy my own space shaaa grin

You again grin. So I guess you have understood the place you were before you were conceived.
Re: Do Man Have An Immortal Soul? by Crocz(m): 4:42pm On Feb 25, 2015
Hmm...this is gonna be fun when those ardent debaters get in here...just what I need right now

O ya make I siddon dey watch as I allocate points
Re: Do Man Have An Immortal Soul? by omoayeni1(m): 4:46pm On Feb 25, 2015
Death is just like when one is at sleep some people sleep like 16hours and it look like 30minute sleep when they wake,just like that when we all wake at the last day,let me tell you a lot have change since the birth of Christ so forget you see Moses,Jesus change a lot of things.
Re: Do Man Have An Immortal Soul? by johnydon22(m): 4:50pm On Feb 25, 2015
Jeromejnr:

You again grin. So I guess you have understood the place you were before you were conceived.

yeah you and i know this place.. didnt you see where i wrote it in bracket above...

[size=20] None existence...Nothingness [/size]

but come oo guy no deh follow me anyhow, abeg me deh homophobic ooo ogini sef grin grin
Re: Do Man Have An Immortal Soul? by Jeromejnr(m): 5:00pm On Feb 25, 2015
johnydon22:

yeah you and i know this place.. didnt you see where i wrote it in bracket above...

[size=20] None existence...Nothingness [/size]

but come oo guy no deh follow me anyhow, abeg me deh homophobic ooo ogini sef grin grin

Wetin I go do na. As I just dey see u everywhere trying to disprove the existence of your creator.

So I see you believe in the beauty of mankind. Beauty out of chaos.

I will like to get your take on how the darkness of space or the empty void before the big bang was brought into being.

Afterall my God is the only one who has said He is the beginning and the ending, the Alpha and the Omega. There was no beginning before Him. (We accept that by faith and figure that's all we can know for now. We don't try to reason out God with our little brains).

Please do tell.

1 Like

Re: Do Man Have An Immortal Soul? by MissSlimbody(f): 5:00pm On Feb 25, 2015
Tallesty1:
I am finer.

Ambiguous kee, it means exactly what it meanscheesycheesycheesy

If you say so smiley
Re: Do Man Have An Immortal Soul? by oneda(m): 5:07pm On Feb 25, 2015
MizMyColi:
There are more pressing things other than this inquest, which is just another avenue for everyone to come in and brandish how their belief/unbelief trumps others.

I am yet to understand why we take these dogmas and traditions too seriously.
I hold on loosely to them.

Like Jesus said, "Occupy, till I come".

Some of us have become so heaven, eternity and immortality conscious that we have become earthly unprofitable to our world in the grand scheme of things.

Mathew 16:6 , you can have bread without the leaven, yet Jesus saw it appropriate to warn his followers to beware of the leaven of the Pharisees. If Jesus thought it right to warn about false doctrine, why shouldn't we?
Be careful before you, willing to be profitable to the world in the grand scheme of things, become self righteous.

If you have lost sight of eternity, heaven, immortality then I wonder what you are conscious of again.
Re: Do Man Have An Immortal Soul? by ayoku777(m): 5:16pm On Feb 25, 2015
oneda

1Peter 3v18 -For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the spirit:

By which also He went and preached unto the spirits in prison.

This scripture shows that when Jesus was physically dead, His soul and spirit was active during those three days and nights His body was in the grave. Bible said;

"...He went and preached unto the spirits in prison."

This means that even though His body was dead (or asleep) in the tomb; His spirit was fully active -preaching.

And then secondly, it said he went to preach unto the spirits in prison.

These are not evil spirits, Jesus didn't go to preach to evil spirits. These are the spirits of those who have died. Meaning these spirits too were conscious and animate; they could see and hear, listen to a preaching and also respond to it.

It means the soul and spirit stays conscious and animate even when the body dies (or sleep).

This truth fully agrees with what Paul also said in;

2Cor 5v6,8 -Therefore we are always confident, knowing that whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:

We are confident, I say and willing rather to be absent from the body, and present with the Lord

You see; to be absent from the body (that is to die or sleep) is to be present with the Lord. The human souls don't stay sleeping with the body in the grave, it goes to be with Jesus if we are born again.

Another scripture:

Philippians 1v22-23 -But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not.

For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, AND TO BE WITH CHRIST; which is far better.

You see all these verses. The souls and spirits don't stay sleeping with the bodies in the grave when a man dies. It remains conscious and animate even after physical death. And it departs to be with the Lord if they are saved or in hell if not.

2 Likes

Re: Do Man Have An Immortal Soul? by johnydon22(m): 6:15pm On Feb 25, 2015
Jeromejnr:

Wetin I go do na. As I just dey see u everywhere trying to disprove the existence of your creator.

So I see you believe in the beauty of mankind. Beauty out of chaos.

I will like to get your take on how the darkness of space or the empty void before the big bang was brought into being.

Afterall my God is the only one who has said He is the beginning and the ending, the Alpha and the Omega. There was no beginning before Him. (We accept that by faith and figure that's all we can know for now. We don't try to reason out God with our little brains).

Please do tell.
hahahahahahahaha
grin grin
@bolded, Allah have made that claim, Zeus have made that claim, mithras also, horus did, krishna did, jesus did... so which of them is ur God and why do you think is the real God and not the others..grin

disprove what?

when you have not proven it... lolzz

imagine the irony...

Why dont you worry about proving it first... grin...

If you keep following me about, you are gonna love it...smiley
Re: Do Man Have An Immortal Soul? by Jeromejnr(m): 6:25pm On Feb 25, 2015
johnydon22:

hahahahahahahaha
grin grin
@bolded, Allah have made that claim, Zeus have made that claim, mithras also, horus did, krishna did...

disprove what?

when you have not proven it... lolzz

imagine the irony...

sheeey you love me?? grin

Naaa. Those fake God's never claimed to be the beginning and the end. The so called Zeus was not even the first. There where titans before him and his father was Chronos. The so called Chronos never once claims to be the creator of the universe.

Anyways, how do I know my God is real; He is alive in me and has drastically changed me for the better. And I have hope eternal.

If you open your heart then He manifests Himself to you.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Happy Birthday To Daddy GO, Past. E.A Adeboye / PHOTOS : ANGRY RESIDENTS SMASH PASTOR’S HEAD FOR DISTURBING D STREETS WITH NOISE / Believing In A Supreme God.. Yet Feeling Feed Up With The Concept Of Christianit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.