Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,855 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:29 PM

One Night With A Witch - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / One Night With A Witch (2370 Views)

Nnedi Okorafor Called A Witch By A Nigerian Man Via E-mail / The Carpenter, The Witch And The Mysterious Mirrow / One Night Stand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Night With A Witch by Nobody: 5:53pm On Feb 25, 2015
As a young boy growing up in Nigeria, I think I should have an anthology of things I should be afraid of, of things I should religiously fast and pray for and against, things my parents want me to be afraid of. After the fear of God, I discovered I had a very long list of other things or people I should be afraid of. Taking the lead are the dirty, old, scruffy and often gaunt looking malevolent women who reside at the extreme of my village where they go about doing the work they are paid for, evil. They call these women witches, true, apart from the fact that these women are supposed to be ugly, one thing makes me curious about them. The fact that like most of our top pastors, these women have their own private jets, even though their jets only fly in the deepest parts of the night, possibly because they do not have the literacy to apply for a private jet license or maybe in a bid to evade the ever sensitive FAAN radar, after all, we are talking about illiterate village women here.
To even buttress the fact that these women are uncommonly humble people who avoid ostentatious display of wealth, some of these women even have their own private air fields. You see, they dont need to go through the tiring and frustrating protocol to hang their “jets” at the airport, they can simply take off from their homes and land in other places. Despite all these breaches of official protocol, these gallant aviators, unlike most of our airlines, hardly record any mishap. Even when they do, they almost always survive till the next morning, before the news of their crash would be told from their very mouths!
But the problem with these witches is that they are constantly planning for evil. They are the first to dance shoki whenever someone fails an exam, they are the first to dance skelewu whenever somebody's business fails woefully. Their methods of recruiting new members are fantastic, they simply give a young girl sumptuous candies to distribute to her classmates on her birthday and boom! They have forty new members, isn’t that amazing? How I wish admission into Nigerian Universities were that easy....
Again, I'm quite amazed by their modus operandi. I mean, they go about at night causing evil. Isn’t that simply ingenious? I mean, the best time to do things you wouldn’t want others to see you doing is at night, under the assuring camouflage of darkness. During one of my holidays in the village, I decided that I would stay awake at night and catch one of these witches doing the deed. Luckily,that night, I did. When I asked what her problem with people's success was, she said she had no problem with people. Then I asked her why people blame her for all their mishaps, she gave a throaty demonic laugh, typical of witches. She said that she had family problems to attend to, she had children to feed, so why do people feel she had nothing else to do other than cause harm?
I asked her if she flew at night. She replied by saying that if she could fly, she would make more money doing midnight kabu kabu than flying around hunting people. Then I asked her why people encounter bad fortune. She responded by saying that people write their own fate with their hands.
Then I came to the conclusion that instead of fasting, praying and cursing innocent and peace loving witches like the one above, people should actually wake up and fix their bad fortunes themselves. I am personally championing this mission for the emancipation of peace loving witches and wizards in Nigeria, we have blamed them enough for our bad luck and the bad days in our lives. The truth is, our imperfections as humans makes us liable to fail, it is how we accept our failures as our responsibility that truly differentiate great men from Ordinary men

3 Likes

Re: One Night With A Witch by susrite(m): 5:56pm On Feb 25, 2015
Re: One Night With A Witch by Nobody: 2:38pm On Feb 26, 2015
susrite:

bro why na? grin
Re: One Night With A Witch by Matrix2: 5:22pm On Jun 09, 2016
I ve been 1 of d nairaland ghost reader buh sumtin pushd me to say sumtin...in dis ur story,bro i undastand dat u support d witch and agreed wit ha wit wateva she said. hmmm! Jst pray she dnt initiate u o

1 Like

Re: One Night With A Witch by jayphe(m): 7:16pm On Jun 29, 2019
Lolz..... I think I get what you mean here. But we are taking about black magic. To me, I no accept that one o

(1) (Reply)

The Scandal Of Fate (my Life) / Three Days Of Watching My Wife Fu¢k: Am So Helpless / Story, The Hiddens

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.