Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,202 members, 7,807,683 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:19 PM

I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back (68555 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 11 / Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 2:44pm On Feb 26, 2015
Hello Nairalanders, Please I need ur advise. Am currently 2months pregnant, and My husband is thinking of us relocating to Canada. I currently work in the bank while my husband is into Forex and Securities Trading Business. We were doing averagely okay until last year when business started shaking, my husband has lost a lot and now he is thinking of us relocating to Canada to start afresh. If I resign and we sell our properties, and the little savings we have should be enough to sponsor him for a Postgraduate Course (2years), while I follow him as his wife ( then I get a job), he wants this option cos am a professional and I have good work experience. Option 2 is for me to do a post graduate course and he accompanies me (mayb I will get a good job fast cos of my qualifications). if I wait till we have our baby, the expenses will be much(I.e the financial requirement for the visa). My hubby's uncle is ready to assist us, but my husband doesn't want to take the risk of investing in business again. He has Sasacheskwan or Toronto in mind. I will really appreciate advise thanks

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by kilokeys(m): 2:53pm On Feb 26, 2015
hmmm. i foncuse o..
naija is always ur home
i suggest u try canada.
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 2:57pm On Feb 26, 2015
kilokeys:
hmmm. i foncuse o..
naija is always ur home
i suggest u try canada.
. Thank you, I don't mind following my husband anywhere but am just confused on the best option, that's why am asking for advise, people who av been in this situation b4, people who have relocated to canada with their family members(using study permit). I forgot to add my sis in law is in Vancouver studying too. I just don't want him to be frustrated, he really wants out but he doesn't want to leave me behind.

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by kilokeys(m): 3:02pm On Feb 26, 2015
irridemi:
. Thank you, I don't mind following my husband anywhere but am just confused on the best option, that's why am asking for advise, people who av been in this situation b4, people who have relocated to canada with their family members(using study permit). I forgot to add my sis in law is in Vancouver studying too. I just don't want him to be frustrated, he really wants out but he doesn't want to leave me behind.

anywhere he goes, u go
with good faith
and i know it shall be well

56 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 3:05pm On Feb 26, 2015
kilokeys:

anywhere he goes, u go
with good faith
and i know it shall be well
God bless you. Thanks and Amen. He's such a hardworking Man, and business isnot smiling, and I don't want to just discourage his ideas. Please people help out, and God bless u as u do,

8 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by fwwins(m): 3:10pm On Feb 26, 2015
What exactly are you scared of?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by suxes2005(m): 3:14pm On Feb 26, 2015
irridemi:
God bless you. Thanks and Amen. He's such a hardworking Man, and business isnot smiling, and I don't want to just discourage his ideas. Please people help out, and God bless u as u do,

There are some countries where your hardwork only give you money to eat and pay basic bills.

You two cut across a hardworking couple, so I'll support the motion that says: follow your husband to Canada.

Since your in-law is there, she should give you more info as well.

God bless your hustles

~ Sheyi

20 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Fabdedon(m): 3:17pm On Feb 26, 2015
how sure are you that you would get a Job there when you get there...
What about accommodation?
Your husband must have seen many advantages to this..
He believes in you and him self and also wants the baby to be a citizen there.. For me it is a go...

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by worry359(m): 3:21pm On Feb 26, 2015
Your husband has lost money in something that is not a real buisness, it is just like gambling.
Do not be deceived by sweet talk and promises, this is no way to plan a future.
Does your husband intend to sit at a computer all his life or will you make him go out to work.
There is no point spending your money if it only allows him to live the life of a waster.

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 3:23pm On Feb 26, 2015
fwwins:
fwwins:
I am just scared of going to an unknown place without guarantee of job for me. I hope to work and support him while he is in school. And he hopes to do that if I am the one going to study while he will be working. My fear is just the job part cos my sister in law just finished her PGD and she hasn't gotten a job yet and she wants to take up another course. My hubby suggested satsachekwan because of what he read that the place is cold but fair when it comes to getting jobs and immigration issues

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 3:28pm On Feb 26, 2015
worry359:
Your husband has lost money in something that is not a real buisness, it is just like gambling.
Do not be deceived by sweet talk and promises, this is no way to plan a future.
Does your husband intend to sit at a computer all his life or will you make him go out to work.
There is no point spending your money if it only allows him to live the life of a waster.
in as much as I appreciate ur comment, you should also watch what u say. I never told u my husband was doing an online business, he has an office, a company and he is a broker and not a gambler. If u read my post carefully, I said he wants to further his studies, ( is that sitting on a computer), and I never said I make him go out to work. My husband is a very hardworking man, and there are a lot of companies that have been affected by the exchange rates even the banks. And please there is nothing like sweet promises, he has never failed in his responsibilities, am I here to seek opinion about relocating and not whether my husband is a waster or not. Please watch ur words!!!

272 Likes 10 Shares

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 3:29pm On Feb 26, 2015
suxes2005:

There are some countries where your hardwork only give you money to eat and pay basic bills.

You two cut across a hardworking couple, so I'll support the motion that says: follow your husband to Canada.

Since your in-law is there, she should give you more info as well.

God bless your hustles

~ Sheyi
Amen thank u

3 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by fwwins(m): 3:35pm On Feb 26, 2015
irridemi:
I am just scared of going to an unknown place without guarantee of job for me. I hope to work and support him while he is in school. And he hopes to do that if I am the one going to study while he will be working. My fear is just the job part cos my sister in law just finished her PGD and she hasn't gotten a job yet and she wants to take up another course. My hubby suggested satsachekwan because of what he read that the place is cold but fair when it comes to getting jobs and immigration issues

Ok. The truth is that it may not be easy at first but in a long run the risk will definitely be worth it. #fromexperience

12 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 3:37pm On Feb 26, 2015
fwwins:

Ok. The truth is that it may not be easy at first but in a long run the risk will definitely be worth it. #fromexperience
Thank you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by fwwins(m): 3:42pm On Feb 26, 2015
irridemi:
Thank you.

You are welcome.

I pray whatever step you'd take at this time will make your life and that of family better

13 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by EMEzzy(m): 3:46pm On Feb 26, 2015
Relocate to otuoke.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 3:47pm On Feb 26, 2015
EMEzzy:
Relocate to otuoke.
lol

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 4:00pm On Feb 26, 2015
Please comments from people who have taken study permit(with their spouse before) to canada, pls share ur experiences please please please.

5 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by EMEzzy(m): 4:07pm On Feb 26, 2015
irridemi:
lol
Lol, i thought you would abuse me?
Anyway my advise is you both follow your heart and do what you think is best and also include your unborn child in any decision you agree upon,everything will turn out right by faith.
If it were the UK i would have been able to help in some capacity but i know nothing about canada. Goodluck

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 4:12pm On Feb 26, 2015
EMEzzy:
Lol, i thought you would abuse me?
Anyway my advise is you both follow your heart and do what you think is best and also include your unborn child in any decision you agree upon,everything will turn out right by faith.
If it were the UK i would have been able to help in some capacity but i know nothing about canada. Goodluck
lol why will I abuse u haba. Thanks for the advise, I don't no much about countries but I heard there are no jobs in U.K. But no knowledge is wasted, u can still help out with U.K information, mayb my hubby can have a change. Thanks I really do appreciate ur comment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by RedCapChief(m): 4:28pm On Feb 26, 2015
Speaking as someone who has actually been to Canada, I can tell you that:

- Canada is a beautiful country. When I travelled, it was so cold but yet everything worked - light, water, roads.
- Canada is an expensive country. If you don't have 20,000 dollars on ice, don't migrate. I'll advise you to take a 'testing the waters' trip first. Tell your relatives to invite you and see what it is like. Another very important factor is accommodation; tacitly ask your relatives if they can accommodate you for six months. You find out that good housing can be bloody expensive, nearly 1800 CAD in some areas of the Greater Toronto Area.
-What happens if the working spouse is not able to make enough money to pay the bills, and the studying spouse is draining the saved up cash?
- An amazing advantage is that any child you give birth to in Canada becomes a Canadian citizen. You will even get some government benefits on top the pikin head.

In all, I really wish you the best as you mull this decision. Get a lot of information, ask a lot of questions and save a lot of money. But, don't jump into the water with both feet!

70 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 4:39pm On Feb 26, 2015
RedCapChief:
Speaking as someone who has actually been to Canada, I can tell you that:

- Canada is a beautiful country. When I travelled, it was so cold but yet everything worked - light, water, roads.
- Canada is an expensive country. If you don't have 20,000 dollars on ice, don't migrate. I'll advise you to take a 'testing the waters' trip first. Tell your relatives to invite you and see what it is like. Another very important factor is accommodation; tacitly ask your relatives if they can accommodate you for six months. You find out that good housing can be bloody expensive, nearly 1800 CAD in some areas of the Greater Toronto Area.
-What happens if the working spouse is not able to make enough money to pay the bills, and the studying spouse is draining the saved up cash?
- An amazing advantage is that any child you give birth to in Canada becomes a Canadian citizen. You will even get some government benefits on top the pikin head.

In all, I really wish you the best as you mull this decision. Get a lot of information, ask a lot of questions and save a lot of money. But, don't jump into the water with both feet!
Thank u so much, I really appreciate this very insightful. My sis in law is in Vancouver and she stays with her fellow course mates, so we can't even stay with her and from what she suggested Ontario or satsachewan are good province for us. Am an auditor by profession that's why hubby wants me to follow him and work while he enhances his skills. The course he wiLl be going for costs around 15,000 to 20,000dollars for the whole programme, so u are saying we should av additional 20,000dollars for upkeep?. Thank u once again, God bless u

6 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by ttmacoy: 4:47pm On Feb 26, 2015
I wouldn't say there are no jobs in the UK. There are jobs for those with papers and the right experience.

Regarding your dilemma, migrating to Canada (via a legal route) has many benefits, but it may be tough at first until you are settled and really have a foot in the system which may take a couple of years.

Having your baby there will give you an advantage in believe as the child will be a citizen and I believe there are some benefits from the government. You also have free medicals etc.

Given you are pregnant it may makes sense for you to study while he works as your dependent as it may be hard getting a job whilst pregnant especially when you have started showing. This though depends on how attractive his qualifications and experience are.

Given he has a finance background he may have more opportunities in Toronto or ontario area but it's more expensive and there's a lot more competition for jobs there.

Anyway it's all a matter of how much you are willing to risk for a bright future. Good luck though.

Is this your first child?

irridemi:
lol why will I abuse u haba. Thanks for the advise, I don't no much about countries but I heard there are no jobs in U.K. But no knowledge is wasted, u can still help out with U.K information, mayb my hubby can have a change. Thanks I really do appreciate ur comment.

9 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by ttmacoy: 5:01pm On Feb 26, 2015
I had a quick check and according to the below, whilst the baby will have citizenship, it is no advantage to you from a permanent residency perspective. Also you need to consider costs as you may not be eligible for health insurance thought his is dependent on the province you go so do your research. Just food for thought.

"Having a baby in Canada is not a good idea if you're an international student because:
A. If you don't have prov health coverage (or excellent private coverage) it costs $10,000 - I think.
B. Your university will provide updates regarding your academic progress to CIC twice a year. If you take an unscheduled break from your studies to tend to your child or you fall behind you may be asked to leave Canada.
C. The Canadian healthcare system is completely overwhelmed.
D. The child will receive CDN nationality."

ttmacoy:
I wouldn't say there are no jobs in the UK. There are jobs for those with papers and the right experience.

Regarding your dilemma, migrating to Canada (via a legal route) has many benefits, but it may be tough at first until you are settled and really have a foot in the system which may take a couple of years.

Having your baby there will give you an advantage in believe as the child will be a citizen and I believe there are some benefits from the government. You also have free medicals etc.

Given you are pregnant it may makes sense for you to study while he works as your dependent as it may be hard getting a job whilst pregnant especially when you have started showing. This though depends on how attractive his qualifications and experience are.

Given he has a finance background he may have more opportunities in Toronto or ontario area but it's more expensive and there's a lot more competition for jobs there.

Anyway it's all a matter of how much you are willing to risk for a bright future. Good luck though.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 5:05pm On Feb 26, 2015
ttmacoy:

yes this is our first child, and am the auditor (with 7years plus experience) that's why we were thinking of me working while he needs to get higher studies since he has been working for himself for some years now, so the experience he has is "his" while me I can get referral letters, my payslips, and many docs from my employer. Mayb we will look for Satschekwan then. if Ontario is expensive and competitive, school fees will be high then, thank u so much God bless u for the comment

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by RedCapChief(m): 5:11pm On Feb 26, 2015
irridemi:
Thank u so much, I really appreciate this very insightful. My sis in law is in Vancouver and she stays with her fellow course mates, so we can't even stay with her and from what she suggested Ontario or satsachewan are good province for us. Am an auditor by profession that's why hubby wants me to follow him and work while he enhances his skills. The course he wiLl be going for costs around 15,000 to 20,000dollars for the whole programme, so u are saying we should av additional 20,000dollars for upkeep?. Thank u once again, God bless u

Yes Ma'am, you'll need between 15,000 -20,000 CAD on ice after paying the tuition; if you want to make the plunge. You probably will not get a job as an auditor immediately, so you will need a survival job. You need to start NOW to find out how foreign-trained auditors can fit into the Canadian system.

Keep exploring other options and may God bless your hustle.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 5:19pm On Feb 26, 2015
RedCapChief:

Yes Ma'am, you'll need between 15,000 -20,000 CAD on ice after paying the tuition; if you want to make the plunge. You probably will not get a job as an auditor immediately, so you will need a survival job. You need to start NOW to find out how foreign-trained auditors can fit into the Canadian system.

Keep exploring other options and may God bless your hustle.
Thank u so much, I will start my research now and if possible do a course online before we leave if eventually we do. And from time to time I will update this thread, cos nairalanders have been helpful. God bless you real good. But 20,000 cad is plenty money. I know God will bless our hustle and I stay positive, it mite not be rosy initially but with God and hardwork, we'll get there.

16 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by dridowu: 5:20pm On Feb 26, 2015
Don't know what to say cos my international passport is still virgin. So let me park well for those that have been to Canada before, am sure they have 1st hand info for you.

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 5:30pm On Feb 26, 2015
dridowu:
Don't know what to say cos my international passport is still virgin. So let me park well for those that have been to Canada before, am sure they have 1st hand info for you.
lol @ virgin passport, that's the motive for the thread, to learn from experienced people.

5 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by dridowu: 5:35pm On Feb 26, 2015
irridemi:
lol @ virgin passport, that's the motive for the thread, to learn from experienced people.
I only park well to gain experience, so am still on the bench cos sooner or later, this thread will be useful to me also.
God Bless Our Hustle

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 5:39pm On Feb 26, 2015
dridowu:
I only park well to gain experience, so am still on the bench cos sooner or later, this thread will be useful to me also.
God Bless Our Hustle
amen and when u are ready he will order ur steps too.

9 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by ttmacoy: 5:43pm On Feb 26, 2015
Good luck with the baby. Have a 6 month daughter and it's a blessing smiley

You say you are an auditor, do you by any chance work with one of the big 4 firms? If yes then another option may be to transfer to their Canadian practice. While not easy, with the right networks it can happen and you are more secure in that you have a job waiting and they sort your visa etc.

If not then your study route is the more likely option.

As an auditor with 7 years experience and international chattered accountancy qualifications you have a chance of getting a job, but it may not be easy or quick. Takes time.

irridemi:
yes this is our first child, and am the auditor (with 7years plus experience) that's why we were thinking of me working while he needs to get higher studies since he has been working for himself for some years now, so the experience he has is "his" while me I can get referral letters, my payslips, and many docs from my employer. Mayb we will look for Satschekwan then. if Ontario is expensive and competitive, school fees will be high then, thank u so much God bless u for the comment

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Refuse Covers Parts Of Surulere After Heavy Rain In Lagos (Viewers Discretion) / Most Underdeveloped State Capitals In Nigeria / 4 Beautiful Places You Should Visit In Africa In Your Lifetime

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.