Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:24 AM

When The Person Next To You, Has Mouth Odour.. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / When The Person Next To You, Has Mouth Odour.. (721 Views)

How Her "Dry Mouth" Got Her A Husband. (A Story) / Our Ordeal In Sambisa Forest- From The Horse's Mouth / Odour Of Roses Part 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When The Person Next To You, Has Mouth Odour.. by opustjk: 11:29pm On Feb 27, 2015
Here’s the scenario I boarded a flight to abuja from Port harcourt. I somehow made it to my seat after navigating my way through the sea of small bags, protruding stomachs,a pissed off pregnant lady and the opened armpits of people placing stuff in the over head compartments. I hate flying by the way, call it acrophobia,aviophobia, or simply Village-Man-Syndrome .Planes terrify me.Some how, the notion of being inside a large metallic object thousands of feet above the ground isn’t very comforting.
All the Re-assurances of modern Science and Technology haven’t seemed to help either.Planes scare me.Enough said. Anyway there I was on my seat(as far away from the window as possible), dreading the next hour or so.Passengers were still settling in.

On the flipside, I thought to myself, the seat next to me was still vacant which meant there was a possibility (how ever remote) that some attractive young female could end up sitting next to me (it was a long shot I know, but what’s life without hope?)
Anyway, that didn’t happen. The seat next to me was taken by a large Potbellied man that faintly smelled like a room that had been closed for days after a small family of rodents had died inside it. Anyway, 5 minutes into the flight (after my heart rate had come down to a slightly manageable pace and after I’d confessed my sins to Jesus again and again).

I thought of starting up a conversation with Mr Potbelly! He wasn’t a young attractive woman but at least he’d be a much needed distraction from the turbulence of the flight. “Juice sir,? Came the voice of a very pretty female flight attendant. I looked up at her. She had a smile that was like sun light and she had a very nice body. She was pushing one of those weirdly nice looking inflight food trays.
I saw her and wished she were the passenger seated next to me.She was really pretty (sigh).

Anyway,I was still staring at her when the Mr Potbelly spoke into the side of my face. “She’s talking to you” His voice was deeply husky (bear like even), but the foul stench and strangely hot radio-active breath that followed was unbelievable

Tears filled my eyes instantly as if a small canister of tear gas had been unleashed. I felt the temperature on the side of my face rise like a bad fever. His breath smelled like seasoned urine from an alcholic. I didn’t bother looking in his direction (for fear he would open his mouth again).
I quickly smiled at the waitress and said a quick “No thank you,” and promptly kept my face away from Mr Potbelly. Trust me, I was prepared to stay that way for the duration of the flight, than encourage a conversation with him.
“Do you live in Port Harcourt?”Mr Pott belly asked. The man was evil.I thought.The air around my face had barely recovered from the first onslaught and now he was speaking again.How the hell was I suppose to think with that smell inside my head.? I didnt have a breathmint to offer him and couldnt change seats.The flight was full.
“You look like one of my brothers from…..!” Mr Pot belly was saying to me. Sh*t! He was a “Gister”(the type that could hold a conversation all by himself for hours) he’d probably talk for the rest of the flight which meant being subjected to more waves of his sewage-like stench for at least another 40minutes. “…..I have a brother in the House of Assembly…,”
He went on as, more of his stink enveloped me. I promptly beckoned the Pretty Flight attendant, she gave me a coy smile and walked towards me.Desperate times call for desperate measures.So bad was his mouth odor that I’d totally forgotten about my fear of flying.

“Please do you have any mints?”I’m sure my voice sounded desperate but I didn’t care . Still smiling, she reached into a small compartment on the tray and produced a handful of Tom-Toms. I smiled at her in gratitude,unwrapped and popped one into my mouth.
The air around me was foul. “…..He was married to one Bayelsa girl….!” Mr Potbelly was saying.Totally oblivious to the discomfort he was spreading.
Re: When The Person Next To You, Has Mouth Odour.. by opustjk: 11:30pm On Feb 27, 2015
“Would you like some?” I asked politely as I turned to face him.

He had a puffy face with crooked teeth that was a shade darker than brown rice.The skin around his large nose housed a small colony of Pimples that looked liked they could “pop” at any moment. The awful fumes were still oozing from his opened mouth.Facing him took a lot of courage. He smiled at me flashing more dark brown dentition. “No I don’t take such things,……….. They cause mouth odor!” he said, waving my offer away with an ugly grin. And then he kept on talking .
I was in trouble. He talked about the Government, Abortion and some how stuck on the benefits of premarital sex. I silently prayed for this man to fall asleep, the plane to crash, a mild seizure……. anything to get him to shutup.
But Mr Potbelly just went on and on and on, sending out one stink wave after the other like an effective sewage system. An eternity passed.

Thankfully we got to Abuja(after I had lost all sensation on the skin around the side of my face). “…..and that’s why I don’t believe in using a condom……….!” Mr Potbelly was saying. (How he got to this topic, Jehovah only knows) I couldn’t get out of there fast enough . Moral of the story? Dental hygiene is essential .Please brush properly.Or have some mints handy. (A pack of Orbits is just 200 naira) If you can’t, and you are a “GISTER”,then seriously pray that the person sitting next to you(on a bus plane or in church) has very bad catarrh.

Life is a choice my friend
Choose wisely. Enough said

www.opustjkwrites..com
Re: When The Person Next To You, Has Mouth Odour.. by Girltee1(f): 7:15am On Feb 28, 2015
Lol...this is nice grin
Re: When The Person Next To You, Has Mouth Odour.. by krimcake(f): 8:48am On Feb 28, 2015
dat must be severe halistosis... n he was all up in ur face n personal space. rotfl
Re: When The Person Next To You, Has Mouth Odour.. by Mourin(f): 12:46pm On Feb 28, 2015
"i dont take such things.... they cause mouth odour" very funny

(1) (Reply)

'Give Me A Smile' by Akande David / Ancient Sumerian Calendar And The End Of The World On Nov 17-18 / Episode 5: Eke(python); Story By Joy Akosa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.