Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,185 members, 7,780,268 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:36 AM

Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) (27521 Views)

The Average Nigerian Will Make 18% Less In 2015 / Buhari’s Victory Would Have Failed Forensic Analysis – PDP / PDP: 17 States, APC: 16 States, Swing: 4 States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) by kolonigga(m): 5:53am On Feb 28, 2015
The Nigerian political space is heating up ahead of its March general elections. In a race most prominently contested by the ruling PDP and the main opposition party – APC, a local consulting firm has set out to “get a feel of who might possibly win the country’s presidential election.”

The firm, Sterling & Greenback is using an in-house tool they call Brandseeker to conduct a sentiment analysis of discussions around and about the presidential election that is ongoing over the internet.

“[We] developed a windows service that uses Twitter’s API to retrieve tweets related to the Nigerian presidential elections. The algorithm selects only tweets which were generated within the borders of Nigeria,” said S&G’s Obi Igbokwe in an email conversation with TechCabal.

According to Obi, their algorithm is able to discern sarcasm, examine retweets, and look at the whole context to determine the sentiment.

Sentiment analysis has been around for a while, but it’s also received its fair share of criticism. In 2012, USA Today partnered with Twitter analytics platform, Topsy to provide a sentiment score for the race between Barack Obama and Mitt Romney. Marc Smith, a local sociologist notably criticized the exercise, claiming the data was “remarkably poor”. He argued that extracting meaningful information from social network is more complicated than measuring “the noise of the crowd”.

A lot of the online conversation around Nigeria’s elections is happening on Twitter. But, not all of it. BrandSeeker doesn’t analyse data from Facebook and other social networks. This is significant because of the recurring question of whether Twitter conversation is truly representative of the broad conversations on social subjects.

“Most academic papers agree that it is sufficient,” Obi says. “Twitter unlike most of the other, does not require you to ask the permission of users to mine their messages. Facebook does not even allow third parties search status updates of users because of privacy reasons.”

It was revealed in 2014 that Facebook privacy concerns or no, the company is not above using the data from users of the platform for sociological experiments. But the ethics of such activity aside, they would hardly make such information available to agencies like Obi’s.

BrandSeeker also analyses political issues and the sentiment on a state by state basis. Obi thinks this could provide veritable intelligence for party campaign teams. “The data we have have out on the site would probably make more sense to political analysts,” Obi explains, “for instance, if you were in the Buhari camp and your team was going to campaign in Ondo State, the data shows that Health is the most talked about political issue there. It would thus make more sense to focus more on how to improve health services than job creation, which is the number one issue in Anambra.”

The data available on the website http://www.kingmakers.com.ng/ at the time of this writing is interesting enough. If the algorithm is to be believed, the ruling PDP has 1.82% national penetration against the opposition APC’s 15.98%. Another interesting datapoint is that corruption is the most discussed political issue, ahead of security, jobs and economy.
http://techcabal.com/2015/02/23/introducing-twitter-meter-nigerias-presidential-election/

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) by dazzlingd(m): 5:58am On Feb 28, 2015
interesting

finally; Ftc
if I can make it, you can make it too...

I once had no shoes, oh sorry I meant I once never dreamt of making ftc but today history has been made

I hereby dedicate this achievement to #TeamChange
Sai Buhari!!!! Sai The General!!!! Sai The incorruptible!!!

127 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) by quinnboy: 6:06am On Feb 28, 2015
forensic indeed......

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) by Nobody: 6:06am On Feb 28, 2015
Change is what we need
Change is what we seek, and
Change is what we will get God willing!
We are tired of useless power,that oppresses the masses!

293 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) by spott(m): 6:07am On Feb 28, 2015
Upon N21B PDP has.... FKK, Fayose, Reno are just wasting their energy instead they are making Buhari more popular.

APC don't need to be shouting every time, the Nigeria masses are doing the campaign for them.

#CHANGEMUSTCOME
#SAIBUHARI
#SAIOSINBAJO

*modified
APC has the best team ever in Nigeria Elections, GEJ should sack all his clueless social media team asap.... oo I forgot d Oga is clueless too hahaha grin

PDP keep showing us corel drawn/photoshoped so called transformation.

281 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) by Sunnybobo3(m): 6:20am On Feb 28, 2015
spott:
Upon N21B PDP has.... FKK, Fayose, Reno are just wasting their energy instead they are making Buhari more popular.

APC don't need to be shouting every time, the Nigeria masses are doing the campaign for them.

#CHANGEMUSTCOME
#SAIBUHARI
#SAIOSINBAJO

Come March 28, you'll realize that elections are not won on social media.

97 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) by Yukov(m): 6:20am On Feb 28, 2015
Change! Change!! Change!!! that's what we seek and that's what we gonna get. I have decided, Buhari/osinbajo 2015.

158 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) by kolonigga(m): 6:21am On Feb 28, 2015
This happens when you have a great team and a massive support from the ordinary Nigerians.

SAI BUHARI ALL THE WAY

167 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) by spott(m): 6:24am On Feb 28, 2015
Sunnybobo3:

Come March 28, you'll realize that elections are not won on social media.

They deceive yourself u hear. Back in 2011, GEJ/PDP were wining on social media u no talk now u see APC leading u are being ignorant. Things have change

183 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) by maestroferddi: 6:24am On Feb 28, 2015
Elections are won at the grassroots and that is where the PDP are masters of the game.

30 Likes

Re: Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) by kolonigga(m): 6:28am On Feb 28, 2015
maestroferddi:
Elections are won at the grassroots and that is where the PDP are masters of the game.

Stop deceiving and consoling yourself Oga Jare

98 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) by macpetrus(m): 6:28am On Feb 28, 2015
maestroferddi:

Seconded... You can't win election on Twitter!!!

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) by Nobody: 6:31am On Feb 28, 2015
I'm 95% sure Jonathan will Win, and prove to you that your analysis is nothing before our ancestors.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) by Nobody: 6:31am On Feb 28, 2015
Change is Possible
I believe
GMB 2015

95 Likes 2 Shares

I'm 95% sure Jonathan will Win, and prove to you that your analysis is nothing before our ancestors.

7 Likes

Re: Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) by spott(m): 6:33am On Feb 28, 2015
macpetrus:

Seconded... You can't win election on Twitter!!!

Nobody is saying you can win election on Twitter, you can get Nigerians thoughts and opinions on issues with it. So from the analysis I can see there, Nigerians are fed up with PDP/GEJ administration with their photoshop transformations, Nigerians want change simple.

62 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) by Nobody: 6:33am On Feb 28, 2015
At the national level, the wind of change is
blowing, please do not be left behind, join it,
flow with it and own it.
BaBatude Fashola (SAN)

63 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) by maestroferddi: 6:36am On Feb 28, 2015
kolonigga:

Stop deceiving and consoling yourself Oga Jare
You thinking I have the time to argue with teenagers?

10 Likes

Re: Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) by Eggcelent(m): 6:36am On Feb 28, 2015
It is a fact that is easily discernible that APC has been strategic in its use of the social media for electioneering activities long before PDP realised what was happening. That explain in part, the 6 weeks postponement of the elections. The idea was to counter some of APCs gains on this social media. Meanwhile, the most interns aspect of this research is that Nigerians are talking more about insecurity, corruption & unemployment. If that were true, then APC may have the elections won.

50 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) by spott(m): 6:39am On Feb 28, 2015
Eggcelent:
It is a fact that is easily discernible that APC has been strategic in its use of the social media for electioneering activities long before PDP realised what was happening. That explain in part, the 6 weeks postponement of the elections. The idea was to counter some of APCs gains on this social media. Meanwhile, the most interns aspect of this research is that Nigerians are talking more about insecurity, corruption & unemployment. If that were true, then APC may have the elections won.

GBAM!

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) by lyntiffany(f): 6:39am On Feb 28, 2015
twitter ko twitter ni, the market women, the farmers, commercial drivers dey twitter bah?APC I go clear una for eyes for march 28 when Gej go dey win on ground una go dey busy with online pool and pls don't forget to tell jega to buy I-pad to calculate your foolish online pool.
Gej till infinity.

12 Likes

Re: Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) by IVORY2009(m): 6:40am On Feb 28, 2015
Advise to both front runners, i.e. pdp and apc, elections are never won on the internet in Nigeria, if you like score 98% vote via the internet, the day of recorning is coming, when the market women/men, bus conductor, Agbero, Okada rider, the ordinary man on the street, who does not know how to make use the internet will decide your faith, elections are won on the battlefield, most people voting on the online plantform might not even have their PVC, and many here on n/l are based abroad.

7 Likes

Re: Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) by TeamSimple(m): 6:41am On Feb 28, 2015
Sai Buhari..we all know that all things being equal Buhari will defeat Jonathan..But then I remember nothing is equal in Nigeria of now..1 + 1 is now 4.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) by spott(m): 6:44am On Feb 28, 2015
lyntiffany:
twitter ko twitter ni, the market women, the farmers, commercial drivers dey twitter bah?APC I go clear una for eyes for march 28 when Gej go dey win on ground una go dey busy with online pool and pls don't forget to tell jega to buy I-pad to calculate your foolish online pool.
Gej till infinity.

Don't you know it is them that is feeling the heat the more from this clueless government when don't have light, their children looking for jobs, food price has increased, insecurity, strike by unions etc.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) by Nobody: 6:47am On Feb 28, 2015
Forensic analysis indeed.What percentage of Nigerian voters are on Twitter?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) by lyntiffany(f): 6:49am On Feb 28, 2015
Eggcelent:
were you in Japan during obasanjo's tenure? I guess it was free of corruption and much employment. I wonder why some people have decided to turn gej in to a magician. If your jobless is not gej's fault .

7 Likes

Re: Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) by Nobody: 6:49am On Feb 28, 2015
Eggcelent:

Of what use is someone twitting from London when he has no PVC? I bet you over 80% of eligible voters are not on the internet.

Social media has little or no impact on the elections.Take Nairaland for instance with little over1 million monikers out of about 68 million eligible voters with about 10 monikers belonging to one person. Nairaland might actually have less than 500000 members with a good proportion of them outside the shores of Nigeria without PVC.

11 Likes

Re: Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) by medamillion(m): 6:50am On Feb 28, 2015
Illiteracy is not determined by the number of certificates or Phd you have it's about how you can reason fast to solve problems. YES solving problem before election and not when election is around the corner like GEJ is doing.

If an illiterate will provide me security, standard infrastructure, 24 hour power supply, and a corruption-free Nigeria. I would rather stick to that man with no certificate rather than "suffer and smile" under a clueless Phd holder

View this thread to see how Nigerians have been treated under Jonathan https://www.nairaland.com/1983293/photo-speak-events-defined-jonathan as created by a PDP convert on Nairaland

Please, I am adding please; I am not arguing because I know GMB from anywhere, I am arguing because I want a better Nigeria for you and me.

Let's give GMB a chance; if he fail us after 4 years, we shall all gather here to criticise him; we'll keep changing them untill we get it right.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) by Sunnybobo3(m): 6:53am On Feb 28, 2015
spott:

They deceive yourself u hear. Back in 2011, GEJ/PDP were wining with social media u no talk now u see APC leading u are being ignorant. Things have change

This shows you were not politically conscious in 2011

5 Likes

Re: Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) by Nobody: 6:54am On Feb 28, 2015
medamillion:
Illiteracy is not determined by the number of certificates or Phd you have it's about how you can reason fast to solve problems. YES solving problem before election and not when election is around the corner like GEJ is doing.

If an illiterate will provide me security, standard infrastructure, 24 hour power supply, and a corruption-free Nigeria. I would rather stick to that man with no certificate rather than "suffer and smile" under a clueless Phd holder

View this thread to see how Nigerians have been treated under Jonathan https://www.nairaland.com/1983293/photo-speak-events-defined-jonathan as created by a PDP convert on Nairaland

Please, I am adding please; I am not arguing because I know GMB from anywhere, I arguing because I want a better Nigeria.

Let's give GMB a chance; if he fail us after 4 years, we shall all gather here to criticise him; we'll keep changing them untill we get it right.

Did the illiterate even provide up to 12 hours of electricity when he ruled in the 80s even under a military rule? Abeg park well jare

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) by menesheh(m): 6:54am On Feb 28, 2015
Harsh dogs are busy sleeping waiting to lay their havoc while the feeble dogs are busy ranting, South East, South south, North east are busy doing pressup for the final fight to defeat.

Empty vessel makes the loudest noise ever.

PDP supporters will see any topic whether against or in support, just pass it by but desperate APC fan must like, comment and share any post with them or against them with pretty much number of cloned twitter, Facebook, nairaland etc account (one APC e warriors do have upto 100 accounts; unverified)

Those regions high in Internet usage are the list discuss ing issues on twitter while the least regions with low illiteracy level and Internet usage are the people discussing issues on Twitter (south west exceptional)

They try shaa let's watch and see

1 Like 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Heavy Security As Saraki’s Supporters Storm CCT / Man Hails Buhari For Using Cheap Refreshments; "This Is The Change I Voted For" / ''kogi Koya...kogi Ko Bello'' - Senator Dino Melaye Releases A New Music Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.