Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,581 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:45 PM

Why It Is Not Islamic for a Muslim Woman to Change Her Surname After Marriage - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why It Is Not Islamic for a Muslim Woman to Change Her Surname After Marriage (12828 Views)

Can A Muslim Brother Approach A Muslim Lady During The Ramadan Fasting / 10 Things You Should Not Do This Friday If You Are A Muslim / Picture Proof That ISIS Is not Islamic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why It Is Not Islamic for a Muslim Woman to Change Her Surname After Marriage by olaolayink(m): 4:19pm On Mar 06, 2015
i should be d one asking you not to confuse yourself and other people here because if you Google it just like i suggest,you will understand that changing name after marriage has been in existence in Africa before the west show up

maclatunji:

You are confusing yourself. Changing of name by a married woman is not our culture in Africa, it is borrowed from the West.
Re: Why It Is Not Islamic for a Muslim Woman to Change Her Surname After Marriage by maclatunji: 5:00pm On Mar 06, 2015
petitmonde:

to start with,are u sure u've not dropped ur own father's name?
If i ask for ur full name now,i'm sure u will give me tunji as ur first name and ur family name as ur surname.y not change that family name to ur dad's real name(his own first name),and we take it up from there.

Hehehehe, your surname is a part of your name. Our names here are composites.

1 Like

Re: Why It Is Not Islamic for a Muslim Woman to Change Her Surname After Marriage by maclatunji: 5:00pm On Mar 06, 2015
olaolayink:
i should be d one asking you not to confuse yourself and other people here because if you Google it just like i suggest,you will understand that changing name after marriage has been in existence in Africa between the west show up

Nope.

1 Like

Re: Why It Is Not Islamic for a Muslim Woman to Change Her Surname After Marriage by petitmonde(m): 5:16pm On Mar 06, 2015
maclatunji:

Hehehehe, your surname is a part of your name. Our names here are composites.
composite ko,multi-dimensional ni.let's start from you!
Ur name should be tunji ibn kareem or tunji ibn tosin.so u will further explain to me if tunji is a muslim/islamic name.since earlier muslims did not bear yoruba names,does dat also mean bearing tunji is also unislamic?
Put on ur thinkin cap bro.there is culture and there is faith.faqot!
Re: Why It Is Not Islamic for a Muslim Woman to Change Her Surname After Marriage by olamkas: 5:45pm On Mar 06, 2015
My view is that,we need to look into the manner and style in which names are generally constructed and to now see the Islamic standard. what we do is to combine our personal name with the family name which is even not our own father's name.

1 Like

Re: Why It Is Not Islamic for a Muslim Woman to Change Her Surname After Marriage by favouritesahaba: 7:58pm On Mar 06, 2015
Changing name is temporary.

If there is divorce, that is the end she change back to her fathers name or another mans name.

The only permanent name for her is her fathers because this can't change.

It make continuation in the genealogy.

It may have been in existence for long but that does make it the best option.

Prophet's option remain the best.
olaolayink:
jazakallah airan.....i understand what you mean clearly but lemme remind us here that,sometimes culture determine what we do or how to do what we intend doing.....sometimes we use culture to determine punishment for an offence vis a vis......women changing name might not be in Islam and it might also be harram but it's our culture.Africa culture,Nigeria culture.....it's been happening long enough before the western invasion. Google it to confirm. some of our forefathers usually married alot of wives not for anything than to command respect, to show their class and mostly for the pride......so tell me how all dis is possible if those women refuse to change deir name.....culture and religion are 2 different things,that's why you find a Christian man in Nigeria having 2 or more wives. may Allah increase us in knowledge

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why It Is Not Islamic for a Muslim Woman to Change Her Surname After Marriage by Nobody: 10:59pm On Jul 22, 2016
petitmonde:
Please,spread no confusion!
Unchange/Change of name is has NOTHING TO DO WITH ISLAM.it has nothing to do with faith,ibadah,piety,and religion.that a woman changes her last name to her hussie's is a culture issue,neither faith or religion.That does make her someone elese's child.For God sake she wud be a MRS(title showing one is married woman) and not Miss.
BTW,aside marriage issue,how people are being called by their father's name?.we tend to use our family name as last name.does that make one someone else's child too just bcuz one does use family name instead of one's father's first name as last name.
And what has West got to do with ds?

Subhanallah, how can u put culture before religion. It has everytyn to do wif the west, I'm sure if the west today start to use the parents name for d wife, it is ppl like u dat will be their proponents. RasullullAah brought the message from God to the whole of mankind not Arabs, and he married 11 wives and none of dem bore his name, he even married a coptic woman from Egypt(Africa), aw can u talk abt culture wen their is dalil frm the prophet!? Pls seek for knowledge that is beneficial and if u knw nofin, keep silent, it is better for u.

1 Like

Re: Why It Is Not Islamic for a Muslim Woman to Change Her Surname After Marriage by Nobody: 11:02pm On Jul 22, 2016
AKJA:
British civil law takes position of dominance in Nigeria. The law in the Quran is not without context. If a woman does not assume the husband's name after marriage, she will likely face many problems in working environment. This is not aimed at falsifying parentage. Action is judged by Allah according to your intention. Allahu Alam.

So from ur logic, if I have a good intention of drinking alcohol and committing zina is okay ba? It is the right of every muslim to enjoin good and forbid evil. Also there is no problem in the workplace, don't spread falsehood.

1 Like

Re: Why It Is Not Islamic for a Muslim Woman to Change Her Surname After Marriage by Nobody: 11:07pm On Jul 22, 2016
petitmonde:

it still does not change d fact that there is culture and there is faith

So from all ur comments petitmonde, one can. Copy the west by adopting the husbands name, fine. What apuns wen dy get divorced, and she eventually remarries, will she keep changing surnames if she eventually/unfortunately for her she divorces like 4 husbands? See ehn, in Islam, u can't use ur own logic, Islam has bn perfected by Allah thru rasullullaah. Seek knowledge

1 Like

Re: Why It Is Not Islamic for a Muslim Woman to Change Her Surname After Marriage by petitmonde(m): 6:33pm On Jul 23, 2016
RABIUSHILE04:

Subhanallah, how can u put culture before religion. It has everytyn to do wif the west, I'm sure if the west today start to use the parents name for d wife, it is ppl like u dat will be their proponents. RasullullAah brought the message from God to the whole of mankind not Arabs, and he married 11 wives and none of dem bore his name, he even married a coptic woman from Egypt(Africa), aw can u talk abt culture wen their is dalil frm the prophet!? Pls seek for knowledge that is beneficial and if u knw nofin, keep silent, it is better for u.
please,i beg you in God's name,if you don't understand english,please don't quote me.
Also if you cannot reason,don't mention me.
How did i put culture above religion now?.how?
...if they start using parent name,it is people like me that will be their proponent?...
Do you know me?
And you that know it all,turn yourself to a megaphone.
And if I may ask,how 'sunnatic' are you?
Can u just define and describe what sunnah is?
Arabs kept to their maiden name even before the birth of Nabiyy sALLAHUalehiwasalam.
So, what has change/unchange of name got to do with imaan,islam and piety?
And please stop 'shouting' west west west.what do u know about the West?
Do you know that spaniards do not change their surnames after marriage.they keep to their maiden names.that is their culture!
In fact,when a baby is born,the baby has 2 surnames from birth.
Yes.two family names-father's family name and mother's family name.this is also the case in most spanish-speaking countries.

1 Like

Re: Why It Is Not Islamic for a Muslim Woman to Change Her Surname After Marriage by toyoson0(m): 7:33pm On May 03, 2023
The truth of the matter is we all don't bear our father's name but Family names
Re: Why It Is Not Islamic for a Muslim Woman to Change Her Surname After Marriage by Bakrabas: 9:04pm On May 11, 2023
The write up has changed my orientation, if I married no need for my wife to change her family name.

Women are the source of life, I pray for the best among them as wife and daughters

(1) (2) (Reply)

16th Century Ottoman Ad For An Imam Vacancy / Prophetic Ways To Protect Your Children From Evils / What Happens To Our Body And Soul After Our Death?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.