Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,115 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:47 PM

Sickle Cell: Pls What Differs Ss And Sc - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Sickle Cell: Pls What Differs Ss And Sc (712 Views)

'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' / University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell / Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sickle Cell: Pls What Differs Ss And Sc by Haywhy433(m): 6:17pm On Mar 01, 2015
I'v always pondered what could be the difference btw my genotype (SC) to SS.. Please i need doctors in the house pieces of advice on this issue
Re: Sickle Cell: Pls What Differs Ss And Sc by BeeBeeOoh(m): 6:22pm On Mar 01, 2015
I don't think there's any difference, they are just like twins in d same womb which they can't come out at a time..
Re: Sickle Cell: Pls What Differs Ss And Sc by soloxxng: 6:28pm On Mar 01, 2015
They aren't the same... first they are different genes and produces different clinical manifestation.... even though both produces sickling disease ...
Re: Sickle Cell: Pls What Differs Ss And Sc by Nobody: 7:18pm On Mar 01, 2015
It is quite different.

It's a another variant of sickling genotype.

Sickle cell is when the normal glutamate amino acid is replaced by valine in the hemoglobin (red blood cells) during protein synthesis.

Hemoglobin is an oxygen carrier in your red blood cell. It is made up of 2 alpha chains and 2 globin chains.

Amino acids are building blocks for protein. Protein are needed for building cells. Your blood is composed of red blood cells.

SS: both globin chains are replaced by valine - this is full sickling effect.

SC: one chain is normal, the other replaced by a different amino acid lysine. --this is rare and milder sickling effect

The point is that the normal amino acid is replaced by a different one altering the surface membrane and function of red blood cells, blood takes a sickle shape and unable to function properly--> sickle cell disease manifestations.

If you get at least one normal chain, you get less symptoms; which is what AC, SC are.

Hope it helps.

1 Like

Re: Sickle Cell: Pls What Differs Ss And Sc by Haywhy433(m): 9:02pm On Mar 01, 2015
Xiadnat:
It is quite different.

It's a another variant of sickling genotype.

Sickle cell is when the normal glutamate amino acid is replaced by valine in the hemoglobin (red blood cells) during protein synthesis.

Hemoglobin is an oxygen carrier in your red blood cell. It is made up of 2 alpha chains and 2 globin chains.

Amino acids are building blocks for protein. Protein are needed for building cells. Your blood is composed of red blood cells.

SS: both globin chains are replaced by valine - this is full sickling effect.

SC: one chain is normal, the other replaced by a different amino acid lysine. --this is rare and milder sickling effect

The point is that the normal amino acid is replaced by a different one altering the surface membrane and function of red blood cells, blood takes a sickle shape and unable to function properly--> sickle cell disease manifestations.

If you get at least one normal chain, you get less symptoms; which is what AC, SC are.

Hope it helps.
thanx so much, i don't sick too often, buh anytime i engage in any energetic act i begin to feel pains e.g (football, fetching, exercise generally)
Re: Sickle Cell: Pls What Differs Ss And Sc by Nobody: 9:28pm On Mar 01, 2015
Haywhy433:
thanx so much, i don't sick too often, buh anytime i engage in any energetic act i begin to feel pains e.g (football, fetching, exercise generally)

Makes sense. Anytime you engage in energetic activity, you are requiring more oxygen to fuel the activity and give you energy.

This causes more sickled red blood cells to be flowing through your organs causing symptoms. It is quite usual for those with milder cases; sickle pain syndrome; which can lead to pain crisis.

Just stay hydrated with water, and keep yourself healthy with routine immunizations, proper hygiene and the like.

Best.

(1) (Reply)

Where To Buy Enduros Testo Booster? / Disease Worse Than Ebola Infects And Kills People Of Ondo State Nigerians / Perfect Cure: Hypertension, Ulcer And Diabetics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.