Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,186 members, 7,807,629 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:31 PM

Reconstructed Exhaust Muffler, How Safe? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Reconstructed Exhaust Muffler, How Safe? (3169 Views)

Smoke Exhaust From My Car? What Should I Check? / Black Exhaust Smoke In Rx300 / Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reconstructed Exhaust Muffler, How Safe? by Provie(m): 6:17am On Mar 02, 2015
Good mornin house. Can gurus in the house help me out.

A panel beater opened my rear exhaust pot/muffler and we saw that greater part of the perforated tube inside was in shreds.

He now cleared d mess and used an ordinary iron pipe to construct another tube inside the pot; he made holes all over the pipe to look like the damaged one. He welded it back again and neatly patched up the broken exhaust pot.

The car went firing perfectly, with lesser noise (no much noise before the work anyway) and great fuel efficiency.

But my worry is whether there could be some mechanical issues or dangers to this reconstructed internal tube. Should I go for a "new" rear exhaust pot/muffler?
Re: Reconstructed Exhaust Muffler, How Safe? by lonelydora: 7:15am On Mar 02, 2015
As long as there's no check engine light, drive on my brother.
Re: Reconstructed Exhaust Muffler, How Safe? by Provie(m): 7:34am On Mar 02, 2015
lonelydora:
As long as there's no check engine light, drive on my brother.

Ok bro. Stil monitoring that. Thanks
Re: Reconstructed Exhaust Muffler, How Safe? by uboma(m): 8:28am On Mar 02, 2015
@ op, do you have pictures of the construction he made? Share with us if you have...

1 Like

Re: Reconstructed Exhaust Muffler, How Safe? by Provie(m): 11:37am On Mar 02, 2015
uboma:
@ op, do you have pictures of the construction he made? Share with us if you have...

I think I should hav taken d pix b4 he closed up the muffler. As I earlier explained, he cut the pot open and closed it up neatly after d work; as such I can't snap the construction now.

But its just a thick hollow pipe he used heat run holes all over and then weld to the middle of the pot, connecting to the outer channels of the exhaust pipe.
Re: Reconstructed Exhaust Muffler, How Safe? by dicksonadams(m): 10:40pm On Jul 26, 2019
Provie:

A panel beater opened my rear exhaust pot/muffler and we saw that greater part of the perforated tube inside was in shreds.

He now cleared d mess and used an ordinary iron pipe to construct another tube inside the pot; he made holes all over the pipe to look like the damaged one. He welded it back again and neatly patched up the broken exhaust pot.

The car went firing perfectly, with lesser noise (no much noise before the work anyway) and great fuel efficiency.

But my worry is whether there could be some mechanical issues or dangers to this reconstructed internal tube. Should I go for a "new" rear exhaust pot/muffler?

Pleaase how is car still running, a panel beater give me the same condition. Said he can reconstruct my catalyst converter
Re: Reconstructed Exhaust Muffler, How Safe? by Bosun13: 9:01am On Jul 27, 2019
dicksonadams:

Pleaase how is car still running, a panel beater give me the same condition. Said he can reconstruct my catalyst converter
...let me av your number please...i need something like that please...this is mine 08087070062...let's chat
Re: Reconstructed Exhaust Muffler, How Safe? by Bosun13: 9:02am On Jul 27, 2019
Provie:

...i need something like pls let me have your number...this is mine 08087070062
Re: Reconstructed Exhaust Muffler, How Safe? by diportivo: 11:13am On Jul 27, 2019
which part of rear exhaust muffler ain't u guys seeing??

or

do y'all have ur catalytic converters at the back of your exhausts??

if ur catalyst is bad and u want to replace, go ladipo go buy......lest they put wire inside ur pot for u
Re: Reconstructed Exhaust Muffler, How Safe? by OgaKazeem(m): 12:04pm On Jul 27, 2019
Provie:

u shldnt have a problem. as long as it doesnt get clogged up and blocked. the rear pot is basically constructed in a way that the movement of exhaust gases out tru d pipe and insyd d pot will cancel out eachother and what you'll have is more quiet exhaust. na why we dey call am "silencer" na....
that is why U also hear some ppl talk abt straight pipe exhaust and these ones r much more "noisy" like the sport cars...

but OP u for do straight pipe make we see weda d motor go sound like Ferrari na

2 Likes

Re: Reconstructed Exhaust Muffler, How Safe? by Provie(m): 1:41pm On Jul 27, 2019
dicksonadams:

It's the rear pot bros. The catalytic converter is usually on the second (smaller) pot at the anterior. Dat was several years ago, yet the car has been running fine still.

I doubt if they reconstruct the catalyst. They just remove it and stuff the pot or leave it like dat, and the car will sound more hollow. If ur car has no issues, don't allow them to touch ur catalyst.
Re: Reconstructed Exhaust Muffler, How Safe? by Provie(m): 1:46pm On Jul 27, 2019
OgaKazeem:

u shldnt have a problem. as long as it doesnt get clogged up and blocked. the rear pot is basically constructed in a way that the movement of exhaust gases out tru d pipe and insyd d pot will cancel out eachother and what you'll have is more quiet exhaust. na why we dey call am "silencer" na....
that is why U also hear some ppl talk abt straight pipe exhaust and these ones r much more "noisy" like the sport cars...

but OP u for do straight pipe make we see weda d motor go sound like Ferrari na

You are right.
Lolz @ straight pipe. I hope you don't mean the one they removed the catalyst. Cos it sounds like dat, and runs faster. I'm not a car expert though, but that is what I noticed.
Re: Reconstructed Exhaust Muffler, How Safe? by Provie(m): 1:57pm On Jul 27, 2019
diportivo:
which part of rear exhaust muffler ain't u guys seeing??

or

do y'all have ur catalytic converters at the back of your exhausts??

if ur catalyst is bad and u want to replace, go ladipo go buy......lest they put wire inside ur pot for u

Lolz, you are correct.
Re: Reconstructed Exhaust Muffler, How Safe? by OgaKazeem(m): 4:17pm On Jul 27, 2019
Provie:

You are right.
Lolz @ straight pipe. I hope you don't mean the one they removed the catalyst. Cos it sounds like dat, and runs faster. I'm not a car expert though, but that is what I noticed.
exactly. depends sha cuz different designs dey bt most the cat will be straight piped

(1) (Reply)

Needs Toyota Sienna Or Picnic For Transportation Business / If 500 Per Litre Has Come To Stay Then I Can't Afford To Drive A Normal Car / Golden Or Flying Cars which do you prefer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.