Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,662 members, 7,801,914 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:44 AM

Office Implants Employees With Microchips! - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Office Implants Employees With Microchips! (1183 Views)

New Tech Makes Brain Implants Safer And Super Precise / 11 Types Of Employees You Meet At A Tech Company / Companies Begin Planting Microchips Under Employees’ Skin photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Office Implants Employees With Microchips! by Feraz(m): 5:04pm On Mar 02, 2015

Workers at companies based in the Swedish tech business incubator Epicentre are having microchips implanted into their hands.

Up to 400 members of Stockholm's Epicenter will be able to have the highly controversial radio-frequency identification (RFID) chips inserted into their bodies.

The chips, which are the size of a grain of rice, store personalised security information, similar way to an office security pass or a chip-and-pin credit card. They enable people to open doors and operate photocopiers – and in the future make payments – with a wave of their hand.

"We already interact with technology all the time," said Hannes Sjoblad, who is in charge of implanting the chips and has an implant containing his business card details. "Today it's a bit messy: we need pin codes and passwords. Wouldn't it be easy to just touch with your hand? That's really intuitive.

"We want to be able to understand this technology before big corporates and big government come to us and say everyone should get chipped – the tax authority chip, the Google or Facebook chip."

RFID chips have already provoked controversy in the US following rumours President Obama's regime would require every US citizen to have one implanted, as part of health care reforms.

BBC technology correspondent Rory Cellan-Jones raised doubts of the wider social acceptability of RFID implants after having one of the chips inserted while visiting Epicenter.

"All sorts of things are possible," he wrote. "Whether it becomes culturally acceptable to insert technology beneath our skin is another matter."

But Sjoblad, a chief disruption officer at the Swedish biohacking group BioNyfiken, believes the use of RFIDs is just the beginning.

"I believe we have just started discovering the things we can do with this. There is huge potential for life-logging. With the fitness-tracking wearables at the moment, you have to type in what you are eating or where you are going," he said. "Instead of typing data into my phone, when I put it down and tap it with my implant it will know I am going to bed.

"Imagine sensors around a gym that recognises, for instance, who is holding a dumbbell via the tag in your hand. There is an ongoing explosion in the Internet of Things. The sensors will be around for me to be able to register my activity in relation to them."

Ben Slater, an advertising director from Australia, had a near-field communication (NFC) microchip injected into his hand just before the launch of the iPhone 6.

He hoped the popular Apple product would extend the capabilities of his implant, which allows him to open his front door, switch on lights and store personal data.

In 2007, The American Medical Association (AMA) established a code of ethics to protect patients' receiving RFID implants, following an evaluation by the AMA's council on Ethical and Judicial Affairs (CEJA) which discussed ethical issues relating to using RFID implants for medical purposes.

The report entitled Radio Frequency ID Devices in Humans acknowledge RFID chips use in health care represent "another promising development in information technology" that "raises important ethical, legal and social issues".

Source

More source

Want to gain entry to your office, get on a bus, or perhaps buy a sandwich? We're all getting used to swiping a card to do all these things. But at Epicenter, a new hi-tech office block in Sweden, they are trying a different approach - a chip under the skin.

Felicio de Costa, whose company is one of the tenants, arrives at the front door and holds his hand against it to gain entry. Inside he does the same thing to get into the office space he rents, and he can also wave his hand to operate the photocopier.

That's all because he has a tiny RFID (radio-frequency identification) chip, about the size of a grain of rice, implanted in his hand. Soon, others among the 700 people expected to occupy the complex will also be offered the chance to be chipped. Along with access to doors and photocopiers, they're promised further services in the longer run, including the ability to pay in the cafe with a touch of a hand.

On the day of the building's official opening, the developer's chief executive was, himself, chipped live on stage. And I decided that if was to get to grips with this technology, I had to bite the bullet - and get chipped too.

The whole process is being organised by a Swedish bio-hacking group which was profiled by my colleague Jane Wakefield recently. One of its members, a rather fearsome looking tattooist, inserted my chip.

First, he massaged the skin between my thumb and index finger and rubbed in some disinfectant. The he told me to take a deep breath while he inserted the chip. There was a moment of pain - not much worse than any injection - and then he stuck a plaster over my hand.

Before trying my chip out, I wanted to know more about the thinking behind it. Hannes Sjoblad, whose electronic business card is on his own chip and can be accessed with a swipe of a smartphone, has the title chief disruption officer at the development. I asked him whether people really wanted to get this intimate with technology.

"We already interact with technology all the time," he told me. "Today it's a bit messy - we need pin codes and passwords. Wouldn't it be easy to just touch with your hand? That's really intuitive."

When I tested my chip, I found that it was not all that intuitive - I had to twist my hand into an unnatural position to make the photocopier work. And while some of the people around the building were looking forward to being chipped, others were distinctly dubious. "Absolutely not," said one young man when I asked him if he'd sign up. An older woman was more positive about the potential of the technology but saw little point in being chipped just to get through a door.

But Hannes Sjoblad says he and the Swedish Biohacking Group have another objective - preparing us all for the day when others want to chip us. "We want to be able to understand this technology before big corporates and big government come to us and say everyone should get chipped - the tax authority chip, the Google or Facebook chip." Then, he says, we'll all be able to question the way the technology is implemented from a position of much greater knowledge.

I've returned to Britain with a slightly sore hand - and a chip still under my skin which has my contact details on it. Not that useful, but no doubt more sophisticated chips will soon replace wearable technology like fitness bands or payment devices, and we will get used to being augmented. All sorts of things are possible - whether it becomes culturally acceptable to insert technology beneath our skin is another matter.
Source
Re: Office Implants Employees With Microchips! by kemiola89(f): 8:43pm On Mar 02, 2015
Don't think i'd allow the so called chip to be implanted under my skin. Though it woulda been more preferable if was in a form of wearable handband so one could easily pull the 'stalker handband' off after work hour. Call me old fashioned I'm just not thrilled about these whole new technology advancement thing.
Re: Office Implants Employees With Microchips! by Feraz(m): 10:37pm On Mar 02, 2015
kemiola89:
Don't think i'd allow the so called chip to be implanted under my skin. Though it woulda been more preferable if was in a form of wearable handband so one could easily pull the 'stalker handband' off after work hour. Call me old fashioned I'm just not thrilled about these whole new technology advancement thing.
LOL!!! Your religious inclination perhaps?!
Re: Office Implants Employees With Microchips! by Abithel: 11:42pm On Mar 02, 2015
Feraz:
LOL!!! Your religious inclination perhaps?!

Whateva!
Re: Office Implants Employees With Microchips! by Feraz(m): 12:01am On Mar 03, 2015
Abithel:

Whateva!

Hope you didn't feel insulted by the reply above?
Re: Office Implants Employees With Microchips! by thunderrider: 12:06am On Mar 03, 2015
HMMM

(1) (Reply)

How To Illuminate A Dark Room In Case Of An Emergency / A Slow Loris Killed In My Hometown Last Night (pics) / Diy Micro Mini Paper Plane

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.