Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,346 members, 7,780,923 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 05:34 AM

Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In (34579 Views)

The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? / Lagos The Beautiful (Pics) / South-Africa: The Worst Place To Live? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by elphem(m): 8:43pm On Nov 02, 2005
@ senato., u talk true. People should have better understanding of other cities which are even worse than Lagos
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by elphem(m): 8:44pm On Nov 02, 2005
@ senato., u talk true. People should have better understanding of other cities which are even worse than Lagos
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by Teq: 6:09pm On Nov 05, 2005
Haven't seen the report so I don't know what they said about Lagos. But keep in mind that they probably has set categories such as infrastructure, safety, commute time etc. Having lived in Lagos I know it can be an extremely frustrating place. Obviously the longer you live there the easier it bcomes as you settle into your routines.

Reports rating cities should definitley give their criteria for rating. This will help to evaluate the rating so you can judge how it effects any decisions you are making about going there. Otherwise what was the point of making the comparison.

Don't blame anyone for being upset with being rated low. Lagos is definely a vibrant, interesting place. It also has many problems. In the end see if the rating assissts you in making any decisions based on the factual information it gives and disregard the propoganda, you never know who has sponsored the rating.
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by natasha: 8:27pm On Nov 18, 2005
Chei, pot calling kettle black, tufiakwa.
Vancouver Island might be a nice, romantic place and good for relaxation. But I think in terms of insecurity, hygiene, spending hours travelling 2 and from work, Lagos is no different from the so called BBC's homeland (Britain) capital, London.
London is shit, it's full of crime, there's so much gun crime there, it's a dirty place and highly insecure. I'll advise BBC to stop politicking, and face reality. A British MP once said Britain should be and archaic country.
As far as i am concerned, Lagos, the former capital of the Giant of Africa, my beloveth Country, Nigeria is a 1001% better than BBC's headquarter base which of course is London.
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by sage(m): 1:09am On Nov 19, 2005
natasha:

Chei, pot calling kettle black, tufiakwa.
Vancouver Island might be a nice, romantic place and good for relaxation. But I think in terms of insecurity, hygiene, spending hours travelling 2 and from work, Lagos is no different from the so called BBC's homeland (Britain) capital, London.
London is rubbish, it's full of crime, there's so much gun crime there, it's a dirty place and highly insecure. I'll advise BBC to stop politicking, and face reality. A British MP once said Britain should be and archaic country.
As far as i am concerned, Lagos, the former capital of the Giant of Africa, my beloveth Country, Nigeria is a 1001% better than BBC's headquarter base which of course is London.

Comments like these are just sentimental. Crime control, level of dirtiness..................., whatever u cannot compare naija with the west. Ive lived in lagos and ive lived in The west (in fact i am living there now) so i know the diffrence, only somebody who has not lived in naija does not know or the other way round
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by lauryn(f): 1:07pm On Dec 01, 2005
undecided
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by loveth(f): 3:44pm On Dec 01, 2005
lipsrsealed
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by lauryn(f): 4:06pm On Dec 01, 2005
if britain is such a nice place to live in how come they r gettn bombed, they dont talk about their own. they are the ones havin problems with TERRORISM not us. d nerves of them angry
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by omon(m): 4:08pm On Dec 01, 2005
Tell me where racism and racist murder still take place...London of course. It is as dangerous as lagos
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by prettyH(f): 5:38pm On Dec 01, 2005
omon:

Tell me where racism and racist murder still take place...London of course. It is as dangerous as lagos

Agree wiv you on dat.
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by loveth(f): 7:03pm On Dec 01, 2005
Lagos is good ,abeg.
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by madam: 10:18am On Dec 07, 2005
grin
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by seeni4ever(m): 4:07pm On Dec 12, 2005
most of this reports are just to downgrade africa by the so called westerners. if you say lagos is fifth worst, where do u put most of these cities in middleeast that is full of terrorists. i don't know what they put their reasons on but i know whatever it is, it is bullshit. lagos is like other cities in the world. price georges's county in maryland this year has recorded over 150 homicides. there are other worst cities in the world they need to check out. stop downgrading africa. it is enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by madam: 4:01pm On Dec 13, 2005
I support
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by Hotstepper(f): 4:05am On Dec 15, 2005
right 4rom time, i neva liked lagos though not cuz of anything but cuz i ain't just feeling it. itz 2 croweded..i like places like ph and enugu but diz western world ppl sef..we don tire 4 dem.. HABA..lagos is beta dan lotz of dem small cities sef like detriot in america..even ny is rubbish..london is crap and da list goes on..no mind dem..only 2 come 4 oil dat they like..nonsense..enough said
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by jclord(f): 10:30pm On Jan 25, 2006
I don't know what Lagos is really like because I have never been there. As a black person living in America I know we as a group worldwide do not do enough public relations to promote ourselves. Even in America The black community is robbed by this kind of negative press on a daily basis.

As a people, Oprah is our best international sales person but she is not enough. We have so many black organizations and so called "black community leaders" but they have not figured out the power and value of public relations for our community.

Maybe some day that will change. I hope God will inspire some one to do that for us. Nigeria should consider aggressively promote its best qualities so that people will not have negative images dominating their mind when they think of Nigeria. That is what cities and countries do in the international press.

How about having a section on your website promoting Nigeria!?
Include pictures and success stories from people who have improved their live and made great contributions to you country.

I worked in publishing so I know from experience. This is a good market for a Nigerian Public Relation firm.
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by dblock(m): 1:10pm On Jan 26, 2006
Lagos does kind of suck. But one of my uncles men that guy, just won't bow down to poverty he shipped all his stuff from America. Bought a stand buy generator put in maximum security. When I was in his house I thought I was in Us. Lagos stinks for the poor stinks for the average stinks for the slightly richer than average, but is okay for the really wealthy. Butta I'd rather live in Ibadan
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by Kokscity(m): 7:03pm On Jan 26, 2006
@TOPIC

I would say Lagos is the worst city in the World to Live.I Lived there for five years on the Island, and Mainland and the place is a complete dump. We do not need the BBC to tell us what we already know. Lagos smells to high heavens, No priority on the Environment, The city lacks planning,Transportation is a mess and crime (OH MY GOD). Would not live there even if i was staying @ the meridian.The Place is a $hit hole!!!
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by Hero(m): 1:00pm On Feb 07, 2006
# 5??  It's worst than:

Iraq,

Afghanistan,

Liberia,

Central African Rep.,

Niger,

Mali,

Haiti,

Rwanda,

Burundi

DR of Congo

Sudan

Ivory Coast

Chad

Mauritania

Somalia

cheesy grin YEAH RIGHT!!

I can go on and on with this. That report is more western propaganda to discourage the African giant from rising once again, and further more indulge in their favorite past time of negatively propagandizing the black race. Nothing new here to see folks; keep it moving.  cheesy
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by jclord(f): 1:26am On Feb 08, 2006
@obong,

I am Jamaican, I will be the first to tell you Jamaica is , DANGEROUS!!!!!

We don't get any press coverage unless there is a hurricane. The only reason why the hurricanes are covered is because there are more Jamaicans living in Brooklyn, NY alone and the US in general than live in Jamaica.

Jamaica is beautiful, I have great memories of it. But, the only positive press Jamaica gets is from the tens of milliions of $$ they spend bombarding Americans with advertising. I wish it was a nice place worthy of good press. If it was I would be living there.

The same armed robbery of homes that have been mentioned about Lagos in this forum happens in Jamaica too. In Jamaica, windows porches and doors of very beautiful homes must have iron bars for protection. It is sad.
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by jclord(f): 1:48am On Feb 08, 2006
Most West Indians, and Africans that you meet are very hard working people. They are the only people I have met who work 2 or 3 jobs .

But our government leaders SUCK BIG TIME!! I don't know what they are doing with the fruits of our labor.

Look at India with all their crazy corruption, crime and overwhelming poverty how come they get all the outsourcing and international investment . It makes no sense to me. After 500 years of slavery and colonialism, english is a native spoken language in most black counties. It seems we should have a good shot at these economic opportunities. Maybe it all comes back to the fact that,our government leaders SUCK BIG TIME!!

As black people, we need to find a way individually to take advantage of the global market place and change our reputation one person at a time.
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by Hero(m): 3:49am On Feb 24, 2006
Baghdad is the worst. But I ask; which are the 4 cities that were rated worst than Lagos. Hopefully Calcutta, India was one of them, cause that place is a mess. Waaaaay worst than Lagos in IMO. undecided
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by Shani(f): 5:03am On Mar 03, 2006
So, in order to renounce what the West is brainwashing the rest of the world to think. What do you love most about Lagos? What is there to do? How easy is it for an outsider (I don't like the word foreigner smiley ) to find a job?
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by micklplus(m): 11:08am On Mar 09, 2006
Shani:

So, in order to renounce what the West is brainwashing the rest of the world to think. What do you love most about Lagos? What is there to do? How easy is it for an outsider (I don't like the word foreigner smiley ) to find a job?

before i make my comment. i will have to remind us all once again that these people has never meant well for us, we should discard and dissuade whatever things they have to say about us.
Lagos definately is not the best but it cant be that bad compared to other cities(in the same class) of the world. i have been in lagos for abt 30yrs(all my life) and i am still hale and hearty ! i can go to anywhere i like at anytime with or without a car and nothing , i mean nothing can and will happen to me !lagos is fun and sweet ! like one guy rightly said above, the longer you stay in lagos the better for you. just like in england, U.S e.t.c its about adaptation !

i love the fun about lagos. i love the fact that, you cant afford to be lazy. you just must be a survivor in all things and at any point in time. Lagos drills and train you. And if you can live in lagos then, you can live in anywhere in the world ! isnt that sweet and Good ?

so many things to fix by our government which will improve and make our life definately better.

Outsider that has what it takes definately will find lagos cool and profitable. cos it will be so easy to get jobs and pulls as well as contracts. we could be hospitable even to a fault. the outsider just must have the right tools and right machineries then, all will fall into place

cheers cheesy
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by SIBLI06(m): 1:12pm On Mar 09, 2006
Again the winging continues, sad sad, why do westerners do that and this!! They are always trying to spoil our countries image, blah blah blah!! Open your eyes!! What is so nice about Lagos? How long did it take you to get to work today, how long is it since you worked, did you have a electrical supply for the last 24hrs, when was the last time you witnessed a crime or street violence? How many day's during your schooling were the teaches on strike or absent from school? Is your street clean?

Have you ever read newspapers from across the globe? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed When was the last time you read about a 12 year old boy being set ablaze in a UK paper? Nigerian news papers are so depressing to read, with so many violence / killing and rape related stories that are plastered across every newspaper. Is Nigeria really a nice a place to live?? (Why am I here you ask, I specialize in safety so my work brings me here, in addition God blessed me with the most beautiful wife from Kwara State.

Why don't Lagosians make Lagos better. What do you want other continents to write about? Can you honestly give me one example of what the world should know about Nigeria, something positive? I have not read the BBC article fully but , has anybody emailed SKY to find out more about the league table or to disagree with their findings?? Is OBJ complaining that the world press are giving the wrong impression of Nigeria? If your tired of the way the Nigeria is portrayed by others why not promote it yourself. Send a email to news@sky.com! try it you might be supprised.

Sorry if the post seems harsh but complaining about an issue rarely changes it. Respect!
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by omon(m): 4:15pm On Mar 09, 2006
Hello Brit, don't even go there! no day passes without one murder or rape of some kind being reported in the london 'Metro newspaper'. So get your facts right. The British media reports toned down violence that goes on around the UK. My house in the centre of london has been bugled three times already in the last 9 months.
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by SIBLI06(m): 1:21pm On Mar 13, 2006
Well that's sad to here. Maybe you should think about moving to a better area. My beliefs remain!!!!!
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by Kokscity(m): 9:05pm On Mar 13, 2006
@ Sibli

Have you noticed how all these people defending Nigeria, all leave somewhere else? The facts are the facts, Lagos is a dump, Nigeria is absolutely on the brink,the economy is @ the mercy of Oil and nearly 100milion people live in abject poverty. Even the Lekki's,Victoria Island's and Aja's are still hopeless. There is no uniformity, big ugly houses without roads,water or electricity. People are building castles not communities. Please people face facts, what the hell is in Lagos to defend? Overrated Expensive Dirty City!

Kokscity
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by SIBLI06(m): 12:04pm On Mar 14, 2006
@ Kokscity
Unfortunately I have to agree with you that Lagos is a dump. In my eye's Nigeria has come along way though since 1998 (My arrival in Nigeria), the roads are getting better, the government is trying to clean the country up, it still has a long way to go but it is definitely moving in the right direction. Tinabu has done a good job for Lagos let's hope his successor comes from the same school!!
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by Hunter(m): 7:35am On Mar 16, 2006
It's a survey based on different criteria, the criteria just happen to be based on things that Nigeria isn't the best at.
Things like Roads, Medical etc.

I'm sure it would be a different story if it was a culture survey or something like that.

If the number one goal of that survey was to talk down other societies, don't you think they would of ranked a UK city a bit better?
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by SIBLI06(m): 4:08pm On Mar 16, 2006
Good post hunter!!!  smiley
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by omogenaija(f): 7:55pm On Mar 26, 2006
hmmmmmmm

i was just wondering since i dont live in nigeria,

are ya'll talking about lagos state or the city ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Accident Along Benin-Asaba Expressway In Igbodo, Delta Kills 4 (Graphic Pics) / The New Lagos State Traffic Laws And Penalties / Another Set of BRT Buses Collide In Ikorodu, Passengers Injured (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.