Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,964 members, 7,806,788 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:13 AM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 - Travel (189) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (891475 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (186) (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) ... (333) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by bisilola: 1:39pm On Jul 18, 2015
xyzabcuo:
Please house who has returned from U.S. with two infants oh.. is that possible? I read somewhere on delta airline website that an adult can take two Infants (one lap child and another a seat has to be purchased). I called the office in Lagos just to double check and the call agent said it's not allowed. Kindly advise my people. It's stressful but what if that's the only option one has under a short notice?
Thanks

Airline rule is you must pay child's fare for one so she can get a seat.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Jibbie2015: 2:05pm On Jul 18, 2015
xyzabcuo:
Please house who has returned from U.S. with two infants oh.. is that possible? I read somewhere on delta airline website that an adult can take two Infants (one lap child and another a seat has to be purchased). I called the office in Lagos just to double check and the call agent said it's not allowed. Kindly advise my people. It's stressful but what if that's the only option one has under a short notice?
Thanks

Hi @xyzabcuo, my friend returned recently from the us wit 2 infants b4. 2yrs and1 yr old. i dnt knw which airline tho. Btw, i believe yu reapplied to the embassy after yu initilal application. Do u mind sharing hw it eventually went with the vo. did yu also still use mihs? thnks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by yuddiepro: 5:51pm On Jul 18, 2015
Beautiful mothers in d house

Please someone should help out. Does anyone have info on an hospital in Michigan or san Jose California that is affordable.

Please I need ur help oo
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by blackedwin: 6:06pm On Jul 18, 2015
which POE
hastee:
Hello house! In the spirit of giving back, let me share my POE experience. I bought my ticket at emirates office to chicago but upon reading many poe scary stories i decided to reroute to newyork-chicago despite having all the right documentation, i was trying to avoid any form of delay and stress because i travelled with hubby and my 2 yrs old toddler. This costed about a 100k plus naira for d change and rerouting but i felt it was still better than taking risk. Got to the airport, fit to fly was requested for, i am 34weeks but my doctor wrote 32weeks which i think was best for me to avoid unnecessary questioning. Trip was very stressful (long hours flight plus a cranky toddler). I placed an order for a wheelchair service. I didnt use it at d nigerian airport. On getting to dubai, i requested for a wheelchair but the guy i asked said i wasnt entitled to a wheelchair (that they dont give wheelchair services to pregnant women as the airline might think i am not fit to fly). I felt upset cos i was tired. Boarded from dubai to newyork. On arriving newyork i requested for a wheelchair and they were so glad to give me one. The wheelchair pusher was awesome, he made everything so easy for us. Toddler was on my lap all through. With the wheelchair we were given preference over others. We didnt need to join the very long queue. CBP officer: hi
Me: hi
CBP: wat are u here for
Me: childbirth and vacation
CBP: good. How long are u here
Me:2months
CBP: Anything to declare
Hubby: 8000 dollars (though we had 12k dollars cash and the rest in the account but hubby said he didnt want them to stress us over amount exceeding 10k dollars that was why he said we had 8k dollars)
CBP: ok thats fine. Do u have food stuff
Me: yes we do
CBP stamped us in for 6 months and sent us to agriculture.
He didnt ask for doctors corresponces, letter of change of intent and all burden of proof we had with us.
we got our bags and got to agric.
Agric: wat do u have
Me: nigerian food, egusi, ogbono (meanwhile we had alottttt of food items, egusi ,ogbono, dried fish, stock fish ,wara (fried cheese), garri ,groundnut, crayfish, kulikuli ,dried pap, dried pepper, kilish ,fried snail ,elubo for amala ,chicken maggi, onion indomie, milo, milk cereal for toddler ,custard ) i needed to bring all of these for my host to make dem happy.
so the agric guy transfered us to the screening section. My heart was pounding already. As God would have it the screening guys asked wat we had in our bags(5 checked in bags and 2 hand luggages) I said egusi ogbono. As i was trying to call other names he asked, do u have yam, fruits, i said no. He just said u can go. No screening whatsoever took place. We were super glad. And that was it. I was still on the wheelchair all through. The wheelchair pusher got a cab for us to our hotel room cos we decided to spend the night in newyork. The guy was super awesome, hubby gave him a tip of 20dollars. Left for chicago yest via jetblue. Everything went easy. Got a wheelchair service too, avoided those very long queues. Arrived chicago, got our bags and waited for uncles arrival for pick up.

In all it was a great experience. JFK remains the best. All thanks to God and this forum. I got all information here. U guys are really really wonderful. Getting set for doctors 1st appointment on monday.
Will update as events unfolds. BTW chicagos weather is fantastic!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by modath(f): 6:08pm On Jul 18, 2015
blackedwin:
which POE

JFK in New Chicago. lipsrsealed

5 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by blackedwin: 6:27pm On Jul 18, 2015
Hello great house,
I contacted West Houston Medical center in Houston Texas.I have made full payment($5800) for hospital and doctor's fee,the hospital and doctor has forwarded to me payment receipt and a cover letter.Would anyone advice i travel via Houston POE my wife is 34weeks

Regards
Edwin

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by nefertitiram: 6:33pm On Jul 18, 2015
modath:

JFK in New Chicago. lipsrsealed

Another saturday on NL! *rotfl*

5 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by FinanceFitness: 7:05pm On Jul 18, 2015
New York.

blackedwin:
which POE
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by FinanceFitness: 7:08pm On Jul 18, 2015
Depends - did you declare your intentions at the embassy?

Is your wife confident and bold enough to handle them?

blackedwin:
Hello great house,
I contacted West Houston Medical center in Houston Texas.I have made full payment($5800) for hospital and doctor's fee,the hospital and doctor has forwarded to me payment receipt and a cover letter.Would anyone advice i travel via Houston POE my wife is 34weeks

Regards
Edwin

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by blackedwin: 7:12pm On Jul 18, 2015
we did a drop box and I am travelling with her
FinanceFitness:
Depends - did you declare your intentions at the embassy?

Is your wife confident and bold enough to handle them?

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Amother4life: 7:12pm On Jul 18, 2015
hastee:
Hello house! In the spirit of giving back, let me share my POE experience. I bought my ticket at emirates office to chicago but upon reading many poe scary stories i decided to reroute to newyork-chicago despite having all the right documentation, i was trying to avoid any form of delay and stress because i travelled with hubby and my 2 yrs old toddler. This costed about a 100k plus naira for d change and rerouting but i felt it was still better than taking risk. Got to the airport, fit to fly was requested for, i am 34weeks but my doctor wrote 32weeks which i think was best for me to avoid unnecessary questioning. Trip was very stressful (long hours flight plus a cranky toddler). I placed an order for a wheelchair service. I didnt use it at d nigerian airport. On getting to dubai, i requested for a wheelchair but the guy i asked said i wasnt entitled to a wheelchair (that they dont give wheelchair services to pregnant women as the airline might think i am not fit to fly). I felt upset cos i was tired. Boarded from dubai to newyork. On arriving newyork i requested for a wheelchair and they were so glad to give me one. The wheelchair pusher was awesome, he made everything so easy for us. Toddler was on my lap all through. With the wheelchair we were given preference over others. We didnt need to join the very long queue. CBP officer: hi
Me: hi
CBP: wat are u here for
Me: childbirth and vacation
CBP: good. How long are u here
Me:2months
CBP: Anything to declare
Hubby: 8000 dollars (though we had 12k dollars cash and the rest in the account but hubby said he didnt want them to stress us over amount exceeding 10k dollars that was why he said we had 8k dollars)
CBP: ok thats fine. Do u have food stuff
Me: yes we do
CBP stamped us in for 6 months and sent us to agriculture.
He didnt ask for doctors corresponces, letter of change of intent and all burden of proof we had with us.
we got our bags and got to agric.
Agric: wat do u have
Me: nigerian food, egusi, ogbono (meanwhile we had alottttt of food items, egusi ,ogbono, dried fish, stock fish ,wara (fried cheese), garri ,groundnut, crayfish, kulikuli ,dried pap, dried pepper, kilish ,fried snail ,elubo for amala ,chicken maggi, onion indomie, milo, milk cereal for toddler ,custard ) i needed to bring all of these for my host to make dem happy.
so the agric guy transfered us to the screening section. My heart was pounding already. As God would have it the screening guys asked wat we had in our bags(5 checked in bags and 2 hand luggages) I said egusi ogbono. As i was trying to call other names he asked, do u have yam, fruits, i said no. He just said u can go. No screening whatsoever took place. We were super glad. And that was it. I was still on the wheelchair all through. The wheelchair pusher got a cab for us to our hotel room cos we decided to spend the night in newyork. The guy was super awesome, hubby gave him a tip of 20dollars. Left for chicago yest via jetblue. Everything went easy. Got a wheelchair service too, avoided those very long queues. Arrived chicago, got our bags and waited for uncles arrival for pick up.

In all it was a great experience. JFK remains the best. All thanks to God and this forum. I got all information here. U guys are really really wonderful. Getting set for doctors 1st appointment on monday.
Will update as events unfolds. BTW chicagos weather is fantastic!

The money is yours why lie about the amount? Why take such an unnecessary risk? The law allows CBP to seize funds not properly declared . Thank Your stars your were not searched because it would have gone downhill very fast.

7 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Amother4life: 7:24pm On Jul 18, 2015
tk8681:
Hello Nairaland,I have been a silent follower for a while and decided to join after our visa interview in Lagos. I must commend everyone on this forum,in fact everyone is wonderful. Hubby,son and I applied for visa on 20th of May '15 but were denied,we felt we had a fault cos we were waiting for the visa officer to ask of each document before presenting it but we took courage and went back 2wks after (thks to phema burden of proof) thank God we were issued. NB:this time we were the one presenting all documents to visa officer. Son and I don't have travel record,only hubby has.Also I filled homemaker in my DS-160 form.Fast forward to present: Am presently reporting life from New York, took Turkish airlines,flight was on point (thks to wonderful people on this forum,I made use of wheelchair) got to new York around 6pm ,Poe was very smooth,money was not checked ,no secondary inspection,only by bags were checked because I declared food,my kilishi and potatoes were thrown into the trash bin.All in all,I don't think I spent 15mins in total at JFK. [b]Moving to phoenix next week,am MIHS momma. [/b]Thumb up to everyone and God bless. Sorry for the long post

Do you already have an appointment ? If not please read the post below:

I thot mihs had stopped collectjng foreign patients. Find out before leaving new york so that you dont get stranded
Thanks so much,I was so scared when I read your post.I had to pick my phone immediately to call them and I was told the policy is for those that do not have an appointment yet,that my appointment still stands with them and i specifically asked if friends can still come from Nigeria but was told no,that a new policy have been passed.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by FinanceFitness: 8:21pm On Jul 18, 2015
I would say pray and go.

But with all your burden of proof and all the confidence.

blackedwin:
we did a drop box and I am travelling with her
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by ChyG: 8:46pm On Jul 18, 2015
yuddiepro:
Beautiful mothers in d house

Please someone should help out. Does anyone have info on an hospital in Michigan or san Jose California that is affordable.

Please I need ur help oo

@ Yuddiepro, I'm an October mom and I plan to give birth in Michigan. So far, I've contacted 2 hospitals there.

1. U may look up Oakwood Annapolis Hospital on Google or try oakwood.org. I contacted d financial counselor who said d hospital fees for vaginal (self-pay) is $4,500. You may also want to look up the ob/gyns that r affiliated to the hospital. I saw a Nigerian on the list. I'm yet to contact any of the doctors.

2. Also check Garden City Hospital on www.gch.org. They have their discounted price list for uninsured, self-pay patients on their website. Vaginal delivery is $3,950. It covers mother and baby (whatever that means) but it excludes physicians fees. I called to see if I could haggle further but was told that the prices on the site were the final.

I've contacted 2 of their doctors. D 1st one said he would collect $3,000 (additional $250 for pediatrician and circumcision).
D 2nd one said he would collect $2000 and that his bill covers both circumcision and pediatrician's fees.

I was also told that my gestational age @ the point of registration would not affect the fees.
I hope this helps. Kindly keep me posted on any better deal in Michigan. Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by tk8681: 8:51pm On Jul 18, 2015
Amother4life:

Do you already have an appointment ? If not please read the post below:

I thot mihs had stopped collectjng foreign patients. Find out before leaving new york so that you dont get stranded
Yes,I already have an appointment. Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jul 18, 2015
HEllo,

Does anyone has any accomodation details for inglewood Los Angeles..already had a correspondence wt a Dr buh accomodation is my problem..the Dr's office is not far from LAX airport..

Anyone on Los Angeles route so we can make plans
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by bambini: 9:32pm On Jul 18, 2015
Pls those that have MIHS appointment is anyone coming in next week? I need you to help bring my consent letter, the one I submitted was rejected please people sign n bring the most recent version to avoid rejection. Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by kindheart213: 11:37pm On Jul 18, 2015
I am in dying need for assistance and advice, i and my wife was deny a B1/B2 visa some time in April, the reasons being that we don't have family travel history together. She is presently pregnant n she is due by Nov. My elder brother lives in Houston, i just want to know how good are her chances since her condition have not changed yet and i don't know if it's advisable to pay all the Dr Fee and part payment before going to for her next interview.
I have about 4M in my acount, i don't know if that is strong enough to take care of her bills, since my brother lives in Houston, accommodation and transport won't be an issue.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nasadiva: 11:53pm On Jul 18, 2015
kindheart213:
I am in dying need for assistance and advice, i and my wife was deny a B1/B2 visa some time in April, the reasons being that we don't have family travel history together. She is presently pregnant n she is due by Nov. My elder brother lives in Houston, i just want to know how good are her chances since her condition have not changed yet and i don't know if it's advisable to pay all the Dr Fee and part payment before going to for her next interview.
I have about 4M in my acount, i don't know if that is strong enough to take care of her bills, since my brother lives in Houston, accommodation and transport won't be an issue.

"Family travel history together" hmmmm excuse that touches... This sounds like our dear black lady. My own advice is 4M is more than okay to take care of her bills in Houston excl accommodation and transportation. Please don't make any payment b4 ur interview cos it will look desperate. Leave the money in your account and reapply when you must have gotten quotation from doc and hospital, and all other burden of proof listed by our dear Phema. Oya Tvegas, Nef, Phema and all other profs over to you.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by kindheart213: 12:20am On Jul 19, 2015
Nasadiva:

"Family travel history together" hmmmm excuse that touches... This sounds like our dear black lady. My own advice is 4M is more than okay to take care of her bills in Houston excl accommodation and transportation. Please don't make any payment b4 ur interview cos it will look desperate. Leave the money in your account and reapply when you must have gotten quotation from doc and hospital, and all other burden of proof listed by our dear Phema. Oya Tvegas, Nef, Phema and all other profs over to you.

Thanks my sister.. It was really frustrating. The black lady was busying denying people, she didn't issue white paper to more than 4 people that i saw her interviewed. I have narrow my search down to Northwest Medical Center Houston and Dr Fagbohun from what i have read on this forum. I will make contact with them on monday.

What other documents you think could help us with the VO?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Happymum: 12:43am On Jul 19, 2015
Hello phoenix mums, Arisbel dropped some items like pots,buckets,plates,etc so anyone interested can drop a message here. I am hardly online but once i come on i will respond.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Tiababy: 1:49am On Jul 19, 2015
So, house. I came in through Newark with my hubby and 2 year old son. I was 34weeks. Tension was all over me.
but then we got to the officers desk after a very long queue. I had planned my 2 year old to greet and charm the officer.
My son said "Good afternoon officer" 3 times but the officer didn't reply not look at him. At this point, I don dey piss for bodii.
he finally raised his head from the computer after about 4mins of smiling at the computer. Your cards and passport, he asked.
We handed it over.
why are u here?
Hubby answered- for holiday and child........... (officer wasn't listening anymore) and "birth" came out of hubbys lips like a silent fart.
where are u coming from?
Hubby answered- Birmingham UK
he went back to his computer for another 2mins. And asked hubby
what do u do? Hubby replied.
he took our finger prints and that how we got stamped in for 6 months.
It was like a dream o. Infact, I reached for the toilet immediately I got to the baggage claim area.
I wish all prospective travellers a successful POE story and most especially I wish myself and other expectant mothers safe delivery.

Cheers!

15 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by ynkthomas: 6:30am On Jul 19, 2015
firsttymum:
See what I just saw....

Where is the body of the news...those are people in Immigration holding facility. A state cannot legislate on Immigration. I hope you read the news and stop making people scared jare.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by firsttymum(f): 7:18am On Jul 19, 2015
ynkthomas:

Where is the body of the news...those are people in Immigration holding facility. A state cannot legislate on Immigration. I hope you read the news and stop making people scared jare.

I did... These immigrants don't have documents and so reason for the refusal
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by firsttymum(f): 7:23am On Jul 19, 2015
kindheart213:

Try Abuja... Go with ur burden of proof
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Tvegas(m): 7:34am On Jul 19, 2015
Nasadiva:

"Family travel history together" hmmmm excuse that touches...My own advice is 4M is more than okay to take care of her bills in Houston excl accommodation and transportation. Please don't make any payment b4 ur interview cos it will look desperate. Leave the money in your account and reapply when you must have gotten quotation from doc and hospital, and all other burden of proof listed by our dear Phema. Oya Tvegas, Nef, Phema and all other profs over to you.
You've said it all,you sef done bag PHD for this thing. It's just one of those reasons a VO can cook up if he/she doesn't want to grant your NIV application. There is no harm in the wife applying alone.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by ynkthomas: 10:28am On Jul 19, 2015
firsttymum:

I did... These immigrants don't have documents and so reason for the refusal

They are illegal immigrants and once nabbed, na holding facility straight. So if one goes legally, there is no fear...and thanks for the clarification.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Ferarrix: 10:30am On Jul 19, 2015
Ferarrix:

sorry for bothering everyone. I found the answers to my questions by reading through the posts esp from feddy27.

One more question feddy.. please how did you manage with local transportation between accommodation and hospital and locall shopping of basic things you required? will also be grateful if you can share contacts(cab, accommodation etc) that were very useful during your stay.

Thank you

in the spirit of giving back..... here is my POE experience.
myself, wife, son, and MIL came in through JFK..... i was ready with my burden of proofs

ME: Hello
CBP: (no answer)
CBP: passports please
ME: handed our passports to him
CBP: (after about few minutes) place your fingers in the machine ---- then he asked my wife, and MIL to do the same.
CBP: that's all
ME: thank you

at the Agric section: i handed the officer my landing card
officer: you indicated that you have more than $10k
me: told him the other currencies i had and the total and he wrote them down
officer: what do you have in your bag....
me: food items, cassava flakes etc
officer: ok you can go

that was it.

Divine favour all the way.

thanks to everyone who has contributed their experiences and tips on this forum.

God Bless you all.

4 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by kaakaa(f): 11:52am On Jul 19, 2015
chenonye:
HEllo,

Does anyone has any accomodation details for inglewood Los Angeles..already had a correspondence wt a Dr buh accomodation is my problem..the Dr's office is not far from LAX airport..

Anyone on Los Angeles route so we can make plans

Hello dear.... what's the name of the hospital or dr you contacted and when are you going..... I planned to use LA but so far accomodation is my problem too....

(1) (2) (3) ... (186) (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) ... (333)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 / Polish Student Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.