Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,959 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:58 PM

Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University (31566 Views)

University Of Nigeria, Nsukka Student Shot Dead (Photo) / Nigerian Man Bags First Class In Engineering From London University. Photos / Have U Cried Because Of This Before? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by Nobody: 11:28am On Mar 04, 2015
by Chibuike Ugwuoke

As a youngster, I had a dream to study abroad but the truth is, dreams are luxuries that can only be accessed when there is money.

My name is Chibuike Ugwuoke was born and bred in Enugu State twenty-something years ago to a very modest family. Even though I wouldn’t say we were poor because we had neighbours that prayed to live in our condition, I knew schooling abroad was reaching for the stars. We simply couldn’t afford it.

I gained admission to study Computer Science at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka in 2007 and by God’s grace, graduated in 2011 with First Class Honours. It was a challenging experience but helped me become the man I am today.

Last year, I left Nigeria for the first time – to begin my Masters of Science (MSc) program in Information Security at the University College, London (UCL). It wasn’t because my parents had become overnight millionaires but because I was one of two hundred and five (205) graduate students to benefit from the PRESSID (Presidential Scholarship Scheme for Innovation and Development) awardees in 2014.

A senior lecturer at the university informed me about it but I felt it was one of those 419 wayo-wayo scholarship schemes that has become a norm in Universities. Besides, I did not expect the final selection process to be credible. In previous regimes, such things are only awarded to people who are related to a prominent person in the government. Somehow I decided to try my luck and apply but even when I was going for the final test phase in Abuja, a part of me felt I was wasting my time.

I’m here in London, but neither the cold nor the fact that I am again the class representative as I was throughout my undergraduate days has made me fully believe that I am not in dreamland.

Hardwork, determination and resilience helped me graduate with first class honours from the university. My classmates who fondly nicknamed me ‘Modulus’ and other schoolmates I met form part of my network of friends today, as do some of my lecturers. There is no point in criticizing the academic structure of most tertiary institutions in Nigeria because the more we complain and point fingers, the more time we give for the system to decay. Personally, I have decided to be part of the needed change and will become a lecturer when I return.

It is imperative to note that this would not have been possible without God and the Goodluck Jonathan administration that initiated this scheme in 2012. I cannot thank you enough, Mr. President especially for lifting a burden from my parents’ shoulders and for fulfilling the dream of a nobody.

When I was notified that I had gotten the scholarship, the first thing I did was to call my elderly mother and tell her. She cried on the phone and I cried along with her. There are few things in this world that beat the tears of joy of a happy woman. Thank you, Mr. President.

http://newswirengr.com/2015/03/03/she-cried-on-the-phone-i-cried-along-with-her-chibuike-ugwuoke-writes-from-london-university/

82 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by CyberWolf: 11:36am On Mar 04, 2015
Kudos to you man...mine is just underway...#Computer Systems & Network Engineering..

17 Likes

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by Bayswater: 11:47am On Mar 04, 2015
He did not only get a scholarship, he got a scholarship to attend one of the best universities in the world; UCL.

ChinemeOkpan, eye4eye, collynzo419, pendy79 e fit be you o. We need more Nigerian UCL alumnus. The door is always open, if only you will go back to school.

Thank you Mr President, you just made another person's dream come true.

92 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by pendy79: 11:51am On Mar 04, 2015
Bayswater:
He did not only get a scholarship, he got a scholarship to attend one of the best universities in the world; UCL.

ChinemeOkpan, eye4eye, collynzo419, pendy79 e fit be you o. We need more Nigerian UCL alumnus. The door is always open, if only you will go back to school.

Thank you Mr President, you just made another person's dream come true.

Trust me I will sponsor every soul in your lineage a 2 year sponsorship to any university in the world if they so wish it.

Tell your father to apply too, education has no time limit. Modafucker.

Send pm to me if you need more modality on how to apply.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by Kenai: 11:52am On Mar 04, 2015
Goodluck Jonathan is working on engaging the youth intelligently to help shape them up as self-reliant entrepreneurs and future employers while Buhari's only strategy of 'youth empowerment' is lining them up every month and giving them 5,000 naira like lazy, hungry, beggarly almajiris in his region.
It's true what they say that you can never teach an expired old dog new tricks.

Lalasticlala, Ishilove: Front page, please.

82 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by Bayswater: 11:55am On Mar 04, 2015
CyberWolf:
Kudos to you man...mine is just underway...#Computer Systems & Network Engineering..

Looking at Greenwich, lsbu, Westminster?

You might want to consider St. Andrews (network and distributed systems) GEJ go pay. lol.
Btw, hope you made a first class/2.1 smiley

5 Likes

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by Bayswater: 12:00pm On Mar 04, 2015
pendy79:

Trust me I will sponsor every soul in your lineage a 2 year sponsorship to any university in the world if they so wish it.

Tell your father to apply too, education has no time limit. Modafucker.

Send pm to me if you need more modality on how to apply.

Hahahaha, see me see trouble o. Ehoro (rabbit) like you lwkmd smiley

Okere (squirrel) feeling funky; you better snap out of your delusion and seek help, you really need to go back to school, shipping magnate lol.
GEJ is willing to take Almajiris like you off our streets by sending you to school. smiley

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by Nobody: 12:38pm On Mar 04, 2015
its don jazzy again cheesy grin

3 Likes

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by yuzjet(m): 12:38pm On Mar 04, 2015
cool
Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by iwezor1(m): 12:38pm On Mar 04, 2015
Enjoy the dividens of democracy bro ... Under one man who know its value wink

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by sammyj: 12:38pm On Mar 04, 2015
Story for the Gods. Campaign propaganda !!!!

9 Likes

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by jamesw: 12:39pm On Mar 04, 2015
I have never heard of PRESSID another good initiative of current administration

Many corruption allegations against my government are politically motivated – Jonathan
SOURCE: http://www.e reporter.com.ng/index.php/political-news/item/3650-many-corruption-allegations-against-my-government-are-politically-motivated-jonathan

2 Likes

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by mytime24(f): 12:39pm On Mar 04, 2015
Brb
Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by Nobody: 12:40pm On Mar 04, 2015
Jonathan I salute ya government

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by lordsharks(m): 12:41pm On Mar 04, 2015
Bayswater:

Hahahaha, see me see trouble o. Ehoro (rabbit) like you lwkmd smiley
Okere (squirrel) feeling funky; you better snap out of your delusion and seek help, you really need to go back to school, shipping magnate lol.
GEJ is willing to take Almajiris like you off our streets by sending you to school. smiley

Harsh one there

6 Likes

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by Smartresult(f): 12:41pm On Mar 04, 2015
An msc holder in information security from University college london on nairaland. Kai this is a scam. It is part of the tactics used by pdp to deceive nigerians.
If not why will a govt. That send uni 6month strike and poly to 11month strike will boast of improving the education sector.
There is something fishy.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by doctokwus: 12:42pm On Mar 04, 2015
In the good times to come under buhari, its foreign universities that wud be begging and giving brilliant Nigerian graduates full scholarships to come study,not the Nigerian govt doing so!

10 Likes

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by kingthreat(m): 12:42pm On Mar 04, 2015
Getting selected 200 and giving them foreign scholarship? Why not enhance a federal university to international standards and make quality education open to 20,000 people.

If only 5% of the total federation is actually benefiting from the government, then the government is not doing welll enough.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by GboyegaD(m): 12:42pm On Mar 04, 2015
Happy for him. I hope he makes the best use of this opportunity.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by iwezor1(m): 12:42pm On Mar 04, 2015
jamesw:
ok, make I read am
guy u funny o, so u da comment before u read, na wa o grin
Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by lordsharks(m): 12:42pm On Mar 04, 2015
sammyj:
Story for the Gods. Campaign propaganda !!!!

Lol
Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by phlamesG: 12:42pm On Mar 04, 2015
Goodluck bro but 4get its nt GEJ's doing its God nd nuttin else

4 Likes

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by Ogbuefienubiaka: 12:44pm On Mar 04, 2015
GEJ till 2019 . Please ask GMB to remember to get his certificate from London.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by nerodenero: 12:44pm On Mar 04, 2015
Weldone Mr. President!

8 Likes

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by Seun360(m): 12:44pm On Mar 04, 2015
[quote author=sammyj post=31291228]Story for the Gods. Campaign propaganda !!!![/quoteo

No mind them. Scholarship for South South and South East folks.

Sai Malam.
Sai Buhari.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by anselm791(m): 12:44pm On Mar 04, 2015
I'm happy for you and your one vote, I'm keeping mine in my pocket since I haven't enjoyed nada from the presidency.

5 Likes

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by kingthreat(m): 12:45pm On Mar 04, 2015
aktolly54:
Why now? So we can vote him again

It is obvious
Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by aktolly54(m): 12:45pm On Mar 04, 2015
Why now? So we can vote him again
Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by Pedagogue: 12:45pm On Mar 04, 2015
Chibuike,we have SOMETHING in common. CONGRATS.
Mr. President, many thanks for bringing smiles to Mr.Chibuike and his family.

However, democracy should be about bringing joy to the greatest number of people. Awarding scholarships to a few Nigerians cannot move our country forward.

1. What will move our country forward is by ensuring that Nigerian Children have access to quality education.

2. What's the point in investing millions on few students when the GREATER NUMBER of our University students were at home for 6 months; Polytechnics were closed down for 11 months and Colleges of education were under locks and keys for about a year!!!

3.Let's stop celebrating mediocrity. I want a President that will improve the quality of our Universities; not one that will continue the anachronistic order of sending students abroad.

4.If we Improve the quality of our Universities and hospitals; Nobody will go abroad!!!

5. Sending students abroad is a 1960/ 1970/ 1980 mentality. They've stopped all that in Ghana and South Africa.

6.It's a sign of backwardness.

I will vote for CHANGE.Things Must CHANGE

22 Likes

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by ITbomb(m): 12:45pm On Mar 04, 2015
GEJ till Buhari accepts doctor's advice to step down
(if Tinubu go allow am o)

12 Likes

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by tonyot(m): 12:46pm On Mar 04, 2015
Yea...true story. I have a friend from your school. she also benefited and now in Edimburgh. I guess you all were classmates.
Thumps up Mr President.
GEJ till 2019

15 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FUTO Final Year Student Found Dead In Imo, A Bottle Of Snipper Found In His Room / Missing Dipo Fasina Has Been Found / Governor Wike Commissions Secondary School At Eleme In Rivers State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.