Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,284 members, 7,807,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:10 AM

5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) (28987 Views)

2015 Election: What You Should About INEC Card Reader / See 5 Things You Should Know About INEC Chairman, Jega’s Alleged Replacement / The Truth About Inec’s Election Postponement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by Nobody: 11:27am On Mar 06, 2015
#5 is the masterstroke. You cannot come and tell us 90% of people voted, when only 50% came for accreditation.

Filling empty ballot papers no longer feasible.

That is why some people are calling for Jega's head.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by neowelsh(m): 11:27am On Mar 06, 2015
Its so funny , how We all want a free and fair election, forgetting that d easiest way to rig and election is via d card reader, all u need is change some 0s to 1s, a little change to d Codes, ure done. no sweat
Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by adeA1(m): 11:28am On Mar 06, 2015
cyberdurable:

[size=30] and who said u aren't Certificateless Like ur Pay master? Ur case is worse, You can't even count 1,2,3, Look well and tell me u are d 1st to comment Rubbish[/size]
In fact u re a cure PDP. Always lookin for petty fault to scuttle our attntn wia it really needed.
Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by Pesuzok(m): 11:32am On Mar 06, 2015
Lovexme:
They've got built-in memories, thus no problem of poor mobile connection? I fail to understand how that correlates.

Are the sim cards for storage or for accessing networks?

The sim is for the uploading to INEC servers

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by folahann(m): 11:33am On Mar 06, 2015
PDP are against card reader, they're against use if PVC, they're against Jega, they want further postponement and someone will come and say they're not scared of this election. I guessed PDP is against the election all together.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by Pesuzok(m): 11:34am On Mar 06, 2015
Savor9:
card reader reminds me of the series "scandals". It can be configured to favor a particular party, so I don't and won't buy the idea of using card reader in this election. [color=#006600][/color]

LIES, how would you know which party an electorate will vote for?
Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by IVORY2009(m): 11:34am On Mar 06, 2015
OgologoDimkpa:
Say NO to card readers embarassed

Quote me to your peril!
Will not respond to bullshits sad

GEJ till 2019!!!

Baba why?
Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by REAL64: 11:35am On Mar 06, 2015
ENEMY OF PROGRESS DONT WANT CARD READER

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by Pesuzok(m): 11:38am On Mar 06, 2015
overlord77:

Nice pictorial illustration, great innovation. However, I still got some questions I need clarifications on.

1. Jega told us INEC's DB is offline hence his dismissal of any hacking accusation by the political parties, How come the card reader sends data to central server in illustration 5?
2. If it's possible that the card reader uses SIM cards, that means they are data comm capable and can communicate with their so called central server, how come I cant be accredited at any of.their polling units ?why do I have to.risk my life and travel to where I registered more than 2yrs ago to vote? Why can't Nigerians in the diaspora also vote?

I may not know politics, but coding is my hobby and this so called technology is rubbish. Just like saying you must make withdrawals from the bank branch you opened your account whenever you want money from your account.

The card reader only sends the number of accredited voters to INEC server, all the information it need to accreditate a voter is in its memory, so all registered voters per polling unit are programmed into the memory card of the pvc

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by Pesuzok(m): 11:41am On Mar 06, 2015
overlord77:

Real time storage still means, DB is online hence I can be verified anywhere I am. Why is this not so.

it only sends the number of accredited voters, not accessing any database.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by Pesuzok(m): 11:43am On Mar 06, 2015
yaskarahyelhope:
My people perishing from lack of knowledge. What makes U think that this so-called card reader can't be manipulated? Imagine fixing election from 8am to 1pm. Whether there are still remnants of people to vote, they don't care. They'll stop d voting and count d votes. Imagine d waste of time for every head/person that comes to vote before he/she can vote. Nigeria and waste of time. With this waste of time, closing at 1pm will be wrong as many won't av opportunity to vote. It may lead to d next day. God help Nigeria and Jega if his plans are genuine. I don't trust d card readers not one bit. Am in d rear north and I know their political plans with very underage people who av gotten PVCs to vote. Its well O!

Please get your info right, election will not stop by 1 pm, just accreditation.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by Pesuzok(m): 11:46am On Mar 06, 2015
Upright750:
Am very scared of this card reader because I feel is aaway to rigg the election technologically. Look at the way people hack bank account even ATM matchine as well as DSTV even government files . jega can as well give one sided party the reader and they can just take the ic software to go elwhere like china where it was manufactured to reproduce more card reader to give their member power to print more pvc that can match the so called reader . or some folks can send some kind of virus or fire wotks that can damega the memory card and such virus can harm the election plans. That's my opinion on this card reader .. We should think about the bad side of it too.

Please you need to understand how the card reader works first before writing all these

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by Pesuzok(m): 11:47am On Mar 06, 2015
neowelsh:
Its so funny , how We all want a free and fair election, forgetting that d easiest way to rig and election is via d card reader, all u need is change some 0s to 1s, a little change to d Codes, ure done. no sweat

FOR YOUR MIND

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by folahann(m): 11:55am On Mar 06, 2015
I just see a lot of flimsy excuses not to use Card reader here.
One said the SCR can be manipulated to favour a party. As if it is the card reader that's the ballot paper we are voting with.

Another said it will make voting stop by 1pm, I just laugher when I saw that one. One too said it will open inec database for hackers to set in. Bros, na only you be programmer, you better be more serious about ur programming class.

Card readers have come to stay, it's a very nice anti-rigging agent. If you hate card reader, you want to rig.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by Emmafrancis: 12:01pm On Mar 06, 2015
Obiagelli:
Great, especially the 5th part where it send the number of accredited voters to the inec server.

Why is the pdp so scared?

Lalasticlala.

Using card reader in this election is like performing at a concert while learning to play a violin.
Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by Kingspin(m): 12:09pm On Mar 06, 2015
APC is much more interested in resource control than anything they want to maintain the country`s status quo i laugh becos it gona be hot, the country must develop and distribute equally. We must by force move away from the past.
Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by Wahala90: 12:12pm On Mar 06, 2015
Card Reader Results!

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by Lovexme(m): 12:34pm On Mar 06, 2015
Pesuzok:

The sim is for the uploading to INEC servers

Internet based? No?

I'd like to see how one looks and how it functions exactly.
Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by JideTheBlogger(m): 12:34pm On Mar 06, 2015
Obiagelli:
Great, especially the 5th part where it send the number of accredited voters to the inec server.

Why is the pdp so scared?

Lalasticlala.

The 5th part is pdp nightmare. Before now, they use forces to compel those corpers not to enter the accreditation figure in the sheet not till after election.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by mrrock: 12:45pm On Mar 06, 2015
If the card readers use SIM cards then forget about the credibility of this election. Because that means there's an enormous power placed in the hands of GSM networks. Any mobile network that is contracted for the SIM card can determine what information the SIM card receive or send. You can literally hack into the card readers via the mobile networks.

Can someone remind me; which mobile network advertised for Buhari?. Now it becomes clear why the APC is courting some of the mobile networks to advertise for them. I can tell you for sure APC have a grand plan to rig this election big time!.
Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by xtremeinv(m): 12:58pm On Mar 06, 2015
INEC LOOKS READY BUT I ADVICE THEY GET THE BEST "WHITE HATS" TO COUNTER ANY "BLACK HATS" THAT MAY ARISE....POINT 5 COULD BE THE DECIDER OF ALL THE POINTS.

GODSPEED NIGERIA!!!
Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by xtremeinv(m): 1:02pm On Mar 06, 2015
mrrock:
If the card readers use SIM cards then forget about the credibility of this election. Because that means there's an enormous power placed in the hands of GSM networks. Any mobile network that is contracted for the SIM card can determine what information the SIM card receive or send. You can literally hack into the card readers via the mobile networks.

Can someone remind me; which mobile network advertised for Buhari?. Now it becomes clear why the APC is courting some of the mobile networks to advertise for them. I can tell you for sure APC have a grand plan to rig this election big time!.

YOU THINK INEC WILL BE STUPID TO CONTRACT OUR INEFFECTIVE MOBILE OPERATORS TO POWER THE SIM CARDS FOR THE DEVICES?

QUIT BEIGN SENTIMENTAL.

#SMH
Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by jimmayoy: 1:02pm On Mar 06, 2015
Post any rubbish in favour of Jonathan on Nairaland and watch it hit the front page.some people don collect.
Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by airsaylongcon: 1:20pm On Mar 06, 2015
This whole card reader thing is going to be a logistical nightmare if this info graphic is to be followed.

I've got a few questions for us all to think about.

1) Networks vary from locality to locality. In some areas, "everywhere you go" is not really everywhere. Is INEC prepared for the eventuality if the chosen network is unavailable on election day? Masts can be powered down or signal jammers deployed to prevent communication with the so-called servers.

2) The timeframe doesn't hold water. All the ones they have been using so far have they been timeframed? If they are working outside the time frame now then trust me IT boys will make them work outside the timeframe on election day.

3) The same holds for the units been preloaded with polling units data before they can work. They are already validating cards outside of polling units today. Where arecthey validating this data from?

4) We all have phones with stated power time of 12hours. But we all know that with heavy use that thing barely makes 6hrs. Add fluctuating network in rural areas and u r looking at 4hrs.

I look for someone to allay these fears. In IT if anything can go wrong, it WILL go wrong

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by airsaylongcon: 1:28pm On Mar 06, 2015
Pesuzok:

The card reader only sends the number of accredited voters to INEC server, all the information it need to accreditate a voter is in its memory, so all registered voters per polling unit are programmed into the memory card of the pvc

So how have the ones they have been using to validate cards on TV worked?which polling units data have they loaded on them?
Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by obayaya(m): 1:33pm On Mar 06, 2015
These card readers are terrible machines... The card reader has never captured a voters thumbprint on the first try. most times it takes more than 4 attempts before the machines verifies a voters thumbprint. I mean a valid voter at the right polling unit..

According to Inec, the maximum number of voters possible in a polling unit is 750. And verification is to last for 5 hours (600 minutes).

To the able to meet up with the time, the officers have just about 24 seconds to verify a voter. which in my opinion is impossible considering how inefficient the card reader is at verifying a voters thumbprint.

The Card reader is a step in the right direction though. But INEC has to do something about the print capturing/matching ability of the machine.
Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by Nobody: 2:00pm On Mar 06, 2015
Bede2u:

As for me and mine, though am from Enugu, its CHANGE all d way!! After all wat did GEJ do 4 my state apart 4rm baptizing our airport 'international'? An airport dat is currently looking like an ABC transport Bus teminal!
Ok, don't worry GMB will remember your state when he wins election undecided
Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by omolami: 2:16pm On Mar 06, 2015
CONSTITUTION OF NIGERIA ABHORS ELECTRONIC VOTING .THEREFORE D USE OF ELECTRONIC CARD READER IS GOING AGAINST THE CONSTITUTION. JEGA SHOULD BE ASKED WHY HE IS TAKING WRONG STEPS. HID PLAN WITH APC HAD FAILED .JEGS MUST GO
Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by luluosas(m): 2:24pm On Mar 06, 2015
Good development. Say no election rigging. Yes to card reader.
Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by Bede2u(m): 2:30pm On Mar 06, 2015
Weselion:
Ok, don't worry GMB will remember your state when he wins election undecided
He might. He just might. But GEJ is a no no 4 me

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) by queensmith: 2:48pm On Mar 06, 2015
My problem is that they can accredit, then chase them all away and leave their thugs to vote. If the number of accredited voters are less the vote isn't nullified.

People should be able to vote immediately after accrediting. Why isnt it done that way?

PVC doesn't resolve the use of intimidation to stop the opposition from voting.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

El-Rufai Suspended For 6 Months By APC Faction / Bayelsa Governorship: Crowd Welcome David Lyon To Bayelsa / Usman Ododo Says He Is A Married Woman (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.