Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,480 members, 7,808,750 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:20 PM

The Challenges Of An Online Market Place Merchant: Kaymu, Konga & Jumia As Case - Adverts - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Adverts / The Challenges Of An Online Market Place Merchant: Kaymu, Konga & Jumia As Case (2045 Views)

Buy & Sell Market Place / Just1k.ng: Nigeria's Online Market Place Now Online / The Road To Victoria By Jarus Is Available on Konga and Kaymu Now! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Challenges Of An Online Market Place Merchant: Kaymu, Konga & Jumia As Case by Mcleo007(m): 9:36pm On Mar 06, 2015
I wish moderators can help get this on FP to enable due discussions on the topic.

Introduction.
Selling online with the advent of ecommerce websites like the ones given above was greeted with joy by most Nigerians, especially the young and vibrant population who are largely unemployed.

The referring module, borrowed from the mass success of global brands like eBay, amazon and co became the operating guideline for these companies, and so is evident in their operations as regards doing business in Nigeria, among Nigerians.

The Situation.
In truth, 65% of online "shoppers" are trolls. They're nothing but a pack of jokers with little or no clear intention to buy. They just click and watch things unfold. And that's one of the ugly sides to the situation. I know of someone who has Dealdey, Jumia and Kaymu on auto load on his systems' browser... He's always checking for stuffs; order and hardly keep. More often than not, he is only sight seeing, but now on the physical, which has now become a habit... An aberration, so to say

Some persons are probably hoping to buy some items and sell themselves... They come on Kaymu, see the item and click cash on delivery... Delivery gets to them, they then see it an opportunity to make assessment. In the long run, they give an excuse not to pay. What will the delivery man do, he signs out and on to the next one...

It is my submission that, Cash on delivery should be moderated by these companies...
Re: The Challenges Of An Online Market Place Merchant: Kaymu, Konga & Jumia As Case by Mcleo007(m): 9:37pm On Mar 06, 2015
Opinions.
I have an importation group on WhatsApp. Here are some member opinions from a discourse had done days back;
Otunba opined that, "The faults are from the website, the merchant and buyers. Merchants in the sense that they may not deliver on time. Some buyers are not in a fixed Location. If the goods is not delivered within the stipulated time, the buyer may not be available to pick
The seller's part comes from what you have said and atimes they want more than they paid for. The merchant's part comes when the product is substandard. No buyer would want such.
Anty Ruky has this to say; "Some days ago there was a discussion on the hub abt the challenges faced by sellers on konga and d like as regards pay on delivery.  Here is whats done in India to reduce return by buyers. The delivery man delivers parcel well wrapped and sealed just like as parcel is packed for posting.
Buyers are not allowed to open parcel until they have paid d delivery guy who is not even expected to wait till buyer opens before he takes his leave
If buyer wants to return parcel he can contact the merchant or complain on the site where he bought the product and of course there are certain guidelines for returning parcels. Product has to be either damaged, counterfeit or not as described. Then the seller sends some1 to pick up parcel for return or buyer returns and he his given a coupon equivalent to the cost of shipping back to the seller"

Suggestion?
Some items are hard to make work on ecommerce websites...My shoe size is 43 for some, 44 for others. Let's say I ordered size43 online and it turns out to be bigger or small for me.. What happens?
"Gold" watches too...You can imagine someone ordered a Tissot male watch, sold at the rate of N3500... Item gets delivered to him and he's like "this thing is not pure gold na, abeg make una take am back jare"* Seller can be faulted here... Some sellers don't give clear insight on items they display online... There are pure gold items and ones that are gold plated... Gold has different shades and the karat level differ... 14 karat is inferior to 18k
Re: The Challenges Of An Online Market Place Merchant: Kaymu, Konga & Jumia As Case by Mcleo007(m): 9:38pm On Mar 06, 2015
Conclusion.
This is not an article or a publication. It's but a voice of concern, so opinions are welcome.

In a way,I blame the dispatchers and those on charge... Most times, they just go to given addresses without prior notice. Like get to your home address that you gave as billing address and you just hear, "oga I de your gate, I from Konga"... And at that time, you're probably at work or away from the address.

I run a dispatch delivery service (IBL Procurement & Logistics). What I do in my dispatch which I consider ideal is call receivers in the morning of the day to schedule the delivery; ask if they would be available for pickup and give a time frame with which to expect delivery... Things can change of course. Suggest to them to leave instructions with someone to receive for them, should be unavailable later. It's simple and makes work easier

Thanks
Mcleo007 (IBL)
Re: The Challenges Of An Online Market Place Merchant: Kaymu, Konga & Jumia As Case by onyichick(f): 9:39pm On Mar 06, 2015
oga Leo I see u.nice write up
Re: The Challenges Of An Online Market Place Merchant: Kaymu, Konga & Jumia As Case by Mcleo007(m): 9:44pm On Mar 06, 2015
onyichick:
oga Leo I see u.nice write up

Onyi dearie...
Re: The Challenges Of An Online Market Place Merchant: Kaymu, Konga & Jumia As Case by glamfactor9ja: 9:52pm On Mar 06, 2015
@OP your points are very valid. There's no protection whatsoever for sellers on these platforms. Rather the buyers have all the advantage. There should proper check and balances for both sellers and buyers so that both can enjoy smooth transactions. Very nice thread.
Re: The Challenges Of An Online Market Place Merchant: Kaymu, Konga & Jumia As Case by chidekings(m): 10:15pm On Mar 06, 2015
wait,untill u hear the lamentations of the buyers.
Re: The Challenges Of An Online Market Place Merchant: Kaymu, Konga & Jumia As Case by oshie(m): 11:49pm On Mar 06, 2015
Nice topic.

it's frustrating, as merchants are at d mercy of buyers. some even place order just confirm it it can work in Naija. After it costs no extra data to click pay on delivery.

The worst is the it doesn't affect site owers as there are many merchants begging to have their goods showcased on frofront page of their sites.

conversely, some merchants tell lies as per their products description and specs.

Let's keep contributing till the the matter gets to Kong and the likes.

Way forwArd

Implementation of escrow on such sites.
Sanitation of seĺles on sites.

After all site owners gets % for escrow.
Re: The Challenges Of An Online Market Place Merchant: Kaymu, Konga & Jumia As Case by Mcleo007(m): 12:06am On Mar 07, 2015
Interesting and incisive. Thanks for the contributions
Re: The Challenges Of An Online Market Place Merchant: Kaymu, Konga & Jumia As Case by oluplus(m): 1:35pm On Mar 07, 2015
good one
Re: The Challenges Of An Online Market Place Merchant: Kaymu, Konga & Jumia As Case by dozieben2(m): 6:20pm On Apr 10, 2015
oga ibl

(1) (Reply)

Buy Your Cheap Truck Spare Parts / English Plain And Pattern Fabrics / Konica Minolta Printer Parts Hot Deals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.