Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,934 members, 7,799,164 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:22 PM

Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language (152139 Views)

Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched / Canadian Terry Duguid In Igbo Attire During Festival. Photos / Names Of Animals,insects And Birds In Hausa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by tonychristopher: 9:24am On Mar 10, 2015
we have apes in igbo land such as Monkey, Gorrilla, Chimpanzees and Baboon but what we have in Igbo land is just enwe and ozodigba

Enwe is monkey
Ozodingba is ?

I dont trust google translator cos i dont know who gave them those igbo dictionary so can someone look at these animals

also what about eke

Eke is is boa constrictor, Python or ananconda

dalu nu

Radoillo:

I made some modifications to my earlier comment while you were replying to it.

According to material I consulted, the black kite (a species widespread in Nigeria and other African countries) besides looking very much like 'egbe' also exhibit typical egbe behavioural traits.

For example the black kites are attracted to smokes and fires, and will often be seen hovering over fires. This is a classic 'egbe' characteristic. Our ancestors even made a how-and-why story explaining why 'egbe' are attracted to fires.

I don't know who are making the dictionaries and who translate for Google and whether they are qualified to do so. But my own observations have led me to think they are probably wrong.

Besides I respect Achebe's opinion in these matters. And he thought kite was egbe. grin

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Okeikpu(m): 9:29am On Mar 10, 2015
tonychristopher:

obiakwa..ajo anu, nwa si owerre ba nne ya afor, anu ana agba egbe ona acho gold circle condom, anu ana atu iche ona agba ncha , nwoke jebere obodo oyibo rapu otu ndioch my god....

asi m ya na okeipku araupu oga ara onwe ya? ajuju bu ife a

nna kedu ije?
ana emekwa?
nda ka europe di?

udo chia

LovelyLilac juo okeipku ese...okwa ka ora m na onu

emecha ibia ka anyi tule ife gi
Dike ana aba nti k'anaba ji cheesy Ukpaka n'agba na udu mmiri, oji ikpu eme ogo cheesy AJO ANU ENYI N'ABARU MBA, O N'AKU IKPU (●__●) keneelu mu ori-aku na ndi be gi ヽ(°◇° )

1 Like

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by tonychristopher: 9:31am On Mar 10, 2015
Okeikpu:
Dike ana aba nti k'anaba ji cheesy Ukpaka n'agba na udu mmiri, oji ikpu eme ogo cheesy AJO ANU ENYI N'ABARU MBA, O N'AKU IKPU (●__●) keneelu mu ori-aku na ndi be gi ヽ(°◇° )

oso m ka ana etu afa? onye ka m bu? ekwusinike maka umu asa ije na abusi m sugar daddy, oriaku m no ofuma, ifku ya nokwa ofuma ifenile nokwa ofuma, dalu so

enenigha nwa ite...ogbanyuo oku

1 Like

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Okeikpu(m): 9:48am On Mar 10, 2015
Mbakwes di.ck- Amu Mbakwe (・∀・)
He goat- nwa mkpi (⌒▽⌒)
Scorpion - Akpi okochi (¬_¬)
She goat - nwunye mkpi (^~^) o gwukwa ka o ram na onu....... Umu Igbo ,udo na Ife eji ahazi ndu diri unu n'ile........

1 Like

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Okeikpu(m): 9:52am On Mar 10, 2015
tonychristopher:

oso m ka ana etu afa? onye ka m bu? ekwusinike maka umu asa ije na abusi m sugar daddy, oriaku m no ofuma, ifku ya nokwa ofuma ifenile nokwa ofuma, dalu so

enenigha nwa ite...ogbanyuo oku

O ka onye ra,ka ekwe si akpo ya wink o nnukwu mmanwu eji eje MBA ka I by.........Olisa gozie gi na Ife na ejelu gi ozi.......
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Eke40seven(m): 9:53am On Mar 10, 2015
tonychristopher:

nna, i talk with authority, those that know me here know that i make statement and support it with facts. Wolfs and Racoon are not found in Africa and the only one found in africa is in ethipoia and it is in isolation and Igboland is very far from Abyysnia or Ethipoia and we cant have a name for wolf nor racoon

pls read this

remember we have many canine family animals like Black-backed jackal (Canis mesomelas),Fennec fox (Vulpes zerda),Dhole (Cuon alpinus),Golden jackal (Canis aureus)

mind you all these are Nkita ohia or you can call them edi

The Ethiopian wolf is also known as the Abyssinian wolf, Abyssinian fox, red jackal, Simien fox and Simien jackal. It is one of the most threatened canids in the world and the only wolf species to be found in Africa.

HOW ARE ETHIOPIAN WOLVES CLASSIFIED?

Living things can be organised into different groups. Species that are alike are grouped together. This is called classification.

Class: Mammals
Order: Carnivores
Family: Canids
Species: Canis simensis

ETHIOPIAN WOLVES ARE SPECIAL

Ethiopian wolves have long legs and a long, pointed muzzle and weigh between 11 and 19kg. They are a distinctive bright tawny red in colour with paler under parts and a black bushy tail. During the breeding season and pregnancy the female will turn a paler, more golden colour. There are thought to be fewer than 500 Ethiopian wolves remaining.

DISTRIBUTION

The Ethiopian wolf is confined to seven isolated subpopulations in different mountain ranges of the Ethiopian highlands, at altitudes above 3000m. More than half of the population lives in the Bale Mountains.

Map showing distribution of the Ethiopian Wolf
http://www.bornfree.org.uk/animals/ethiopian-wolves/facts/

You have to be updated on this, there are evidences that the wolf population in Africa in the past were much more higher than it is now. In fact, the story of "the Egyptian wolf god" has been thought to be a borrowed myth because it was thought that there are no wolves in Africa save for the Ethopian wolves. Have you ever heard of the 'Cryptic African wolves' or the Lupaster? Read it up.

Evidence 2: The Egyptian golden jackal's status as a jackal is very much in doubt although it has always been. A study carried out shocked many scientists as the DNA and Taxa matched that of the grey wolves. They say they are "wolves in jackal's clothing"

Evidence 3: There is much evidence of living grey wolves in Ethiopia (not the well known Ethiopian wolves). They are rare, shy and hard to site because they are similar to the Ethiopian golden jackals and blend well.

Pictures have appeared of a very rare "African grey wolf" sited in the Sahara and its quite different from any known wolf. Even in Eritrea, there have been reports of a rare wolf like canid.

You have to understand that the fact that science have fully identified some animals and place them in their taxonomy doesn't mean they don't exist or did not exist sometimes in the past.
So, I will not doubt if our ancestors fully identified the presence of wolves and thus its name since there is a corresponding evidence shown by a fellow southern tribe.

1 Like

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 9:54am On Mar 10, 2015
tonychristopher:
we have apes in igbo land such as Monkey, Gorrilla, Chimpanzees and Baboon but what we have in Igbo land is just enwe and ozodigba

Enwe is monkey
Ozodingba is ?

I dont trust google translator cos i dont know who gave them those igbo dictionary so can someone look at these animals

also what about eke

Eke is is boa constrictor, Python or ananconda

dalu nu

I believe ozodimgba is the gorilla, and adaka is the chimp. Eke is the python. What our people sometimes call a boa constrictor is just the python. Boa constructors are a related but distinct species which are found in the Americas. Anacondas are of course not native to our parts.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by tonychristopher: 10:13am On Mar 10, 2015
Radoillo:

I believe ozodimgba is the gorilla, and adaka is the chimp. Eke is the python. What our people sometimes call a boa constrictor is just the python. Boa constructors are a related but distinct species which are found in the Americas. Anacondas are of course not native to our parts.

dalu for clarification

i now get it,....but we have snakes that contstricts. This is a very good insight you have given me, I cna face my daughter with her too many questions
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by tonychristopher: 10:16am On Mar 10, 2015
you are mistaking brother, you are talking about egyptian which is north africa and we are talking about igbo land whiich is in west africa and tropical belt and i can categorically tell you that there is NO WOLF EVER IN THE HISTORY OF IGBO LAND OR TROPICS.... that is my point and i have given you links

NNA DONT MISTAKE CANINES, THEY LOOK ALIKES AND THERE IS BOUND TO BE CONFUSIONS JUST LIKE FELINES ALSO.

Nna, anyi enweghi wolf na obodo anyi

e
Eke40seven:

You have to be updated on this, there are evidences that the wolf population in Africa in the past were much more higher than it is now. In fact, the story of "the Egyptian wolf god" has been thought to be a borrowed myth because it was thought that there are no wolves in Africa save for the Ethopian wolves. Have you ever heard of the 'Cryptic African wolves' or the Lupaster? Read it up.

Evidence 2: The Egyptian golden jackal's status as a jackal is very much in doubt although it has always been. A study carried out shocked many scientists as the DNA and Taxa matched that of the grey wolves. They say they are "wolves in jackal's clothing"

Evidence 3: There is much evidence of living grey wolves in Ethiopia (not the well known Ethiopian wolves). They are rare, shy and hard to site because they are similar to the Ethiopian golden jackals and blend well.

Pictures have appeared of a very rare "African grey wolf" sited in the Sahara and its quite different from any known wolf. Even in Eritrea, there have been reports of a rare wolf like canid.

You have to understand that the fact that science have fully identified some animals and place them in their taxonomy doesn't mean they don't exist or did not exist sometimes in the past.
So, I will not doubt if our ancestors fully identified the presence of wolves and thus its name since there is a corresponding evidence shown by a fellow southern tribe.
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by tonychristopher: 10:17am On Mar 10, 2015
Okeikpu:
O ka onye ra,ka ekwe si akpo ya wink o nnukwu mmanwu eji eje MBA ka I by.........Olisa gozie gi na Ife na ejelu gi ozi.......

gbam,

offor gi amaka, oga adili gi na mma nwanne m nwoke, ina eje na iru ona eme na azu, fa ama nwute gi

dalu sooo
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 11:56am On Mar 10, 2015
Anom ebea.....
tonychristopher:

lol

nne idi ezigbo funny, ichokwa k am runye gi, odikwa mma. Igbo siri na akpa ofuma aruhu na ute.

Arinze na nke gi bu ikpu otu esiri kwuo maka na oya bu my specification, udi ndi nwere obele aji...mana igbo na asi na okeikpu ana atu ujo, oya ga ara onwe ya? okwa ilu ka m na aturu gi ...mana nsogbu adighi

ebe isiri m jebe owere nchi, ka m jebe sie owere nchi ka m chere gi ebe ahu. Ona adikwa mma na owere nchi...jukwa Rochas bu onye ochichi ma obu ijukw ikiri ya bu ohakim

Chukwu dubere m gi ma gozie gi

nwanyi oma
enenebe ikpu esie osikapa

kedu peppyluv m ?

1 Like

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Eke40seven(m): 12:27pm On Mar 10, 2015
tonychristopher:
you are mistaking brother, you are talking about egyptian which is north africa and we are talking about igbo land whiich is in west africa and tropical belt and i can categorically tell you that there is NO WOLF EVER IN THE HISTORY OF IGBO LAND OR TROPICS.... that is my point and i have given you links

NNA DONT MISTAKE CANINES, THEY LOOK ALIKES AND THERE IS BOUND TO BE CONFUSIONS JUST LIKE FELINES ALSO.

Nna, anyi enweghi wolf na obodo anyi

e

Firstly, you mentioned that "there are no wolves in Africa". That actually attracted my attention because I have seen documented evidences of different wolf species in Africa.
Canids may of course look similar when compared to other animals but am sure a 5 year old will easily differentiate a Great Dane from a Chihuahua despite the fact that both are dogs. You don't have any evidence whatsoever that these real wolves didn't once roam our land. Even for tigers, there are evidences from fossils that tigers could once have very much roamed Africa even its extinction is not limited to Africa, its even endangered in Asia too. The tigers were even found as far as Siberia! The Siberian Tiger.

On the other hand, the fact that an animal doesnt exist somewhere does not mean the natives of that place do not have a name for it
In your opinion, what animal might the igbos be referring to as a Wolf?

1 Like

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 1:42pm On Mar 10, 2015
Okeikpu:
Nne kedu? Ife gi n'amasikwa nu mu ( ˘ ³˘)❤
adim oyi. Ndi k'imeru? Ihe mu ana amasi gi? wink
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 1:46pm On Mar 10, 2015
tonychristopher:

lol

nne idi ezigbo funny, ichokwa k am runye gi, odikwa mma. Igbo siri na akpa ofuma aruhu na ute.

Arinze na nke gi bu ikpu otu esiri kwuo maka na oya bu my specification, udi ndi nwere obele aji...mana igbo na asi na okeikpu ana atu ujo, oya ga ara onwe ya? okwa ilu ka m na aturu gi ...mana nsogbu adighi

ebe isiri m jebe owere nchi, ka m jebe sie owere nchi ka m chere gi ebe ahu. Ona adikwa mma na owere nchi...jukwa Rochas bu onye ochichi ma obu ijukw ikiri ya bu ohakim

Chukwu dubere m gi ma gozie gi

nwanyi oma
enenebe ikpu esie osikapa

kedu peppyluv m ?
I gbalia l. E kelekwaa m gi ebe odi ukwuu. Hapu okwu ikpu, ka okwu ikpu hapu gi aka. Ekwuchala m. Amam maka ekpere gi.

1 Like

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 1:49pm On Mar 10, 2015
simdam500:

I mean thanks for telling me the igbo meaning... I appreciate .

Btw, my åMû is missing a øTü cos she traveled to Sambisa cheesy
Otu gi ahu efuola ohia! *in Sam loco's voice* otu gi anaa! Lol. You 0tu has gone to the land of no return, my sentiments exactly.
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by tonychristopher: 3:47pm On Mar 10, 2015
LovelyLilac:
I gbalia l. E kelekwaa m gi ebe odi ukwuu. Hapu okwu ikpu, ka okwu ikpu hapu gi aka. Ekwuchala m. Amam maka ekpere gi.

odkwa mma

m hapu okwu ikpu, m kwuo gini, okwanu ikpu ka nwoke ji agbo mgbo

mana udo di
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by tonychristopher: 3:51pm On Mar 10, 2015
that i said and i said it out of scientific and anthropological evidence. I am sure igbo will call Chihuahua nwa nkita lol

but lets call a spade what is it

Wolves, Tigers are not found in sub saharan africa and that is a scientific fact
Eke40seven:

Firstly, you mentioned that "there are no wolves in Africa". That actually attracted my attention because I have seen documented evidences of different wolf species in Africa.
Canids may of course look similar when compared to other animals but am sure a 5 year old will easily differentiate a Great Dane from a Chihuahua despite the fact that both are dogs. You don't have any evidence whatsoever that these real wolves didn't once roam our land. Even for tigers, there are evidences from fossils that tigers could once have very much roamed Africa even its extinction is not limited to Africa, its even endangered in Asia too. The tigers were even found as far as Siberia! The Siberian Tiger.

On the other hand, the fact that an animal doesnt exist somewhere does not mean the natives of that place do not have a name for it
In your opinion, what animal might the igbos be referring to as a Wolf?

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by tonychristopher: 3:54pm On Mar 10, 2015
Peppyluv:
Anom ebea.....

nwanyi ka ibe ya,

enenebe ukwu egbuo ewu
enenenbe ikpu ede cheque
nwanyi ji obi di ya na aka
nwanyi eji aga mba

nwanyi oma

nda ije

munwa na ach idoka panti LovelyLilac ona agba so oso...lol

nne kedu ka imelu?
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 4:37pm On Mar 10, 2015
M ga agwa nne m na I choro idori panti mu.
tonychristopher:

nwanyi ka ibe ya,

enenebe ukwu egbuo ewu
enenenbe ikpu ede cheque
nwanyi eji aga mba

nwanyi oma

nda ije

nne kedu ka imelu?

1 Like

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 4:57pm On Mar 10, 2015
Hmmm Lovely lilac di zi kwa jealous. cheesy

tonychristopher:

nwanyi ka ibe ya,

enenebe ukwu egbuo ewu
enenenbe ikpu ede cheque
nwanyi eji aga mba

nwanyi oma

nda ije

nne kedu ka imelu?
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by tonychristopher: 4:57pm On Mar 10, 2015
LovelyLilac:
M ga agwa nne m na I choro idori panti mu.

MAKA WHY? BIKO AGWA KWANA YA , ACHOGHI ONYE GA AGBA M OSE NA ONU AMU..BIKO

MANA IWE GI JUO OYI , KEDU PANTY INA EYI OBU G STRING KA OBU NKE ANA AKPO OBANTE

NDORIE PANTI GI, IDORIE PANTI M, HA NCHA SOKWA

NWANYI OMA
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by tonychristopher: 4:59pm On Mar 10, 2015
Peppyluv:

NNE, IKE GWURU..... LovelyLilac SIRI NA OGA AGWA NNE YA NA M CHORO IDOSA PANTI YA, M WERE JUO YA SI NA OBU G STRING KA OBU OBANTE...OBURU G STRING, NKE AHU ABUGHI OKWU, MANA OBANTE...HMMMM

MADU KA ANA ARIA

LovelyLilac NWAMAMA, BIA NNETE M NKA
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 5:02pm On Mar 10, 2015
Lol! Jisi Ike.
tonychristopher:

odkwa mma

m hapu okwu ikpu, m kwuo gini, okwanu ikpu ka nwoke ji agbo mgbo

mana udo di
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by tonychristopher: 5:05pm On Mar 10, 2015
LovelyLilac:
Lol! Jisi Ike.

nne, muli ba, amu na ekene gi, ama m na onweghi ajo nwa na arunye gi aka na ime ohu...

kedu ka eke si ana anwu?

ama m na udo di?

onwere onye na enye gi nsogbu?

ezuru m ka eme
amu m zukwara ke eme

ihe men bu na ukwu bu eke

uwa bu obioma
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 5:18pm On Mar 10, 2015
Nsogbu adighi. Dalu so. Amubeghi one ahu choro irunye mu aka n'ohu. smiley
tonychristopher:

nne, muli ba, amu na ekene gi, ama m na onweghi ajo nwa na arunye gi aka na ime ohu...

kedu ka eke si ana anwu?

ama m na udo di?

onwere onye na enye gi nsogbu?

ezuru m ka eme
amu m zukwara ke eme

ihe men bu na ukwu bu eke

uwa bu obioma

1 Like

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 5:26pm On Mar 10, 2015
O kwa panti mu na ewuzi! cheesy
Peppyluv:

1 Like

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by tonychristopher: 5:31pm On Mar 10, 2015
LovelyLilac:
Nsogbu adighi. Dalu so. Amubeghi one ahu choro irunye mu aka n'ohu. smiley

hia,rapu okwu omalicha nwa
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by nwadiuko1(m): 12:25am On Mar 11, 2015
okoyemike:
Lion is Agu

Leopard is Odum. not the other way round
what of tiger?
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by pazienza(m): 3:08pm On Mar 11, 2015
Enwe= ?

Utobo= ?

Uzodimgba=?

Adaka= ?

Or are these dialectical differences?
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by bigfrancis21: 6:52pm On Mar 11, 2015
pazienza:
Enwe= ?

Utobo= ?

Uzodimgba=?

Adaka= ?

Or are these dialectical differences?

Enwe= Monkey

Utobo= Hippopotamus or Otobo or Akum.

Uzodimgba = Ozo or Ozo di mgba = Baboon (baboon, lord of wrestling)

Adaka= Chimpanzee.
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 7:39pm On Mar 11, 2015
Ozodimgba is the baboon?

What would be the name for the gorilla?

I thought the term dimgba (champion wrestler) fit the gorilla better with its well-built powerful look.
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by simdam500(m): 11:36pm On Mar 11, 2015
LovelyLilac: Otu gi ahu efuola ohia! *in Sam loco's voice* otu gi anaa! Lol. You 0tu has gone to the land of no return, my sentiments exactly.
errr ma'am dunno/understand a thing cry

oh lemme remind u *whisper* am amu. And again i see u run this thread. How does typing in igbo language feels? Lol

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa / 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures / 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.