Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,383 members, 7,781,086 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:36 AM

Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language - Culture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language (151298 Views)

Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched / Canadian Terry Duguid In Igbo Attire During Festival. Photos / Names Of Animals,insects And Birds In Hausa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 12:29am On Mar 12, 2015
simdam500:
errr ma'am dunno/understand a thing cry

oh lemme remind u *whisper* am amu. And again i see u run this thread. How does typing in igbo language feels? Lol
must you understand everything? undecided well, It feels epic writing in Igbo, I count it a blessing. Enjoy the rest of your day Amu...lol.
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by bigfrancis21: 5:48am On Mar 12, 2015
Radoillo:
Ozodimgba is the baboon?

What would be the name for the gorilla?

I thought the term dimgba (champion wrestler) fit the gorilla better with its well-built powerful look.

I often confuse names a lot, even though in my head I know the actual thing.
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by odumchi: 9:22am On Mar 12, 2015
pazienza:
Enwe= ?

Utobo= ?

Uzodimgba=?

Adaka= ?

Or are these dialectical differences?

In my dialect, Adaka is baboon, Ozodimgba is chimpanzee, and Enwe refers to lower species of monkeys. There's also something that we call Uzontuzo or Eberetete, which my grandmother described to me as a species of forest gorilla that's notorious for attacking humans and stealing their possessions. I believe Utobo is a dialectal variation of the word for gorilla. Not too sure, though.
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Gboliwe: 6:33pm On Mar 12, 2015
odumchi:

In my dialect, Adaka is baboon, Ozodimgba is chimpanzee, and Enwe refers to lower species of monkeys. There's also something that we call Uzontuzo or Eberetete, which my grandmother described to me as a species of forest gorilla that's notorious for attacking humans and stealing their possessions. I believe Utobo is a dialectal variation of the word for gorilla. Not too sure, though.

There's a masquerade in Nachi (Enugu) state called Utobo. I found the sound of the name so funny. My aunty told me Utobo is a gorilla in my dialect.
That one is Ozontozo is the hugest/biggest form of gorilla

1 Like

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by jnrbayano(m): 8:38am On Mar 13, 2015
Other animals:

Duck/Swan =Obogwu

Soldier Ant =Agbusi igwe/Ichekiliche

Red Ant =Eluelu

Termite =Akika

Winged-Termite =Aku mkpu

Caterpillar =Obubuu

Sugar Ant =Olachaa Sugar/Ikikele mkpo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Okeikpu(m): 10:05am On Mar 23, 2015
adim oyi. Ndi k'imeru? Ihe mu ana amasi gi? wink
Udo di my dear! Maka eziokwu, ife gi n'amasi mu nke ukwú ~(^з^)-♡
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 2:43am On Mar 29, 2015
okoyemike:
Lion is Agu

Leopard is Odum. not the other way round

Nope, totally wrong.

Odum is lion.

Agu is leopard.
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by jnrbayano(m): 5:15am On Mar 29, 2015
chuna1985:

Nope, totally wrong.

Odum is lion.

Agu is leopard.

Correct.

Tiger is Agu too
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 2:24pm On Apr 05, 2015
jnrbayano:

Correct.

Tiger is Agu too

Nope, Tiger is an Asian cat and does not exist naturally in Nigeria. Our forefathers never saw a tiger so they can't give it a name .

1 Like

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 2:26pm On Apr 05, 2015
odumchi:

Adaka is chimpanzee , ozodimgba is gorilla , Utobo is Baboo.

1 Like

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by jnrbayano(m): 2:41pm On Apr 05, 2015
chuna1985:

Nope, Tiger is an Asian cat and does not exist naturally in Nigeria. Our forefathers never saw a tiger so they can't give it a name .

You can't prove that none weren't caught and kept away in captivity.

I reckon that all wild cats are called "Agu" except the Lion which is called "Odum"

I guess that the name differed from other wild cats because of it's looks characterised by the mane on it's neck region.

Tiger is Agu!
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 2:50pm On Apr 05, 2015
jnrbayano:

You can't prove that none weren't caught and kept away in captivity.

I reckon that all wild cats are called "Agu" except the Lion which is called "Odum"

I guess that the name differed from other wild cats because of it's looks characterised by the mane on it's neck region.

Tiger is Agu!

Where was the tiger caught and kept in captivity ?

Did our ancestors travel to Asia to catch tigers and bring dem back to Nigeria?
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by jnrbayano(m): 3:20pm On Apr 05, 2015
chuna1985:

Where was the tiger caught and kept in captivity ?

Did our ancestors travel to Asia to catch tigers and bring dem back to Nigeria?

I didn't say they did, I only said that you can't prove they didn't.

Can you?
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 7:29pm On Apr 05, 2015
jnrbayano:

I didn't say they did, I only said that you can't prove they didn't.

Can you?

please pick interest in animals so u can learn well. All animals have places they exist. For example, Bison does not exist in Africa, our ancestors can't name it, they never saw it .
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by jnrbayano(m): 7:39pm On Apr 05, 2015
chuna1985:

please pick interest in animals so u can learn well. All animals have places they exist. For example, Bison does not exist in Africa, our ancestors can't name it, they never saw it .

My people call wild cats except lion "Agu"

This is very simple!
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 8:34pm On Apr 05, 2015
jnrbayano:

My people call wild cats except lion "Agu"

This is very simple!

What ur pipo call it don't matter, it can only be what it is ...Ur pipo can call it zebra if they like.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by jnrbayano(m): 8:55pm On Apr 05, 2015
chuna1985:

What ur pipo call it don't matter, it can only be what it is ...Ur pipo can call it zebra if they like.

What is Tiger in Igbo?
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by bigfrancis21: 11:23pm On Apr 05, 2015
jnrbayano:

What is Tiger in Igbo?

Tiger has no specific name of old in Igbo language for our forefathers never saw tigers around them. They would not name an animal they never encountered, thus no native Igbo name for tiger except we want to invent one nowadays for it.
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 10:07am On Apr 06, 2015
jnrbayano:

What is Tiger in Igbo?

Just like we don't have bison in Igbo, we don't have polar bear in Igbo, same way we don't have Tiger in IGBO
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by jnrbayano(m): 10:13am On Apr 06, 2015
chuna1985:

Just like we don't have bison in Igbo, we don't have polar bear in Igbo, same way we don't have Tiger in IGBO

"Agu" is okay for me!
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by bishop4life(m): 10:29pm On Apr 07, 2015
bigfrancis21:

No. Agu is leopard and Lion is Odum. Ever heard of the statement, 'Odum Ebo Judea'? Translated in English as 'Lion of the tribe of Judea'? Or going by your translation, 'Tiger of the tribe of Judea'??

Tigers never existed in Africa but mainly in Asia (China, India etc.) and thus our ancestors never saw them to give them a name and were only recently imported to Africa.

nna mehn i just want to ask . translate agu and ediabali in english
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by bigfrancis21: 10:57pm On Apr 07, 2015
bishop4life:

nna mehn i just want to ask . translate agu and ediabali in english

Agu = leopard.
Ediabani = african civet.

Ediabali could not be tiger given that the name, ediabali, itself refers to an animal that is active at night (edi abani) and sleeps throughout most of the daytime. Of course, everyone knows the tiger isn't a nocturnal animal, hence it cannot be ediabali. Our ancestors barely saw tigers live to have named it, thus 'agu' cannot refer to tiger. Our ancestors actually encountered lions and leopards.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 11:05pm On Apr 07, 2015
jnrbayano:

"Agu" is okay for me!

U can call Tiger Ozodimgba for all i care.
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 9:59am On Apr 10, 2015
Radoillo:

I believe ozodimgba is the gorilla, and adaka is the chimp. Eke is the python. What our people sometimes call a boa constrictor is just the python. Boa constructors are a related but distinct species which are found in the Americas. Anacondas are of course not native to our parts.

Technically, u can call any large snake that coils/strangles before they swallow a Boa constrictor
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by kingstony2k(m): 7:53pm On May 07, 2015
grin grin
J3nnyluv:
So does dat mean u re buyin the ewe for me?
gringringrin
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by kingstony2k(m): 7:56pm On May 07, 2015
tonychristopher:

NOOOO.... MONITOR LIZARD IS CALLED NGWERE AWO IN MY PLACE OF ANAMBRA

Amaghi ihe ndi mbamiri igbo na akpo ya mana anyi nwa bu side nnewi south na agbo monitor lizard ngwere awo while croc anyi na akpo ya agu iyi ]

kedu ife ichere nna?

Monitor lizard- is ulor/uloh-ngwele aghuli is alligator
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by tonychristopher: 8:01pm On May 07, 2015
kingstony2k:

Monitor lizard- is ulor/uloh-ngwele aghuli is alligator

Asi

I know what I am saying
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by kingstony2k(m): 11:53pm On Jul 31, 2015
J3nnyluv:
So does dat mean u re buyin the ewe for me?
come to madam Okoros bar.My treat jenny is I ewu and ewe u shall eat and drink palmwine
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by ROYALD(m): 12:21am On Aug 01, 2015
Lion is Agu

Tiger is Odum

That is why our people used to say Odum na egbu Agu
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by jnrbayano(m): 8:25am On Aug 01, 2015
ROYALD:
Lion is Agu

Tiger is Odum

That is why our people used to say Odum na egbu Agu

"Odum egbo Judah."

Lion of the tribe of Judah.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures / Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa / Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.