Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,962 members, 7,803,184 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 10:56 AM

Nigerian Native Names And Their Meanings - Culture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian Native Names And Their Meanings (102381 Views)

Hilarious "ISHAN" Adage And Their Meanings / Nigeria Pidgin Proverbs & Their Meanings / Urhobo Names And Their Meanings. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Native Names And Their Meanings by sylve11: 6:23pm On Mar 10, 2020
JoeCutie:
The Op says "Nigerian Native Names", and not " Jaw-breaking Greek Native Names". tongue cheesy

grin cool
Re: Nigerian Native Names And Their Meanings by sylve11: 6:34pm On Mar 10, 2020
CHM11:

Safe journey na name again?...Na where she dey go?

grin cool
Re: Nigerian Native Names And Their Meanings by nlPoster: 6:36pm On Mar 10, 2020
Yoruba:

Ade, Oba, Akin, Oye, Oba are all indicatives of native aristocracy (nobility).
Re: Nigerian Native Names And Their Meanings by holicupp(m): 9:57pm On Mar 11, 2020
sanc2s:
Ugochukwu means Gods pride. Not Gods grace. God's grace is Ebere Chukwu- Gods grace or Gods mercy

is amarachukwu
Re: Nigerian Native Names And Their Meanings by sylve11: 8:45am On Mar 16, 2020

Falila is a shorten form of Falilat and ketan means to have bow leg. Joined together we have Falila have bow legs grin

Lol grin cool
Re: Nigerian Native Names And Their Meanings by steptor: 12:41pm On Nov 20, 2021
[ :Dquote author=LovelyLilac post=31538615] Please what do these names mean:
Obukhome, Igbunu, Uyoyo, Oghenecaro, oghenemena, oghale. Obaro, okeoghene, oghenevwede, oghenemero, akpobome, ojevwe, omosefe, ejoke, ovwo, voke...
Are they all Urhobo or are the both Isoko and Urhobo names.

are u an urhobo?btw am isoko !uyoyou-love,oghenekaro-God first,oghenemena-my God,oghale-blessing,okeoghene-gift of God,oghenewevde-God's own day,obaro-progress or success, omoefe-child is wealth,ovoke,everyone with his time or destiny,orezi-my beloveth or desire,olezi-psalms, odomero-its eneough for me,enifome-what befits me,elo-bright,eloho-loftiness,onoriode-who knws tomorrow,orobo oghene-is in Gods hand,othuke-my helper,oruaro oghene-glory of God,aruoriwho-grace,orhowo-faith,emamuzou-good destiny igbunu-miracle
etc grin

Rounds of applause for this wonderful explanation. what is Othuke in Igbo? since it's my helper, my pillar and my back what can it translated to an Igbo name?
Re: Nigerian Native Names And Their Meanings by lte987: 7:12am On Sep 25, 2022
Anyway - again...please can anyone shed some light on the name and Urhobo meaning of AKPOHWOFADAYEN?

I know AKPO refers to life / world...but cannot find any reference/link/meaning or explanation to the rest of the name...

i seem to find info of the name in parts like AKPO = life/world then OHWO = roughly/loosely means kind of 'provides' but nothing for FADAYEN at all!!

I was told once that the significance of the name means something like 'the world is jealous of you'? but that is not it literal translation

can anyone help

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization / Ooni Ogunwusi Wears Aare Crown For The First Time (photo) / Banyankole Tribe Where Bride's Aunt Has Sex With Groom To Test Sexual Prowess

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.