Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,876 members, 7,802,817 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:32 PM

How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad (29265 Views)

Star Struck? 5 Best Places To Spot A Nigerian Celebrity In Lagos / 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by Nobody: 11:22am On Mar 11, 2015
ksmiles:
Nigerians are unique people with unusual habits. We are everywhere from United Kingdom to Saudi Arabia. (We no dey carry last!) However, we tend to stand out from other people wherever we go. We don’t need to wrap ourselves with our “green white green’ flag before people can identify us. People don’t need to ask, “Are you a Nigerian”; they just say “You are from Nigeria!”. Well, that is not a bad thing; in fact I love it when people instantly identify me as a citizen of Africa’s big apple.

Nigerians are very easy to stereotype. Here are 8 ways to spot a Nigerian abroad:

1. Our traditional attires are very unique
2. Nigerians are very loud
3. We are very flamboyant
4. Nigerians love Football
5. Our passports are green in colour
6. Pidgin English is our signature
7. Nigerians love Owanbe Parties
8. We are ‘selfie’ enthusiasts

Source: http://www.travelstart.com.ng/blog/8-ways-to-spot-a-nigerian-abroad/

Do you Agree?

Lol grin cheesy
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by ElFenomeno1: 11:23am On Mar 11, 2015
GboyegaD:
No I do not agree with you for the following reasons:
We are not loud people.
Most Nigerians are lousy and garrulous.
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by ribbit: 11:28am On Mar 11, 2015
sweetbaby22:
You are so right. However, to a great extent it applies mostly to Yoruba's abroad. No offence lovely Yoruba people wink. You must spot them if they are around you esp. No. 2,3, 6&7. On the bus, Train station, Peckham and Woolwich in London is their second home especially the hair dressers grin. One day a lady walked* up to me and spoke Yoruba, and they think every black person abroad is from Yoruba grin.

I was like excuse me undecided

Straight up Rivers babe please................... cheesy
clap for your self... Straight up river mumu feeling funky cheesy
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by seedorfg(m): 11:29am On Mar 11, 2015
nigerian are like flood always showing sighns were evere they go or imigrate, omo naija ni mi
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by GentleToks(m): 11:30am On Mar 11, 2015
GboyegaD:
No I do not agree with you for the following reasons:

How many times do people wear native attire abroad?
We are not loud people.
We don't hold or passports everywhere we go.
Leanne are not popular for people to know I am Nigerian.

We are loud my friend, we are loud does not necessarily mean that we are screaming on top of our voice. It could be your swag or combinations of your clothes with shoes.

It has happened to me on several occasions at work, the moment i get to a new working environment, my instinct always pick my fellow Nigerians out; it has never failed me.

I normally looked around and trust me, I always pick Nigerians out; most especially Nigerian ladies; they have got this special swag in terms of their dressing, pronunciation of words when they see handsome dudes and of course their walking style but ladies from other Africa countries will be looking at you as if you are Dezel Washington. However, Nigerian ladies will never give u that pleasure of feeling funky abt yourself; they ll look at you as if you have got this same look as Obasanjo even though they are looking forward to meet you.

Nigerian guys have always stand out among others as far back as 16AD. Here in UK, when u see a mumu guy that is being used at work or in School by all these tiny tiny girls, trust me, the guy is not a Nigerian. However, if you see a guy holding down some babes either at work or School, straight up, that is a Nigerian.

5 Likes

Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by smakati(m): 11:30am On Mar 11, 2015
If you think you can identify me with this, then you are on a loooooong thing. From personal experience, the only way to identify a nigerian is to speak broken english or a nigerian language around them, its either they smile or give you a knowing look. works every time
ksmiles:
Nigerians are unique people with unusual habits. We are everywhere from United Kingdom to Saudi Arabia. (We no dey carry last!) However, we tend to stand out from other people wherever we go. We don’t need to wrap ourselves with our “green white green’ flag before people can identify us. People don’t need to ask, “Are you a Nigerian”; they just say “You are from Nigeria!”. Well, that is not a bad thing; in fact I love it when people instantly identify me as a citizen of Africa’s big apple.

Nigerians are very easy to stereotype. Here are 8 ways to spot a Nigerian abroad:

Do you Agree?

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by Nobody: 11:45am On Mar 11, 2015
ksmiles:

Do you Agree?
I disagree
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by Pholayemi(f): 11:53am On Mar 11, 2015
I totally disagree.
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by Prettiepearlz(f): 12:03pm On Mar 11, 2015
Why is it that some people are will use any slightest opportunity given to bash some tribes,I must confess such people are a disgrace to themselves and this country as a whole. God who created different tribes and made us one in a country is not a stupid God. Be it Yoruba,Igbo,Hausa, we are one and we are all NIGERIANS,we are human and we all have our bad sides,yes! the Igbos,Yorubas,Hausas all have all their flaws,that doesn't mean we should take joy in our flaws and use it against ourselves instead of correcting each other with love. Please this is a forum where we have foreigners on it,let's not disgrace ourselves,I personally stopped checking Linda Ikeji's blog site because of this same TRIBALISM. Let's put a stop to it and be enlightened and stop taking our Ignorances for Intelligence. Thank you and God bless us all. Amen
Note: This is not referring to anyone in particular but to all of us,let's speak to our consciences if we have one.

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by ygenius: 12:03pm On Mar 11, 2015
Ode oshi........is patience jonathan loud?
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by UncleJudax(m): 12:04pm On Mar 11, 2015
free2ryhme:
I am suspecting your post are filled with unconfirmed lies
If his lies are unconfirmed, wouldn't that mean he is saying the truth? Your statement is kinda illogical.

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by charliesco1(m): 12:04pm On Mar 11, 2015
This is what I'll term FALLACY OF GENERALIZATION..
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by ogbonoeba: 12:05pm On Mar 11, 2015
ksmiles:

Do you Agree?

No sir, I do not.
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by Nobody: 12:07pm On Mar 11, 2015
ureach:
I disagree... those are warri and yoruba traits

What is Warri about the above listed undecided better mind yourself
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by ogbonoeba: 12:07pm On Mar 11, 2015
kennygee:
They are excessive shoppers.

The kind that buys everything, you wonder if the world is ending.

I live on a budget
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by ogbonoeba: 12:09pm On Mar 11, 2015
joahonsi:
naaaa.. i don't agree. not all of us are loud or move about with our passports and also we don't always dress in our native attires

I prefer the blue passport, no need for a green one. People only realize I'm nigerian by my name.
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by Plus234(m): 12:12pm On Mar 11, 2015
Nigerian abroad are loud, some time the landlord or agent refuse to give them house because of there to much noise
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by Nobody: 12:14pm On Mar 11, 2015
DeeCherry:
they try to form fake british/american accent like.

*how u dun?
*shey u feel good?
*hey nigga?

shocked
'Hey nigga' is my very own greetings for my very buddy girlfriends.... grin
Then there is hope that I will soon have british/American accent cool lol

Abroad here I come cheesy
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by Krucifax(m): 12:22pm On Mar 11, 2015
IYANGBALI:
no mind those hediots

MODs should not be hypocrites. If it's okay to hide comments that were disparaging to the Yoruba tribe why leave the ones that are disparaging to the Igbo tribe? Young people like yourselves should not be secretly promoting tribalism it's just shameful.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Accident At Ozubulu Without Any Fatalities, Anambra (Photo) / Journey From Lagos To Anambra By Road In Pictures / Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut 12am Thursday - Details

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.