Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,832 members, 7,802,666 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:30 PM

How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad (29264 Views)

Star Struck? 5 Best Places To Spot A Nigerian Celebrity In Lagos / 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by MymothersKeeper(f): 12:24pm On Mar 11, 2015
gbosaa:

Wtf. angry....who wrote this..

Apart from football, every other thing above is rubbish..

Not every Nigerian wear native attire.. The only native attire I would wear is my Isi-agu and I'm yet to get one..
We are not loud,
Not only Nigerians have green passports, Pakistanis and Saudis do as well..
Pidgin?? Maybe

Owambe? Wtf..

no mind op, maybe he meant how to spot his own loud azz tribe pscheww
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by Redman44(m): 12:25pm On Mar 11, 2015
You guys should see my own list of how to spot a Nigerian Abroad. sad shocked

1. The confidence of Nigerians abroad is very obvious when you come across them. It does not matter the kind of job they are doing. They are just confident and always searching for better opportunities. Most other Africans are often timid or easily controlled by white people.

Nigerians are highly suspicious of one another in Europe and America. I've noticed that other Africans are friendlier towards people from their country.
3. Nigerians are very religious even if they have low moral standards. Nigerians take church attendance seriously abroad cool cool. Walk on the streets in Europe on a Sunday Morning or Afternoon, and the gaily dressed blacks you will see have a 98% chance of being Nigerian.
4. Nigerians also work against the progress of themselves abroad, especially if they work in the same location. Our Naija peeps rat on their fellow Nigerian colleagues just to stop them from getting specific shifts etc. We need to stop this behaviour. Cheers.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by drnoel: 12:29pm On Mar 11, 2015
GboyegaD:
No I do not agree with you for the following reasons:

How many times do people wear native attire abroad?
We are not loud people.
We don't hold or passports everywhere we go.
Leanne are not popular for people to know I am Nigerian.

Pls tell this OP that he got it completely wrong this time. All the reasons he gave are all wrong.
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by quickly: 12:39pm On Mar 11, 2015
ksmiles:
Nigerians are unique people with unusual habits. We are everywhere from United Kingdom to Saudi Arabia. (We no dey carry last!) However, we tend to stand out from other people wherever we go. We don’t need to wrap ourselves with our “green white green’ flag before people can identify us. People don’t need to ask, “Are you a Nigerian”; they just say “You are from Nigeria!”. Well, that is not a bad thing; in fact I love it when people instantly identify me as a citizen of Africa’s big apple.

Nigerians are very easy to stereotype. Here are 8 ways to spot a Nigerian abroad:

1. Our traditional attires are very unique
2. Nigerians are very loud
3. We are very flamboyant
4. Nigerians love Football
5. Our passports are green in colour
6. Pidgin English is our signature
7. Nigerians love Owanbe Parties
8. We are ‘selfie’ enthusiasts

Source: http://www.travelstart.com.ng/blog/8-ways-to-spot-a-nigerian-abroad/

Do you Agree?

As a nigerian man u are assumed to be a criminal

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by pautex: 12:56pm On Mar 11, 2015
Allureoftheseas:
OP you have not been outside nigeria. so shut the Bleep up.
lwkmd.

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by Litmus: 12:58pm On Mar 11, 2015
ksmiles:
Nigerians are unique people with unusual habits. We are everywhere from United Kingdom to Saudi Arabia. (We no dey carry last!) However, we tend to stand out from other people wherever we go. We don’t need to wrap ourselves with our “green white green’ flag before people can identify us. People don’t need to ask, “Are you a Nigerian”; they just say “You are from Nigeria!”. Well, that is not a bad thing; in fact I love it when people instantly identify me as a citizen of Africa’s big apple.

Nigerians are very easy to stereotype. Here are 8 ways to spot a Nigerian abroad:

Do you Agree?

In relation to the observation of traditional attire, take a look at the lad in the Nigerian colors - simply breathtaking.

Nigerians should be proud. We seem to have something destined for greatness if we remain united, work hard at it with great commitment. I know that excluded Africans will want to criticize but truth is some nations just have something special, some unquantifiable quantity. Take for instance America, Britain, Japan, China, India, Jamaica...why is it so many inventors just happen to be Scottish....

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by Tymax(m): 1:06pm On Mar 11, 2015
DeeCherry:
they try to form fake british/american accent like.

*how you dun
*shey u feel good?
*hey nigga?
cheesy grin cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by ghettodreamz(m): 1:12pm On Mar 11, 2015
ksmiles:

[s]1. Our traditional attires are very unique[/s] Big lie, once in a blue moon things.
2. Nigerians are very loud Constitute nuisance anywhere, OYO
3. We are very flamboyant True - 50/50
4. Nigerians love Football You watch football match inside your rented apt.
5. Our passports are green in colour When has a passport turned to an advertisement banner that you display everywhere you go?
6. Pidgin English is our signature True --- 70/100
7. Nigerians love Owanbe Parties You can party harder all you want, provided you have no responsibilities back home or you have no aspiration of being an achiever
8. We are ‘selfie’ enthusiasts Except if you are a first-timer or a girl on a mission.When all men are husling money,na selfie go pay your bills?

Do you Agree?
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by Stevano007(m): 1:14pm On Mar 11, 2015
Op.. Tell me when you get discharged
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by DeeCherry(f): 1:15pm On Mar 11, 2015
favoured234:

shocked
'Hey nigga' is my very own greetings for my very buddy girlfriends.... grin
Then there is hope that I will soon have british/American accent cool lol

Abroad here I come cheesy

a big Amen to that. hope ure working on ur laptop too
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by DeeCherry(f): 1:16pm On Mar 11, 2015
Tymax:

cheesy grin cheesy cheesy

shey u doing fine grin
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by kelobestline(m): 1:17pm On Mar 11, 2015
Ode
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by DeeCherry(f): 1:17pm On Mar 11, 2015
experimentist:
grin

Nigerian girls own dey annoy me pass?

lol! we dey get our own accent before travelling sef.

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by loomer: 1:23pm On Mar 11, 2015
GboyegaD:

We are not loud people.

Him just wan let us know say him de abroad, no mind am
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by Tymax(m): 1:27pm On Mar 11, 2015
DeeCherry:

shey u doing fine grin
cheesy
I do. Shey you too? grin
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by GboyegaD(m): 2:20pm On Mar 11, 2015
GentleToks:

We are loud my friend, we are loud does not necessarily mean that we are screaming on top of our voice. It could be your swag or combinations of your clothes with shoes.

It has happened to me on several occasions at work, the moment i get to a new working environment, my instinct always pick my fellow Nigerians out; it has never failed me.

I normally looked around and trust me, I always pick Nigerians out; most especially Nigerian ladies; they have got this special swag in terms of their dressing, pronunciation of words when they see handsome dudes and of course their walking style but ladies from other Africa countries will be looking at you as if you are Dezel Washington. However, Nigerian ladies will never give u that pleasure of feeling funky abt yourself; they ll look at you as if you have got this same look as Obasanjo even though they are looking forward to meet you.

Nigerian guys have always stand out among others as far back as 16AD. Here in UK, when u see a mumu guy that is being used at work or in School by all these tiny tiny girls, trust me, the guy is not a Nigerian. However, if you see a guy holding down some babes either at work or School, straight up, that is a Nigerian.

It is easier as a Nigerian to spot another most times because of our looks and the fact that often times, we try to greet every black people that come our way. Most people think Africans are Nigerians and that is why they will always ask if we are Nigerians.
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by kraftyiyk: 2:43pm On Mar 11, 2015
here in Asia, every Nigerians character depends on the individual... let's say it's like a continuation of how you behave when you were back home but there are few exceptions,...
**the loudmouthed Nigerians are always those who managed to make it across from their villages.. I mean the village championships, oboy!!! these people are also the selfie champions!

many a times people do mistake some of us for African americans, while these loud mouths are easily identified as Nigerians.. Lol too bad .
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by GentleToks(m): 3:05pm On Mar 11, 2015
GboyegaD:

It is easier as a Nigerian to spot another most times because of our looks and the fact that often times, we try to greet every black people that come our way. Most people think Africans are Nigerians and that is why they will always ask if we are Nigerians.

You are right. If there are countries in heaven after death, I ll gladly pick Nigeria over others anytime anyday. I love my country.
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by otipoju(m): 3:08pm On Mar 11, 2015
It is the natural confidence that oozes from us.
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by Nobody: 3:14pm On Mar 11, 2015
OP, what the fvck is this? I'm a Nigerian and I don't do any of what you just listed. I have friends here also who don't do any of them. Tho, in a social gathering of other Nigerian friends we speak pidgin English, but outside of that is a no-no.

White people here in my city just guess when they see a black guy, because Nigeria is the only country they've really ever heard about in Africa, only a small percentage of them know more.
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by Nobody: 3:31pm On Mar 11, 2015
Please change your mentality about how you see Nigeria. We have grown pass that.
ksmiles:

Do you Agree?
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by MzQueen(f): 3:55pm On Mar 11, 2015
Shey you feel good cheesy cheesy cheesy
DeeCherry:
they try to form fake british/american accent like.

*how u dun?
*shey u feel good?
*hey nigga?
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by 400billionman: 3:59pm On Mar 11, 2015
GboyegaD:

We are not loud people.

The poster really goofed as expected.
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by RaeMystix: 4:08pm On Mar 11, 2015
Wrong!!!.... I can spot a Nigerian only by use of language/ accent.....Atire?...Not really, many other Africans do wear similar clothing ( esp. French folks).
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by DeeCherry(f): 4:17pm On Mar 11, 2015
MzQueen:
Shey you feel good cheesy cheesy cheesy

shey u alright? cheesy
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by MzQueen(f): 4:43pm On Mar 11, 2015
cheesy
DeeCherry:

shey u alright? cheesy
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by oc2fish: 4:57pm On Mar 11, 2015
Proudly Nija
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by ccaramel(f): 6:04pm On Mar 11, 2015
Only Number 2 is 100% correct.
So damn loud especially when they are on the phone. Seriously you don't have to yell for the other person to hear you.
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by otiigba1(m): 6:47pm On Mar 11, 2015
You have not met a Jamaican then, apart from the green passport
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by FEAO1985(m): 8:41pm On Mar 11, 2015
utter bollocks!! do you have a clue of the no of countries that use green on their passports ? 1 can count over 30. Most of your points isn't factual
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by Minet16(m): 11:28pm On Mar 11, 2015
Any body wey starch en clothes
Re: How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by Tats(m): 11:53pm On Mar 11, 2015
Nigerians abroad? ....Permanently talking on the phone and loud!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Accident At Ozubulu Without Any Fatalities, Anambra (Photo) / Journey From Lagos To Anambra By Road In Pictures / Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut 12am Thursday - Details

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.