Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,752 members, 7,806,068 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:56 AM

The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) (72756 Views)

Bank Verification Number (BVN) And Crowded Banks (photos) / 12 Things You Need To Know About Bank Verification Number (BVN) / Customers Queue For Bank Verification Number (BVN) In Dutse (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by funsho75(m): 7:58am On Mar 12, 2015
THE Bank Verification Number, BVN, is another important step the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, is using to strengthen the security of banking transactions and to ensure that fraudulent transactions are minimised, if not totally eliminated. The campaign is on, but the public may not realise its importance until it closes in June 2015.

Yet as the public embraces the initiative with enthusiasm, it should be aware that some fraudsters are trying to undermine the exercise by providing seemingly easier registration options for bank account holders. They request these details online and threaten that the account would be closed if the owner does not provide them the details. Their target is the account holder’s money. The best way of enrolling remains direct communication with one’s bank.

BVN uses biometric technology to register customers in the financial system. It records these physical features which are unique to individuals – fingerprints and the face. The record would be used to identify the person afterwards. Once a person’s biometrics have been recorded, and BVN issued the account would be accessed through BVN. The major objectives of the initiative are to protect bank customers, reduce fraud and strengthen the Nigerian banking system.

Biometric enrolment is helpful to people who cannot read and write. Their finger prints and pictures would serve the same purpose as signatures. Multiple account holders would be covered with a single registration in any of the banks where they have accounts.

BVN will help the banking system reduce situations where loan defaulters, for instance, move from one bank to the other and the banks extend new credits to them, without knowing their history. Banks would be able to track transactions across all banks in Nigeria with more ease.

As CBN implements the BVN initiative, it has to ensure the security of the data, from rogue bankers and also importantly from damage, as has been the experience with other sectors that engaged in biometric enrolments. It should also create measures to punish banks that might exploit the information they have to blackmail customers with whom they have disagreements.

BVN is a great initiative that would reduce illegal banking transactions and improve national financial intelligence gathering. The interests of account holders should be accorded importance so that their increased confidence in the banking system would improve the financial standing of banks. Customers will use banks more when they know that their transactions are safe. BVN offers vast opportunities to protect customers, banks and the entire financial system.

The CBN should enhance the security of BVN to protect the entire financial system. It should be on the watch for technologies to keep improving BVN capacities.
www.vanguardngr.com/2015/03/importance-of-bank-verification-number/

13 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by Nobody: 8:11am On Mar 12, 2015
This is the point of the entire post:

The major objectives of the initiative are to protect bank customers, reduce fraud and strengthen the Nigerian banking system.Biometric enrolment is helpful to people who cannot read and write. Their finger prints and pictures would serve the same purpose as signatures. Multiple account holders would be covered with a single registration in any of the banks where they have accounts. BVN will help the banking system reduce situations where loan defaulters, for instance, move from one bank to the other and the banks extend new credits to them, without knowing their history. Banks would be able to track transactions across all banks in Nigeria with more ease.

108 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by kentochi(m): 10:00am On Mar 12, 2015
With help of BVN your account is secured from those yahoo guys

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by Gboliwe: 8:38pm On Mar 15, 2015
Nigerians should be encouraged to go get their BVN. This is important. Why wait till June?

Obinoscopy, Ishilove please do the needful.

1 Like

Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by Adebayolove(m): 9:16pm On Mar 15, 2015
Go through the attached FAQ for more info on bvn

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by siegfried99(m): 9:40pm On Mar 15, 2015
Ok sir

Registered with GTB last year, will go back there soon for my BVN cool

1 Like

Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by BasseyJ(m): 9:41pm On Mar 15, 2015
Okay
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by Babyboy1986(m): 9:41pm On Mar 15, 2015
Ok
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by frodobee: 9:41pm On Mar 15, 2015
Will it recover the looted funds?

13 Likes

Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by Nobody: 9:41pm On Mar 15, 2015
What of guys who are not in the country

11 Likes

Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by AmakaDNB(f): 9:41pm On Mar 15, 2015
Very educative.

Been to DNB today? www.dnbstories.com
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by Nobody: 9:41pm On Mar 15, 2015
okay.

Meanwhile, I've wanted to be neutral in the support of the 2 main presidential candidates.

But I can't help saying
#Gej till 2019

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by simplemach(m): 9:41pm On Mar 15, 2015
Have done mine. But wait ooo! U mean say everybody account now go join to one? Nawaoooo.
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by dandydrey(m): 9:41pm On Mar 15, 2015
Ok

1 Like

Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by UncleSnr(m): 9:42pm On Mar 15, 2015
My only problem with it is that its time consuming.
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by davemike1(m): 9:42pm On Mar 15, 2015
av done mine So

Ma mind rest

DIE!!!!!
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by 1stola: 9:42pm On Mar 15, 2015
Ok.

SAI BUHARI.

12 Likes

Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by adanduka: 9:42pm On Mar 15, 2015
Seen this on FB before
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by DeCritique(m): 9:42pm On Mar 15, 2015
Okay
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by stepo707: 9:42pm On Mar 15, 2015
Well how long does it take before am issued a BVN.I registered 3weeks ago?
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by Nobody: 9:43pm On Mar 15, 2015
This verification stuff is just not necessary.

2 Likes

Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by Nobody: 9:44pm On Mar 15, 2015
I have done mine too. #TeamFBN

....buy 1GB MTN Data plan for N1,200 only. 30 days duration. Works in all devices (Andriod/iPhone, Phone or Modem). Also Convert Airtime to Cash (20% Processing Fee). Call: 08107873795. Thanks & God bless.

2 Likes

Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by saintfizzo(m): 9:44pm On Mar 15, 2015
For one who uses more than one bank... do I have to get BVN for each of my Bank accounts?
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by hedonistic: 9:45pm On Mar 15, 2015

THE Bank Verification Number, BVN, is another important step the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, is using to strengthen the security of banking transactions and to ensure that fraudulent transactions are minimised, if not totally eliminated. The campaign is on, but the public may not realise its importance until it closes in June 2015.

Funniest thing I have read this year. Even America's banking system loses billions of dollars every year to fraud (and our Naija boys - all the "elegushi spenders" and co - partake in this annual feast in the millions of dollars). If Fraudulent transactions have not been eliminated in the United States, it is laughable to even suggest that it is possible in Nigeria in the next 20 years. Get real.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by jimohibrahim(m): 9:45pm On Mar 15, 2015
no wonder
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by blackjack21(m): 9:46pm On Mar 15, 2015
This is the mark of the beast. You cannot buy or sell without it.
I beg you my brothers to be sober. Whoever trade his life to the beast will have no life from our lord Christ.
gringringrintongue

21:45:55
Sun, Mar 15, 2015

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by datguru: 9:46pm On Mar 15, 2015
Ok
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by ifeelgood: 9:46pm On Mar 15, 2015
We hear ooo. But how will this exercise detect government stolen money?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by angrybird007: 9:46pm On Mar 15, 2015
D
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by Nobody: 9:46pm On Mar 15, 2015
I have done mine. Cool move by the CBN

1 Like

Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by suptol(m): 9:46pm On Mar 15, 2015
I just hope this is not one of the ways those that are after the implementation of "The new world Order" are trying to get our details in other to control our finances? undecided

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Where To Buy Wholesale Cosmetic Products In Naija / These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira / Award Under The Growth And Employment (GEM) Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.