Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,870 members, 7,802,801 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:58 PM

If Nigeria Was To Divide.... - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If Nigeria Was To Divide.... (6665 Views)

Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce / Buhari:for Nigeria To Divide Now, It Is Better For All Of Us To Jump Into Sea / Breaking News: Northerners Threatens To Divide From Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by coldgate(f): 3:06pm On Mar 13, 2015
This country is so large and diverse. I just got thinking, what do you think would happen to the units if Nigeria were to be split into three autonomous areas of North, East and West?
Re: If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by 0nyegame(m): 3:08pm On Mar 13, 2015
Na u wan divide am...driver abeg speed up joor

1 Like

Re: If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by menix(m): 3:26pm On Mar 13, 2015
Brozz kindly hasten d division nd see for ursef..

Atleast everybody will wake up nd gear towards utilizing their potential..

2 Likes

Re: If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by DuchessLily(f): 3:28pm On Mar 13, 2015
Hmmm.... Pls let's not think abt it
Re: If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by coldgate(f): 3:33pm On Mar 13, 2015
Hypothetically though, what region do you think would be the worse off? Why? Can any of the units stand alone?
Re: If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by PedroJP(m): 3:55pm On Mar 13, 2015
coldgate:
Hypothetically though, what region do you think would be the worse off? Why? Can any of the units stand alone?

Why can't they stand alone ? What we need is to share power amongst geopolitical zones, each with their military setup. That way, we'll eventually answer our names peacefully.

2 Likes

Re: If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by Nobody: 3:57pm On Mar 13, 2015
This what we call...(in Chinua Achebe's voice) : Things Fall Apart
Re: If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by agileson: 3:57pm On Mar 13, 2015
coldgate:
This country is so large and diverse. I just got thinking, what do you think would happen to the units if Nigeria were to be split into three autonomous areas of North, East and West?

Personally I think its going to divide differently. I think what might happen is either some or all northern states above the middle belt get kicked out like Gideon orkar nearly did in 1990 and maybe the yorubas for always appeasing the fulani (no Yoruba man ever attempted to coup against the tribalistic north unlike every other ethnicity including northerners).

But if i play according to your scenario. The west will do pretty ok. They might have the smallest population or land due to Midwest probably joining East as well as the north potentially keeping kwara so they will have less population and be about to govern themselves well.

The East will do ok too but there might be growing pains due to mistrust for the igbos among other tribes until they recognize the true egalitarian nature of the igbo and realize that their destiny is truly in their own hands and its a great destiny.

The north will still be the same. Backward, tribalistic, feudal and foolish. There will be a constant trickle of refugees from the north to other countries every 3 or 4 years due to drought and jihadism until Chad, Niger and other countries start invading and pressing territorial claims and the global tragedy that is violent Islam continues.

8 Likes

Re: If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by codedguy1(m): 4:22pm On Mar 13, 2015
We don't exactly need to split, but we should have regional govts with one decentralised fed govt who would be responsible for just a few ministries, Agencies etc.

Just like how the england, Ireland, scotland and wales make up the uk with independent govts. Something in that manner.

There would be a National Assembly where members would come from the regions and all there welfare would be borne by their regions. So if the say 10 elected representative of the SW collect 5million naira per/M it would have nothing to do with reps from the SE if they decide to pay the reps 10million p/m because every region would be responsible for their resources only paying tax to the fed govt who uses it to maintain the few ministries like Foreign Affairs, Nigera armed forces, aviation etc. Regions would be responsible for things like education policies, health, agric, trade and investment (how u manage to attract FI to ur region is ur business) but remember that any foreign coy that a region attracts to its region would still have access to the Nigerian Market.

This will reduce the pressure at the center, regions can forge ahead by generating, transmitting and distributing electricity in their regions instead of this draconian policy we have now where if u generate electricity it must be attached to National grid and supplied somewhere else.

Every Region can stand alone and stand very well. We have the factors of production as we were thought in sch in abundance land, capital, labour and enterpreneurship. And who said regions can't do business with each other.

This something that can be worked out if SOME people will agrre.

2 Likes

Re: If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by ChristyG(f): 4:41pm On Mar 13, 2015
agileson:

Personally I think its going to divide differently. I think what might happen is either some or all northern states above the middle belt get kicked out like Gideon orkar nearly did in 1990 and maybe the yorubas for always appeasing the fulani (no Yoruba man ever attempted to coup against the tribalistic north unlike every other ethnicity including northerners).

But if i play according to your scenario. The west will do pretty ok. They might have the smallest population or land due to Midwest probably joining East as well as the north potentially keeping kwara so they will have less population and be about to govern themselves well.

The East will do ok too but there might be growing pains due to mistrust for the igbos among other tribes until they recognize the true egalitarian nature of the igbo and realize that their destiny is truly in their own hands and its a great destiny.

The north will still be the same. Backward, tribalistic, feudal and foolish. There will be a constant trickle of refugees from the north to other countries every 3 or 4 years due to drought and jihadism until Chad, Niger and other countries start invading and pressing territorial claims and the global tragedy that is violent Islam continues.
u know nothing about the the geography of nigeria,how can d west have d smallest land or population when oyo state alone is bigger than 3 of the 5 eastern states?u nothing nigga,#emptybrain

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by agileson: 4:49pm On Mar 13, 2015
ChristyG:
u know nothing about the the geography of nigeria,how can d west have d smallest land or population when oyo state alone is bigger than 3 of the 5 eastern states?u nothing nigga,#emptybrain

slowpoke, the former eastern region as the op hypothized has more than 5 states. #sadfool.
#hopelessilliterate.

8 Likes

Re: If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by agileson: 4:54pm On Mar 13, 2015
codedguy1:
We don't exactly need to split, but we should have regional govts with one decentralised fed govt who would be responsible for just a few ministries, Agencies etc.

Just like how the england, Ireland, scotland and wales make up the uk with independent govts. Something in that manner.

There would be a National Assembly where members would come from the regions and all there welfare would be borne by their regions. So if the say 10 elected representative of the SW collect 5million naira per/M it would have nothing to do with reps from the SE if they decide to pay the reps 10million p/m because every region would be responsible for their resources only paying tax to the fed govt who uses it to maintain the few ministries like Foreign Affairs, Nigera armed forces, aviation etc. Regions would be responsible for things like education policies, health, agric, trade and investment (how u manage to attract FI to ur region is ur business) but remember that any foreign coy that a region attracts to its region would still have access to the Nigerian Market.

This will reduce the pressure at the center, regions can forge ahead by generating, transmitting and distributing electricity in their regions instead of this draconian policy we have now where if u generate electricity it must be attached to National grid and supplied somewhere else.

Every Region can stand alone and stand very well. We have the factors of production as we were thought in sch in abundance land, capital, labour and enterpreneurship. And who said regions can't do business with each other.

What u might not know is that the english and the Scots fought wars for years before they had some peace. They even had one between themselves and france included called the hundred years war.

1 Like

Re: If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by raumdeuter: 4:58pm On Mar 13, 2015
If Nigeria would split, It wont be into 3

I see the SouthWest, North, Middlebelt, Niger Delta and Biafra coming out of it

Dont ever think some parts of the Middle belt would want to be bundled with the North or think Niger Delta would want to be bundled with the east

3 Likes

Re: If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by raumdeuter: 5:01pm On Mar 13, 2015
agileson:

slowpoke, the former eastern region as the op hypothized has more than 5 states. #sadfool.
#hopelessilliterate.

And you calling someone an illiterate doesnt know the old Western region also comprised of Edo and Delta states? or who is the illiterate now?

Thats the picture below, which is bigger west or east

[img]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/States_of_Nigeria#/media/File:Nigeria_1960-1963.png[/img]

3 Likes

Re: If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by agileson: 5:12pm On Mar 13, 2015
raumdeuter:

And you calling someone an illiterate doesnt know the old Western region also comprised of Edo and Delta states? or who is the illiterate now?

Fool, first of all, i never said edo and delta were in old eastern.You are the dunce that said the old eastern is made up of only 5 present eastern states. I'm no longer going to reply you. Your foolishness is embarrassing.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by Mckennedy: 5:14pm On Mar 13, 2015
agileson:

i disagree with paragraphsad The East will do ok too but there might be growing pains due to mistrust for the igbos among other tribes until they recognize the true egalitarian nature of the igbo and realize that their destiny is truly in their own hands and its a great destiny ) and my question, where and when have you heard or read in the history that igbos fought ijaws, ibibio, or efik?,,and why do you ppl always like re-writting igbo history? its just like myself telling eguns and aworis that they ain't yorubas knowing fulling well that Lagos belongs to them. i think its time yorubas should face their own problems? you think Anioma, igbo uzo, and all Bendel igbos will listen to you yoruba again? the answer is capital NO having realized that what you told them during the civil war are all lies and didnt favor them in anyway rather it benefited the yorubas and Hausas while them selves who you are stealing their oil are rolling on poverty and polution.

3 Likes

Re: If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by Nobody: 5:35pm On Mar 13, 2015
Biafra will not include minority ethnic groups like Ijaws, the Niger Delta minority ethnic groups will likely form their own country or those that which to join Biafra will be welcomed, Biafraland will start from Igbanke in Edo State to all the entire communities in Benue State down to Akwa Ibom, CR and Rivers State.

If we should control our population by making a law that nobody should give birth to more that 2kids we will get things right immediately.

Middle Beltans will never allow to be submerged in the Arewa Republic and Kwara State is going to the Fulanis so Yolobass have already consider that area lost.

The may likely be more than 5 countries when Nigeria crumbles.

Mckennedy:

i disagree with paragraphsad The East will do ok too but there might be growing pains due to mistrust for the igbos among other tribes until they recognize the true egalitarian nature of the igbo and realize that their destiny is truly in their own hands and its a great destiny ) and my question, where and when have you heard or read in the history that igbos fought ijaws, ibibio, or efik?,,and why do you ppl always like re-writting igbo history? its just like myself telling eguns and aworis that they ain't yorubas knowing fulling well that Lagos belongs to them. i think its time yorubas should face their own problems? you think Anioma, igbo uzo, and all Bendel igbos will listen to you yoruba again? the answer is capital NO having realized that what you told them during the civil war are all lies and didnt favor them in anyway rather it benefited the yorubas and Hausas while them selves who you are stealing their oil are rolling on poverty and polution.
Re: If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by agileson: 6:10pm On Mar 13, 2015
Mckennedy:

First of all, am proudly igbo. Secondly, i didn't say Igbo s will try and marginalize them. Igbos are very individualistic and egalitarian which is a gift and a curse and our history and culture proves that. Tribalism is not our style. The problem is that history also shows that the Niger delta don't trust us completely evident by them selling us out during the war. Their tone has Changed a bit now because awusa man don show them pepper but as they say actions speak louder than words. When and if that time comes, we will see where they stand. I hope they see, remember and repay the dangerous efforts massob made today to help get their and our son Goodluck Azikiwe Jonathan re-elected.

1 Like

Re: If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by docsholz(m): 6:37pm On Mar 13, 2015
I can't wait
Re: If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by dolphinheart(m): 6:42pm On Mar 13, 2015
If naija splits, its definitely not gonna be in 3 places. One there will be the problem of allocation of land space in which the present political geography cannot stop.

The questions re
1 will the ijaws go with the southeast or form their own country with other states in the southsouth.
2. If the ijaws go with the southeast, will the ijaws in ondo go along with them, if the ijaws in ondo go with the southeast or south south, do you think the yoruba will agree to seed part of western nigeria because the ijaws own part of it?
3.if the ijaw people in ondo can go because Its their land and they can collectively decide which side to go, then I bet the same ideology/ method will be used for yorubas in kogi and kwara and edo state. And do you think the north and edo (that is if edo does not go with yoruba)will give that land away?.
4. Do you think the middle belt will follow the north ? That is like signing the death sentence. And do you think the north will allow the middle belt go like that?they will rather fight over it .
So unless it splits into many countries, there will be war where the winner decides what will be shared and what goes to the 3 dominant tribes .

Now let's look at what will happen after the problem of splitting into 3 have been solved.

The north will happily go back to its backward state(they have been doing it for a while and are good at it). They will go bck to their agriculture and make sure (due to hatred of the east and south) that the south buy their products through their noses.
Therefore the north will not be worse than it already is .

The west will exploit its oil , expand its industries to go into agric exports to cover for its lost of revenue.
New infrastructures like hospitals and roads does not have to be built immediately but old ones maintained.
So the west will not be as rich as they where before ,but it will be alright .
The west will probably still maintain its trading hub and still be a meeting point between the north, east and other west african countries.

Now the east will be rich , both with money and a lot of other problems .
They will have land problems, both for habitation and agric purposes. They already have erosion probs due to overuse of the land and will increase when most easterners migrate back to their homeland .if the money will be enough to solve the issue, we dnt know.
They will have political probs as their are many political groups hustling for power, but I believe that their will be enough money to calm things down.
They will have to rely heavily on food imports , expecialy the south , but money will be available to do that .

1 Like

Re: If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by Nobody: 6:54pm On Mar 13, 2015
codedguy1:

legends like enahoro and abraham adesanya and riwane and alot others had advocated for that and they are all dead with some murdered....only a split and deliverance of the south from the internal colonising,parasitic,cornering and blackmailing north,in connivance with some martian amalas,will savage and emancipate the people.. The north has been and is still the major problem of nigeria..every other region have to put put on hold in terms of development for them to catch up n fun:ny thing is that they keep going backwards:pretty medieval and backward...

2 Likes

Re: If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by codedguy1(m): 6:58pm On Mar 13, 2015
agileson:

What u might not know is that the english and the Scots fought wars for years before they had some peace. They even had one between themselves and france included called the hundred years war.

That's why I said in my last sentence, if SOME people will agree!

Its the North am actually refering to with that statement. If we truly sit down and deliberate on the issue of having a regional system in this country, which region do u think will resist the most. The ND will gladly agree, Biafra is a given, the yorubas have also been clamouring for it and I believe the middle belt will also grab the opportunity. The problem will be from the NE and NW. Another issue that will be sensitive will be the adjustment of boundaries to clearly define what belongs to who especially in states like kwara. There could be a state referendum as to where a state wants to belong. This will help places like itsekiri decide if the want to be in d ND or SW, the ND will also be clearly defined from Biafra.

I just believe if the system we run now will take us 70yrs to be like Dubai, if we practise true federalism, with regional slant, even if we will still quarrel initially amongst ourselves it would take us just 15-20yrs to be like a dubai ones the differences are sorted out.

By the time tinubu, Bode George, Falae, Oyinlola,Fayose,Mimiko, Fashola, Odumakin, OBJ, Fasheun, Adams, Afenifere, obas and the young intelligent technocrats in yoruba land sit down in one room to forge the oduduwa land forward they will come out with something good for the land even if there would initially be tension. They will sort themselves out because they control their resources. Likewise other regions.
Re: If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by dolphinheart(m): 7:52pm On Mar 13, 2015
agileson:

First of all, am proudly igbo. Secondly, i didn't say Igbo s will try and marginalize them. Igbos are very individualistic and egalitarian which is a gift and a curse and our history and culture proves that. Tribalism is not our style. The problem is that history also shows that the Niger delta don't trust us completely evident by them selling us out during the war. Their tone has Changed a bit now because awusa man don show them pepper but as they say actions speak louder than words. When and if that time comes, we will see where they stand. I hope they see, remember and repay the dangerous efforts massob made today to help get their and our son Goodluck Azikiwe Jonathan re-elected.
Re: If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by meforyou1(m): 8:09pm On Mar 13, 2015
coldgate:
the region that will be worst hit is the north central. The Christain states of benue, plateau and taraba, and christain populated areas southern gombe, southern kaduna, nassarawa, Niger and christain minorities in the north generally.
Re: If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by agileson: 8:22pm On Mar 13, 2015
meforyou1:
the region that will be worst hit is the north central. The Christain states of benue, plateau and taraba, and christain populated areas southern gombe, southern kaduna, nassarawa, Niger and christain minorities in the north generally.
Yeah, this is going to be the huge question.
Re: If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by Nobody: 9:02pm On Mar 13, 2015
at the bolded what East have to do is to control population and promote highrise residential abodes to promote land economics and prudent management of it. The reason why Ibadan and Kano are regarded as big cities is because they are not good in land managment, most of the houses in kano and ibadan are bungalows or one storey buildings in a 200ft by 200ft plots of land but in Onicha most of the houses are high rise resdiential bulidnings of 3,4 and 5 storey buildings clustered together in 100ft by 50ft plots of land.
East wont have problem if they control birth rate and land onwership

dolphinheart:
If naija splits, its definitely not gonna be in 3 places. One there will be the problem of allocation of land space in which the present political geography cannot stop.

The questions re
1 will the ijaws go with the southeast or form their own country with other states in the southsouth.
2. If the ijaws go with the southeast, will the ijaws in ondo go along with them, if the ijaws in ondo go with the southeast or south south, do you think the yoruba will agree to seed part of western nigeria because the ijaws own part of it?
3.if the ijaw people in ondo can go because Its their land and they can collectively decide which side to go, then I bet the same ideology/ method will be used for yorubas in kogi and kwara and edo state. And do you think the north and edo (that is if edo does not go with yoruba)will give that land away?.
4. Do you think the middle belt will follow the north ? That is like signing the death sentence. And do you think the north will allow the middle belt go like that?they will rather fight over it .
So unless it splits into many countries, there will be war where the winner decides what will be shared and what goes to the 3 dominant tribes .

Now let's look at what will happen after the problem of splitting into 3 have been solved.

The north will happily go back to its backward state(they have been doing it for a while and are good at it). They will go bck to their agriculture and make sure (due to hatred of the east and south) that the south buy their products through their noses.
Therefore the north will not be worse than it already is .

The west will exploit its oil , expand its industries to go into agric exports to cover for its lost of revenue.
New infrastructures like hospitals and roads does not have to be built immediately but old ones maintained.
So the west will not be as rich as they where before ,but it will be alright .
The west will probably still maintain its trading hub and still be a meeting point between the north, east and other west african countries.

Now the east will be rich , both with money and a lot of other problems .
They will have land problems, both for habitation and agric purposes. They already have erosion probs due to overuse of the land and will increase when most easterners migrate back to their homeland .if the money will be enough to solve the issue, we dnt know.
They will have political probs as their are many political groups hustling for power, but I believe that their will be enough money to calm things down.

They will have to rely heavily on food imports , expecialy the south , but money will be available to do that .
Re: If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by whitecat1: 9:38pm On Mar 13, 2015
Ibadan alone is bigger than the entire SE.
ChristyG:

3 Likes

Re: If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by meforyou1(m): 10:41pm On Mar 13, 2015
whitecat1:
Ibadan alone is bigger than the entire SE.
u are a morron
Re: If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by biafranking: 10:43pm On Mar 13, 2015
sorry op i cant wait...speed up...we re ready because there was a country...

2 Likes

Re: If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by macof(m): 12:22am On Mar 14, 2015
I have seen it and the best for Africa..not jst Nigerians is to destroy all colonial boarders created by Europeans in our land without our consent as if we are dogs .

Create new nations out of ethnic homogeneity, cultural, linguistic and historical ties hence Nigeria will not be divided into 3 but 5 or more

Yoruba in Benin and Nigeria create One Yoruba nation same for other ethnic groups like Hausa in Niger, Nigeria. Or Kanuri in Chad, Nigeria, Cameroon. Gbe language speakers in Togo, Ghana and Benin in One nation.

the next step would be to create a confederacy of West African states

Blacks must take their future in their hands and stop living as some selfish white men wanted u to live in the 20th century

Enough! It's over 100years we aren't getting anywhere with this lie of One Nigeria...anybody who doesn't tell u the truth hates you and hates your children

Nigeria must die

4 Likes

Re: If Nigeria Was To Divide.... by macof(m): 12:48am On Mar 14, 2015
BuddahMonk:
Biafra will not include minority ethnic groups like Ijaws, the Niger Delta minority ethnic groups will likely form their own country or those that which to join Biafra will be welcomed, Biafraland will start from Igbanke in Edo State to all the entire communities in Benue State down to Akwa Ibom, CR and Rivers State.

If we should control our population by making a law that nobody should give birth to more that 2kids we will get things right immediately.

Middle Beltans will never allow to be submerged in the Arewa Republic and Kwara State is going to the Fulanis so Yolobass have already consider that area lost.

The may likely be more than 5 countries when Nigeria crumbles.

Brother don't put hope on Anioma, especially Ika Towns cus Anioma are even more weary of Igbo association than Ikweere
Tivs of Benue will never follow Igbos, and Idoma will prefer to stick close to Igala away from Igbos whom will turn them into minorities that have no say against over 25million Igbos
Efik/Ibibio are happy in SS with Ijaw and Edo perfect trio after all many towns known as ijaw today are of efik/ibibio origins

you went really dumb with ur contradictions. Kwara is in the middle belt and you jst said middle belt will never allow to be submerged with Arewa so review ur comment

Nupe, Bariba and Yoruba make up Kwara with the Yoruba ruling the state in terms of politics and language. All Igbomina Towns + Ilorin are leaving the North central to join SW same as Okun towns in Kogi state

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Obiano Plunges Anambra Into $63M Debt - DMO (pic) / Nnamdi Kanu Takes Joe Igbokwe To The Cleaners / GEJ Launches Youwin 2 For Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.