Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,312 members, 7,780,747 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:11 PM

What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? (2605 Views)

Fulfilling Your Role In A Struggling Marriage As A Christian Spouse / Was God The Creator Of Evil? (poverty, Sickness, Natural Disasters, Etc) / Senator Sues God Over Natural Disasters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by exu(m): 8:16pm On Oct 09, 2005
I've noticed that there are some people claiming the natural disasters currently killing tens of thousands of mostly poor people is a "sign" from "God" that the end is nigh...

Does anyone here believe this and how does this relate to the notion of "God" being an all loving and thoroughly compassionate being?
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by hotangel2(f): 2:11am On Oct 10, 2005
God has power to do everything. I guess he has summin to do with this to. smiley
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by layi(m): 5:13am On Oct 10, 2005
How can the clay question the potter?
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by salako: 11:53am On Oct 10, 2005
God is like a documentary film crew. Just watches all and records all, never gets involved with the subjects. Those who have died were not abandoned by God, it was just their time (Like Jesus). As for the rest of us, God continues to watch and record are actions.
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by Owen(m): 11:56am On Oct 10, 2005
Ya...He is GOD and so has authority over all...but He lets these things happen cause as a result of the human bad ass nature...lets see these disasters more as punishments and of corse innocent people do some times suffer in the process...why...He knows best grin
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by bijorium(m): 12:59pm On Oct 10, 2005
I watch with interest the differing views on this subject. And i would like to bring a certain angle to it. God is not to be blamed for any of the natural disasters we currently experiene on earth. The earth is at least 6000 years old biblically. And much of those times, it has suffered incessant abuse and exploitation by man in different guises- oil exploration, nuclear and radio active tests, the effects of high-tech electronic and military gadgetary used against enemy nations ..... to mention a few. Added to the fact that this planet Labours under the effects of sin (2 Corinthians 4:4), what we often see is the combined effect of man in partnership with the devil.
How many of you would buy a car and never even change the oil or fuel it. The engine would eventually stall . So what we often see is the effect of a fast aging planet, ultimately heralding its end and the return of a loving Saviour.
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by uchetobi(f): 1:58pm On Oct 10, 2005
Why is it that when some pots are molded some are used to keep flowers why others to keep waste(dustbin) wjo will question the potter.... nobody?
who will question God..................not me
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by obong(m): 3:50pm On Oct 10, 2005
none
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by Bibi(m): 9:20pm On Oct 10, 2005
Its Gods way of bringing balance to everything. I dont think it relates to anything like "the end is here". I think only GOD can answer this question himself.
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by olaide07(f): 12:43pm On Oct 11, 2005
Perhaps to checkmate population in case of overpopulation and wipe away immorality just like people of Sodomy and Gomorah
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by layi(m): 3:33pm On Oct 11, 2005
I hope you're joking Laide. Cos this awesome GOD will checkmate overpopulation by preventing conception and not by killing innocent souls harshly (massacre)

Just chipped that in case u ain't kiddin  wink
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by Owen(m): 12:00pm On Oct 12, 2005
Thats right!
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by jenny247(f): 12:51pm On Oct 12, 2005
I don't believe that God brings evil to any man, but he allows these things happen.
everything that happens has it's cause and effect.
now remember the lords prayer which says, '' though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death''?
this means that we would face difficulties in life, some will treaten our lifes but then it also says ''i'll fear no evil for thou art with me''.
the truth is, God knows best and he does what he knows is best. we cannot question him nor fully understand his ways, but he keeps speaking to us in different ways.
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by Bibi(m): 12:53pm On Oct 12, 2005
@layi: How can you determine which method God will use? He doesnt have to prevent conception, in fact, that is likely the last thing God will do. Rather, he uses natural disasters, wars, etc to keep balance, or why do you think he used fire in Sodom & Gomorrah or Floading in case of Noah? Or are you saying that God massacred the people by allowing the Asian Tsunami or Katrina? We simply dont have what it takes to determine Gods response in any situation.
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by bijorium(m): 7:11pm On Oct 12, 2005
@Bibi
God is a good God. He does no evil. You do not blame a police man for carrying out his civic responsiblities of apprehending lawbreakers. God has set laws in motion, the one who violates them should be prepared to face the consequences of their actions or inactions. That was what happened to the people of Sodom and Gomorrah!
May i referesh your memory by announcing that Lot was rescued by this same God from the cities in question? grin
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by angelak(f): 2:29pm On Oct 13, 2005
I am enjoying this argument or should i call it a debate? please don't stop y'all
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by goodguy(m): 6:13pm On Oct 20, 2005
From the days of Abraham, Moses, etc, God always used natural disasters to punish those who violated his rules.
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by bijorium(m): 7:03pm On Oct 20, 2005
@goodguy
I differ with you on that one. God set in motion a cause and effect relationship in the Old Testament where consequences followed certain actions. Genesis 8:22 sums it up by the law of sowing and reaping. I do not agree that God would use Natural disasters as though he delighted in seeing his creations suffer. They often times only profited from their inactions/actions.
God is good. You plant corn, you reap same grin
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by otokx(m): 6:25pm On Oct 24, 2005
nothing
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by donnie(m): 10:47am On Oct 25, 2005
I tell you... i do not know who is responsible for the katrina, Rita, cicillia or Ekaete hurricain storms. Whether God or the devil.

All i know is that as children of God, we should ensure that we are vital in the kingdom...actively involved in Kingdom expansion. Because from time to time, the master of the vine comes to inspect ...and He expects to see fruits. You know what happens when there is a branch that refuses to bear fruit.

It is a stupid thing to question God on these issues...He is too big for that. He made us anyway.

Like Jesus, i only have this to say, "...repent or ye shall likewise perish..."
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by Dorcas(f): 3:02pm On Oct 25, 2005
I do not think that God has anything to do with disasters cos God loves his people and has no desire for them to suffer, Gen 8:21-22 God promised never to curse the earth because of man.

I will say it the devil because in the book of Job 1:6-15 The devil saw that job was comfortable and was a God fearing man he then took permission from God to test him a severe test indeed.

goodguy:

From the days of Abraham, Moses, etc, God always used natural disasters to punish those who violated his rules.

so i do not agree with this quote from goodguy since after the death of Christ all our sins have been accounted for even the once we have not committed cos when the lord Jesus Christ came by his death he atoned for all our sins.
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by Owen(m): 6:05pm On Oct 25, 2005
Ya all need to go to church a little bit more!
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by jenny247(f): 8:03pm On Oct 25, 2005
OWEN!!!!!! angry angry grin
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by goodguy(m): 11:00pm On Oct 25, 2005
Dorcas:

so i do not agree with this quote from goodguy since after the death of Christ all our sins have been accounted for even the once we have not committed because when the lord Jesus Christ came by his death he atoned for all our sins.

It was just what i was thinking. I'm not so sure whether God really punishes people these days with natural disasters. But then, remember it had been written in the book of Revelations that so many things will happen in the end time (natural disasters included). smiley
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by Nobody: 9:59am On Oct 26, 2005
We are just pawns on God's chess board so i think we shouldn't question his motives.As the Holy Book says,there is a time for verything and everything happens at His appoinnted time(me pastortongue).so all that happens happens at His Will and we as ordinary mortals shouldn't question Him.He knows wats best for us thats why he lets all these things happen.
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by Talush(f): 10:33pm On Dec 04, 2005
It is astonishing to me that everyone here believes so firmly in God. I feel like I am one of the only people who feels that scientific fact is all that stands behind the cause of natural disasters... Anyone with me here? Don't get me wrong, I am not against religion at all, and I don't intend to mock anyones beliefs... I came across this question in researching for a paper I am writing about why religion does not justify the natural disasters that occur... Interesting ideas here people...
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by sage(m): 5:26pm On Dec 06, 2005
goodguy:

This kind of statements is unfortunate.

The earthquakes that hit central africa yesterday and killed a few children was it sent by God to punish those children? The homeless from kenya to tanzania to congo to burundi to rwanda, was God punishing all those countries?
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by goodguy(m): 8:27pm On Dec 06, 2005
I guess u saw my other posts after that. Moreover, do u know what sins have been committed by such people?
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by sage(m): 3:33am On Dec 07, 2005
goodguy:

I guess u saw my other posts after that. Moreover, do u know what sins have been committed by such people?

ok i understand u now. Nigerians are the only ones without sin. They are sinless that is y natural disasters have not befallen them that much right? (apart from occassional flooding, landslides and erosions of some places)
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by goodguy(m): 11:23am On Dec 07, 2005
You are trying to twist things. I guess I won't have to respnd to your post anymore.
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by kismat: 3:51pm On Dec 07, 2005
Natural disasters can be seen as a sign of the Almighty reminding us that certain is death no matter where you are. Why kill the rightoues, children etc? you might ask. Why not? Who said you have to die when you've aged? Who knows when s/he will die? This is the state of mind we get into when we become lax and forget that we are all going to die and one day raised to account for what we have done during our stay in this world.

This surah (chapter) in the quran briefly describes the last day.

Chapter 99. The Earthquake

1. When the earth is shaken to her (utmost) convulsion,

2. And the earth throws up her burdens (from within),

3. And man cries (distressed): 'What is the matter with her?'-

4. On that Day will she declare her tidings:

5. For that thy Lord will have given her inspiration.

6. On that Day will men proceed in companies sorted out, to be shown the deeds that they (had done).

7. Then shall anyone who has done an atom's weight of good, see it!

8. And anyone who has done an atom's weight of evil, shall see it.
Re: What Exactly Is God's Role in Natural Disasters? by RhodaRose(f): 10:22pm On Dec 07, 2005
I posted in the thread "where is the world heading to" which seems to be an answer to this question, if you would care to go back and read this thread.

RhodaRose

(1) (2) (Reply)

King David Of The Bible / History Of The Church / Nigerian Gospel Artists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.