Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,785 members, 7,802,455 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:42 PM

Chidinma Or Chidimma? - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Chidinma Or Chidimma? (50452 Views)

CUCUMBER UPDATE: Chidinma Okeke Declared Missing By Family / Latest New Video Flavor Ololufe Ft Chidimma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by WetinConsignMe: 4:04am On Oct 30, 2017
echelons:

There's always standard in every thing, languages inclusive.
The Standard English Language as we know today is slightly different from what native British and Americans speak, but would you rather use the so many different native styles or use the standard when you're on something official.

My point is, there's standard in everything, and I just pointed out the standard pattern in Igbo language but also different dialects have different spellings.

It is different in Language. A foot will always be 12 ins. But in Language e.g. Chidinma is evolving to become the standard/correct spelling no longer Chidimma. See below.

Here is what jamesversion posted:

"Chidinma is the spelling for me. First time I saw someone's name spelt as Chidimma was some few years back, and believe me, I thought it was a typographical error. I showed this thread to a friend and he concurred that Chidinma is the correct spelling... but what do I know!!!"
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Eke40seven(m): 4:45am On Oct 30, 2017
KissCODE:
Chimdimma means My God is good which is different from the op's question.
The correct one is Chidimma because in Igbo there is nothing like "nma" what we hlave is "mma."
Which of the Igbos? You need to clarify this. Many names are borne and pronounced out of dialects.
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by nwasteve(m): 4:52am On Oct 30, 2017
From my understanding, 'Chidinma' means "God is good"

while 'Chidimma' means "God is good TO ME"

some even bear 'ChiMdinma' meaning, "MY God is good"
or 'ChiMdimma' meaning MY God is good TO ME"

There is no wrong or right spelling, its only wrong when you use a variation for an individual with another variation of the name. I know most bearers are always fast to correct the caller on which particular one they bear despite that fact that the differences are slight.

Tautology
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by KingRollins01(m): 5:06am On Oct 30, 2017
Both are correct, only that they have different meaning. Chidinma means "God is good" while Chidimma which in its full phrase is "Chi dim nma" meaning "God is good to me" is variantly spelt "Chidimma."
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by asatemple(f): 5:10am On Oct 30, 2017
It is chidimma not chidinma.
In Igbo, N and M are not found in a word.
Mma is a word.
But can only be seen in a 'phrasal-word' like oMe-Na-ala.
N and M behave like vowel but they are not vowel in Igbo language (ie myiri-udaume).
I bu ezigbo Onye Igbo. That's my name

1 Like

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Awoofawo(m): 5:15am On Oct 30, 2017
Abeg what about Ijeoma and Ifeoma, are the same thing...................just curious no be fight o. smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by bullbull: 5:37am On Oct 30, 2017
Mma is a word.
N and M behave like vowel but they are not vowel in Igbo language (ie myiri-udaume).

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by nairapower: 5:58am On Oct 30, 2017
So which do I adopt?
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Bobbin2009: 6:12am On Oct 30, 2017
Chidinma is the correct spelling just like writing down the igbo alphabet we have n and n with dash(-) akara udaelu on top of it.so the n in nma is the n with dash so in writing of Chidinma we think it's not necessary to specify it we just write it plain

Mma is a word.
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by stanjohn57: 6:27am On Oct 30, 2017
WetinConsignMe:

Here is what jamesversion just posted:

"Chidinma is the spelling for me. First time I saw someone's name spelt as Chidimma was some few years back, and believe me, I thought it was a typographical error. I showed this thread to a friend and he concurred that Chidinma is the correct spelling... but what do I know!!!"

So as more and more Igbos decide that Chidinma looks and sounds better that becomes the correct spelling. That's how a living language "grows", evolves.

I just saw your response to echelons where you stated "It is different in Language. A foot will always be 12 ins. But in Language e.g. Chidinma is evolving to become the standard/correct spelling no longer Chidimma. "
Now that shows you clearly accepted that Chidimma is the correct as Chidinma 'is ONLY evolving TO BECOME the standard'.
Well, the sweet thing is language is dynamic. But till we get to the stage where the later becomes generally accepted, the former remains the correct. That was the question.
No one, including me can stop language evolution, but at every point there will always be a norm. That is the point. Hence, Chidinma is from borrowed spelling and is being used by a few; MAY grow to become a norm, but not yet.
Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Solcy(m): 6:27am On Oct 30, 2017
Chidinma means God is Good while Chidimma means God is good to me. There're not the same.
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Chukabiz1961(m): 6:57am On Oct 30, 2017
The owners of the name should answer. This is because my name is Oji but others write Orji and this has caused me a lot.
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by harryobi: 7:02am On Oct 30, 2017
The best answer.
echelons:
Chidimma is the grammatically correct spelling of the name. According to Mazi Onwu's committee on Igbo Izugbe, M will follow M in a word while N follows N in a word.
Eg. Mma (Good, beauty, knife), Nna (Father), Nne (mother), mmanu (oil) , nnu (salt), Nnunu (bird), mmiri (water).

Different dialects have their traditional ways of spelling but it follows from above when you're looking for the grammatically correct spellings.

It seems ChidiNma is the most wrongly spelled name in Igbo language.
Correct spelling for emphasis is ChidiMMA. (God is good).

1 Like

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Nely77(m): 8:08am On Oct 30, 2017
Both are correct. nma or mma is correct for that name.
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Roseey0(f): 8:30am On Oct 30, 2017
Igbo linguistics knows that MM is the right one
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by 9inches(m): 8:32am On Oct 30, 2017
mhizsuzzy:

make I believe dis one it looks closely to been true
Don't do it. There is nothing like Nma in "Igbo" language.
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by 9inches(m): 8:35am On Oct 30, 2017
AntiGod:

So what is mma?

People like you can change Nna to Mna

Mna gi there grin

1 Like

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by 9inches(m): 8:38am On Oct 30, 2017
Chukabiz1961:
The owners of the name should answer. This is because my name is Oji but others write Orji and this has caused me a lot.

Really? How did it cause you a lot?
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by 9inches(m): 8:43am On Oct 30, 2017
Awoofawo:
Abeg what about Ijeoma and Ifeoma, are the same thing...................just curious no be fight o. smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Ijeoma - safe journey
Ifeoma - good thing
Ifeomachukwu - good thing from God.

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by wtfcoded: 8:48am On Oct 30, 2017
Bomgirl:

For the sake of their new coach, I pray they do well. embarassed embarassed

Oya, go to bed. We've derailed enough. Besides, tomorrow na work. cool cool cool. Have a great night.
Wtfcoded, you don sleep ba?? wink wink tongue tongue
grin grin
how was ur night?

1 Like

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by wtfcoded: 8:53am On Oct 30, 2017
TimeMod3:
niggur, you owe bomgirl your life. She's got yo ass covered tonight, otherwise I woulda got you screwed & have yo momma begging me for mercy. Trust me on that bitch!
really?
Just know this dustie...'u can't do sh!t'.
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by aribisala0(m): 9:00am On Oct 30, 2017
Shidima
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Awoofawo(m): 9:09am On Oct 30, 2017
9inches:

Ijeoma - safe journey
Ifeoma - good thing
Ifeomachukwu - good thing from God.
thanks much appreciation. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by 9inches(m): 9:14am On Oct 30, 2017
Awoofawo:
thanks much appreciation. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

You're welcome.
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Eagleword14(f): 10:18am On Oct 30, 2017
Chidimma is the correct word. In Igbo language, MMA means beauty while NMA means matchet.

1 Like

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Mrjo(m): 10:30am On Oct 30, 2017
DocAdray:
To my own understanding of Igbo language and grammar, it's CHIDIMMA.

MMA = good, fine, pleasant
NMA is grammatically incorrect in Igbo language, it's a form of anglicising 'MMA'
if that is ur definition of "mma" what of mum?
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by WetinConsignMe: 3:29pm On Oct 30, 2017
stanjohn57:

I just saw your response to echelons where you stated "It is different in Language. A foot will always be 12 ins. But in Language e.g. Chidinma is evolving to become the standard/correct spelling no longer Chidimma. "
Now that shows you clearly accepted that Chidimma is the correct as Chidinma 'is ONLY evolving TO BECOME the standard'.
Well, the sweet thing is language is dynamic. But till we get to the stage where the later becomes generally accepted, the former remains the correct. That was the question.
No one, including me can stop language evolution, but at every point there will always be a norm. That is the point. Hence, Chidinma is from borrowed spelling and is being used by a few; MAY grow to become a norm, but not yet.
Thank you.

I beg to differ. Chidimma is still considered ACADEMICALLY correct right now by people like you (which really doesn't mean much). Chidinma is more used right now hence the colloquial norm. Soon people like you will have to follow. Every famous one spells their name Chidinma. So does everyone I know.
So does this jamesversion guy:
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by WetinConsignMe: 3:33pm On Oct 30, 2017
AntiGod:

Chidimma is just a name, we are talking of the meaning, you can bear Chidinma, Chirinma or Chirimma as a name but you can't change the word "mma"(beauty/good) to "nma"

You don't change mma because of a name

THIS discussion is Chidinma/Chidimma NOT mma/nma

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi Launches Nigerian-Made Buses For Mass Transit - Pictured / Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures / Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Oba Ewuare II (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.