Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,465 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:20 PM

Chidinma Or Chidimma? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Chidinma Or Chidimma? (50521 Views)

CUCUMBER UPDATE: Chidinma Okeke Declared Missing By Family / Latest New Video Flavor Ololufe Ft Chidimma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by babajero(m): 7:08pm On Oct 29, 2017
Chidimma is the correct one. Just like garden egg it is spelt añara not añara.
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by uzor2(m): 7:09pm On Oct 29, 2017
Hello every everybody!
Igbo language: mma literally mean=Good, nma literally means= beauty.
So when you say "God is good" it means chidimma. But if you say "God is beautiful" it means chidinma.

1 Like

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by WetinConsignMe: 7:10pm On Oct 29, 2017
macmiral:
So this dumb ass post actually made FP, oh man! NL sulks at times

I know, while my epic "10 Awolowo Controversies" that everyone is posting on stays stuck in politics. It is now up to 14 solid pages and ever increasing momentum

1 Like

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by horllyma(m): 7:12pm On Oct 29, 2017
With all this argument I will love to have a gf bearing the name ooo. Lolz
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by WetinConsignMe: 7:13pm On Oct 29, 2017
uzor2:
Hello every everybody!
So when you say "God is good" it means chidimma. But if you say "God is beautiful" it means chidinma.

U just made up your own rules. Which is fine. Whoever ganers the widest usage becomes "correct". That's how language works.
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by cosobi(m): 7:13pm On Oct 29, 2017
chidinma is the correct spelling...
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by ogbright: 7:14pm On Oct 29, 2017
It is chidimma not chidinma.
In Igbo, N and M are not found in a word.
Mma is a word.
But can only be seen in a 'phrasal-word' like oMe-Na-ala.
N and M behave like vowel but they are not vowel in Igbo language (ie myiri-udaume).

Ikowala ya nke oma. bia Nara ise.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Olive4(f): 7:14pm On Oct 29, 2017
Mmachukwu Chidimma
Mma means beauty
there's nofin like nma

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Oct 29, 2017
Whether Chidimma or Chidinma... both are correct, it is actually the one your parents prefers, my own is Chidimma and it still means God is Good.
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by kennyblack94: 7:18pm On Oct 29, 2017
Chidimma is the correct spelling, only colonial obsessed negropeans in Igbo land spell it wrongly, same way they've chosen to call themselves Ibo and not Igbo...

3 Likes

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by fortunechy(m): 7:19pm On Oct 29, 2017
chidinma is the correct spelling. nma means beauty or good while mma means knife.
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by victorioushands: 7:19pm On Oct 29, 2017
Any Igbo who insists that there are words like 'Nm' in Igbo language should go back and study Igbo basics. Sadly, such people are everywhere on social media. There is nothing like Chidinma, chinemenma or any of such with nm. It's mma (good, beauty, etc).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by uzor2(m): 7:21pm On Oct 29, 2017
i di-mma.
o di-mma.
ha di-mma.
Simple igbo language.
nmata ha mara nma= The child is beautiful.
(nma) is beauty or beautiful.
(mma) is good.
Cheek your Igbo dictionary.

WetinConsignMe:

U just made up your own rules. Which is fine. Whoever ganers the widest usage becomes "correct". That's how language works.
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by ibietela2(m): 7:21pm On Oct 29, 2017
PHgirl:
Igbo people in the house, I hail, oh! Something's been bothering me. @topic, do you guys bear Chidinma or Chidimma? Are they the same thing? Because I've seen the two. Thanks in anticipation.

Where in PH do you stay?
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by HomoDroid(m): 7:22pm On Oct 29, 2017
This post makes me fear for BIAFRA - It is an accident waiting to happen.

Many think it's greener on the other side until you get there.

I have always wondered how the wise men from the east will handle land matters, when the multitudes return home upon actualization of Biafraland and want to settle. The reality of Population/Land ratio will take its toll, not to talk of loss of market access in the immediate!

Some claim they are Jews, without learning from the debacle of Israel after exit from Egypt.

Problem started when they wanted to choose the correct God to serve. They will certainly mob Nnamdi Kanu!

Then came the wars between Judah and Israel after the game of Thrones started.

The Holy Bible is a prophetic reference for anyone wishing for BIAFRA.

For unbelievers in the scriptures, the Old USSR is a viable treatise!

Let's nurture Nigeria together and face the real enemy - the gluttonous Nigerian leadership,together with the World leaders manipulating the the national resources and encouraging our leaders to loot!

The USA, Britain, France are all spent forces milking Nigeria dry and sucking our blood for survival! They are the real enemy!

For those who regard this post as useless, it has been really enlightening for us non-Igbos!

2 Likes

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by uzor2(m): 7:23pm On Oct 29, 2017
"Good" is not the same meaning as "beauty".
Check your Igbo dictionary.

victorioushands:
Any Igbo who insists that there are words like 'Nm' in Igbo language should go back and study Igbo basics. Sadly, such people are everywhere on social media. There is nothing like Chidinma, chinemenma or any of such with nm. It's mma (good, beauty, etc).
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by pattybf(f): 7:23pm On Oct 29, 2017
uzor2:
Hello every everybody!

No wonder dey said no end to learning. U just taught me dis o!

Udo nwanne!

1 Like

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Lomprico2: 7:23pm On Oct 29, 2017
emmanuelrabb:
How is this news

MOD that brought this to front page is a tribalistic person

Nairaland is a forum for news, articles, eye witness events, fiction stories, medical advice, education, etc.

This is education. Get a life bigot!

4 Likes

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by DedeNkem: 7:25pm On Oct 29, 2017
PHgirl:
Igbo people in the house, I hail, oh! Something's been bothering me. @topic, do you guys bear Chidinma or Chidimma? Are they the same thing? Because I've seen the two. Thanks in anticipation.

They're both correct and the same. Igbo has many dialects. For example, Umuahians say "ihe" while Anambrans say "ife", Ngwa says "Nwhe na". They all mean the same thing.

Don't get me started with many other Igbo dialects.
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Nickymezor(f): 7:26pm On Oct 29, 2017
Both
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Oct 29, 2017
Chidinma.
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by musicwriter(m): 7:28pm On Oct 29, 2017
PHgirl:

Chidimma is correct.

The spelling is in the literal meaning. Chidimma translates to English as "God is good". God is (chi di) good (mma).
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by DjAndroid: 7:28pm On Oct 29, 2017
DedeNkem:

They're both correct and the same. Igbo has many dialects. For example, Umuahians say "ihe" while Anambrans say "ife", Ngwa says "Nwhe na". They all mean the same thing.

Don't get me started with many other Igbo dialects.

You are wrong. There is nothing like "NM" in Igbo language. But "MM".

1 Like

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Oct 29, 2017
NeduLuiZ:
Chidinma is the correct spelling

Beauty or good is spelt as "nma"
While an old woman or mother is spelt as "mma"

Chidinma means God is good.

Different igbo dialects explains the difference in spelling. Both of them are correct. Maybe Abia n IMO state call it Chidinma, Enugu calls it chidmma. My sisters name is spelt as chidimma n not chidinma.
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by mightyhazel: 7:30pm On Oct 29, 2017
free2ryhme:

Ipob youth

una no dey tire grin grin grin
lol..

its like calling u yor0ba/yorigba or the man from the north awusa. see na

e no gel

1 Like

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Nobody: 7:31pm On Oct 29, 2017
PHgirl:

Different igbo dialects explains the difference in spelling. Both of them are correct. Maybe Abia n IMO state call it Chidinma, Enugu calls it chidmma. My sisters name is spelt as chidimma n not chidinma.
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by 1kingwriter: 7:31pm On Oct 29, 2017
Mma is a word.
N and M behave like vowel but they are not vowel in Igbo language (ie myiri-udaume).

You got it accurate.

I can confidently say that many people sweating here never wrote Igbo language in WAEC neither are they fully involved in Igbo literature.

Biko, do we remember Omimi Asusu Igbo?
Chidimma - Correct.
Chidinma - Incorrect.

For those talking of tongues or dialects in Igbo language, it does not work here.
The written Igbo is generally accepted. Many refer to it as the CENTRAL IGBO.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Engrr(m): 7:33pm On Oct 29, 2017
Igbo language has too many dialects(Olu Mba) but what is generally accepted is Central Igbo (Igbo-Izugbe). For the name above, the central Igbo for it is Chidimma. however some parts may pronounce and call it Chidinma.

1 Like

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Oct 29, 2017
PHgirl:
Both spellings are correct.
Depends on the Area the bearer hails From.
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by donfortune48(m): 7:33pm On Oct 29, 2017
regardless of the eastern part you 're from.

in the teachings of the igbo language, there is nothing like ...nma.
the right spelling is ...mma.

mma = means good. it also means beauty.

so according to IGBO IZUGBE (igbo teachings), the right pronunciation is ...MMA.

nma does not exist in igbo writing.

1 Like

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by bobjack(m): 7:35pm On Oct 29, 2017
Mma is a word.
Oga u get degree for igboology chai
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Albion05: 7:37pm On Oct 29, 2017
You all should go and read your A,B, CH, D, E, F, G, GB, GW, GH.......... etc . After reading it then come back and make your stand known. In Igbo land " Nma" represent Beauty. It also represents "Cutlass" while MMA can be "Mother". "MMADU" also represent human being. The point here is the Sound effect and you get to appreciate the words better after seeing the full sentence which the words are been used for. No doubt, I have seen of recent some persons using " Chidimma" as regards to Chidinma as purportedly argued here. I have no problem with that. Your name is the identity you choose to be reckon or recognize with. Nke onye Chiri nya- zere. What will you say about Franklin and Franklyn? . What will you also say about " Akwa" it has so many meaning like, Egg, Cloth, Bed, Cry, what differentiate all this is what we called in Igbo... Uda-elu, Uda-ala, Uda-nsuda na- akala- uhie. Why is it that the capital of Anambra state which is "Awka" is written that way. Is because of the sound effect.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Oba Ewuare II (photos) / Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures / 78-Year-Old Alaafin Of Oyo Enters Boxing Ring For Match - PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.