Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,337 members, 7,808,186 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:17 AM

8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day (39972 Views)

8 Things The Most Successful People Do Every Night / 9 Things Successful Women Never Do / 8 Categories Of Occupation People Do That Brings Forth Insult From The Society (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day by Adesiji77: 9:39pm On Mar 15, 2015
This is quite lengthy, but those who find the time to read it will appreciate it.

If you get decent value from making to-do lists, you'll get huge returns — in productivity, in improved relationships, and in personal well-being — from adding these items to your not-to-do list:

Every day, promise yourself you won't:

1. Wait until you're sure you will succeed.

You can never feel sure you will succeed at something new, but you can always feel sure you are committed to giving something your best.

And you can always feel sure you will try again if you fail.

Stop waiting. You have a lot less to lose than you think, and everything to gain.

2. Multitask during a meeting.

The easiest way to be the smartest person in the room is to be the person who pays the most attention to the room.

You'll be amazed by what you can learn, both about the topic of the meeting and about the people in the meeting, if you stop multitasking and start paying close attention. You'll flush out and understand hidden agendas, spot opportunities to build bridges, and find ways to make yourself indispensable to the people who matter.

It's easy, because you'll be the only one trying. And you'll be the only one succeeding — on multiple levels.

3. Check your phone while you're talking to someone.

You've done it. You've played the "Is that your phone? Oh, it must be mine" game. You've tried the you-think-sly-but-actually-really-obvious downward glance. You've done the "Wait, let me answer this text" thing.

Maybe you didn't even say "wait." You just stopped talking, stopped paying attention, and did it.

Want to stand out? (Especially if you're a boss?) Want to be that person everyone loves because they make you feel, when they're talking to you, like you're the most important person in the world?

Stop checking your phone. It doesn't notice when you aren't paying attention. Other people? They notice.

And they care.

4. Think about people who don't make any difference in your life.

Trust me: The inhabitants of planet Kardashian are OK without you.

But your family, your friends, your employees — all the people that really matter to you — are not. Give them your time and attention.

They are the ones who deserve it.

5. Let yourself be distracted by notifications.

You don't need to know the instant you get an email. Or a text. Or a tweet. Or anything else that pops up on your phone or computer.

If something is important enough for you to do, it's important enough for you to do without interruptions. Focus totally on what you're doing. Then, on a schedule you set — instead of a schedule you let everyone else set — play prairie dog and pop your head up to see what's happening.

And then get right back to work. Focusing on what you are doing is a lot more important than focusing on other people might be doing.

They can wait. You, and what is truly important to you, cannot.

6. Let your past dictate your future.

Mistakes are valuable. Learn from them.

Then let them go.

Easier said than done? It all depends on your perspective. When something goes wrong, turn it into an opportunity to learn something you didn't know — especially about yourself.

When something goes wrong for someone else, turn it into an opportunity to be gracious, forgiving, and understanding.

The past is just training. The past should definitely inform but in no way define you ... unless you let it.

7. Talk behind someone's back.

If only because being the focus of gossip sucks. (And so do the people who gossip.)

If you've talked to more than one person about something Joe is doing, wouldn't everyone be better off if you stepped up and actually talked to Joe about it? And if it's "not your place" to talk to Joe, it's probably not your place to talk about Joe.

Spend your time on productive conversations. You'll get a lot more done — and you'll gain a lot more respect.

8. Say yes when you really mean no.

Refusing a request from colleagues, customers, and especially friends is really hard.

Yet you can't do everything. You shouldn't do everything. In fact, success is often based more on what you decide not to do than on what you do.

Besides, rarely will saying no go as badly as you expect. Most people understand (and if they don't should you care too much about what they think?)

When you say no to something you don't want to do, at least you only feel bad for a few moments. When you say yes to something you really don't want to do you can feel bad for a long time — or at least for as long as it takes you to do what you didn't want do in the first place.

Now it's your turn. What things are on your NOT-to-do list?

http://www.businessinsider.com/things-successful-people-never-do-2015-2?utm_content=buffer6df9f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

48 Likes 21 Shares

Re: 8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day by Nobody: 9:47pm On Mar 15, 2015
Euducative!!!

MODS front page.....
Re: 8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day by Pinkiedearie(f): 9:58pm On Mar 15, 2015
Wow!!..guilty of no 3.. undecided
Re: 8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day by hungryboy(m): 11:25pm On Mar 15, 2015
Many successful people do many of those things you listed above,
Success has no attitude man,
me and u might be doing the same thing everyday, but just because am more lucky or connected,
am up here and u are down there

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day by CR77(f): 5:06pm On Mar 16, 2015
All is on point.

#GodWin

3 Likes

Re: 8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day by naijainfogalery: 5:07pm On Mar 16, 2015
Nairalanders wont read this one, if it is Tonto Dike caught pants down now, or someone sleeping with someone you will 200 pages, 20000 comments , 1200 likes and 800 shares but this one that will help their life they wont comment.

I bet this post wont have more than 3 pages tongue

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day by Nobody: 5:07pm On Mar 16, 2015
Quite true...But for people like me,i can do all of the above & still be on a positive note,cos am a super human.
Re: 8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day by Chadso(m): 5:07pm On Mar 16, 2015
The fact that you already said its lengthy discouraged me from reading
Re: 8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day by kman1090(m): 5:08pm On Mar 16, 2015
Ok
Re: 8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day by Datas121(m): 5:08pm On Mar 16, 2015
Ok oo nothing concern poor man.Even na MTN text message he go read till end.

1 Like

Re: 8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day by IYANGBALI: 5:08pm On Mar 16, 2015
Copy and paste bullshiiiiiiiiiIiit tongue
Re: 8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day by ShakurM(m): 5:09pm On Mar 16, 2015
9. They don't clamour GEJ till 2019 undecided

1 Like

Re: 8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day by BizBloke(m): 5:09pm On Mar 16, 2015
Nice, nice, nice!!!

2 & 3 can be argued on this page though; I don't believe they're absolute truths.
Re: 8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day by emmabest2000(m): 5:09pm On Mar 16, 2015
Fear God

2 Likes

Re: 8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day by Nimblemind(m): 5:09pm On Mar 16, 2015
Successful people can't waste time reading or writing this!

3 Likes

Re: 8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day by Nobody: 5:09pm On Mar 16, 2015
Do they book space? wink cheesy
Re: 8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day by tempem: 5:10pm On Mar 16, 2015
B
Re: 8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day by olumaxi(m): 5:10pm On Mar 16, 2015
As in...
Re: 8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day by tempem: 5:10pm On Mar 16, 2015
C
Re: 8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day by tempem: 5:11pm On Mar 16, 2015
sirRiddy:
Do they book space? wink cheesy

You had 'a' before....
Re: 8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day by IYANGBALI: 5:11pm On Mar 16, 2015
hungryboy:
Many successful people do many of those things you listed above,
Success has no attitude man,
me and u might be doing the same thing everyday, but just because am more lucky or connected,
am up here and u are down there
you dey mind the op?how many of the bullshiiiiiit did GEJ,dangote,adenuga and co did not do?
Re: 8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day by Drsheddy(m): 5:12pm On Mar 16, 2015
Front p oooo
Re: 8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day by RotrEmmanuel: 5:12pm On Mar 16, 2015
Unfortunately, All these bla bla bla ain't workable in Africa.

One can be respecting the rules, WITCHCRAFT from our villages will be firing missiles. What u hear next is he had an Accident! And the street will console the victim's family with words like; GOOD PEOPLE NEVER LAST..

WTF will I obey all this rules here in Nigera

Re: 8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day by Nobody: 5:13pm On Mar 16, 2015
Proof? angry angry
tempem:

You had 'a' before....
Re: 8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day by hensben(m): 5:14pm On Mar 16, 2015
Still haven't got to second page after my delay.
Re: 8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day by ExInferis(m): 5:16pm On Mar 16, 2015
Adesiji77:
This is quite lengthy, but those who find the time to read it will appreciate it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/things-successful-people-never-do-2015-2?utm_content=buffer6df9f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Hiss. You only succeed when you do each and everyone of the above.

Only the meanest, crudest, vilest, and antisocial ones succeed in this brutal rat race.

Honest and humble ones pick crumbs and hug their bibles.
Re: 8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day by abila122: 5:17pm On Mar 16, 2015
Reading it is easy applying it is very hard

Breaking News! Gunmen shot APC topshot at rally in Osun
SOURCE: http://www..com.ng/index.php/political-news/item/3972-breaking-news-gunmen-shot-apc-topshot-at-rally-in-osun
Re: 8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day by Nobody: 5:17pm On Mar 16, 2015
Successful. Ding! $$$$
Re: 8 Things Successful People Do NOT Do Every Day by Nobody: 5:18pm On Mar 16, 2015
thank you Man, I apprieciate this.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Madam Sacked Me Because I Killed A Snake In Her Compound / Why Ekiti Police Sacked Pregnant Policewoman / I'm Proud Of My Job- Pretty Cobbler Boasts In GOD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.