Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,864 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:59 AM

Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation (19866 Views)

Court Nullifies Election Of Bassey Albert As Uyo Rep / Lagos State Government Denies Abolishing Monthly Sanitation / Kano Extends Monthly Sanitation To Sundays (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by abacusCm(m): 11:33am On Mar 16, 2015
A Federal High Court in Lagos has declared as unlawful the restriction of citizens’ movement during the monthly Lagos enviromental sanitation exercise.

Justice Mohammed Idris, in a judgment delivered on Monday, held that such restriction of movement, in the name of sanitation, amounted to a violation of the citizens’ right to personal liberty and freedom of movement protected by sections 35 and 41 of the Constitution.

He therefore voided the power of the Lagos State Government and its agent to arrest any citizen found moving between 7am and 10am on the last Saturday of every month when the enviromental sanitation exercise is observed.
http://www.punchng.com/news/court-nullifies-movement-restriction-during-lagos-monthly-sanitation/

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by dtruth3(m): 11:41am On Mar 16, 2015
wow! fantastic, going to my own state (Anambra) to institute a legal actions to that effect!

26 Likes

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by princesslucy83: 12:06pm On Mar 16, 2015
ooooooooooh , loving this report. It`s usually very embarrassing how one get stuk at the airport for hours or miss flight cos of sanitation in Lagos.

Good bless FHC Lagos.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by dein77(m): 12:30pm On Mar 16, 2015
I'm deeply impressed. This is 2015! No nation is put on a grinding halt for a period of about 3 hours every last Saturday of the month for some sanitation exercise. It's old fashioned and doesn't belong in the modern system.

Long overdue.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by praise010(m): 1:17pm On Mar 16, 2015
dtruth3:
wow! fantastic, going to my own state (Anambra) to institute a legal actions to that effect!

I beat you to that. I ve already filed a similar suit at Awka. Waiting for Rulling/Judgement before the end of the month.

I know Lagos State will appeal. Just like the toll gate suit, we shall await the Court of Appeal pronouncement. I just hope the Counsel that brought the suit will do a well researched brief for the appeal.

15 Likes

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by dein77(m): 1:20pm On Mar 16, 2015
praise010:

I beat you to that. I ve already filed a similar suit at Awka. Waiting for Rulling/Judgement before the end of the month.

I know Lagos State will appeal. Just like the toll gate suit, we shall await the Court of Appeal pronouncement. I just hope the Counsel that brought the suit will do a well researched brief for the appeal.

I'm really impressed with you guys. I'm happy you guys are willing to play your part in this issue. That decree has NO place in this time and age. Keep the good work going.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Zico5(m): 2:02pm On Mar 16, 2015
I think the court should respect the law of the land so far it is not against the people's freedom. Those saddled with environmental responsibility have been discharging their duties diligently and this has added to the beauty of the state compared to what it is used to be before. All the same we are law abiding citizens. Eko o ni baje o

7 Likes

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by pekeyim: 2:02pm On Mar 16, 2015
I love the way the Judiciary is working,

One day we'll get there.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Nobody: 2:03pm On Mar 16, 2015
LOL... didnt laff a bit jare

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Burger01(m): 2:03pm On Mar 16, 2015
lipsrsealed
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by pheesayor(m): 2:03pm On Mar 16, 2015
The only time dirty Lagosians have to clean up their environment. Most times gaan most people don't come out for cleanup and we have to persuade them to do so. Now that movement restriction has been nullified, be rest assured that environmental sanitation will die a natural death.

4 Likes

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Dahjhi: 2:03pm On Mar 16, 2015
As a Sanitarian....Good move if I may say... But that shouldnt stop people from been sanctioned for nuisances within their premises on sanitation or other days. Sanitation should be a way of life.. Just as food is compulsory.... So People shouldn't be kept indoors for sanitation reasons.. If we want an healthy environment the essential thing is Effective Enforcement of Environmental Laws..
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by sucess001(m): 2:03pm On Mar 16, 2015
strange decision...

Strange indeed...

That rule has been in existence as far as i can remember...

I want to know the legal basis of the judgement...

5 Likes

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by fboycaestro(m): 2:03pm On Mar 16, 2015
well...okay

But who then is gonna take the exercise serious?
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by CR77(f): 2:04pm On Mar 16, 2015
Long time alrady we know this law no be today nah.

Justice Mohammed Idris just dey wake from sleep.. grin grin

cry kiss grin grin shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by tiamiyukunle69(m): 2:04pm On Mar 16, 2015
Some people wey no like to dey clean before....opportunity to freestyle be that

1 Like

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Nobody: 2:04pm On Mar 16, 2015
The original thread on this that made front page has been locked.

Anyway, the judiciary seems to have woken up lately...they even want CHANGE grin

Jimi Agbaje please tell us how to help Lagos now that the court has decided on your campaign promise of restricting movements on sanitation days.

Nigerians are the winner.... grin

4 Likes

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by stepo707: 2:04pm On Mar 16, 2015
People should still endeavour to clean their surroundings afterall it is for our benefit.The authorities should take note as well cos all they believe in is arresting people and collecting money.

2 Likes

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by atlwireles: 2:05pm On Mar 16, 2015
Buharism has been corrected again.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by coobboy(m): 2:05pm On Mar 16, 2015
No more playing football in the street again.......noooooooo
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Nobody: 2:05pm On Mar 16, 2015
That judge must be a dirty man

1 Like

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by nkowaputa(m): 2:05pm On Mar 16, 2015
Good one there. No more idling and waste of man hour. I pray that also look into the every Thursday market sanitation where shops close till 10am.
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Dragonking: 2:06pm On Mar 16, 2015
Good for fashola. Now he will know that GEJ is his boss...
Click like for GEJ and share for GMB..Let's see who wins. cool

28 Likes 37 Shares

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by kenbee(f): 2:06pm On Mar 16, 2015
in whose interest?
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by anonym0us: 2:06pm On Mar 16, 2015
Military mentality still dey that soldier Tom fashola coconut head

4 Likes

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by mmsen: 2:06pm On Mar 16, 2015
Instead of forcing people to engage in a day of sanitation it would be better educate people on the need for cleanliness followed by fines for those who are caught or known to litter and block drainage; stop the construction of buildings for which there is no permit or plans for adequate drainage; fine those who do not paint or clean the facade of their premises within a set period of time.

It isn't for a government to tell people when they should and should not move around - curfews are a military tactic, peaceful civilians should not be subjected to such actions.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Kaybee14(m): 2:06pm On Mar 16, 2015
Ok.

1 Like

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by JeffreyJamez(m): 2:06pm On Mar 16, 2015
How many people dey Even clean up sef..... most people just sit at home till 10,then thEy move.
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by drjay1(m): 2:07pm On Mar 16, 2015
I dont support this judgement @ all.. It means no environmental sanitation again be dat o! Pple wont participate if no movement restriction!

1 Like

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by hotswagg12: 2:07pm On Mar 16, 2015
Okay
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Nobody: 2:08pm On Mar 16, 2015
THis post should read "Court Nullifies Monthly Sanitation Exercise in Lagos".

2 Likes

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by tolexy007(m): 2:08pm On Mar 16, 2015
God bless our Judiciary.....

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Micheal Akinleye Declares Ajimobi’s Appointment Illegal, Threatens Lawsuit / 13 Boko Haram Members Arrested In Niger Over Attempt To Attack Military Base / 10 Traffic Laws That Gov. Sanwo-olu’s Predecessors Failed To Enforce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.