Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,572 members, 7,809,087 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:43 PM

Court Nullifies Movement Restriction Duringlagos Monthly Sanitation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Nullifies Movement Restriction Duringlagos Monthly Sanitation (627 Views)

Court Nullifies Election Of Bassey Albert As Uyo Rep / Kano Extends Monthly Sanitation To Sundays / Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Nullifies Movement Restriction Duringlagos Monthly Sanitation by blackfase(m): 11:37am On Mar 16, 2015
A Federal High Court in Lagos has declared
as unlawful the restriction of citizens’
movement during the monthly Lagos
enviromental sanitation exercise.
Justice Mohammed Idris, in a judgment
delivered on Monday, held that such
restriction of movement, in the name of
sanitation, amounted to a violation of the
citizens’ right to personal liberty and
freedom of movement protected by sections
35 and 41 of the Constitution.
He therefore voided the power of the Lagos
State Government and its agent to arrest
any citizen found moving between 7am and
10am on the last Saturday of every month
when the enviromental sanitation exercise is
observed.

We are gradually getting there. Big up to the judiciary on this one.
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction Duringlagos Monthly Sanitation by Nobody: 11:39am On Mar 16, 2015
A judge that understands the sovereign rights of every citizen. There is hope for Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction Duringlagos Monthly Sanitation by dtruth3(m): 11:44am On Mar 16, 2015
yes! now let the legal actions start in all states....!
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction Duringlagos Monthly Sanitation by richol(m): 11:45am On Mar 16, 2015
there's no bribe on this one so work went well...first time since time immemorial judiciary is working...GEJ TILL 2019
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction Duringlagos Monthly Sanitation by gateleo(m): 11:55am On Mar 16, 2015
Well, you are now welcomed to a dirtier & stinking lagos. Enviromental saturaday is the only time some streets get swept or gabbage get disposed in lagos.

Oga judge more grease to your elbow. By weight of probability, it is more beneficial to have this 3 hours movement restriction every month than not having!!! Common sense approach is superbly superior to this judgement!!!

I wonder why our judges can't use common sense on some issue.......
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction Duringlagos Monthly Sanitation by dein77(m): 12:07pm On Mar 16, 2015
gateleo:
Well, you are now welcomed to a dirtier & stinking lagos. Enviromental saturaday is the only time some streets get swept or gabbage get disposed in lagos.

Oga judge more grease to your elbow. By weight of probability, it is more beneficial to have this 3 hours movement restriction every month than not having!!! Common sense approach is superbly superior to this judgement!!!

I wonder why our judges can't use common sense on some issue.......

Please, I beg to differ while I still recognise your opinion.

As a matter of fact the Judge should be commended. Apart from the law violating our basic human rights as enshrined in our Constitution, that decree has never been effective in these modern times. Society has moved on and our laws should also be updated.

I'm yet to see any other nation where sanitation activities are limited to one measly Saturday every month, instead being a daily exercise.

Lagos can only get dirtier if there's no new relevant legislation after the current one is annulled. No nation stands still every last Saturday of every month for Environmental sanitation. It's an archaic pattern of environmental management.

State governments should employ and adequately train environmental sanitation officers who shall daily identify and sanction environmental offenders.
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction Duringlagos Monthly Sanitation by blackfase(m): 1:32pm On Mar 16, 2015
dein77:

Please, I beg to differ while I still recognise your opinion.

As a matter of fact the Judge should be commended. Apart from the law violating our basic human rights as enshrined in our Constitution, that decree has never been effective in these modern times. Society has moved on and our laws should also be updated.

I'm yet to see any other nation where sanitation activities are limited to one measly Saturday every month, instead being a daily exercise.

Lagos can only get dirtier if there's no new relevant legislation after the current one is annulled. No nation stands still every last Saturday of every month for Environmental sanitation. It's an archaic pattern of environmental management.

State governments should employ and adequately train environmental sanitation officers who shall daily identify and sanction environmental offenders.

(1) (Reply)

Where Is Putin? / Buhari Fails To Apologise For Jailing Journalists In 1984 / My Last Moments With AOA, The Late APC Governorship Aspirant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.