Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,798 members, 7,806,207 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:06 PM

Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding (27387 Views)

8 Home Remedies To Solve Menstrual Cramps. / Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding / Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by planbwellness: 5:58pm On Mar 16, 2015
CAUSES OF EXCESSIVE MENSTRUAL BLEEDING

Heavy or prolonged menstrual periods, or menorrhagia, are the most common type of abnormal bleeding from the uterus. Periods are considered heavy if there is enough blood to soak a pad or tampon every hour for several consecutive hours. Other symptoms of a heavy period can include:

Nighttime bleeding that requires getting up to change pads or tampons

Passing large blood clots during menstruation

A period that lasts longer than seven days

In severe cases, heavy menstruation can interfere with sleep and daily activities. Blood loss from heavy periods can also lead to anaemia, causing symptoms such as fatigue and shortness of breath.

In some cases, the cause of heavy menstrual bleeding is unknown, but a number of conditions may cause menorrhagia. Common causes include:

Hormone imbalance - In a normal menstrual cycle, a balance between the hormones estrogen and progesterone regulates the buildup of the lining of the uterus (endometrium), which is shed during menstruation. If a hormone imbalance occurs, the endometrium develops in excess and eventually sheds by way of heavy menstrual bleeding.

Dysfunction of the Ovaries – If your ovaries don’t release an egg (ovulate) during a menstrual cycle (anovulation), your body doesn’t produce the hormone progesterone, as it would during a normal menstrual cycle. This leads to hormone imbalance and may result in menorrhagia.

Uterine Fibroids – These noncancerous (benign) tumors of the uterus appear during your childbearing years. Uterine fibroids may cause heavier than normal or prolonged menstrual bleeding. Read about how to get rid of fibroids without surgery here…

Polyps – Small, benign growths on the lining of the uterus (uterine polyps) may cause heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding. Polyps of the uterus most commonly occur in women of reproductive age as the result of high hormone levels.

Adenomyosis – This condition occurs when glands from the endometrium become embedded in the uterine muscle, often causing heavy bleeding and painful menses. Adenomyosis is most likely to develop if you’re a middle-aged woman who has had children.

Intrauterine Device (IUD) – Menorrhagia is a well-known side effect of using a nonhormonal intrauterine device for birth control. When an IUD is the cause of excessive menstrual bleeding, you may need to remove it.

Pregnancy Complications – A single, heavy, late period may be due to a miscarriage. If bleeding occurs at the usual time of menstruation, however, miscarriage is unlikely to be the cause. An ectopic pregnancy — implantation of a fertilized egg within the fallopian tube instead of the uterus — also may cause menorrhagia.

Cancer – Rarely, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer and cervical cancer can cause excessive menstrual bleeding.

Inherited Bleeding Disorders – Some blood coagulation disorders — such as von Willebrand’s disease, a condition in which an important blood-clotting factor is deficient or impaired — can cause abnormal menstrual bleeding.

Medications – Certain drugs, including anti-inflammatory medications and anticoagulants, can contribute to heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding.

Other medical conditions – A number of other medical conditions, including pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), thyroid problems, endometriosis, and liver or kidney disease, may be associated with menorrhagia.

http://www.webmd.com/women/guide/heavy-period-causes-treatments

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by countsparrow: 6:10pm On Mar 16, 2015
Yukkkkkk!!!

Dis topic just fkuced up my meal...

FTC se sweet me like mad #dancing to Falila Ketan

1 Like

Re: Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by donigspain(m): 6:10pm On Mar 16, 2015
Damn! not now that I'm about to eat watermelon. angry

Quite an educative post anyway but I must stress the missing fact that STI/STD can also cause heavy flows, painful menstruation, irregular flows and extended days of flow. wink

13 Likes

Re: Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by tiamiyukunle69(m): 6:11pm On Mar 16, 2015
Insightful
Re: Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by lolaxavier(m): 6:11pm On Mar 16, 2015
Let me check myself first...sorry i don forget say i no be woman...
Re: Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by Bonapart(m): 6:11pm On Mar 16, 2015
*Spreads mat with cold nono*
Re: Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by flymallam: 6:11pm On Mar 16, 2015
Ok.
Re: Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by CR77(f): 6:11pm On Mar 16, 2015
Ok oo
Re: Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by missbehave247(m): 6:12pm On Mar 16, 2015
K
Re: Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by naijainfogalery: 6:12pm On Mar 16, 2015
educative but mehn how am i going to eat this evening now without thinking of red flag
Re: Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by LordEmperoris1(m): 6:12pm On Mar 16, 2015
kk
Re: Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by Nobody: 6:13pm On Mar 16, 2015
Ok noted!
Re: Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by Adesewa19(f): 6:13pm On Mar 16, 2015
Huh
Re: Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by rottable(m): 6:13pm On Mar 16, 2015
our women dey try ooooo

4 Likes

Re: Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by KINGTELLER: 6:15pm On Mar 16, 2015
God really took time to create Man..I just imagine how women cope... It is well with the female folks

5 Likes

Re: Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by dave2meek(m): 6:15pm On Mar 16, 2015
Op ndewo
Re: Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by seedorfg(m): 6:15pm On Mar 16, 2015
too much of phuckong
Re: Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by prettyjo(f): 6:16pm On Mar 16, 2015
I agree with this.
nice topic
Re: Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by Nobody: 6:16pm On Mar 16, 2015
Is there any solution to it?
Re: Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by Ishilove: 6:18pm On Mar 16, 2015
I wonder why men are rushing to comment. Weirdos angry

8 Likes

Re: Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by Vicjustice: 6:19pm On Mar 16, 2015
Irregular menstruation, prolong menstruation, or excessive bleeding etc are way more common with Caucasians (white people).
Re: Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by Situation001(m): 6:19pm On Mar 16, 2015
noted
Re: Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by Bdemmy(m): 6:19pm On Mar 16, 2015
Can it affect fertility?
Re: Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by Nobody: 6:19pm On Mar 16, 2015
countsparrow:
Yukkkkkk!!!

Dis topic just fkuced up my meal...

FTC se sweet me like mad #dancing to Falila Ketan

It will surely pass. Smh
Re: Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by Johnheir2(m): 6:21pm On Mar 16, 2015
Lemme ask my grandma about dis... Cos the words of elder are consider true.. Hope she'll understand all the grammar
Re: Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by jerryjere(m): 6:21pm On Mar 16, 2015
Well very educative but all those big big grammar like ademo something name adebayo you wan talk.
Re: Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by Nobody: 6:21pm On Mar 16, 2015
Booked

This can affect the price of sanitary pad... thereby dollar is involved undecided undecided

Good topic sad
Re: Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by collinsJn(m): 6:21pm On Mar 16, 2015
Very Educative.......... Thanks. And Some Days Back I overheard One Of these Herbal Dudes dat Sells drugs On d Road side,saying If U experience Very Small Menstrual Flow,Bla,Bla Come To Us it's a disese The person Is Suffering 4rm.
Nw I knw It's All Lies......
Re: Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by planbwellness: 6:21pm On Mar 16, 2015
Amusaopeyemi:
Is there any solution to it?

Yes, there is a solution to it and you can read about it here - http://planbwellness.com/bleeding/
Re: Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by Xb4Real: 6:22pm On Mar 16, 2015
Damn it! una no want make person chop dis night, abi?
Re: Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding by planbwellness: 6:22pm On Mar 16, 2015
Bdemmy:
Can it affect fertility?

Yes, it may if not taken care of.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"Be Cautious": Ikpeazu Speaks From Isolation Center Over His COVID-19 Infection / NAFDAC To Test Indomie Noodles, Says Importation Already Banned / How To Fix A Whitlow Deformed Finger Nails

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.