Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,557 members, 7,809,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:25 PM

Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's (3337 Views)

Origin Of Common Nigerian Pidgin Words (i.e., Igbo, Yoruba, Or Hausa) / To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? / Why Are People Afraid Of 'EMBER' Months? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's by smilyice(m): 9:23pm On Mar 16, 2015
An Average Yoruba or Hausa man they tend to classify others who don't speak any of the aforementioned language as IGBO....neglecting the fact that we still have the SS people e.g the Efik/Ibibio, idoma,Ijaws...Are they igbo's ... I need clarity
Re: Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's by Fulaman198(m): 9:27pm On Mar 16, 2015
smilyice:
An Average Yoruba or Hausa man they tend to classify others who don't speak any of the aforementioned language as IGBO....neglecting the fact that we still have the SS people e.g the Efik/Ibibio, idoma,Ijaws...Are they igbo's ... I need clarity

That's not true at all, there are people in the North who don't speak Hausa. There are even some Fulani people who don't speak Hausa and only speak Fulfulde. So that's certainly not true.
Re: Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's by smilyice(m): 9:33pm On Mar 16, 2015
Wow! I haven't heard about FULFULDE......so u mean even in the north we have nigerians that don't speak Hausa/Fulani
Re: Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's by Young03(m): 10:15pm On Mar 16, 2015
But bro goggle can xplain more 4u
Re: Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's by Nature129(m): 10:29pm On Mar 16, 2015
The reason is that Nigeria before now was divided into 3 main region: Northern, western and eastern. So the major languages of the people in those regions are Hausa/Fulani, Yoruba and Igbo respectively. There are many tribes in the north who don't speak Hausa but nobody cares same thing goes for Ikwerre, ijaw, Ibibio, Efik, etc they are all regarded as minority of the Igbos so don't be surprised if you are called Igbo. You had better learn the language now. I hope that answers your question.
Re: Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's by smilyice(m): 10:40pm On Mar 16, 2015
Nature129:
The reason is that Nigeria before now was divided into 3 main region: Northern, western and eastern. So the major languages of the people in those regions are Hausa/Fulani, Yoruba and Igbo respectively. There are many tribes in the north who don't speak Hausa but nobody cares same thing goes for Ikwerre, ijaw, Ibibio, Efik, etc they are all regarded as minority of the Igbos so don't be surprised if you are called Igbo. You had better learn the language now. I hope that answers your question.
. Yep, that so true but" minority of the Igbo's" sounds awkward
Re: Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's by Fulaman198(m): 1:38am On Mar 17, 2015
smilyice:
Wow! I haven't heard about FULFULDE......so u mean even in the north we have nigerians that don't speak Hausa/Fulani

Hausa and Fulani are not the same thing....Learn2Google what Fulfulde is, it's the language of the Fulani people.
Re: Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's by smilyice(m): 5:50am On Mar 17, 2015
Fulaman198:

Hausa and Fulani are not the same thing....Learn2Google what Fulfulde is, it's the language of the Fulani people.
. Ok tenx,I got that
Re: Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's by Funjosh(m): 8:30am On Mar 17, 2015
The reason is not far fecth, most people that do generalise like that are people that do not travel. Travel and you will learn and understand alot about this country and her people.

1 Like

Re: Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's by iconize(m): 11:21am On Mar 17, 2015
Fulaman198:

Nigerians are the only set of peeps that lump Hausa and Fulani together.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's by smilyice(m): 12:57pm On Mar 17, 2015
iconize:
. Sure
Re: Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's by Fulaman198(m): 4:08pm On Mar 17, 2015
iconize:

Very true
Re: Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's by iconize(m): 6:46pm On Mar 17, 2015
Fulaman198:

Very true
Reason being that Nigerian Fulanis have been Hausanized, like the other Northern minorities.
Re: Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's by smilyice(m): 7:26pm On Mar 17, 2015
iconize:

Reason being that Nigerian Fulanis have been Hausanized, like the other Northern minorities.
. When u say other Hausa minorities....Are they really many?,I knw quite well that the igbo are the ones with so many minorities.....the list is long....Now I have to do a research on this (I.e) the hausa minorities.tenx
Re: Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's by iconize(m): 8:19pm On Mar 17, 2015
smilyice:
. When u say other Hausa minorities....Are they really many?,I knw quite well that the igbo are the ones with so many minorities.....the list is long....Now I have to do a research on this (I.e) the hausa minorities.tenx
Lmao!
I said Northern minorities not Hausa minorities.

1 Like

Re: Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's by Nobody: 8:49pm On Mar 17, 2015
smilyice:

What does 'Hausa minorities' and 'Igbo minorities' mean?

I hope it is not the ethnic minorities in the old Eastern Region that you're referring to as 'Igbo minorities'.

1 Like

Re: Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's by Fulaman198(m): 12:32am On Mar 18, 2015
iconize:

Not all of us, I'm from a very traditional Fulani home. Most Fulani from the northeast are
Re: Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's by iconize(m): 7:17am On Mar 18, 2015
Fulaman198:

Not all of us, I'm from a very traditional Fulani home. Most Fulani from the northeast are
Only about 20% of Nigerian Fulanis are like you.
Re: Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's by Fulaman198(m): 8:16am On Mar 18, 2015
iconize:

It's really about 50% mainly living in Adamawa, Taraba and Gombe states
Re: Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's by adamskutty(m): 8:53am On Mar 18, 2015
iconize:

haha! Iconize u are alive grin
Re: Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's by iconize(m): 11:08am On Mar 18, 2015
Fulaman198:

It's really about 50% mainly living in Adamawa, Taraba and Gombe states
You wish, lmao!
You must be talking about Fulani migrants.
Re: Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's by iconize(m): 11:10am On Mar 18, 2015
adamskutty:
haha! Iconize u are alive grin
Lmao!
How are you doing, bro?
Re: Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's by adamskutty(m): 11:31am On Mar 18, 2015
iconize:

Lmao!
How are you doing, bro?
perfectly ok, where have u been?
Re: Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's by Nobody: 3:12am On Apr 06, 2015
Fulaman198:

Thanks a lot mate! Hausas and fulanis are completely different ethnicities! Although I once read a post of yours that I found amusing where you said hausas tend to be dark, correct me if I'm wrong but though there are no doubt fair fulanis, most fulanis in nigeria (especially taraba, adamawa) and africa in general are the darkest people you'll ever meet. You do know hausas are the most racially diverse ethnic group in west africa right? I HATE the fact that because I'm a little bit fair certain people just tend to conclude that I'm fulani like WTF? I am 100% friggin hausa!!! Its really frustrating, this whole hausa fulani business is really annoying sometimes! Some people are really starting to lose touch with their roots. And BTW, I mean no offence, I still consider fulanis our brothers because of what we've been through but WE ARE NOT FRIGGIN THE SAME!!! Nice to see someone who actually understands!

1 Like

Re: Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's by Fulaman198(m): 6:51am On Apr 06, 2015
EzioAuditore:

Thanks a lot mate! Hausas and fulanis are completely different ethnicities! Although I once read a post of yours that I found amusing where you said hausas tend to be dark, correct me if I'm wrong but though there are no doubt fair fulanis, most fulanis in nigeria (especially taraba, adamawa) and africa in general are the darkest people you'll ever meet. You do know hausas are the most racially diverse ethnic group in west africa right? I HATE the fact that because I'm a little bit fair certain people just tend to conclude that I'm fulani like WTF? I am 100% friggin hausa!!! Its really frustrating, this whole hausa fulani business is really annoying sometimes! Some people are really starting to lose touch with their roots. And BTW, I mean no offence, I still consider fulanis our brothers because of what we've been through but WE ARE NOT FRIGGIN THE SAME!!! Nice to see someone who actually understands!

Hausas tend to be dark and most Hausa in Nigeria aren't even authetnically Hausa anymore. Real Hausa today can still be found in Nigeria, but not in great number. Niger Republic is the place to find real Hausa. Most Hausa have become mixed with Fulani blood.

Fulani being dark as anything is quite rare and I don't know if you are mistaking maccube for Fulani.
Re: Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's by Nobody: 10:22am On Apr 06, 2015
Fulaman198:

Hausas tend to be dark and most Hausa in Nigeria aren't even authetnically Hausa anymore. Real Hausa today can still be found in Nigeria, but not in great number. Niger Republic is the place to find real Hausa. Most Hausa have become mixed with Fulani blood.

Fulani being dark as anything is quite rare and I don't know if you are mistaking maccube for Fulani.

Like I said, we are the most racially diverse ethnicity in west africa so making such assumptions is absolutely baseless. The fulanis in senegal, burkina faso, mali, other parts of africa and some parts of Nigeria are all as dark as they come, safe to say the dark ones cormfortably outnumber the fair ones except if you don't consider them fulanis? As to your claim about the authenticity of hausas in Nigeria I think most if not all the Hausas that have fulani influence in their bloodline know and acknowledge it but I don't believe the mixed hausas outnumber the pure hausas.

1 Like

Re: Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's by lepasharon(f): 11:30pm On Apr 11, 2015
Wow im learning alot form the culture section
Re: Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's by smilyice(m): 7:24am On Apr 13, 2015
lepasharon:
Wow im learning alot form the culture section
. Sure u will

(1) (Reply)

Akwaibom/crossriver Caps / Traditional Nigerian Beauty Standards? / BUSH BABY? Boy Killed An Unknown Animal In Enugu (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.