Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,426 members, 7,808,526 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:02 PM

The Strange Girl (short story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Strange Girl (short story) (2350 Views)

Love Really Is Strange / The Player And The Cele Girl (short story) / The Story Of A Blind Girl-short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Strange Girl (short story) by Yongi99(m): 10:23pm On Mar 16, 2015
So I had just closed from work that evening. And was standing by the gate waiting to get a keke or a bike that will take me from marina road up to Watt junction. I saw a keke coming, I flagged it, but the driver drove past me. Apparently the vehicle was full. But the keke stopped at the end of the dockyard’s fence and a girl dropped off. The driver then signaled me to come that there was now space for me. I shook my head “I no dey go again abeg…I don see beta thing” I said to myself. As the keke left, the girl started typing on her phone while walking slowly down the road. Meanwhile, I was admiring her from behind.

She wore a red mini gown that really hugged her body. I wanted to see if her face actually complimented her beautiful body, so I doubled up my steps, to meet up with her. I finally got to her. I said “Hi beautiful”. She turned and looked at me and smiled. She fixed her face back on her phone. She was using a Samsung Galaxy S5. Mehn…that smile on her face was the best thing I had seen that day, because she was truly beautiful. She had a light complexioned skin. She didn’t say a word though, but I took her smile to mean “Hello handsome”. I decided to push my luck a little further, I asked her where she was heading and she didn’t say a word. “Hmmmm….after that cute smile you just gave me, you won’t even say a word to me?....girls sef.” I said in my mind.

Then she put her phone away in her purse, I was happy, thinking she would pay attention to me now. But I was wrong. She turned to her right and started walking towards the river bank. I asked her where she was going. Suddenly that cute smile reappeared on her face again. She said “Follow me”. I replied, “To where?” “Just come I want to show you something” she answered.

I automatically engaged reverse gear in my legs. I backed up three steps. She was now getting closer to the river bank. She walked into the river, and continued until the water got to the top of her shoulders. She turned to me again and beckoned me to join her. I went back two more steps. I was beginning to wonder if this was a quicker way to commit suicide. I looked around, nobody else saw what was happening. I took that with mixed feelings though. One, I didn’t want people to think I had a hand in someone’s suicide mission (someone I didn’t even know). Two, I wished people were around to see what was happening so they could go in and stop her from whatever she had in mind. While thinking, my eyes were still set on her, I didn’t see fear or any form of sadness on her face. Then she walked into the water completely, her head all inside the water. After some seconds she came up again. This time her dress was gone. Her bare skin shone in the evening sun. And she seemed to grow taller, because the water was now on her chest on the same spot that she was totally submerged in few seconds ago.
She turned around and dived into the water as she started swimming across the river. She swam in a zigzag manner and was bringing up her head at intervals. She was heading into the deeper part of the river. And then I couldn’t see her anymore. She had disappeared.

I was still standing there, completely lost, when I heard, “Oboy!.....you never go? Wetin you dey do for there?” I turned and waved at the person on the bike. I opened my mouth to say “Bye-bye” but i couldn't find my voice. She waved back though. It was the canteen attendant. I was sweating. What the hell just happened? Was it for real? I started walking towards the road to get a keke or a bike, as I earlier planned. But I felt like someone was following me from behind. I turned around and saw no one. When I faced my front again, I felt like running….but I just switched to jogging (as guy man). As I got to the roadside I got a bike and began my journey home.
What an evening!!!

1 Like

Re: The Strange Girl (short story) by Nobody: 10:24pm On Mar 16, 2015
abcde

(1) (Reply)

My Own Book Review, Please Read! / The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith (J.K. Rowling) Nigerian Factor / Even Heaven Agreed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.