Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,243 members, 7,807,824 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:56 PM

Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview (10505 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie's Make-Up Advert On London Billboard (Photo) / Chimamanda Adichie Makes Vanity Fair List Of International Best Dressed / Chimamanda Adichie And Her Husband Welcomed A Daughter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by Nobody: 6:06pm On Mar 17, 2015
Interviewer: Were you taken aback by the success of both TEDx talks?

Chimamanda: Yes, I she was taken aback by the success of both of those talks. "The things I think will do really well are not the things that do really well." I said yes to the 2013 TED invitation mainly because it was organised by my brother, Chuks, who works in information technology and development, and I wanted to help him out. "But I thought, I don't have anything to talk about. I'm not the kind of person who can manufacture things when I don't care deeply about them. But my brother said, well, there is this one thing you give us endless lectures about…" "Because it's known in my family, you don't want to demean women in my presence! And I knew this wasn't a comfortable subject, particularly for the people I was addressing, an African audience. "I was still writing it when I went up to speak, and afterwards, clearly people had listened, clearly people felt strongly about it - but I let it go. So they put it online, and only then I heard about people using it in their classes, about people arguing about it at work and school." But the approach from Beyoncé was unexpected.

Interviewer: What do you think about the Beyonce's collaboration?

Chimamanda: But the one thing I will say is that I really do think Beyoncé is a force for good, as much as celebrity things go. I know there has been lot of talk in the past year about how feminism is 'cool' now, but I think if we are honest, it's not a subject that's easy. She didn't have to do this, she could have taken on, I don't know, world peace. Or nothing at all. And I realise that so many young people in our celebrity-obsessed world, well, suddenly they are thinking about this. And that's a wonderful thing. So I don't have any reservations about having said yes."

Interviewer: What makes you angry? Do you get in trouble for speaking your mind?

Chimamanda: The oppression of women, she says, "Makes me angry. I can't not be angry. I don't know how you can just be calm. My family says to me, 'Oh, you're such a man!' - you know, very lovingly… But of course I'm not, I just don't see why I shouldn't speak my mind."

She got into trouble for speaking her mind in Nigeria: when an interviewer addressed her as Mrs Chimamanda Adichie, she corrected him, saying she wished to be known as "Ms", which the journalist reported as "Miss". Her insistence on her own family name was all over the news here last spring. She should be happy to be addressed as "Mrs", she was told, since she was, after all, married. She laughs now, but it's clear the story still disturbs her. "It was the lack of gratitude on my part for having a husband. And yet I didn't want to proclaim it: I wanted to claim my own name."

Interviewer: What do you think of race in Nigeria.

Chimamanda: "In Nigeria I'm not black," she says simply. "We don't do race in Nigeria. We do ethnicity a lot, but not race. My friends here don't really get it. Some of them sound like white Southerners from 1940. They say, 'Why are black people complaining about race? Racism doesn't exist!' It's just not a part of their existence."

Interviewer: Her thoughts on "Half of a yellow Sun", the movie and Lupita purchasing film rights to Americanah.

Chimamanda: And with the film of Half of a Yellow Sun - I remember Thandie Newton saying to me that it was important to her because you don't usually get to see black love on the screen this way." I had almost no involvement with the film "because my book means so much to me", but she was pleased with it, despite the fact that it was a small production. "It was very indie; they shot it in 12 days or something. I sometimes imagine what it would have been if it had been a grand production. But I do think it's a film that was lovingly done."

As, doubtless, Americanah will be: optioned by Brad Pitt's company Plan B, it is to star Lupita Nyong'o, the Mexican-Kenyan actress from 12 Years a Slave, for whom Adichie "writes with the voice of a modern Africa, where ideas of tradition and modernity interact… She is witty, frank and compassionate, and her writing feels timeless and contemporary at once." Nyong'o was an admirer of Adichie's books long before she was cast in Americanah: "For the first time I felt that someone had found the words to express sentiments, analyse situations about the rich and varied African immigrant experience, in a way I never could."

http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/2015/03/13/chimamanda-ngozi-adichie-novelist-ted-speaker-interview

6 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by Airforce1(m): 6:07pm On Mar 17, 2015
Beautiful woman

pride of N'digbo
smiley

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by GboyegaD(m): 6:10pm On Mar 17, 2015
She is getting more prettier as she grows older. I love her classy styles as well.

5 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by Nobody: 6:26pm On Mar 17, 2015
she makes me proud cheesy

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by Nobody: 10:56am On Mar 18, 2015
The most annoying thing is: referring a strong woman as man.

Gosh! That's demeaning. sad

10 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by Nobody: 11:09am On Mar 18, 2015
..... embarassed
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by 5p1naz(m): 11:20am On Mar 18, 2015
cheesy
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by Bonapart(m): 11:20am On Mar 18, 2015
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by Vicjustice: 11:21am On Mar 18, 2015
Is this about her interview or about her pictures?

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by Nobody: 11:21am On Mar 18, 2015
Yoruba
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by bastien: 11:22am On Mar 18, 2015
Ok what, next

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by Chiefpriest1(m): 11:22am On Mar 18, 2015
I like this babe sha. Always looking African and sounding brilliant. Not all these dumb girls who think that life is about the latest phones and hair.

I wonder how a sane human being would spend two hours in front of the mirror and still look like a painted doll at the end of the day.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by Nobody: 11:22am On Mar 18, 2015
Beauty plus brains

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by ozoigbondu: 11:22am On Mar 18, 2015
Chimanda making Ndigbo proud

Ndiigbo kwenu

9 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by Nobody: 11:23am On Mar 18, 2015
Going Places, Vogue is a BIG DEAL
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by MKO4ever(m): 11:23am On Mar 18, 2015
Interviewer: What do you think about the Beyonce's collaboration?

Chimamanda: But the one thing I will say is that I really do think Beyoncé is a force for good, as much as celebrity things go. I know there has been lot of talk in the past year about how feminism is 'cool' now, but I think if we are honest, it's not a subject that's easy. She didn't have to do this, she could have taken on, I don't know, world peace. Or nothing at all. And I realise that so many young people in our celebrity-obsessed world, well, suddenly they are thinking about this. And that's a wonderful thing. So I don't have any reservations about having said yes."

None of my business !!!!!!!!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by Mayor21(m): 11:24am On Mar 18, 2015
Tchw
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by apcmustwin(f): 11:24am On Mar 18, 2015
ok
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by Chukwutobi: 11:30am On Mar 18, 2015
Beautiful woman

Simple woman

Well dressed!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by Johnnoo(m): 11:31am On Mar 18, 2015
Nice one
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by sophtaf(f): 11:31am On Mar 18, 2015
Ok
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by Glowww(f): 11:36am On Mar 18, 2015
Am proud of Adichie. She z a true representative of an African woman.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by iphanyiuma(m): 11:39am On Mar 18, 2015
how does this resolve the issue of less power supply
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by JoeCutie(m): 11:44am On Mar 18, 2015
No matter how 'big', rich and famous this lady is, she still knows and identifies with where she comes from. She's an epitome of:
#Originality
#Class
#Intelligence
#Wisdom
#Elegance
#Simplicity
#Beauty smiley

#AfricaAndProud
#RealAfricanWoman
#TheBossLady.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by proxitaly: 11:50am On Mar 18, 2015
great writer I will say

but I am anti-feminism.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by eljidy(m): 11:52am On Mar 18, 2015
nice...let me put my armor on and start fighting for MEN now.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by mdgreen(m): 11:59am On Mar 18, 2015
Watch this video and see what the adhoc staff pass through in the hand of inec officers by refusing to us our training allowance
[url]http://ideaboxss..com/2015/03/adhoc-training-allowance-saga.html?m=1[/URL]

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by Kriptic: 12:02pm On Mar 18, 2015
Chimamanda...the supreme bae! kiss
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by Niwdog(m): 12:03pm On Mar 18, 2015
Kestolove95 u no go see this one type 'igbo' again?

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by samdelaw(m): 12:10pm On Mar 18, 2015
I hav a crush on this lady mehn
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by mustaphagreens(m): 12:12pm On Mar 18, 2015
I am naturally attracted to women with brains, beauty too me is but a mere bonus.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Vogue Recent Interview by kestolove95(m): 12:17pm On Mar 18, 2015
Niwdog:
Kestolove95 u no go see this one type 'igbo' again?
hahahaha....my guy, one bottle of orijin for u fro reminding me...
It's igbo again..d most. Productive and we'll culture people of nigeria...d blessing and gift to nigeria

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tale Of A House Boy / "Last Night" / Beware of the Scammer Tommyikes, Maya, Fidelis or Ifeanyi(Patricia) Aganyi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.