Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,767 members, 7,806,102 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:27 AM

Why Are Soft Drinks Called MINERAL In Nigeria? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Are Soft Drinks Called MINERAL In Nigeria? (9321 Views)

Watch As People Steal Creates Of Mineral After Accident / UNBELIEVEABLE - Bill Gate Drinks Poop Water / Lastly I Found My Name At Coca-cola Bottle Drinks.... See Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Soft Drinks Called MINERAL In Nigeria? by Ch1z0(m): 9:20pm On Mar 17, 2015
Ever since I was a kid we've been calling these drinks - coke, sprite, mirinda e.t.c mineral. But now I can't seem to get why it's called mineral..
Abeg any history behind it?
Re: Why Are Soft Drinks Called MINERAL In Nigeria? by kilokeys(m): 9:22pm On Mar 17, 2015
i checked its etymology.. and the british are the cause..

the irish refer to anything thats not animal or vegetable as mineral..
and mineral was coined from minera which means ore

minerals are inorganic substance occuring naturally

ore is the concentration of this inorganic substances

na dem papa dem wan confuse sha

Re: Why Are Soft Drinks Called MINERAL In Nigeria? by SeverusSnape(m): 9:23pm On Mar 17, 2015
I've wondered about that too, You know Nigerians and their namings...Some decades back, a Northern politician was asked, "what Mineral resources does your state have?"... The man was like..." kano is blessed with so much minerals such as Pepsi, Brama, Mirinda, 7up....". T'was a long time ago undecided

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Soft Drinks Called MINERAL In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Mar 17, 2015
I think it has to do with etymology of the word minerals.
Re: Why Are Soft Drinks Called MINERAL In Nigeria? by ozoigbondu: 9:29pm On Mar 17, 2015
The answer is exactly why we call every detergent omo or every candy sweet

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Soft Drinks Called MINERAL In Nigeria? by achinaboy(m): 10:49pm On Mar 17, 2015
i think it has to do with the so called wise men that told the white people to leave us alone so we can rule ourselves,then the white men left,and then they came back to us and started teaching us rubbish,and now we are addicted to the stupid names,,its a shame that some of my close friends after living in europe for more than 20years,they still come to my house,and when i ask them,what can i offer u,one would say beer,they other hot drink,and then the other,just give me minara, try and seee the spelling of the minara because this is how he usually sounds
Re: Why Are Soft Drinks Called MINERAL In Nigeria? by 19naia(m): 4:47am On Mar 18, 2015
Mineral waters and spirits were the drinks of the british... Things like Lucozade were common in those early days of bringing coca ola to Nigeria and thats just what they were, mineral waters.. They were literally enhanced with substances that came in powder form as was always the case from long ago.. Sometimes it was mineral salts, medicinal substances and concentrates ground from spices... Thats also what comprised tonics... Tonic water...
Eventually the beverages evolved as sugar and concentraded flavorings were developed, but they were still served in the same bottled form as the old fashioned Mineral waters and tonic waters.... Tonic was from the school of being a healthy benefit and the medical practice favored it, while mineral waters were more favored by the main stream casual beverage consumers... Gin and Tonic, tonic water with bitters such as quinine, still exist today from the old practice of colonial days when quinine was discovered from the natives in south america and began to be a favorite additive to drinks for health benefits like warding off parasites and such as the ones causeing malaria.. It would be in a powder form and resemble mineral salts... Thus Mineral water or tonic water...

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Soft Drinks Called MINERAL In Nigeria? by saji12: 10:31am On Feb 04, 2018
Because the earliest form of carbonated or fizzy water was from pressurized mineral springs and was therefore sold as mineral water, later people worked out how to add gas to tap water but the name stuck, its also called 'pop' in england because that was the noise the top made when you opened it.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Peace Corps Bill Scaled Through Second Reading. / How Is LAWMA Faring In Your Area? / Your Condolence Message To The Families Of 25th Bomb Blast St theresa cath churc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.