Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,128 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:22 AM

Nintendo Goes Mobile!! - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Nintendo Goes Mobile!! (1442 Views)

Play Nintendo Games On Iphone/ipad/ipod Touch Using A New Ios Emulator / Nintendo Wii For Sale or Trade with PSP or PS Vita (add some cash) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nintendo Goes Mobile!! by rezy15(m): 9:18am On Mar 18, 2015
Nintendo has gone mobile.

The maker of Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, which has long resisted any suggestions that it put its games on smartphones and tablets, said today that it would team with DeNA, one of Japan’s leading mobile game companies, to create games using its popular franchises for mobile devices. The two companies will enter into a capital alliance that will see Nintendo acquire 10 percent of DeNA’s outstanding stock for about 22 billion yen and DeNA acquire 1.24 percent of Nintendo’s stock for approximately the same amount.

“Nintendo has decided to utilize smart devices aggressively,” said Nintendo’s president Satoru Iwata in a joint presentation with DeNA earlier today. “Now that smart devices have grown to become the window for so many people to personally connect with society, it would be a waste not to use these devices.”

“We are challenging ourselves to redefine what ‘Nintendo platforms’ mean,” Iwata said. The emphasis is on the word "new" -- you won't necessarily be getting Super Mario Bros. ports on your Android smartphone, for instance. Instead, the companies said "only new original games optimized for smart device functionality will be created, rather than porting games created specifically for the Wii U home console or the Nintendo 3DS portable system." In other words, it looks like Nintendo has relented to investors who said it's not profiting enough from its valuable intellectual property, and you may soon see its universe of characters pop up in Candy Crush-style mobile games.

Iwata did not specify which games or franchises might be headed to smart devices. A Super Mario endless runner? Zelda Crush Saga? Nintendo’s chief didn’t say, but he did rule out a specific category of games: Nintendo will not, as so many publishers have, simply port its existing classic game software to phones.

“There are significant differences in the controls, strengths and weaknesses between the controllers for dedicated game systems and the touchscreens of smart devices,” he said. “We have no intention at all to port existing game titles for dedicated game platforms to smart devices because if we cannot provide our consumers with the best possible play experiences, it would just ruin the value of Nintendo’s IP.”

Although Iwata, in the presentation, pointed out the current weakness of Nintendo’s sales of dedicated game devices like Wii U and 3DS, he said the company remains committed to producing game hardware. To that end, he announced that Nintendo has a “dedicated game platform with a brand-new concept under the development codename ‘NX'” that it will discuss next year.

Nintendo and DeNA will also partner to create a customer membership program that will span all devices, to replace the company’s Club Nintendo customer loyalty program that it wound down earlier this year.

“I believe teaming up with Nintendo is the best possible strategy to achieve growth in DeNA’s core business of mobile gaming,” said DeNA president and CEO Isao Moriyasu. “I grew up playing Nintendo games, and I’m already excited that I will soon be able to play Nintendo IP games on smart devices.”

http://www.wired.com/2015/03/nintendo-dena-mobile/
http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/17/nintendo-is-finally-developing-smartphone-games/

Re: Nintendo Goes Mobile!! by Merlissa(f): 9:42am On Mar 18, 2015
Yayyyyyyyy!!!

Miss playing mario and zelda

1 Like

Re: Nintendo Goes Mobile!! by cubits12x: 12:34pm On Mar 18, 2015
Nintendo has never opposed the idea of making mobile games. they have only been reluctant to turn it into their new core business as Sega and Square Enix have tried to do.
They have identified an opportunity to introduce the mobile multitude to the magic of key NIntendo IP and unique gameplay experiences only made possible by Nintendo's development teams..
this might have a disruptive effect for the nexz gen consoles though... it would be interesting to see how Microsoft and Sony respond to this... and they might respond as soon as E3 2015.
Re: Nintendo Goes Mobile!! by parrotibaba(m): 4:35pm On Mar 27, 2015
just get d Android emulator n enjoy ur Nintendo games on ur phone

1 Like

Re: Nintendo Goes Mobile!! by littlegamergirl(f): 2:07pm On Apr 02, 2015
Wow! This is a dream come true! The emulators lag on my phone. I love Nintendo!!

(1) (Reply)

Elite Killer Cheat / HELP: How Can I Hack Injustice Gods Among Us / Rx480 Graphic Card For Sale At 80k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.