Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,134 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:46 AM

Resource Guarding In Dogs - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Resource Guarding In Dogs (819 Views)

Puppy Nipple Guarding Whelping And Raising Puppies / Can Someone Pls Tell Me The Disadvantages Of Inbreeding In Dogs / Early Signs Of Pregnancy In Dogs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Resource Guarding In Dogs by Prodeegee(m): 3:32pm On Mar 18, 2015
Most people find it funny when their dog protects an item or its food from someone or another dog. Some even find it interesting. It might be Food, A chew-bone, or even when someone comes close to you.

Most Dog habits begin from puppy stage. It was a behavior left unattended and later in the dogs life, It becomes a problem, both for the dog and the owner.

Resource guarding is a very dangerous behavior. For example, An adult dog was brought to my house and i fed the dog. while the dog was eating, i was going to the door and immediately my leg got close to her food, she bit me on the leg. Now this is how dangerous the behavior can be.

A dog with this behavior has assumed the position of a pack leader. He will guard whatever he consider HIS.

Things like:
Food
Toys
Personal space or sleeping space
Leash
Food or water bowl
Puppy or other dogs.
The truth is, A dog guards anything it owns.

Dealing With Resource Guarding

Resource guarding can be well contained if noticed from puppy stage. However, It can be managed at adult stage. here are some steps to contain this behavior.

Training: The most important step after owning a dog is training. Training gets rid of most dog behaviors and makes them more well-behaved.

Pack-Order: If a dog is preventing you from picking its plates, it has assumed the position of the pack leader. Re-take your position as the leader of the pack.

Saying NO: With a firm NO make him know you aren't joking. pick up the toy and place it where he'll see it but cant touch.(If he doesn't listen, wait till he has left the toy.) keep it there for days. when next you want to offer the toy, make sure he sits before you offer the toy.

Teach the leave-it command: This also helps. follow this few steps
hold a treat your dog likes up and say "leave it". when your dog drops the toy, pick up the toy and give him the treat.

Source:http://www..com/2015/03/resource-guarding-in-dogs.html
Re: Resource Guarding In Dogs by chidiidika(m): 9:29am On Mar 19, 2015
Oga Prodeegee please comment on this puppy as a veteran..

(1) (Reply)

Great Caucasian Male For My Female... / My Babies Hit Nigeria Tomorrow / A Stud Needed Anywhere In Kaduna Or Kano State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.