Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,609 members, 7,801,771 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:27 PM

What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars (103519 Views)

Is Driving Automatic Cars With Both Feet Bad? / List Out Functions You'll Want New Cars To Have. / Disadvantages Of Automatic Trasnmision Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by ladon1: 6:16pm On Mar 24, 2015
very educative thread
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by 44chux(m): 12:10am On Sep 29, 2015
A miracle happened.
While trying to kill a mosquito at 160km/h in a honda ridgeline, I accidentally hit the gear lever into P.
Immediately I saw myself in my house looking at my family and trying to say goodbye. When I regained conscieousness in the car, I was surprised the car was still speeding along smoothly but for the continous snapping sound. I instantly pushed the lever back to D and continued on the journey. All this happened in about 3 seconds. Later went to the workshop and checked the tranny and everything was ok
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by jayriginal: 7:10am On Sep 29, 2015
nurey:

I beg to differ on this, engine braking is safer than using the normal brake I tried this on a 1992 honda accord popularly called HALA, at 100km/h, in 5th gear, I down shifted to gear 2 depressed the accelerator and the car slowed down without any jerk or loss of control, done at abk, NNPC road to iyana mortuary express.

On the way to the mortuary?

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by lonelydora: 9:21am On Sep 29, 2015
Your gear lock release has been tampered with before now. No need to say more. All the bosses above have said it all.
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by nurey(m): 4:31pm On Sep 29, 2015
jayriginal:

On the way to the mortuary?

seems you are one of those who has never touched a stick shift before. That's one of the security features a stick shift uses to surpass automatic

1 Like

Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by jayriginal: 7:14pm On Sep 29, 2015
nurey:

seems you are one of those who has never touched a stick shift before. That's one of the security features a stick shift uses to surpass automatic

He he he

All my cars have been stick. I find autos boring. My friends say I'm bush.

That's not the point though. The point is the last line of the statement. ". . . mortuary express. . ."

I was just highlighting.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by nurey(m): 7:30pm On Sep 29, 2015
jayriginal:

He he he

All my cars have been stick. I find autos boring. My friends say I'm bush.

That's not the point though. The point is the last line of the statement. ". . . mortuary express. . ."

I was just highlighting.

it's very funny though especially when you hear passengers hailing cabs and saying "iyano mortuary"
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by jayriginal: 9:26pm On Sep 29, 2015
nurey:

it's very funny though especially when you hear passengers hailing cabs and saying "iyano mortuary"

I can only imagine.

Sometimes peeps order beer. Then you'll hear things like "Madam I hope say na mortuary standard oh".
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by ryanfletcher: 11:15pm On Sep 29, 2015
well it seems even the auto cars are now upgrading from d to d1_d2_ what have you,well what a life ,nothing stays forever.....
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by Le2money(m): 4:21am On Nov 17, 2015
Thanks 4 d posts above bt as for a first timer on auto cars,can i stil play safe on the "D" gear without shifting frm D1,D2 or D3 respectively on a long distance journey & d car wil stil act normally without developing any mechanic fault...cox i handle manual cars averagely well though nt so expert in driving cars unlike my 2tyres ride(motorcycle).....PLS HELP A BROTHER COX I DNT WANNA DIE YOUNG
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by Kemillion(m): 10:01pm On Jun 09, 2017
mine is an old v-boot Mercedes Benz 230, and the gearing system is P, N, R, D, 1,2 abeg hw i go take use my june 12
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by hmohammed(m): 7:23am On Jun 10, 2017
Many people go visit mechanic very soon with this gear changing preaching wey I dey hear for this platform

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by sharpchap: 7:26am On Jun 10, 2017
Pls don't use ur gear to brake to avoid over revving engine damage. I havnt read all the threads so I hope someone has pointed this out. Always use your brakes pls.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by cyborg123(m): 7:27am On Jun 10, 2017
nurey:

Lol
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by stpat1(m): 7:32am On Jun 10, 2017
abatically:
To add to the points already made by emekan, the d1, d2, d3 can also be used for engine braking. That is u can use it to downshift when u are going down the hill or nearing a red light and u don't won't to use ur brakes, just like in manual. If u are moving say in gear 4 and u shift to d2, ur car will downshift to gear 2, likewise ur car will downshift to gear 1 if u shift to d1. This is useful in slowing down the car in case of brake failure.

Also professional drivers use this to control when they want their cars to shift to lower or higher gears at the right rpm. A professional driver who knows how to handle auto gears will outrun an ordinary driver even when they are both driving the same cars with the same auto tranny. If u watch fast and furious 6, most of the cars they used are automatic but the drivers controlled when they want the cars to shift.

I disagree with you.
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by Erums(m): 7:33am On Jun 10, 2017
Very educative thread.... Tnks OP for initiating this

1 Like

Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by DAVE5(m): 7:34am On Jun 10, 2017
Checked the date of the first post:::: nah 2015 and it's still useful to anybody who cares to learn... reminds me and all old NL members what Nairaland used to be like b4 our indomie generation took over our forum where you now see thrash like "wizkid hangs out with friends" "tonto dike without makeup" hitting front page...

Shout out to the old skool nairalanders

11 Likes

Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by DAVE5(m): 7:36am On Jun 10, 2017
stpat1:

I disagree with you.

Oga he made a point; whether correct or not; if u would disagree then u have to come up with a correct theory on how these things work

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by eeby1983(m): 7:43am On Jun 10, 2017
Hi guys,

I was involved in an argument with friends yesterday, over the use of the Driving gears of an automatic gearing car.

Different car products have different automatic gearing system. Mine is a Honda Accord 2006 (Discussion continues) model,and the gear system is pictured below.

It has a 'P-park', 'R-reverse', 'N-neutral' 'D-drive' 'D3', 'D2' and 'D1' gears.

The argument relates to the functions of the 'D', 'D3', 'D2', and 'D1' driving gears respectively, and under what circumstances should each one be used?.

So tech guys in the house, it's time to show off your knowledge.

Merci!!!

when you drive in 'D' it means you have given the car the will to control the gear (automatic). But in the case of other gear tools like 'D2' 'D3' these functions re designed for emergency scenario, a situation where your gear could not change it self due to electrical or mechanical malfunctioning, all you need to do is to drive the car manually and it has no side effect of on your car.
i have done this when my Cherokee jeep 2003 model gear could not possibly select it self automatically.

5 Likes

Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by rockyh(m): 7:43am On Jun 10, 2017
emekan:
Hello guys. Will make this short. Kinda busy at the moment. The D1, D2 and D3 inscriptions on your gear lever mean that you can engage any one of these three (4 forward gears inclusive of D). The function of this is to enable traction at low speeds. In sandy or very muddy areas, engaging any of the D1, D2 or D3 will restrict the gear from exceeding the respective gearing. Take for instance you select D1, no matter how hard you rev your car engine, your vehicle will never exceed gear 1. This ensures low end traction for sandy terrain or when low end power is needed for towing. If on the othe hand, you select D2, the gear will never exceed second gear no matter how hard you rev the engine. Same applies to D3. If however, D is selected, it allows the gear choose between the 5 available forward gears depending on how hard you rev and the road inclination and conditions. The ECU considers many factors simultaneously and decides the best gear in this case to choose in order to deliver best fuel economy under the prevailing circumstances. Hope this helps. Cheers.
well said u are simply right with ur explanation
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by gucci20(m): 7:44am On Jun 10, 2017
Never use any of dos gears, if is not necessary coz it mit spoil ur gear box...u can only use d3, d2 wen climbing heals. Dts its work, am talking out of experience oo!!

1 Like

Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by kuuljay(m): 7:49am On Jun 10, 2017
44chux:
A miracle happened.
While trying to kill a mosquito at 160km/h in a honda ridgeline, I accidentally hit the gear lever into P.
Immediately I saw myself in my house looking at my family and trying to say goodbye. When I regained conscieousness in the car, I was surprised the car was still speeding along smoothly but for the continous snapping sound. I instantly pushed the lever back to D and continued on the journey. All this happened in about 3 seconds. Later went to the workshop and checked the tranny and everything was ok
grin bross give us details so na so mosquito for just delete you,loool
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by ademasta(m): 7:50am On Jun 10, 2017
D
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by chineduemmao: 7:55am On Jun 10, 2017

You been wan know abi? undecided

So why you no ask since? grin
busybody! nairaland no be quora, you know how many times wey i don ask question and nobody cares to answer?

1 Like

Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by GOFRONT(m): 7:57am On Jun 10, 2017
Good to learn abt D1, D2, D3......but when I peg my gear on only 'D' in my Highlander, I can cruize d lenght n breadth of Fct

1 Like

Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by obasiete: 7:59am On Jun 10, 2017
nurey:

I beg to differ on this, engine braking is safer than using the normal brake I tried this on a 1992 honda accord popularly called HALA, at 100km/h, in 5th gear, I down shifted to gear 2 depressed the accelerator and the car slowed down without any jerk or loss of control, done at abk, NNPC road to iyana mortuary express.

Oga see the kind place u chosed for your experiment...................iyana mortuary express grin grin grin

or were u thinking of sui.........ci...........

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by godquality: 8:01am On Jun 10, 2017
emekan:
Hello guys. Will make this short. Kinda busy at the moment. The D1, D2 and D3 inscriptions on your gear lever mean that you can engage any one of these three (4 forward gears inclusive of D). The function of this is to enable traction at low speeds. In sandy or very muddy areas, engaging any of the D1, D2 or D3 will restrict the gear from exceeding the respective gearing. Take for instance you select D1, no matter how hard you rev your car engine, your vehicle will never exceed gear 1. This ensures low end traction for sandy terrain or when low end power is needed for towing. If on the othe hand, you select D2, the gear will never exceed second gear no matter how hard you rev the engine. Same applies to D3. If however, D is selected, it allows the gear choose between the 5 available forward gears depending on how hard you rev and the road inclination and conditions. The ECU considers many factors simultaneously and decides the best gear in this case to choose in order to deliver best fuel economy under the prevailing circumstances. Hope this helps. Cheers.

In addition to this beautiful clarification, these all act like manuals. Say for example you are riding up hill and the car is revving very high but on a lower fear (i.e. not changing gears on time) then you can use D2 or D3 depending on your current speed just to pick up speed that correspond with the revving up. Just like you would with a manual gear.
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by Nobody: 8:02am On Jun 10, 2017
looks like educational posts takes two years to reach front page on nairaland while tonto dikeh boobs takes less than 10 minutes.

what irony

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by tripoli007(m): 8:13am On Jun 10, 2017
Abeg just give me that 1000 naira .. Make I take chop for mama sikira shop still buy Chelsea drink.. Will come back and explain to you
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by DanseMacabre(m): 8:15am On Jun 10, 2017
I'm just reading this for when I buy my own car.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by chineduemmao: 8:16am On Jun 10, 2017
Jiang:
looks like educational posts takes two years to reach front page on nairaland while tonto dikeh boobs takes less than 10 minutes.

what irony
lol
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by evidencechigo(m): 8:19am On Jun 10, 2017
To answer your question in a simply english. D is the normal drive that has it own internal gear selections, D2 is a power gear, you apply it when you are in a road competition with army robbers. Apply D2 then push the throttle for 3second then change to D then you will see the gap distance between your car the your opponent car. D3 is for muddy or sandy environment. Remember if your car is Mercedes and you apply that of D2 the sound will scared away everyone around and as such consume your fuel. Thanks

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Lady Drove This Killer Machine Today And Got Everyone Talking (Pic) / Ferrari F50 Abandoned In Ibadan (Pictures) / Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.