Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,472 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:05 PM

Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? (25473 Views)

NIS Arrests 400 Illegal Immigrants In Edo State / Nigeria Deports 53 Illegal Immigrants / We Pay Between 300 - 500 Naira To Enter Nigeria – Illegal Immigrants (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by pansophist(m): 1:00pm On Mar 21, 2015
In the lexicon of human migration there are still hierarchical words, created with the purpose of putting white people above everyone else. One of those remnants is the word “expat”

What is an expat? And who is an expat? According to Wikipedia, “an expatriate (often shortened to expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country other than that of the person’s upbringing. The word comes from the Latin terms ex (‘out of’) and patria (‘country, fatherland’)”.

Defined that way, you should expect that any person going to work outside of his or her country for a period of time would be an expat, regardless of his skin colour or country. But that is not the case in reality; expat is a term reserved exclusively for western white people going to work abroad.

Africans are immigrants. Arabs are immigrants. Asians are immigrants. However, Europeans are expats because they can’t be at the same level as other ethnicities. They are superior. Immigrants is a term set aside for ‘inferior races’.

Don’t take my word for it. The Wall Street Journal, the leading financial information magazine in the world, has a blog dedicated to the life of expats and recently they featured a story ‘Who is an expat, anyway?’. Here are the main conclusions: “Some arrivals are described as expats; others as immigrants; and some simply as migrants. It depends on social class, country of origin and economic status. It’s strange to hear some people in Hong Kong described as expats, but not others. Anyone with roots in a western country is considered an expat … Filipino domestic helpers are just guests, even if they’ve been here for decades. Mandarin-speaking mainland Chinese are rarely regarded as expats … It’s a double standard woven into official policy.”

The reality is the same in Africa and Europe. Top African professionals going to work in Europe are not considered expats. They are immigrants. Period. “I work for multinational organisations both in the private and public sectors. And being black or coloured doesn’t gain me the term “expat”. I’m a highly qualified immigrant, as they call me, to be politically correct,” says an African migrant worker.

Most white people deny that they enjoy the privileges of a racist system. And why not? But our responsibility is to point out and to deny them these privileges, directly related to an outdated supremacist ideology. If you see those “expats” in Africa, call them immigrants like everyone else. If that hurts their white superiority, they can jump in the air and stay there. The political deconstruction of this outdated worldview must continue.

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2015/mar/13/white-people-expats-immigrants-migration?CMP=fb_gu

185 Likes 34 Shares

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by TLOTRS: 6:11pm On Mar 21, 2015
This is a very nice article. Its high time we Africans especially put the white supremacist in their right position. If I am an immigrant in their own country, they have to be immigrants in mine too, not expats.
What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Every citizen of the world must be treated with equality.

128 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by Laird(m): 8:21pm On Mar 21, 2015
PACKAGING

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by janykute: 8:42pm On Mar 21, 2015
Interesting topic .

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by pansophist(m): 9:02pm On Mar 21, 2015
TLOTRS:
This is a very nice article. Its high time we Africans especially put the white supremacist in their right position. If I am an immigrant in their own country, they have to be immigrants in mine too, not expats.
What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Every citizen of the world must be treated with equality.

Well said!

I think its a nationality thing. For example even some group of white people are seen as immigrants too in the western world (e.g non western Europeans like Polish, Bulgarian, Ukrainian, Romanian etc), its apparent in the UK and `ireland, to name a few. If youre are from a 1st world country, its very easy to escape the ''immigrant'' label.

There have never be a situation of mass immigration of westerners to Africa (or to a 3rd world country) and for the past 60 years, its has always been a diametrical opposite quotidian event. An American for example can easily be perceived as an Expat because to most, its very preposterous to immigrate to Africa.

In the western world, the label of the word ''immigrant'' usually mean migrating for a better life and most of the non western migrant fit into this category, thats just the underlying truth. The handful (if not majority) of the Western workers in Nigeria are Expats, not immgrants. They are not here to look for a job, descend so low to jobs most natives will not like to do, thats the difference, although I recognise that not all Africans fit into the category of an immigrant.

90 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by TLOTRS: 2:45pm On Mar 22, 2015
pansophist:

Well said!

I think its a nationality thing. For example even some group of white people are seen as immigrants too in the western world (e.g non western Europeans like Polish, Bulgaria, Ukraine etc), its apparent in the UK and `ireland, to name a few. If youre are from a 1st world country, its very easy to escape the ''immigrant'' label.

There have never be a situation of mass immigration of westerners to Africa (or to a 3rd world country) and for the past 60 years, its has always been a diametrical opposite quotidian event. An American for example can easily be perceived as an Expat because to most, its very preposterous to immigrate to Africa.

In the western world, the label of the word ''immigrant'' usually mean migrating for a better life and most of the non western migrant fit into this category, thats just the underlying truth. The handful (if not majority) of the Western workers in Nigeria are Expats, not immgrants. They are not here to look for a job, descend so low to jobs most natives will not like to do, thats the difference, although I recognise that not all Africans fit into the category of an immigrant.

I believe you're trying relate your post with the strength of an immigrant's home country economy.
You are right, an immigrant from USA or Germany is called expat while an immigrant from a developing country is called "immigrant".
This is really bad, I may be from a developing country and have a greater skill set than someone from a developed country.
It is still the same injustice I am talking about, I believe the world should be an equal place and offer equal opportunities for all.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by pansophist(m): 4:00pm On Mar 22, 2015
TLOTRS:

I believe you're trying relate your post with the strength of an immigrant's home country economy.
You are right, an immigrant from USA or Germany is called expat while an immigrant from a developing country is called "immigrant".
This is really bad, I may be from a developing country and have a greater skill set than someone from a developed country.
It is still the same injustice I am talking about, I believe the world should be an equal place and offer equal opportunities for all.

Yes, Especially the post colonialist nations are the superior one, they can never be an immigrant like the rest of us. Immigrant is a term exclusively reserved for the ''rest of us''. They claim to fight against racism on the surface but they wont deny the fact that they benefit from a racist system that place them at the extreme top of the social heirarchy.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by Originalsly: 5:49pm On Mar 22, 2015
Hmmm.... do they call themselves expats?.... or we call them expats? If expats is in reality a superiority term then we are the ones acknowledging their superiority by calling them expats. I would agree that expats is used for Whites who moved to non White countries only. Is a White from the US going to work/ live in the UK or vice versa referred to as an expat?

20 Likes

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by pansophist(m): 8:18am On Mar 23, 2015
Originalsly:
Hmmm.... do they call themselves expats?.... or we call them expats? If expats is in reality a superiority term then we are the ones acknowledging their superiority by calling them expats. I would agree that expats is used for Whites who moved to non White countries only. Is a White from the US going to work/ live in the UK or vice versa referred to as an expat?

Well said.

1 Like

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by DeKen: 9:55am On Sep 22, 2015
I think this deserves front page.
lalasticlala, Ishilove
Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by tomdon(m): 10:21am On Sep 22, 2015
good one
Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by Nobody: 10:27am On Sep 22, 2015
Chaii, mental slavery of the citizens of less privileged countries.

Imagine!!!!

Just like naming dogs, whatever you call your dog it will answer. Dog ain't got no right to name its master.

Time for mental awakenings.

9 Likes

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by bqlekan(m): 12:53pm On Sep 22, 2015
Racism

Killer speech by Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe:

“Racism will never end as long as white cars are stil using black tyres.

Racism will never end if people still use black to symbolise bad luck and white for peace.

Racism will never end if people still wear white clothes to weddings and black clothes to funerals.

Racism will never end as long as those who don’t pay their bills are blacklisted not white listed.

Even when playing snooker. You haven’t won until you’ve sunk the black ball, and the white ball must remain on the table.

But I don’t care, as long as I’m sitting my black ass on a white closet and still using white toilet paper to wipe my black ass I’m happy.... grin grin grin

126 Likes 27 Shares

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by Sicozone(m): 12:53pm On Sep 22, 2015
well.... so nairalanders, today is my birthday and I've come to have my likes just as is the tradition......Happy birthday to me

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by Sicozone(m): 12:53pm On Sep 22, 2015
well.... so nairalanders, today is my birthday and I've come to have my likes just as is the tradition......Happy birthday to me

10 Likes

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by GlorifiedTunde(m): 12:54pm On Sep 22, 2015
grin

The word "Expat" is just used for sourced from another country.

But in Nigeria we worship any white skin we see - Terrible mentality sad

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by sukkot: 12:54pm On Sep 22, 2015
hmm wahala. expats have money and are seeking a place to rest. immigrants are broke and are seeking a place to get money from. for example if dangote relocates to italy he will be an expat. grin grin grin

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Sep 22, 2015
Some brainwashing thing the whites want us to believe..
Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by saintkel(m): 12:55pm On Sep 22, 2015
D day MJ changed his skin from black to white I knew sumtin was fishy

2 Likes

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by lonelydora: 12:55pm On Sep 22, 2015
Ok
Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by debasco1(m): 12:55pm On Sep 22, 2015
pansophist:
In the lexicon of human migration there are still hierarchical words, created with the purpose of putting white people above everyone else. One of those remnants is the word “expat”

What is an expat? And who is an expat? According to Wikipedia, “an expatriate (often shortened to expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country other than that of the person’s upbringing. The word comes from the Latin terms ex (‘out of’) and patria (‘country, fatherland’)”.

Defined that way, you should expect that any person going to work outside of his or her country for a period of time would be an expat, regardless of his skin colour or country. But that is not the case in reality; expat is a term reserved exclusively for western white people going to work abroad.

Africans are immigrants. Arabs are immigrants. Asians are immigrants. However, Europeans are expats because they can’t be at the same level as other ethnicities. They are superior. Immigrants is a term set aside for ‘inferior races’.

Don’t take my word for it. The Wall Street Journal, the leading financial information magazine in the world, has a blog dedicated to the life of expats and recently they featured a story ‘Who is an expat, anyway?’. Here are the main conclusions: “Some arrivals are described as expats; others as immigrants; and some simply as migrants. It depends on social class, country of origin and economic status. It’s strange to hear some people in Hong Kong described as expats, but not others. Anyone with roots in a western country is considered an expat … Filipino domestic helpers are just guests, even if they’ve been here for decades. Mandarin-speaking mainland Chinese are rarely regarded as expats … It’s a double standard woven into official policy.”

The reality is the same in Africa and Europe. Top African professionals going to work in Europe are not considered expats. They are immigrants. Period. “I work for multinational organisations both in the private and public sectors. And being black or coloured doesn’t gain me the term “expat”. I’m a highly qualified immigrant, as they call me, to be politically correct,” says an African migrant worker.

Most white people deny that they enjoy the privileges of a racist system. And why not? But our responsibility is to point out and to deny them these privileges, directly related to an outdated supremacist ideology. If you see those “expats” in Africa, call them immigrants like everyone else. If that hurts their white superiority, they can jump in the air and stay there. The political deconstruction of this outdated worldview must continue.

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2015/mar/13/white-people-expats-immigrants-migration?CMP=fb_gu
I am Happy To be Mee, i don't pray to be
someone else but it doesn't mean i don't have
Role Models. I don't live a fake life its either you
love me for who i am or you check the next door.
In this race overtaking is allowed. I love for real
and i don't joke with my friends and family, i love
them and also not forgetting my enemies cos
there are my biggest fans, without them i wont
know where my faults are cumming from and
change. debasco1

1 Like

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by eph12(m): 12:55pm On Sep 22, 2015
Still noise making. Until we can fend for ourselves we have to keep up with every insults.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by richidinho(m): 12:55pm On Sep 22, 2015
f grin

even in Africa, ur own continent .... you are regarded as "an immigrant"

ask your leaders

1 Like

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by Nobody: 12:56pm On Sep 22, 2015
eph12:
Still noise making. Until we can fend for ourselves we have to keep up with every insults.
I swear, they dont see any good in us, we dont care. F u c k 'em.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by Nobody: 12:56pm On Sep 22, 2015

When the white came, they taught us how to pray, closing our eyes. But by the time we opened them they already took all that was ours. in short they took the best brains then, and left people who sold the good ones to them, and leaving the only corrupt minded old heads, who could only sell their brother for spoons any glass with hard alcohol. sorry to the u this, they are our ancestors and they passed that corrupt mind to us today.,

5 Likes

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by oluwaKStar(m): 12:57pm On Sep 22, 2015
because white people are arent runnin g away from their problems,and begging other people to fix their problems

10 Likes

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by Oluwapresley(m): 12:57pm On Sep 22, 2015
A lot of truth in there..
Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by damton(m): 12:57pm On Sep 22, 2015
whether expat or amateur na same. visitor na visitor

1 Like

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by babasir: 12:58pm On Sep 22, 2015
SIMILAR QUESTIONS ACROSS ALL UNIVERSITIES IN NIGERIA, A CLARION CALL ON NANS SENATORS.

CONGRATULATIONS
It is imminent and of paramount importance to congratulate Olateju Aliyu Oladimeji on his emergence as the grand commander in charge of all aluta rockets, detonators..... in fact, commander in charge of visible and invisible forces of the University of Ibadan which makes him to be automatically a NANS senator. To emerge as the president of any student's union in this great country is not a joke and that is why the sit is always as hot as anything.....
As we are celebrating your emergence, it will be a democratical error and even a political assassination if we fail to remind you that trials and persecutions can not but come.... in fact challenges, propaganda, what you have done and what you have not done will be what some persons will capitalise on in order to score political points but during this period, always remember the words of late Jeremiah Oyeniyi Obafemi Awolowo which says that at the end of every tunnel,there must always be light. Also, they can only dent or stain the name of a messenger but they can not kill the message. As a union, we have gone through your inaugural speech and we shall be very glad to work hand in hand with you provided that you are working in line with your speech. Any union that is not based on political or selfish impositions will be greeted and welcome with an open arm. Sir, our unions do not belong to either left or right but belong to the students. our unions are pressure groups that ought to be putting University's,college's,polytechnic's management and even federal government as a whole on their toes to improve the welfare condition of Nigerian students. Welcome on board sir as we shall be synergy zing with your administration to fight against our common enemies. ones again, congratulations.

DILAPIDATED TOILETS ACROSS UNIVERSITIES IN NIGERIA
To all science students, I think increase in school fees across all Nigerian Universities ought to be an integral of increase in facilities as well. In fact, in economics,the law of demand and supply is being tampered with because the more we pay the more dilapidated our toilets become. Therefore, increment in school fees is not a panacea to problems of infrastructure in our institutions. Epidemics and even endemics through toilet diseases are what are becoming the order of the day in our various Universities.What is now the difference between Bokoharam and the management of our tertiary institutions. please ask the Government and even the managements of tertiary institutions that how many of their kids can they allow to use these dangerous toilets that are in our halls of residence. It means that they want their only kids to become the leaders of tomorrow so that it will be like father like sons and daughters. please the certificates that we want to acquire, who will use it at the end of the day after we have been killed with TITD(Tertiary Institution Toilet disease) Senators of NANS, enough of putting all the blames on NANS(general body) and even zonal coordinators. That you voted for NANS leaders does not bring an end to your actions as senators...Let us begin to synergize with in the unions at institutional level so that we can force any JCC chairman, Coordinator or even union president that fails to be progressive into actions. Remember that if we fail to fight, we have lost already.

HEALTH CENTRES LIKE DEATH CENTRES

Health centres in universities are nothing to write about. poor relation of the personnel is even worse talk less of outdated drugs that will be given out to our students. Delay of students that are seriously sick or even forgetting them on sit. shortage of personnel at various health centres across the tertiary institutions. Yet, our NANS senators are sleeping but any avenue for scope will be highly welcome by them. Any student's blood that dies as a result of this death centre crisis is not only on the palms of the management but also on the palms of NAN'S senators that fail to unite to fight against this crisis in Nigeria. Money through scopes will finish and fade away but the legacies that you are leaving behind as senators will always be remembered. E.g Akogun Segun Okeowo might have gone but the legacies that he laid can never be forgotten.

DILAPIDATED LABORATORIES, HOSTELS OVER CROWDED LECTURE THEATERS.
When 20 students are surrounding an 18th century microscope, pipette,burette and so on in our universities..please how do you want us to get accurate results? Students are sitting on the floor to receive lectures in our higher institutions and we are having like an average 10 students in a room. NANS senators arise before we start declaring you personal non granter in various institutions. In order not to bore you with rhetorics or unnecessary display of iconoclastic tendencies, Our advise to NANS senators include:
1. Organizing a joint meeting among the progressive NANS senators to discuss these issues and a proper way forward should melted out.
2. A massive joint protest should be done against all these oppressions and victimizations
3. A rotational joint protest should be done in various institutions to tell the managements that we are saying NO TO ALL FORMS OF OPPRESSIONS.
4. press conferences and usage of media houses to pass our message across to federal government should done.
5. Joint protest towards the review of the increments that have been done in all tertiary institutions in Nigeria.
Conclusively, Great Ife student's union is ready and will always be ready to work with any senator that want to say no to oppressions. ALUTA CONTINUA,VICTORIA ASCERTA.
(HON. SEUN..OAU003)

RE bc#

3 Likes

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by ademega(m): 12:58pm On Sep 22, 2015
what matter most is what u call yourself

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fire Engulfs Overland Airways Aircraft At Lagos Airport / South-African Policeman Tears Nigerian's Passport To Pieces (Pic) / 3 Most Dangerous Locations In Warri (Warri South LGA)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.