Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:40 PM

Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview (39211 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie's Make-Up Advert On London Billboard (Photo) / Chimamanda Adichie Makes Vanity Fair List Of International Best Dressed / Chimamanda Adichie And Her Husband Welcomed A Daughter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 10:41pm On Mar 21, 2015
FrancisTony:

What's this one saying? undecided

abeg help me ask him. ppl r just dull

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 10:42pm On Mar 21, 2015
She was making sense till she mentioned "This is somebody who once knelt down in front of me as a greeting, in public, to show how grateful he was for my support". Was that necessary.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by CSTR: 10:42pm On Mar 21, 2015
DonDiego:

How many of Okri's books have you actually read? Because Okri won the Booker with that unreadable The Famished Road you now want to drop his name as the next Gabriel Garcia Marquez, huh? Yea, I know. Hate can make people react as you just did.
The famished road is unreadable?
yeah i actually agree.
It appeals to a very tiny, elite spectrum of the reading community.
I am sure the watered down crap that chimamanda dishes out appeals to far more people.
And no, i'm not hating.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by freecocoa(f): 10:44pm On Mar 21, 2015
cococandy:
They better kiss and make up.

Chimamanda hasn't fully realized how much ego even the most enlightened of Nigerian males is.

I blame her.

Next time she should thread carefully and avoid assuming that others are operating on the same frequency as her.
What constitutes a joke to her may mean more to him.
Even as her protege, he doesn't see himself as a learner under her.

Because I'm quite sure if she was a man, he would have problems with the term 'boy' even if it wasn't meant as a joke.

Next time be careful madam.
Chimamanda is the bomb any day but I don't think it's appropriate to refer to the guy in that manner, especially given in the Nigerian context she talked about, they don't have that kind of relationship as one can only refer to a bosom friend or subordinate as such.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by freecocoa(f): 10:47pm On Mar 21, 2015
phoinix:
She was making sense till she mentioned "This is somebody who once knelt down in front of me as a greeting, in public, to show how grateful he was for my support". Was that necessary.
Exactly, this statement only further goes to show, where she has placed him.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by AlphaDibia(m): 10:48pm On Mar 21, 2015
The same reason Chimamanda didn't like some americans calling or referring to her as "sistah" (genuine gestures by the americans btw) should be the same reason why she should not refer to a grown ass man as "boy". She should've nipped this in the bud by just simply apologizing(don't have to be a genuine one). We didn't need all that long explanation. She lost here By Virtue of the non-famous and of vice of the famous.

Nne rapu okwu maka na okwu a buro nri as my man Phyno eloquently puts it.. peace. Udo.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by OKNkanu(m): 10:49pm On Mar 21, 2015
Alexpissu:

You feeling like a feminist

what has that got to do with the post
I wonder!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by cococandy(f): 10:50pm On Mar 21, 2015
freecocoa:
Chimamanda is the bomb any day but I don't think it's appropriate to refer to the guy in that manner, especially given in the Nigerian context she talked about, they don't have that kind of relationship as one can only refer to a bosom friend or subordinate as such.

That's why I said she better thread carefully
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by MIKOLOWISKA: 10:50pm On Mar 21, 2015
Alexpissu:

You feeling like a feminist

what has that got to do with the post
she gats console herself foe the unhappiness thats about to follow
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by freecocoa(f): 10:55pm On Mar 21, 2015
cococandy:

That's why I said she better thread carefully
I think she actually knows what she meant by it.cheesy

I still love her plenty though.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 10:57pm On Mar 21, 2015
Vickybee:

If e pain you, drink an acid.
what happened to the word 'some'? undecided undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by cococandy(f): 10:57pm On Mar 21, 2015
freecocoa:
I think she actually knows what she meant by it.cheesy

I still love her plenty though.

I like both of them. In different ways though.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by freecitizn: 10:58pm On Mar 21, 2015
If the tables were turned and a relatively more accomplished male writer called her a 'girl', I can only imagine the vituperation with which she would respond...
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Onegai(f): 10:59pm On Mar 21, 2015
cococandy:

I don't think el is a misogynist sha.
At least not a die hard one if I may say

I don't know if he is, but she's right about one thing: his writing feels very hollow, like someone trying constantly to stir up emotions, not like someone inviting you to deep introspection. I can rarely remember what he wrote and I read last year. I remember being all hyped up about him and now I read his tweets and usually roll my eyes and move on.

Like if he was on NL, he would constantly be writing to gain likes and start a thread war, not say anything meaningful.

I'm no fan of Ms. Adichie but she's right about it.

Also why be so offended by "boy"? If the biggest publisher in the world (who happens to be male) said to a crowd of hopeful writers "I'm proud of my boys" referring to them, won't they have swallowed it and laughed and brushed it off in the quest for greatness? Would we have heard complaints if it was a Nigerian politician sharing money with "you boys take that"? They would shrug and swallow it with a tight smile. And she introduced him to her publisher, sounds like she was invested in his future
So maybe their work relationship was close, to her.

When people make a fuss over stuff they take everyday in real life undecided

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by DonDiego(m): 11:04pm On Mar 21, 2015
CSTR:
The famished road is unreadable?
yeah i actually agree.
It appeals to a very tiny, elite spectrum of the reading community.
I am sure the watered down crap that chimamanda dishes out appeals to far more people.
And no, i'm not hating.

"To each their own" best captures the wide range of tastes that apply when it comes to literary meals. As fas as I am personally concerned, apart from Okri's debut novel, whatever else he wrote as fiction is unreadable. It got progressively worse after The Famished Road. And it had nothing to do with the fact he delved into magical realism. Marquez is the modern master of magical realism and he is eminently readable. As for Adichie, well it's your call. But one thing is certain: all those awards for each of her novels and even the movie optionings are not merely accidental. They are an endorsement of supreme quality if not outright genius. Folks like you who react viscerally to anything about her are the first to deny that you do so out of some other preconceived notions and mental baggage that have nothing whatsoever to do with the quality of her work. But fortunately she doesnt seem to mind nor is she fazed. She remains as iconoclastic as ever.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by TheSonOfMark(m): 11:09pm On Mar 21, 2015
phoinix:

Infamous ubiquity? What was that supposed to mean?

Mister, need I start a logomachy? The meaning of those words is quite obvious to those with discerning minds. I suggest you update your seemingly depleted vocabulary stock.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Ray360: 11:11pm On Mar 21, 2015
slap1:
So where did she "blast" Elnathan in this interview? The fact that Elnathan and Chimamanda are in the same sentence is enough exposure for the former which, I'm moved to believe, is an objective of this post.
intelligent! more grey matter to your brain. this is the most intelligent post on this thread. i take bows in obeisance. slap1.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by cococandy(f): 11:12pm On Mar 21, 2015
Onegai:

I don't know if he is, but she's right about one thing: his writing feels very hollow, like someone trying constantly to stir up emotions, not like someone inviting you to deep introspection. I can rarely remember what he wrote and I read last year. I remember being all hyped up about him and now I read his tweets and usually roll my eyes and move on.

Like if he was on NL, he would constantly be writing to gain likes, not say anything meaningful.

I'm no fan of Ms. Adichie but she's right about it.

Also why be so offended by "boy"? If the biggest publisher in the world (who happens to be male) said to a crowd of hopeful writers "I'm proud of my boys" referring to them, won't they have swallowed it and laughed and brushed it off in the quest for greatness ?

Exactly what I said too.
He has a problem with the term because she's female even though he's clearly under her,was her protege for a while and was also seeking to use her connections to rise.

Just that in such matters, wisdom is profitable to direct. She's not familiar with the nigerian terrain of expression so even if she meant no harm, it is lost on the populace because of pre-conditioning.
In her oyibo mind, he should be fine with it because his status as her underling in not secret but she over estimates enlightenment about such matters

Like a negro can call another nigga but a white folk would be committing career suicide if he does.

You're kinda right about his writing but then his satirical and witty approach is a unique talent in itself.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by freecocoa(f): 11:13pm On Mar 21, 2015
cococandy:

I like both of them. In different ways though.
Yea, they are both good, in different ways ofcourse.smiley
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by TheSonOfMark(m): 11:16pm On Mar 21, 2015
BraniacX:

Dude! undecided
That punch was low shocked
Below the belt kinda thingy
You a mean attack dawg grin
I like that

Sometimes those simpletons have to be reminded of the banality of their existence lest they get cocooned in the false grandiose of stardom brought on by the ceaseless adulation by silly males on social media. Most of these girls aren't even worth a second look! [/b]

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 11:17pm On Mar 21, 2015
Misogynist2014:
I'm a satirist, not a slave of passion and emotions. kiss
Dry.

Next
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by ajf(m): 11:21pm On Mar 21, 2015
Just visited the guy's blog, and Mr John is not even a very good writer to be honest...
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 11:21pm On Mar 21, 2015
sobmos:
you be lesbo? undecided you be lesbo?
Yes! undecided
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 11:24pm On Mar 21, 2015
femi4:
Men don show this one pepper
You wish. tongue I've got wonderful men around me.

Just giving Nairaland men raw misandry. grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 11:26pm On Mar 21, 2015
Misogynist2014:
She's ludicrous grin
You are such a numbskull. grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Tygg: 11:28pm On Mar 21, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

Ofcourse you wouldn't. Judging from comments like yours, identifying the infamous ubiquity of featherbrained gyno-humanoids such as yourself is a stroll in a park.
dnt c any reason to be abusive in your choice of words.....smh

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by PromiseJonah(m): 11:28pm On Mar 21, 2015
pastinq rubish all over the thread
Vickybee:

If e pain you, drink an acid.
can u pls shutup!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by eggie100(m): 11:29pm On Mar 21, 2015
Vickybee:

Other way round.

You guys aren't in a class with my handbag not to talk about breaking my heart. undecided
see who is talking. First of all, straighten out ur future, get a good life and may be then you will be able to afford an original givenchy bag. Your Aba handbag is not in place to compare to guys who wont even acknowledge your ugly presence in a small crowd.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by franzis(m): 11:30pm On Mar 21, 2015
Airforce1:
Nne continue the good work you're doing

I love you

But president jonathan loves you more

God bless my president

Fresh air till 2019
another weed smoking saTanoid
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 11:37pm On Mar 21, 2015
lawanson44:
When I see some so-called feminists ranting here on nairaland, I just get amused. See as that one wey call herself Vickybee dey like person wey no see garri to drink with her N250 sandals undecided
If you even check well, na man give am money to buy that cheap cloth and hand bag she dey pose with.
feminism my anus!
Chai! I must be dating your brother for you to know all these secrets.
Oniranu!

My father is the only man that provides for me. Ode tongue
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Bamz(m): 11:39pm On Mar 21, 2015
EroticAngelina:
U expect me to read all these? Mbanu.

Why bother comment?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Tallesty1(m): 11:41pm On Mar 21, 2015
freecocoa:
Read this her statement and you will understand why she called him her boy.

"This is somebody who once knelt down in front of me as a greeting, in public, to show how grateful he was for my support".

That little respect given to her really got her head swollen and her feminist nature kicked in too.

One of my student would be more tolerable.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

"365": A Novelette / Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him / A Girl Called Fib & The Axe Of Fury

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.