Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,480 members, 7,781,404 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:57 PM

Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) (71169 Views)

Photos From Virgin Ceremony In Ogu, Rivers State / The Ijaws That I Know / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:54am On Mar 25, 2015
Eluanaten:
OP hw com u forgot Graham Douglas, d 1st SAN wit FRA williams... U nid to watch d masquerades of Kalabari, Okrika and Nembe dance, u will b wowed!
Fatai Rotimi A. Williams was a Yoruba man.
Kalabri masquerades have a unique way of dancing by beating two swords each on their legs. They were my delight when RIVERFEST was still taking place.

1 Like

Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by ibiso1986: 1:54am On Mar 25, 2015
aim5:

Yes O. Your women are wonderfully made! Here in Minnesota, there are some Kalabari women and my oh my their gorgeous. I might seriously try to get with one.
feel free brother.. Their back side is always a sight to behold.. Hope it doesn't get u confused
Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by ibiso1986: 1:58am On Mar 25, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

Check your record again. It's actually on Asaba - Agbor Road on his way to Warri in his car. According to one of his band men, David Bull, I guess, in an interview with Benson Idonije, Lawson travelled in his car after the promise of Governor Alfred Diette-Spiff of Rivers State to make a bus available for his band didn't materialize. He traveled in his car after much plea not to, leaving his boys behind with the hope of they joining him when the bus of the Governor was brough. He died on January 15 1971. I still have this emotion each time I listen to the audio of the speech that the Head of State, Yakubu Gowon made at the funeral. The governorship candidate of the APC in Rivers State, Dakuku Peterside was in Buguma recently for the unveiling of his mausoleum.
thanks for the writeup..
Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by Nobody: 2:15am On Mar 25, 2015
ibiso1986:
feel free brother.. Their back side is always a sight to behold.. Hope it doesn't get u confused

Ha It won't confuse me, they are well behaved to go with their endowments.

1 Like

Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by gogodaye(m): 2:27am On Mar 25, 2015
Keneking:

Cult members shocked
Kalabari Chiefs off to pay their respects to one of their own.... that had passed on......in the course of his funeral rites.

1 Like

Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by Suzyky4u(f): 7:57am On Mar 25, 2015
I love their regalia and food! Some similarities in my culture! Oguta kwenu!

2 Likes

Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by chiogoezubem(f): 8:39am On Mar 25, 2015
ibiso1986:
maybe they no sabi cook am

Maybe. undecided
Oh, I looove that soup! It was almost the only soup I ate when I was doing my NYSC @Bonny. Very rich and delicious. grin

I had to learn to prepare it by fire by force.

1 Like

Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by alexov(m): 10:57am On Mar 25, 2015
I love these people and their onunu

2 Likes

Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by Nobody: 11:13am On Mar 25, 2015
ibiso1986:
how are u doing sister
Ibim o!
Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by ibiso1986: 1:17pm On Mar 25, 2015
hwudey:

Ibim o!
are u on instagram or bbm.. Can we chat..
Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by ibiso1986: 1:30pm On Mar 25, 2015
gogodaye:

Kalabari Chiefs off to pay their respects to one of their own.... that had passed on......in the course of his funeral rites.
really, where are u from
Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by engrsyer(m): 4:50pm On Mar 25, 2015
ibiso1986:
The kalabari is a tribe of the Ijaw people of Rivers state living in the Niger Delta region of Nigeria. They migrated from the Benin fringes of Ijaw land and became a large kingdom of about 35 communities/settlements including Buguma, Bakana, Tombia, ke, Soku, Bille, Bukuma, Degema, Obonoma, Sama, Abalama, Ilelema and others. The people were originally fishermen before the coming of the Portugese to the west African coastline. The Kalabari like most coastline tribes were wealthy as a result of interactions with Europeans.

The kalabaris share similar culture/language to the Okrikas, Bonny, Opobo, Bayelsa Ijaws (Nembe in particular as the language is almost the same), Delta Ijaws, Ondo Ijaws and some parts of Edo state. It was discovered that in the 1980s, that a nearly extinct Berbice Dutch/KALABARI LANGUAGE was spoken in Central America. Guyana to be precise (click on the link to watch).

The kalabaris do bear European names (Briggs, Horsfall, Jack, Harry, West, Braide etc) due to their inter- racial relations with their slave masters. Kalabari, Opobo and Bonny were the first to trade with the whites in Rivers state alongside Okrika and Andoni. Many of them do have light skin due to European mixtures.. They engaged in overland trade with the Portugese in the 1400s, later Dutch, then British whom arrived by sea for trade and missionary work. They also traded clothes from India. Since the early 1800s, The Europeans noted that the Kalabaris refused to trade their goods on credit. Their industrial prowess coupled with their lovable demenor has won the admirations from surrounding communities of the Niger delta.

The Kalabari constitute one of the largest ethnic groups in Rivers State with 3 LGAs and they are the largest Ijaws in terms of population in the state.. They constitute almost a million (90% of people based in Akulga, Asalga and Degema are indigenes, so the 2006 population census results states..(AKULGA:156,006 , ASALGA:220,110 , DEGEMA:249,773)..626000 altogether excluding the population of kalabaris based in Phalga LGA, Obioakpor LGA, LGAs in the state, indigenes outside Rivers State and diaspora.. Majority of Kalabari people stay at the PHALGA (Portharcourt old township, Borokiri, marine base, Dline, Diobu, Iwofe, Aggrey, Eagle island etc.) axis of Port Harcourt.

The kalabaris are highly educated and have the love for western education. They are known to have a high concentration of Professors, Lawyers and Doctors in Nigeria.. Because of their civilized and generally peaceful behaviour, the kalabaris were called English men in the past..

NOTABLE PEOPLE
Agbani Darego… First black African to win miss world

Jimi Rex Lawson… High life musician.

Dabota Lawson... Ex beauty queen(Miss Nigeria UK)

Asari Dokubo.. Human right activist

Tonye Graham Douglas… Politician

Albert Horsfall… Former SSS Boss

Dumo Lulu Briggs.. politician

Chief Dr Hutton.. Antropologist

Taribo West… Ex footballer

Prof. Tam David West… politician and many others..

KALABARI TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE:
This occurs in 3 forms namely; IYA, IGWA and WARRIBIOBESIME. The IYA is the most lawful and highest form of kalabari marriages. In this marriage, divorce is not permitted and the offspring belongs to the man’s house. An IYA marriage is not complete until the BIBIFE ceremony(buying the mouth) is undertaken. The BIBIFE signifies 3 things. First, a stage in a lawful marriage which gives the bride the right to eat in the husband’s house. Second, it signifies the man’s responsibility towards the wife and his willingness to feed her for the rest of her life.

Finally, it signifies and crowns the new communion between the 2 families. It involves serving the bride with innumerable courses of food., usually in the evenings. Thus, the bride is dressed with coral accessories, crown and chunky coral beads.

THE OWU ARU SUN FESTIVALS OF THE KALABARI KINGDOM:
This is a festival of unity in Buguma and it draws visitors from far and near to the Kalabari kingdom in Rivers State. It is performed by the Ekine Sekiapu society and it’s the famous and most outstanding masquerade in the history of the kingdom. Previous editions were held in 1908, 1927, 1973 and 1991 and 2009.

KALABARI DELICACIES:

TOMINA FULO: This is a kalabari soup prepared using fresh fish and sea food. Cocoyam is usually used to thicken the soup.

ONUNU: This is another delicacy prepared by pounding boiled plantain with yam. It is then finished off with palm oil.
Op, If u dont want Awoba to strike you dead with lightening u beta edit your post and remove Bille as part of Kalabari. You fool. And by the way who told you Kalabari came from Benin (Kingdom)? Have u be able to ask where the name 'Kalabari' came from & what it means? I am a proud Bille Man and don't insult my tribe before I take it personal with u in all ways.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by engrsyer(m): 4:59pm On Mar 25, 2015
If Bille Kingdom of Rivers State is part of Kalabari Kingdom then why did Bille has a clan in the Ijaw(Izon or Ijo) nation. Hey small boy Ibiso go and do your backgrounds checks very well before coming to the internet and rant careless that may wage another war between Bille and Kalabari. I am sure ke community have learnt their lessons and would never dare Bille again. The next would be buguma. Go and ask Asari Dokubo what he saw and experienced during the 2000/2001 war between Bille Kingdom and Kalabari Kingdom.

Oyibo tubo ibu ebi, inate mo?
Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by Nobody: 8:48pm On Mar 25, 2015
ibiso1986:
are u on instagram or bbm.. Can we chat..
Not on instagram. On BBM 2BAC366F.
Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by Nobody: 8:57pm On Mar 25, 2015
hwudey:

Not on instagram. On BBM 2BAC366F.

Hey, Im seriously considering hooking up with a Kalabari babe. Besides their ample backsides, I want to know their personality traits, what they like in a man, their se.xual libido,etc.
Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by 2kurupt(m): 6:33am On Mar 26, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

Fatai Rotimi A. Williams was a Yoruba man.
Kalabri masquerades have a unique way of dancing by beating two swords each on their legs. They were my delight when RIVERFEST was still taking place.

He never said Rotimi Williams was a Kalabari man, he was referring to the man that was firstly given the Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) title alongside Chief F.R.A Williams in the country, Dr Nabo Graham-Douglas, the first Attorney General of Nigeria. Most peeps don't know this.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senior_Advocate_of_Nigeria
Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by Nobody: 9:07pm On Apr 04, 2015
Wow i av been following this thread. and i must say all through my years in southsouth region precisely delta and brass in bayelsa i discovered dey av a rich cultural heritage. "who no go no fit know"
in addition d culture of the kalabari has close resemblance wth dat of brass and nembe mayb because of dia location in d creeks and riverine areas.
infact i prefer to base in southsouth region than any other geopolitical zones in nigeria.
Op. nice informative thread.
Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by Mstariah: 1:54pm On Mar 27, 2017
johnbosco97:
Stop lying Kalabari people are not Ijaw. My doctor friend who is a Kalabari always frown being called Ijaw. Please tell us another story. He said that Ijaws are descendants of Portuguese servants that settled in coastlines, hence their language similarities with Portuguese creoles. Please stop fabricating stories that will mislead uninformed people. Anyway am yet to see a Kalabari that call himself I jaw.

I am kalabari and I'm ijaw. You are welcome smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lilo Ewe Ati Egbo Fun Iwosan, Itusile Ati Aseyori / Check Out How Ondo People Are Appeasing The Gods For The Epidemic Disease / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.