Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,260 members, 7,780,571 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:39 PM

Did 20 Year-old Onyeka Nwelue Copy Helen Oyeyemi In The Abyssinian Boy? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Did 20 Year-old Onyeka Nwelue Copy Helen Oyeyemi In The Abyssinian Boy? (3985 Views)

Onyeka Nwelue Tears The Border / The Opposite House: Helen Oyeyemi's Latest Novel / Helen Oyeyemi: A new Nigerian writer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did 20 Year-old Onyeka Nwelue Copy Helen Oyeyemi In The Abyssinian Boy? by winniex: 12:24pm On Jan 19, 2009
I just finished reading a copy of 20 year-old University of Nigeria sophomore, Onyeka Nwelue's debut novel, The Abyssinian Boy, published this January by DADA Books, Lagos. The packaging is fantastic and the book well edited. I must say I'm intrigued; that a young Nigerian had to travel to India at the age of 18 after graduating from high school just to write a novel.

This novel is set mainly in India and Nigeria and chronicles the tale of an Indian man and his Nigerian wife, and how their only son, 9 year-old David travels in dreams with a ghost albino dwarf.

My problem with the idea behind the whole thing is that it is very similar to Helen Oyeyemi's The Icarus Girl, though very political and extensive with history. Onyeka has beaten Ms Oyeyemi when it comes to using humour and history to get the messages across.

Again, the story lines are the same: in The Icarus Girl, Jesse's parents travel from London to Nigeria. In The Abyssinian Boy, David's parents travel from New Delhi to Nigeria.

I would like us to get into the terrain of this book and try to find out if there are stark similarities, because plagiarism has to be fought.

Example of what I think is similar is where a woman tells Jesse in dream that they are one and Nfanfa, the ghost in Onyeka's book tells David that, 'You are me and I'm you!'

Onyeka might think he has outsmarted out by creating believable Indian characters and showing a culture we rarely know by writing about India like no one has ever done.

It's a splendid achievement, this novel!
Re: Did 20 Year-old Onyeka Nwelue Copy Helen Oyeyemi In The Abyssinian Boy? by Nobody: 7:49am On Jan 20, 2009
is this book available in nigerian bookshops please
Re: Did 20 Year-old Onyeka Nwelue Copy Helen Oyeyemi In The Abyssinian Boy? by winniex: 10:10am On Jan 20, 2009
Yes. You can get a copy at Terra Kulture, Tiamiyu Salvage, Victoria Island, Lagos or order online at www.booksng.com.
Re: Did 20 Year-old Onyeka Nwelue Copy Helen Oyeyemi In The Abyssinian Boy? by Polando: 11:47pm On Feb 16, 2010
I have read the Abyssinian Boy but not the Icarus Girl. I would like to know if they are actually as similar.

(1) (Reply)

Lighthouse In Amazon (Complete Novel) / Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Writer Ever / My Little Adventure (revised 2015)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.