Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:37 AM

The Woork Handbook: Css, Html, Ajax, Web Programming, Mootools, Scriptaculous - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / The Woork Handbook: Css, Html, Ajax, Web Programming, Mootools, Scriptaculous (1731 Views)

Form Validation Tutorial Using Javascript, Php And Ajax! / Create Ajax Chat & Learn Web Page Data Xchange via Json Vs Xml / Dynamic Web Design Tutorials Ft Javascript,Ajax,DOM,PHP,MySQL... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Woork Handbook: Css, Html, Ajax, Web Programming, Mootools, Scriptaculous by castrolng: 5:07pm On Jan 19, 2009
I'd like to give something back to the Webmasters of NL: the PROs, rookies (,and the copy-pasters) but what could I give, what do I have,  it wont surprise you if I said nothing, will it? Anyway a special gift, not from me, is the woork handbook.

woork? yes I'm sure the webmasters who have done time (forgive the expression) must have come across the woork blog owned by Antonio Lupetti. The blog an endless source of resources for webmasters

The Woork Handbook is a free eBook about CSS, HTML, Ajax, web programming, Mootools, Scriptaculous and other topics about web design,  directly from Woork!

Ok friends,  finally a first preview of "The Woork Handbook" is ready to be released. This book is a miscellanea of articles I wrote on my blog in the past year. During the period form January to December 2008 “Woork” has been visited from over 4 millions visitors and I received a lot of requests to distribute a printable version of its contents. In the past days I worked hard to prepare a first version of this handbook and distribute it for free.

Here's the link
Re: The Woork Handbook: Css, Html, Ajax, Web Programming, Mootools, Scriptaculous by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jan 19, 2009
copy-pasters! that is a nice one!  done-time? interesting.
By the way, the link did not seem to work - maybe my browser is the one refusing to show it.
Re: The Woork Handbook: Css, Html, Ajax, Web Programming, Mootools, Scriptaculous by yawatide(f): 7:03pm On Jan 19, 2009
dhtml,

if u look at the url in the addres bar, u will notice a " ' " after the last character. get rid of that, and u r in hog heaven wink

I got my copy though from the TOC, it seems it is covering topics I already know, not to say that learning from a different perspective isn't a good thing cool

thanks castrol!
Re: The Woork Handbook: Css, Html, Ajax, Web Programming, Mootools, Scriptaculous by castrolng: 8:19pm On Jan 19, 2009
I've corrected the URL, thanks yawa.

I guess for you guys the woork handbook is just a little more than a refresher course,  but you never know what vast panoramas a different perspective on a topic holds, especially when it comes from a seasoned professional like Antonio Lupetti.

Thanks guys!
Re: The Woork Handbook: Css, Html, Ajax, Web Programming, Mootools, Scriptaculous by yawatide(f): 8:59pm On Jan 19, 2009
but you never know what vast panoramas a different perspective on a topic holds

Exactly! Maybe I have been performing a task with 5 lines of code but the author does his, and for good reason, with 2 cool
Re: The Woork Handbook: Css, Html, Ajax, Web Programming, Mootools, Scriptaculous by OmniPotens(m): 9:21pm On Jan 19, 2009
E-Book: Added to my archive

Subject: Thanks Castrol

Comments: Until I'm done reading the we can go into discussions.

/*
Sneaks back to his cubicle
*/
Re: The Woork Handbook: Css, Html, Ajax, Web Programming, Mootools, Scriptaculous by Nobody: 11:33am On Jan 21, 2009
Downloading already, feedbacks will come later - i suspect after going through it - maybe i will be able to reduce 10 lines of my regular codes to one line:
var $username= username== "DHTML" ? "omni" == mod == "yawa" ? "lucky" : "dual core";

or something like that - lol
Re: The Woork Handbook: Css, Html, Ajax, Web Programming, Mootools, Scriptaculous by yawatide(f): 3:32pm On Jan 21, 2009
dhtml,

That is some wicked code. It is a sure way to scare off the uninitiated tongue
Re: The Woork Handbook: Css, Html, Ajax, Web Programming, Mootools, Scriptaculous by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jan 21, 2009
yeah, terniary operators scared me off first time i saw it - i was like - these guys must be some wiz!
But that will save you from writing several lines of if, else, if, else, i hav downloaded the book
but hav not yet had time to read it.
Re: The Woork Handbook: Css, Html, Ajax, Web Programming, Mootools, Scriptaculous by yawatide(f): 10:28pm On Jan 21, 2009
Well, IMHO, that particular code is hard to read. Sure you can combine 20 lines of code into one but what happens if someone else is in charge of maintenance. Even if that isn't the case, if you are like me, when you return to code you have written long time ago, you say to yourself, "what kind of igbo was i smoking when I decided to write that?"

I use ternary operators but I go only 1 level deep.
Re: The Woork Handbook: Css, Html, Ajax, Web Programming, Mootools, Scriptaculous by OmniPotens(m): 12:02pm On Jan 22, 2009
DHTML, pleaseeeeeee, don't scare newbies away with these skill of coding. They'll simply think we are crazy in here.

But, I'll love to code that way so that works will be easier for me. grin
Re: The Woork Handbook: Css, Html, Ajax, Web Programming, Mootools, Scriptaculous by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jan 22, 2009
@yawa - i made a site once - somewhat close to hi5.com - but the owner tried to cheat me half way - and disappeared with about 70K dat he was owing me - thanks to my crazy style of coding - if u see the full source code of any site i have made - it is worse than encryption (it is a form of security).
So this guy in essence "duped me" of over 100K (that was several foolish years ago 2005 actually) -  but fortunately for me, he was not able to get anyone to continue the site - so the site went down, but luckily i did not loose the initial part payment - so i won in the end!
I get to keep the source code (which i have used several times for presentations in the past) and still got away clean with over 100K!
If my "compiled codes" - as my friends chose to call it - had not been used in that deal - i would hav lost hopelessly!
Re: The Woork Handbook: Css, Html, Ajax, Web Programming, Mootools, Scriptaculous by yawatide(f): 7:57pm On Jan 22, 2009
But he still owes you 100K cool

The days of job security are over. You should use good software development practices ALL the time. With respect to your situation, what you do to remedy it is a better way to collect your money and not writing obfuscated code.
Re: The Woork Handbook: Css, Html, Ajax, Web Programming, Mootools, Scriptaculous by Nobody: 7:16am On Jan 23, 2009
I told you dat was several foolish years ago (then my efficiency was measured by the number of jobs i can get done in a year) - now i hav more wicked techniques of getting my money back and still protect my code using my now-regular technique - and  my new techniques seem to work well - plus i am alwayz upgrading them. The problem was that - when i was just starting then, i was alwayz thinking about how i am going to get tasks done, scripts and all and spend little time thinkin about how to get my money balance and all - but these days, since i dont need to think abt coding - i focus more on my clients and the deal at hand.
Re: The Woork Handbook: Css, Html, Ajax, Web Programming, Mootools, Scriptaculous by yawatide(f): 3:51pm On Jan 23, 2009
cool, but the fact remains that wether it was 10 years ago or yesterday, he still owes u 100K, wicked code or not cool

As long as you have fine-tuned your money-collection process, it's all good but again, that doesn't take awy from the fact that even if you have forgiven him or stopped pursuing, he still owes you 100K.
Re: The Woork Handbook: Css, Html, Ajax, Web Programming, Mootools, Scriptaculous by OmniPotens(m): 4:20pm On Jan 23, 2009
Pls, can I go for the money? Contact details please. shocked

Remember the caption please. We have YIM for interactions. tongue
Re: The Woork Handbook: Css, Html, Ajax, Web Programming, Mootools, Scriptaculous by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jan 23, 2009
Yeah right - we still need to get the money back - i know where the guy lives - ehm, omni - i will call you when i am ready so u go follow me go!
Re: The Woork Handbook: Css, Html, Ajax, Web Programming, Mootools, Scriptaculous by castrolng: 9:36am On Jan 27, 2009
it's good you made the "guy" pay upfront, about 45%, these days I'm looking for 60-70% upfront on any project, some clients think I'm off the edge but I think its more secure,

Back to the Woork handbook, I'm enjoying it but I dropped it for a while.

My question is: for rounded corners what do you prefer: images or nifty corners with css or javascript?
Re: The Woork Handbook: Css, Html, Ajax, Web Programming, Mootools, Scriptaculous by yawatide(f): 4:00pm On Jan 27, 2009
For me, it's anything that keeps me away from using images.
Re: The Woork Handbook: Css, Html, Ajax, Web Programming, Mootools, Scriptaculous by castrolng: 4:32pm On Jan 27, 2009
I share you views: images are an extra for file size optimization concerns, I was asking cos I noticed that the woork book consistently made use of images for rounded corners,
Re: The Woork Handbook: Css, Html, Ajax, Web Programming, Mootools, Scriptaculous by yawatide(f): 5:04pm On Jan 27, 2009
When was the book published? Either way, this goes to confirm that I have been saying for a while - you can't know it all. It is possible that the guy isn't aware that rounded corners can be achieved in css/javascript.
Re: The Woork Handbook: Css, Html, Ajax, Web Programming, Mootools, Scriptaculous by TechPros(m): 7:59pm On Jan 27, 2009
<?php

echo"i guess every one have is own way of achievng a task.
remember the important thing is that the task is achieved.";

?>

Re: The Woork Handbook: Css, Html, Ajax, Web Programming, Mootools, Scriptaculous by yawatide(f): 8:11pm On Jan 27, 2009
as efficiently as possible wink

Tech Pros, your code go even compile so? cool
Re: The Woork Handbook: Css, Html, Ajax, Web Programming, Mootools, Scriptaculous by TechPros(m): 8:23pm On Jan 27, 2009
<?php

echo"

@ yawa
you know what i like about you, just call me and i will tell u but don't call around 6pm to 8pm, cos i should be with my girl grin wink.

";
?>
Re: The Woork Handbook: Css, Html, Ajax, Web Programming, Mootools, Scriptaculous by castrolng: 9:47am On Jan 28, 2009
the woork handbook is a compilation of Antonio's blog entries for 2008.

I'll drop him a line about the optimization implications,

thanks yawa!
Re: The Woork Handbook: Css, Html, Ajax, Web Programming, Mootools, Scriptaculous by yawatide(f): 4:13pm On Jan 28, 2009
Actually castrol, I was addressing Tech Pros who was saying that the main thing is that a task get done, or achieved. I only tacked on that it is not enough just to get the job achieved but to do so in the most efficient way possible.

I haven't actually looked at the book yet though I should very soon.

Thanks,
Re: The Woork Handbook: Css, Html, Ajax, Web Programming, Mootools, Scriptaculous by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jan 28, 2009
As for the nifty corners, it depends, best is to use css, lazy way is to use images (when u have a deadline)

(1) (Reply)

Difference Between Wp & Bg Which One Is Better - Blogger Vs Wordpress - soltesh / Suggestions and Feature Requests For Voguepay / Top 5 Freelance Jobs Listing Sites In 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.