Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,373 members, 7,808,302 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:06 AM

Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos (10318 Views)

African Rockstar! Davido Thrills Fans In Abidjan,and The Show Hasnt Even Happend / Any Rock Fans In This House ? What Are Ur Fav Bands? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by eldee(m): 12:11am On Jan 27, 2009
princesa:

u mean the attitude and reason involved
oh! come off it, they are both different topics entirely cheesy
but, it does depends on perspective, that, i have come to realise
but mine girlfriend, is that Rock is demonic grin take it or leave it
Thank you smiley

Ask an inspector of the Kwara State Police Dept.
He'll come out and say 'That goat is an armed robbery suspect, take it or leave it'

The fact that urs is about indie rock doesn't make it any more reasonable

KarmaMod:

Chic is hella embarrassing.
It's just a phase, it's just like the Santa Story, she'll outgrow it
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by Nobody: 12:44am On Jan 27, 2009
Demonic my almost flat behind. cool

Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos

There are. There's a radio show on Metro FM and it's all about rock every Tuesday and Thursday by 5pm or thereabout. I don't know if it still airs. You would be suprised people call in always (including text messages) making request on rock songs.

Funny my rock friends were from the church in Lagos cheesy
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by princesa(f): 9:46am On Jan 27, 2009
@eldee
enuf of the bicker dude,
you are not a lady, as if lady argue more undecided
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by dastudent(m): 9:49am On Jan 27, 2009
There are lots of things rock can do to you all i can say is that its an inspiration to most rap artist.
 Did you guys know that after evanescence won the grammy awards for best hard rock performance,pdiddy went to her backstage and told her that she was an inspiration to him.The ,she called him a freak.But get the point.
 these are the set of albums i am listening to right now
       Staind
       paramore
       hinder
       gavin degraw(not sure you guys would agree he is rock)
       chris daughtry
       evanescence

cant think too much right now, but if it was not for staind,i wouldnt be listening to heavy metal.i prefare alternative and indie rock.
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by justkunmi(m): 5:32pm On Jan 27, 2009
da student. .
nice list u gat there. .
was stuck on those guys for a while. .
Hinder is crazy. .Extreme behaviour. I love Better than me, Get stoned and Shoulda Woulda.

Gavin Degraw is not particularly rock, like u guessed people would say. But he has some songs that have thay rock feel. . I dont wann be, Chariot. .great songs.

Staind is right up there. I grew up listening to Staind. All the albums. 14 shades of grey was the best. .

currently stuck on
Within Temptation. evanescence like
Kamelot (kinda heavy stuff)
Nickelback's new album - Dark Horse
Seether
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by iice(f): 5:36pm On Jan 27, 2009
NIN cool
Metallica cool
Korn
Marilyn sef cool
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by justkunmi(m): 5:41pm On Jan 27, 2009
iice. .
u do marilyn? nice. . grin
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by iice(f): 6:42pm On Jan 27, 2009
Yes ooo grin
Plus the dude cracks me up with his craziness.
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by eldee(m): 5:21pm On Jan 28, 2009
princesa:

@eldee
enuf of the bicker dude,
you are not a lady, as if lady argue more undecided

Erm, this is not bickering, this is me and the rest of NL telling you to step into the 21st Century
For goodness sake, those bollocks on demonism and what not went with last century

And if you're not going to listen to a genre of music because of these pre-instilled opinions, respect yourself and leave us to our demon worshipping
Afterall, there are over 1000 other interesting topics of discussion in this section

justkunmi:

iice. .
u do marilyn? nice. . grin
How do you guys manage that dude??
I've tried my best to stay through one song but it always feels like punishment

I'm still waiting for any Kings of Leon pple or maybe Oasis
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by Shaz(f): 5:29pm On Jan 28, 2009
@KarmaMod,

I mainly listen to Tonéx, OGG, Triple O, T-Bone, LeCrae, etc. .
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by spikedcylinder: 9:50am On Jan 29, 2009
eldee:

I'm still waiting for any Kings of Leon pple or maybe Oasis

I don't know about Kings of Leon but I'm  a big fan of Oasis!!!! They are so irregular, i.e usually their son g titles have no identical correlation with the songs itself except you listen to them closely enough.

I have every album they ever made from Definitely Maybe to Dig out your soul plus their greatest hits CDs.

Wait a min, were you saying you don't like them ?
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by Tatase(f): 8:37am On Jan 30, 2009
I know quite a few rock fans in Lagos. My brother listens almost exclusively to hard rock. I like all sorts of music myself from bubble gum pop to R&B to country to Rock and Punk. Rock is my "nobody-understands-me"/ "I'm-mad-at-the-world" mood music. Some of my favorite rock and punk musicians are:

Rock
Three Days Grace
Thriving Ivory
Buckcherry
Three Doors Down
Third Day (christian rock band)
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Seether

Punk
Home Grown
Mest
Fountains of Wayne
Bowling for Soup
The Starting Line
Good Charlotte
Fall Out Boy
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by justkunmi(m): 2:03pm On Jan 30, 2009
Oasis is cool. .
liked Wonderwall.

but like spikey said, they are kinda very irregular. .
i liked only 2 songs on the Wonderwall album.

anyone listens to Keane? really cool band.
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by blinx(m): 5:04pm On Jan 30, 2009
@princesa
u cant rule out demon completely from rock or any other genre of music but i think rock is more pronounce. I also want you to know that there are lots of gospel rock band out there, even heavy metal gospel rock, atleast i've seen some on the net and in Wow videos. I love rock alot but definitly not metal. The hardest i go is
linking park,
evanescence,
Green day and
Nikleback.
My fav rock bands are
U2,
cold play,
Bon jovi
5 for fighting,
Oasis,
Nirvana,
one republic,
3 doors down,
Creed,
The fray
Gorillaz
Hoobastank
James Blunt
Kelly Clarkson
Michael W. Smith(Gopel)
Peter Cetera
Red hot chili peper.

These are the ones i can think of now but generally i love the easy rock so much.
I equally like the classic rock like Phil colins, Bryan Adams, Chicago, Elton John and their likes.
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by spikedcylinder: 6:16pm On Jan 30, 2009
Strawberry Swing, Coldplay. Is it just me or is anyone else really loving the song right now?
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by akpos4uall(m): 6:54pm On Jan 30, 2009
Although I do not stay in Lagos, most of the rock buddies I knew while I schooled in Owerri were all based in Lagos. I stay in Port Harcourt and sometimes in Ughelli. I became a rock fan after two years of weekin weekout of watching WWE. If you do as well as play the game Smackdown Vs Raw you will understand better. Thats why some say its for action.

blinx:

@princesa
u cant rule out demon completely from rock or any other genre of music but i think rock is more pronounce. I also want you to know that there are lots of gospel rock band out there, even heavy metal gospel rock, atleast i've seen some on the net and in Wow videos. I love rock alot but definitly not metal. The hardest i go is
linking park,
evanescence,
Green day and
Nikleback.
My fav rock bands are
U2,
cold play,
Bon jovi
5 for fighting,
Oasis,
Nirvana,
one republic,
3 doors down,
Creed,
The fray
Gorillaz
Hoobastank
James Blunt
Kelly Clarkson
Michael W. Smith(Gopel)
Peter Cetera
Red hot chili peper.

These are the ones i can think of now but generally i love the easy rock so much.
I equally like the classic rock like Phil colins, Bryan Adams, Chicago, Elton John and their likes.
In addition to What you have in your list, I also like
Staind
Saliva
Puddle Of Mudd
Maroon 5
Daughtry
Simpleplan
Micheal Jackson
All American Rejects
Switchfoot
My fav are
3 Doors Down
Nickelback
Evanescence
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jan 31, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Strawberry Swing, Coldplay. Is it just me or is anyone else really loving the song right now?

thanks. got over 80gb of music and downloading more - no real way of picking what to listen to
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by justkunmi(m): 2:24pm On Jan 31, 2009
spikedcylinder:

OMG!! :otot I was only the one. .
the whole album Viva La Vida is practically in my head. .
but I particularly love Strawberry Swing, Violet Hill and Lost!. .crazy songs. .

I think this is Coldplay's best album. next is A Rush of Blood to the Head,
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by KarmaMod(f): 3:07pm On Jan 31, 2009
eldee, Thanks for talking to that thing. As for me, I don wash my hands off were. Notice how these "oh it's so demonic" people havent responded to my post about vulgar lyrics from other genres. Cant say Im surprised.

iice, Metallica? Just the fact that they killed Napster is enough for me to never listen to their shitty music.

NIN is better than Marilyn IMO. Dude tries too hard, plus Trent's aleast attractive, or was, last time I saw him, he had gained weight.

Not even gonna touch the Korn mention tongue

Good Charlotte/Fall Out Boy, wannabe punk. More to punk than guy eyeliner. Their music is usually about social injustice. FOB tries with such, GC is just fluff  angry [size=4pt]ma binu o, tatase[/size]  tongue

cant think too much right now, but if it was not for staind,i wouldnt be listening to heavy metal

Staind is plain rock. Nothing heavy metal about them. They're in teh same sect as Hinder, Daughtry, Nickelback and co. So you can feel better now that you dont listen to heavy metal at all  wink
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by KarmaMod(f): 3:08pm On Jan 31, 2009
Coldplay is cool. Havent heard Strawberry Swing though.

Spike, how did you get into Mouldy Peaches and such
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by A40(m): 3:35pm On Jan 31, 2009
I am addicted to Coldplay's Lost right now! What else can you ask for when the best rock band and the best rapper come together to do a track? grin grin
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by justkunmi(m): 11:06pm On Feb 01, 2009
A40
Are you talking 'bout Homecoming? Kanye West and Chris Martin? or is there another Lost with a rapper in it?
nice collabo anyways. .

Anyone listens to Panic! At the Disco?
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by spikedcylinder: 8:19am On Feb 02, 2009
oyb:

thanks. got over 80gb of music and downloading more - no real way of picking what to listen to

80 gig?? shocked shocked shocked Do you plan to sell music or something? tongue cheesy

justkunmi:

OMG!! :otot I was only the one. .
the whole album Viva La Vida is practically in my head. .
but I particularly love Strawberry Swing, Violet Hill and Lost!. .crazy songs. .

I think this is Coldplay's best album. next is A Rush of Blood to the Head,

Yea, I like that Viva La Vida album but for me, after that would be The Scientist. I love that album as well.

KarmaMod:

Coldplay is cool. Havent heard Strawberry Swing though.

Spike, how did you get into Mouldy Peaches and such

You should listen to Strawberry Swing, its quite good. I don't really know how I got into moldy peaches but my friend and I used to listen to a lot of Kimya Dawson's indie songs in school and when I found out she was part of the Peaches, Voila!

justkunmi:

Anyone listens to Panic! At the Disco?

I like that their song, "The Only Difference Between Martyrdom And Suicide Is Press Coverage".
Yep,thats actually the title. Mad people. grin
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by Tatase(f): 5:13am On Feb 03, 2009
KarmaMod:

Good Charlotte/Fall Out Boy, wannabe punk. More to punk than guy eyeliner. Their music is usually about social injustice. FOB tries with such, GC is just fluff  angry ma binu o, tatase  tongue
Staind is plain rock. Nothing heavy metal about them. They're in teh same sect as Hinder, Daughtry, Nickelback and co. So you can feel better now that you dont listen to heavy metal at all  wink

No problem. I recognize they're emo/pop-punk, I still like them. But I do think that pop-punk IS a relevant punk sub-genre so I guess we disagree there. The Ramones were (pop) punk but they didn't necessarily sing about social change.

I know a lot of people like Coldplay but to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of Coldplay at all. They're songs are all a little funeral dirge- sounding even when the themes are upbeat; I think it's Chris Martin's whiny, somewhat unearthly voice that grates on me after a little.

@ Spiked Cylinder, not many people I know, know the Moldy Peaches. They're a little weird but funny, I like them though I haven't really listened to any of their newer stuff. I used to creep my brother out when I was in secondary school singing "These Burgers Are Crazy" and "My Name Is Jorge Regula" in that eerie zombie emotionless voice.

About rock being the um "music of the devil": I think some of it is actually demonic (like death metal and black metal) because sometimes specific artists profess to worship the devil and it comes across in their songs. However, it's incredibly stupid to say all rock music is devil music. There's devil-worshiper folk music too. In my second year of undergraduate study, my neighbour was a satanist and her religious music was more folksy than heavy metal. Of course, I just tried to avoid her either way.
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by KarmaMod(f): 5:47am On Feb 03, 2009
They're songs are all a little funeral dirge- sounding even when the themes are upbeat; I think it's Chris Martin's whiny, somewhat unearthly voice that grates on me after a little.

Lmao. I tend to like depressing songs so maybe that's why I dont mind. They tend to have the most poignant lyrics.

The most depressing song in the world is Coldplay's "Trouble".   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwGHQ6WyQFU Definitely sounds more miserable as an mp3 than on the video. Anyway I swear that song is enough to make you slit your wrist.  The piano's intro and outro sef is just so SAD. Not like "omg it's sounds so horrible you wanna die", more like "this is so damn depressing that life isnt worth living" Ironically it's one of my fav Coldplay songs. Used to play the hell out of it in college.

Are you saying The Romones' "The KKK Took My Baby Away" isnt about social injustice?  grin
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by Nobody: 4:27pm On Feb 03, 2009
i like rock that has a conscience grin

so to add to what has already been said some rock/metal etc bands have been none to associate with the devil
whether they really believe it or they think its a fad na their business but i probably wont listen to them.

That said this is not restricted to rock and the likes

generally i listen to christian groups/bands/artists (all genres)

but i have a soft spot for rock above all the rest
But Lyrics are tres important

But sometimes the lyrics of some great rock songs are not good medicine when u r sad wink
chei u no go wan stand up from ur bed sef.

Heavy metal? this is a difficult sell for me cos the sound is sooooooooo loud i almost think they dont want me to hear what they are saying.

@Shaz
is T-bone a rock artist - thot he was rap, in fact i'm sure he's rap artist
it should be examples like Jars of Clay , Barlow Girl,

even Tonex - isnt he more r n b , soul
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by spikedcylinder: 3:55pm On Feb 04, 2009
@ Spiked Cylinder, not many people I know, know the Moldy Peaches. They're a little weird but funny, I like them though I haven't really listened to any of their newer stuff. I used to creep my brother out when I was in secondary school singing "These Burgers Are Crazy" and "My Name Is Jorge Regula" in that eerie zombie emotionless voice.

Lol! I thought I was the only one. . . .

But I prefer Kimya as a single artiste though, The Peaches makes her sound more mainstream.
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by A40(m): 6:20pm On Feb 04, 2009
justkunmi:

A40
Are you talking 'bout Homecoming? Kanye West and Chris Martin? or is there another Lost with a rapper in it?
nice collabo anyways. .

Naah not homecoming! Homecoming was on Kanye's album this song "Lost" is on Coldplay's album and it has Jay-Z on it
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by Tatase(f): 4:00am On Feb 05, 2009
KarmaMod:

Lmao. I tend to like depressing songs so maybe that's why I dont mind. They tend to have the most poignant lyrics.

The most depressing song in the world is Coldplay's "Trouble".   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwGHQ6WyQFU Definitely sounds more miserable as an mp3 than on the video. Anyway I swear that song is enough to make you slit your wrist.  The piano's intro and outro sef is just so SAD. Not like "omg it's sounds so horrible you wanna die", more like "this is so damn depressing that life isnt worth living" Ironically it's one of my fav Coldplay songs. Used to play the hell out of it in college.

Are you saying The Romones' "The KKK Took My Baby Away" isnt about social injustice? grin

No, not at all. But I am saying "I Wanna Get Sedated" is about getting high and "Baby I love you" is about well. . . love, and "Surf City" is about Matthew McConaughey (a.k.a. sex, pot and the beach).

As for Coldplay, I heard someone referring to their music as Musak (y'know like elevator/ambient music) today and I totally had a public solitary lol like a mad person in a nollywood movie.
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by 37: 5:29am On Feb 05, 2009
I prefer ghotic rock, symphonic metal, death metal and a bit of devil metal grin

My fav bands

Nightwish
Within temptation
Epica
After forever
Symphony x
Angel fallen
Cradle of filth
Slipknot
Lordi
Godsmack etc etc
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by Nobody: 5:43am On Feb 05, 2009
I don't really like Coldplay. Too soft for me.  tongue

3-7:

I prefer ghotic rock, symphonic metal, death metal and a bit of devil metal grin

My fav bands

Nightwish
Within temptation
Epica
After forever
Symphony x
Angel fallen
Cradle of filth
Slipknot
Lordi
Godsmack etc etc

Only know Godsmack's "I stand alone", the rest are alien to me.

I rarely go heavy metal, but killswitch and System of a down are highly intoxicating. cool

Can't stand Fall out boys these days (their act is more like child's play) but I was impressed with their I'm like a lawyer song . . . prefer Good Charlotte.
Re: Aren't No Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal Fans In Lagos by 37: 5:50am On Feb 05, 2009
Yeah, I stand alone was a sound track for scorpion king movie.

I forgot to add System of a down, lol they used to be my number one band till I discovered nightwish(I mean the old nightwish with tarja as lead singer) not the new nightwish with Anette.

I dont really listen to American rock, I prefer scandinavian, most bands i listen to like Nightwish, lordi, HIs infrenal majesty are finnish bands,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Pictures From Music Meets Runway / Nigerian Artist Capable Of Winning Grammy? / Goldie Harvey - Say My Name ( Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.