Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,135 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:48 AM

Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List (17454 Views)

NSE: Investors Lose N109bn In Two Days As Investor Sentiments Remain weak / Foreign Investors Pull Out Of Nigerian NSE, Economy In Shambles - Bloomberg / Shareholders Of Largest NSE Companies Lose N1120bn In 2 Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List by lalasticlala(m): 5:30pm On Mar 24, 2015
The Nigerian All Share Index is down 15.3% year to date and was one of the worst performing stock exchanges last year. However, that was not enough to stop the NSE Boss Oscar Onyema from being included in the Forbes list of top ten Most Powerful men in Africa. Here is how Forbest describes him:

As a testament to his contributions to the capital markets in Nigeria, in 2014, Oscar Onyema, Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerian Stock Exchange, was made an Officer of the Order of the Niger (OON) in “recognition of his contribution to economic development, the transformation of The Nigerian Stock Exchange and the Nigerian capital markets”. With the Nigerian bourse taking a beating in recent months; the total market capitalization of the Nigerian Stock Exchange, valued at 19.08 trillion Naira ($119.41 billion USD) in 2013, dropped to 16.88 trillion Naira ($90.68 billion USD) at the end of 2014, a decrease of 11.53% in Naira terms, Onyema has had to work in overdrive to restore investor confidence in one of Africa’s largest capital markets.

According to Forbes the list recognizes Africa’s top men leading in the continent’s change and transformation. It is interesting to note that no other Nigerian made that list except Oscar. Oscar has for years been pushing to take Nigerian stock exchange to the $1trillion mark. However, since he became the boss about 4 years ago, the market cap of the exchange has not crossed $100b way short of his target $1trillion. All the same, we say congrats to him

http://nairametrics.com/nse-boss-oscar-onyema-named-in-forbes-list-of-10-most-powerful-men-in-africa/#respond

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List by smakati(m): 5:36pm On Mar 24, 2015
For him mind

Modified* as far as I am concerned he is not powerful, he can be removed at anytime, true power is when you give the president sleepless night a la Buhari and Tinubu

6 Likes

Re: Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List by Infomizer(m): 5:45pm On Mar 24, 2015
And some peeps be looking for coke bottles with their names Lol

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List by Nobody: 5:52pm On Mar 24, 2015
Africa? mtchew I thought it was world sef grin
Re: Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List by LewisO: 6:00pm On Mar 24, 2015
[size=14pt]I give him credit to be able to handle such in progress. [/size]

14 Likes

Re: Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List by ichidodo: 6:00pm On Mar 24, 2015
I dont understand...Tis clear the exchange is still reeling from the crash of 2008 and yet this guv'nor gets accolades for a crappy job?!?!?
Re: Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List by airmark(m): 6:00pm On Mar 24, 2015
Great feat, no matter how.

1 Like

Re: Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List by Nobody: 6:01pm On Mar 24, 2015
What is Forbes?
Re: Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List by Misogynist2014(m): 6:01pm On Mar 24, 2015
How come I don't know him?
Re: Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List by Eslopy(m): 6:01pm On Mar 24, 2015
Lol
ceejayluv:

Try make top ten in your village clan...
Booked
EroticAngelina:
Lol
ceejayluv:

Booked

1 Like

Re: Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List by ceejayluv(m): 6:01pm On Mar 24, 2015
EroticAngelina:

14 Likes

Re: Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List by 50calibre(m): 6:01pm On Mar 24, 2015
There's nothing surprising or special about him being on the list of most powerful people in Africa.

This is not an achievement, given the size & influence of the NSE in Africa, it's only normal that his name is on the list.

Call me when he cracks the world top 10..... Perhaps in 500 years time.
Re: Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List by missbehave247(m): 6:01pm On Mar 24, 2015
Hmmm
Re: Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List by Deltagiant: 6:02pm On Mar 24, 2015
Yes, Op, all the same you have no choice than to congratulate him.
The reason Forbes recognized him is in part due to the fact that there are certain global market precipitations that are beyond any human control.
Oscar is doing a great job under the circumstances surrounding him.

Oguta Obodo girigiri!

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List by steppin: 6:02pm On Mar 24, 2015
Infomizer:
And some peeps be looking for coke bottles with their names Lol
You dey mind them.
Re: Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List by Copee: 6:02pm On Mar 24, 2015
The article says "According to Forbes the list recognizes Africa’s top men leading in the continent’s change and transformation[b][/b]. I thought change is GMB and Transformation is GEJ. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List by Nobody: 6:03pm On Mar 24, 2015
Good technocrat cool
Re: Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List by akinsadeez(m): 6:03pm On Mar 24, 2015
kudos to him. I like the way he has gone about his job with minimum of fuss unlike when Okereke-Onyiuke was the boss of the NSE. That fat woman was mixing politics with her job and it finally led to her downfall. Its not all about making noise in the newspapers. Sometimes it's better to just keep your head down and get on with your job.

1 Like

Re: Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List by Dejohnbull: 6:03pm On Mar 24, 2015
I am only here to congratulate Gej in advance

5 Likes

Re: Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List by taiwoflb: 6:04pm On Mar 24, 2015
Its no surprise Nigeria is the has one of the Bigest economies in africa so anyone holding a key Position in the country will be well recognized in Africa

Court orders NCC, telecom firms to pay APC N500m
SOURCE: http://www.e reporter.com.ng/index.php/national-news/item/4178-court-orders-ncc-telecom-firms-to-pay-apc-n500m
Re: Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List by alabig(m): 6:04pm On Mar 24, 2015
Nice riddance.
Re: Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List by christopher123(m): 6:04pm On Mar 24, 2015
Igbos giving us the younger ones inspiration

Igbos the choosen tribes in Nigeria since 400 BC, Keep the flag flowing brother...it aint easy

Too igbotic i am

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List by andy24(m): 6:06pm On Mar 24, 2015
That's the kind of good news and change we need. Vote wisely

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List by christopher123(m): 6:07pm On Mar 24, 2015
ceejayluv:

no make he make tp 10 in his street, that is why they will never amount to anything in life, they dont understudy but jealous..and this where igbos that fought war and some people were dancing owambe them, they closed the gap and surpassed

may lord be praised for creating me igbo

Congrats

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List by write2obi(m): 6:07pm On Mar 24, 2015
EroticAngelina:
What are you ranked in your local village

4 Likes

Re: Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List by obibanks: 6:08pm On Mar 24, 2015
G
Re: Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List by kay1one2(m): 6:08pm On Mar 24, 2015
ichidodo:
I dont understand...Tis clear the exchange is still reeling from the crash of 2008 and yet this guv'nor gets accolades for a crappy job?!?!?

Some people are still catching profit in it!

3 Likes

Re: Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List by obibanks: 6:09pm On Mar 24, 2015
Front page things
Re: Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List by obibanks: 6:09pm On Mar 24, 2015
It's cool sha
Just like that
Re: Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List by diasporaman(m): 6:12pm On Mar 24, 2015
Oscar Onyema among 10 Africa most powerful men. It is ridiculous. After he has collaborated with the CBN governor and Ngozi Okonji Iweala in making Aliko Dangote loose half of his fortune due to the unending nosediving of the Nigeria currency.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine / Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg / Banks With Best Fixed Deposit Rates? 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.